Thread: IRRK: The Engineer's New Clothes

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

IRRK: The Engineer's New Clothes

The Engineer's New Clothes
    November 18, 29481 - Brad Talamer [Global]

IRRK - Fashion can be a funny thing in this galaxy - Styles that you would never think of can suddenly become a galactic hit. However, what were originally the kind nature of a Borealis resident has started a possible new trend for Rubi-Ka.

The past ten years alone have seen local cultures have an influence on the fashion scene - First it was young professionals on Omni-Prime wearing finely-made suits with rustic metal pads over the elbows and shoulders. Then it was local celebrities on New Eden running into every fountain they come across to keep their clothes soaking wet in the climate. And there was a (thankfully) short period where people decided to emulate the fashion habits of the natives on frontier planet Q'fallag...which seemed to involve wearing nothing at all except a heavy metal helmet and a thong made of local flora.

However, it seems that a new fashion style has started in recent weeks on the streets of Rubi-Ka - Pink & yellow. That isn't a mistype. And yet despite the inevitable asking of "Why?", it has somehow become a trend across the planet - Atrox enforcers have been collecting & showing off armor in the style in Rome Green, while Miiir's Fashion have reported that their stock of pink & yellow clothes has been selling out in their West Athen branch. The fashion style is no longer just a style - It's now a trend.

But there a question left to be asked - Just how did this trend become a trend? The obvious answer is that it's the perfect way to receive attention, both good and bad - But for fashion trends, there is usually a catalyst. Asking those interested in the fashion generally yielded no results, because they were more interested in talking about the style itself rather than where they learnt of it (with one Atrox Soldier asking if we knew where to get their Hellspinner painted a coat of pink). However, a tip from a Newland resident and a trip to the city's Miiir branch gave the answer.

Walking in to the boutique revealed a small crowd on the main floor. A Solitus Doctor in the crowd was receiving some tips about not being afraid to use a lot of colours. And in the center of the crowd, all eyes in the room on her, was the one being credited as the style's muse - Pennelope Hollister, aka "Tinkerbots".

For those who regularly read the articles on IRRK, they may remember the name from the recent robot parade as Harland Bregetty's assistant. However, while that spotlight was for Retoolkit, this time it's for Tinkerbots - A result of the unusual colours in a sea of dull coloured armor, as well as the outfits she designs from Miiir terminals and hands out for free to anyone with interest. However, to her it's just a case of helping people out.

Retoolkit looks on from a nearby corner while Tinkerbots carries talking, her eccentric robot CaptainHook nearby. Eventually the Doctor, "Midnightblue", makes her leave and Hollister turns her attention to me, being the last person to enter the room.

"You come to buy clothes too?"

Halfway through explaining that IRRK was interested in interviewing the engineer, she shows off her latest convert - "Leikaring" Pinsvin, who had just been given a new outfit from Tinkerbots. "I love the colors", exclaimed the Adventurer. "I usually run around in all black, but Tinkerbots gave me some great advice." After admiring his outfit for a moment, the trusty audio recorder is started to save the interview for its later production. While most people take a moment to compose themselves, Tinkerbots is probably the first person to spend that time singing into the mic - This becomes a sign that this may not become a typical interview.

We start with a simple question, namely what exactly the style is. "Ohh, well I like pink the best but yellow is nice too - They are happy colors and they make people smile," starts Pennelope. "You can mix and match, the more color the better. Everyone seems to like my glasses but I use them to see. I do have different ones to match my outfits though." She carries on to say that the tutu is her favourite - Because she likes to dance and wear pink. For an Engineer, her reasons for choices are particularly impulsive.

Next question to ask is if she has given a name for her new trend. She thinks for a moment and then comes up with a name on the spot - Colours of Inspiration. No particular reason for the name, not even that it sounded pretty or exciting - And yet the name seemed to fit with its reliance on colour. Not long after giving the answer, a nearby customer is overheard by Hollister mentioning that she wishes she had more credits. Noticing this, Tinkerbots is off like a rollerrat to buy her a new outfit.

At this time, my attention moves to her boss. After spending recent months demonstrating a series of robots for Borealis's defense, it's interesting that his assistant is getting similar attention for a trend not originally planned. "Oh I never really knew that this is any sort of trend - Tinker likes everything to be colorful and happy", noted Bregetty. "She chose this outfit for me too, for the robot parade specifically. I wouldn't be wearing this for work or normally." While we're both talking about Tinkerbots, she is busy giving an outfit to Cynamon, the aforementioned customer. Despite initial reservations, she tries it on and gets used to it, mentioning especially about the colours.

We carry on with the interview, now starting to talk about whether she knew of the trend's influence. The initial reaction is that of surprise, before responding to it - "Well maybe people will fight less with each other then. You can't want to fight someone wearing these colors." When asked how someone should get into the style, Hollister's advice is pretty simple - "Everyone should make their clothes personal. It makes them feel good to put in their own personal touch, don't you think? Anything that stands out is a good way to start. It don't have to be pink or yellow, cause that lady liked blue. Blue goes really nice with yellow. And then add personal touches, like a nice hat or glasses."

At this point, Tinkerbots decides to show me a helmet she uses on occasion - And suddenly I'm reminded again of a past weekend in Q'fallag. Regardless, that isn't my main concern at this point because I'm suddenly being pulled to a terminal by an engineer in an oversized helmet. It seemed that Tinkerbots decided that I was in need of a new outfit and wasn't taking no for an answer.

Five minutes later, and I look as if someone has set the brightness of my original outfit as far as it can go. The arm sleeves remind me of a time when spandex was getting attention (again, another fashion disaster), but the rest of the outfit seems to fit in an unexpected way. Any one of these items may look a little out of the ordinary, but together they seem to complement each other. It seemed like I wasn't the only one, with those present in the shop also giving thumbs-up to the new outfit.

With the interview over, and a new outfit in tow, I take the time to take a few photos and then leave Miiir. Whether the trend will only stay in Rubi-Ka or become another galactic trend remains to be seen, but it seems that the trend's original muse is more happy with making people happy than actually influencing others. I wouldn't say that I'd personally wear my outfit everywhere - But it never hurts to turn a few heads once in a while.

Attached Images:
    Image #1
    Image #2
    Image #3
    Image #4
    Last edited by Editor: IRRK; Nov 18th, 2007 at 13:42:54.

She is a sweetheart, aint she? I swear wherever she goes, she somehow manages to make people smile over some of the simplest things.

Kudos to you, doll.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

yes...erhm...very nice...I think..

Haha, you're an engineer.

heh... who let that clown loose? she is such a joke
    Hikari "Aerya" Hirano (Level 220 AI 30 LE 70) Number of Invaders killed: 108121 [Equipment]
    Squad Commander of First Order (retired)
    OT-Reform Officer

"Remember, Bigman, it is easy "protect society" by executing a criminal, but that will not bring back his victims. If one can cure him instead and use him to make life better and brighter for that society, how much more has been accomplished!"
    I.Asimov

This is OT-Reform way.
    We do not KILL people... We PROCESS them

Id rather see she would make some paint for my Rusty, That should cheer him up....