Thread: IRRK: 'Tis the Season of Giving at Omni-HQ

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

IRRK: 'Tis the Season of Giving at Omni-HQ

'Tis the Season of Giving at Omni-HQ
    November 18, 29481 - Brad Talamer [Global]

IRRK - The only clues as to what recently happened is knee-jerk press releases from the OTPC & the ICC, with all those involved either keeping silent or going incognito. Despite the silence though, a little investigation has revealed the details of what may be the most impressive "gesture" of the year.

By now you will have likely read the press releases from the OTPC & the ICC, and have been wondering what happened - Other than it involved rollerrats and that it resulted in red faces at Omni-Tek's senior administration, there are no details on how, what, or why (although when & where are already answered). What the ICC press release doesn't say is that the recent issue is between Omni-Admin and the Newland Council, what the OTPC release doesn't say is that what happened is Newland's reaction to an order from Omni-Admin. Unlike those who have already kept quiet for the most part, this reporter can exclusively reveal the details in extensive detail.

The metaphorical fuse was lit after a recently delivery to Newland's mayor, Zephrem "Toog" King. Contained in the delivery was a crate of ID chips that, according to an accompanying letter, were to be handed out to the city's neutral citizens, and were required to be worn at all times else be detained by Omni patrols. For the most part, nothing else was heard about it after that...until a couple of days ago. While Omni-Tek's Directors & Affiliates had their monthly meeting in the heart of Omni-HQ, a low-flying shuttle hovering overhead released the NLC's creative response to the order - Around two hundred rollerrats, all alive & kicking and "prepared" with the ID chips placed inside each rollerrat. The raining vermin disrupted the meeting as all hands tried to eliminate them all, with all of them killed after a while. The stunt by Newland's government has left notum on the collective faces of Omni-Tek, and has ensured that Newland's voice has been heard in regards to the Omni-Admin order.

The details after that get a little scattered, depending on who you talk to. It is known that the NLC's decision and subsequent plan to send them back was the result of an unannounced emergency meeting between Mayor King and several of the Newland ministers. However, in the aftermath of the stunt, Newland's ministers have kept a low profile - With the Mayor going as far incognito as to not being seen since before the Omni-Tek meeting. However, despite a likely backlash by Omni-Tek forces, several Newland ministers have been brave enough to give their take of what happened, under the cover of anonymity.

"Not liking being suddenly told we have to wear these Omni-issued IDs, we decided it would be best to ship them back to omni inside of rollerrats," explained one minister. "However the deployment method was not discussed." The minister went on, noting that "I was for the rollerrat idea, but I wouldn't have went along with it had I know they were going to dropped on people like that". The minister declined to reveal who actually came up with the delivery method, but was kind enough to provide IRRK access to the notorious letter that started it all - Due to Admin's forceful & absolute tone in the letter, which was attached to the crate of chips, it is no surprise that the NLC decided to act in the way it did.

Another minister carried on, deciding to speak after provokation by Omni-Reform to publicly condemn 200 of what NLC considers its citizens being executed. "I disapprove of Omni's overreaction to this, and personally wonder as to the mental state of the directors", noted the minister, "They are already at war on two fronts, with the Aliens and the Clans, and are now trying to incite conflict with us, when we just want to be left to our own devices." The long-running Minister carried on, giving her own version of events - "By vote, we decided to return the chips. One of the councillors suggested the rats. We forgot that Omni employees have their sense of humour removed as standard." The minister finished off by giving a message to Omni-Admin - "We decide how and when we will identify and observe our own citizens."

Even within the council, the design had its opponents with a third Newland minister noting her concerns of the mayor's recent behaviour. "What Toog was suggesting amounted to public harassment of a large, millitant hypercorporation," noted the third minister. "Normally, the mayor is fairly even handed, but lately the mayor has been slightly off kilter. He doesn't talk to us, listens less, and spends all his time locked in his office." Mentioning her original wish to investigate the chips, she gave her view of what they were: "I suppose they could have been tracking chips or some such. I could spin some wild stories but that wouldn't help the truth of the matter, which I just don't know - Toog more or less circumvented that. I suggested that we investigate the chips to see what Omni-Tek's intentions were precisely. He passed it off and suggested that, and I quote: 'They are only another way for Omni-Tek to suppress us', which sounds very clan to me." The minister concluded by noting her reluctance for a war to start between the two parties.

Despite the Newland Council considering themselves justified in how their creative return policy, many in Omni-Tek seem to think otherwise. Sotto "Trousers" Mahoney, who has acted as an unofficial liaison between Omni-Tek & the NLC in the past, expressed sympathy for the Council but also regret for their actions. "While I do not agree with Omni-Admin's approach in dealing with the Council of Newland City," answered the Bureaucrat, "I do have to admit that the actions of the Newland City Council do ring true and clear with the anti Omni-Tek stance the Council has taken in the past. I fear that if the Newland City Council continues to act with complete disregard for Law that a situation may erupt that could stand to alter the political landscape of Rubi-Ka for decades to come." Mahoney also noted that Omni-Admin's actions were "brutish at best" - "If changes to Omni-Tek law that impact the Neutral Community are going to be enforced, the addressing of these changes is better left to us diplomats then to corporate bureaucrats."

Despite the disagreement with Admin, Trousers criticised the NLC's actions, noting that "just because laws are passed that one does not agree with does not mean they should be disregarded." Mahoney confirmed that Omni-Tek had no advance knowledge of the NLC's response, noting that he found out about it later from word of mouth, as well as confirming Omni-Tek's line that the NLC broke the law, concluding that "this event has and will continue to stress the relationship between Newland City and the Corporation. I can only hope that the Council takes the proper steps early enough to avoid the penalties I just mentioned."

What is interesting though is that despite those in senior positions at Omni-HQ are lambasting the neutral city, there are an equal amount on the field who see the present giving in a lighter mood. "It may have been childish, but it was just a harmless prank, in my opinion," started Captain "Gustavis" Caesar of the Omni-Pol Bureau of Investigation. "I do not think the directors were too happy about it. Many people will not like it, but I actually found the prank to be quite funny." Although not knowing of the ID chips issue, the Captain, who is known for his calm & calculated manner in the face of conflict, expressed his disagreement of the Omni-Admin order, but also concerns of relations between the corporation & Newland: "It is not one of our cities. Although we still have a lease on the planet, the ICC protects the very existence of the Neutrals. Still, Omni-Admin had demands and they were not met - That definitely strains the relationship."

In the interview with IRRK, Gustavis was accompanied by Lieutenant "Njenad" Kimpton who also weighed in to the discussion. "No one was harmed during the incident so I think the effect will be minimal," noted the Lieutenant. "I think, or hope, the most we will see is some slaps on the wrists and maybe overnight in a detention cell. I presume no damage to property was made, so I see no reason for a more intense reaction." The Lieutenant also displayed a similar sense of humour to his superior, seeming genuinely surprised & impressed at the work put in by the NLC. "They put these into real rats - Well, that's some trouble they went through. Some humor is nice every once in a while, especially in our line of work." The pair wrapped up with the Captain giving his prediction of Omni-Tek's reaction - "I wonder how this will play out in the long run - I have not been issued any orders as to the incident yet. A light reaction would be what Lt. Kimpton said. An extreme reaction would, of course, involve an invasion and arrests - But let's hope that does not happen."

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar
    Despite the threats received from Omni-Tek for the Newland Council, the Clans are providing something a little different - Laughter, thumbs up and offers of free drinks. Leading the bar tab is Alpha Omega's Kenneth "Nulion" Age. "The fact that Omni-Tek was trying to push its ID chips onto the Newland City populace, whether it's the Council members themselves or the entire town, is just....extremely questionable," noted the Squad Commander. "To say the least, they reacted in a good-spirited way. I actually think a good portion of the Council of Truth would commend Newland's Council for doing what they did. Gives us all a laugh...Well, gave me one at least." Nulion continued on with theories of the ID chips containing tracking technology to keep an eye on the Newland populace, before commenting on Omni-Tek's public reaction to the airdrop - "Maybe it did disrupt the meeting, but it got the message through very well in a non-lethal way. It goes to show how little a sense of humor Omni-Tek actually has - I already know they don't have much of one." Age finished off with a message to Omni-Tek - "Get over it. Newland doesn't want ID tags if they're issued by anybody else. They want to be able to take care of themselves? Let them."

Following on behind in commenting is another Council of Truth member, Naughty "Playboyfixer" Will, who instead took a more militant stance. "I think it was a good move," noted the Digital Alliance president. "They should have dropped something more lethal down there though - Maybe rollerrats with a contagious disease or so." Will also confirmed that the CoT had no involvement in Newland's plans before adding his own theories to the Omni-Admin order. "It's obvious what Omni-Tek tries to do", elaborated Playboyfixer, "First they planned to capture all satellite dishes to control all outgoing messages both on Rubi-Ka and towards other planets, thus spying on every person here. Now they want to plant every Omni and neutral with chips. Maybe those chips got something to paralyse the host, would fit them even better - Just press a button, everyone in Newland paralysed, walk in there & secure it. They're clearly up to something and by having an eye on where every neutral goes, no one will be safe." The Truth member finished with a message to all those reading, noting to let him know of plans to harass the corporation for some extra assistance.

Those who have been keeping track of who has been commenting about will notice an interesting pattern - Despite the varied amount of people giving their views, there is a space large enough for the Omni administration that's missing, well...the Omni administration. While Omni-Tek's diplomatic staff and senior Omni-Pol officers have no problem in providing their views in an open discussion, each of the Omni-Tek Directors & affiliates have either been unavailable for comment or, in the case of Omni-Reform affiliate Corporal "Kaydemp" Kay, flat out refusing to talk to IRRK. The administration have basically announced that they will be reporting on the incident via OTPC's own reporters, including (and coincidentally) Omni-Reform's Marion "Vinwooke" Vein. As a friendly rival, this reporter can't comment on how you should take the reports from Omni-Tek - But "pinch of salt" springs to mind. The only exception to the quiet is RUR President Charissa "Dabblez" Jurik, who ironically resigned as an affiliate at the meeting. As per agreements with Omni-Tek, Jurik remained tight-lipped about the meeting, noting that certain policies and measures were discussed which she felt she couldn't endorse - Although IRRK can't confirm for certain whether these "certain policies" involve the rollerrat drop or instead a motion to provide free cake to all Atrox with orange jumpsuits. However, noting it as public knowledge, Dabblez went on record to call the ID chip order "an asinine idea".

What this all mean in the end can't be said at this point, but luckily the present has now been extensively reported - That an Omni-Tek department foolishly tried to force unnecessary leashes onto an independant city, and that the city returned them in an equally ridiculous manner. Various sides have spent the last week trying to keep this under lock, only releasing basic details to send messages to those in the know - And if the cover-up was successful, it wouldn't have been far-fetched for Omni-Tek to have silently "taken care" of those who were behind the rollerrat delivery, or to spin it as an attack by the NLC that would have justified occupying the city as a retaliation. With the evident media blackout, it has become important for such events to be known across Rubi-Ka regardless of allegiance.

With the news of what happened now circulating through independant articles and word of mouth, what happens remains to be seen. The directors & affiliates of Omni-Tek have been left embarrased by the circumstances, although how much depends on whether they still have the ability to laugh at themselves, or to listen to others. Omni-Admin will be blushing a little more than the rest, but at least it will make them reconsider giving orders to a neutral settlement in the future. On the other side, it is very unlikely that there won't be questions about Newland's ministers by its citizens, since it's almost certain that ministers will be asking some questions about Zephrem King's judgement as Mayor.

Regardless, it has got the message across to Omni-Tek that while Newland is open to discussion on diplomatic channels, will object to Omni-Tek's intrusions & demands of the city. The best outcome seems to require both the NLC & Omni-Tek discussing their affairs seperately & internally, and then to open discussion again with each other. Regardless, it is hoped that Newland will stick to their message now that they've dropped it over Omni-HQ - Otherwise the credibility & impact of this incident will drop faster than the airborne rollerrats, and that would be a much bigger tragedy.

In several occasion Omni Tek have tried to install a constant surveillance on the neutral population with or without consent. And after all of this mayor King received this crate with a letter from Omni Admin acting like if the neutrals are Omni employees wearing green and grey for fun. Statement have been made.

Now it's up to Omni Tek. We can be all peaceful and civilized like a lot of my fellows neutrals are and start again on a fresher basis, or Omni Tek can try to beat our mayor with the "full weight of the law" and I, as my minister position requires of me, make sure that this threat to our security and independance is taken care of. And I make no exception.
    Last edited by Boltgun; Nov 18th, 2007 at 18:09:19.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

who has acted as an unofficial liaison between Omni-Tek & the NLC in the past
    That's officially, and currently; I made that apparent during the interview. I'd appreciate if this were corrected.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Maybe next time if they try that respectful approach, we'll show some more respect in our response.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

They have done what??? Why the funny things happens when I am on vacantion?
    Hikari "Aerya" Hirano (Level 220 AI 30 LE 70) Number of Invaders killed: 108121 [Equipment]
    Squad Commander of First Order (retired)
    OT-Reform Officer

"Remember, Bigman, it is easy "protect society" by executing a criminal, but that will not bring back his victims. If one can cure him instead and use him to make life better and brighter for that society, how much more has been accomplished!"
    I.Asimov

This is OT-Reform way.
    We do not KILL people... We PROCESS them

This whole affair makes me think there's either someone very incompetent at Omni Admin or the ID chip idea was simply a provocation. It wasn't hard to predict the reaction of the council to an order like that.
    Anamelle Marecki, adventurer, leader of Lumen Orien
    Llesa Varela, MP
    Alossa Laurence, beaurocrat, director of Newland News
    Erissen Altaire, doctor
    Vektria Ervasse, fixer
    Daeranne Smith, engineer, Last Ditch Academy scientist
    Lumen Orien

They knew we would not react well. I think we were awfully polite in taking it in a good humoured manner, rather than as an outright insult.

yep, and gratz on being new science minister
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

((RK2 - I've always been Science minister ))

Cool

(( yeah kinda thought so when reading a 2nd thread xD
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.