Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sadly, the time has come for me to leave this world

Sadly, the time has come for me to leave this world

To my friends, enemies, supporters, detractors and colleagues

Since launch I've spent many hours (far too many if truth be told... I could have probably done something more productive in that time, like learning the piano, or irrigating the Sahara ). I've made friends here. Some left, for varying reasons. Some just vanished and were never seen or heard from again. Others I still talk with on a daily basis.

Okay. We're getting to the nostalgic wishy-washy bit, so feel free to flit your eyes down past this part

I'd be lying if I said I hated this game. Such a blanket statement wouldn't do justice to my experiences. In the 15 or so months I've played AO I've experienced joy, excitement, despair, anger, frustration, love, sadness and other emotions too nauseating to mention without losing the few remaining readers that didn't just skip down . But... whatever has happened en masse in the past month, and in more isolated spots beforehand (the number '12.6' still sends a chill down the spine of developer and AO oldie alike), they cannot change the positive memories I've had. For those, I thank both Funcom, for making them possible, and the rest of you, for either being there to share the memories, to instigate the incident, or to be the unwitting victim .

You can resume reading now.

Why am I leaving? Well, much like the First World War, no single factor on its own could be considered the reason, but rather the combination of them together (whee! I managed to fit in a dramatic simile!). Here are the main factors though.

Firstly, having spent 15 months in this game I've pretty much run out of things to do. Those who know me, or have killed me , know that I'm not really a PvP kind of person. The prospect of bringing an Alt up through another 200 levels brings me out in a cold sweat .

Secondly, as many of you know, my Guild 'The Council' recently disbanded, and many of my closest friends left (by choice or circumstance). The 'Demios situation 'has been well publicised, so I won't reiterate. Those who care already know, and those who don't are unlikely to do so just because of lil' ol' me. But needless to say that, given the above, the biggest thing keeping me in-game was my duties as a Founder of TC, and my friends within the Guild. Most of those have now left, and moved on to AC2.

Thirdly, the Arms Race between Britain and Germany, particularly following the construction of HMS Dreadnaught, led to... *Snaps back to reality* Hum... ignore that

There are other factors. Small ones that are too numerous to mention (and this post's long enough as it is ), but those are the overriding ones.

So all that is left is to say 'Farewell'. It's been an eventful 15 months. I'm not going to leave with any bitter recriminations towards Funcom, it's not in my nature. In fact, I truly hope that they can turn the recent perceived decline (at least from my perspective) around and make AO a success... if only so that they can release a sequel to The Longest Journey . I may pop in until my account expires at the start of October, so if you want to hurl abuse try and fit it in before then

For those that are interested, yes I will too be playing AC2 now. Was this a factor? Maybe, but if it wasn't AC2 that I moved to, I'd have returned to UO or nothing at all. My decision to leave AO was made before playing AC2 became a possibility.

I'm not ruling out a return at a later date, and I will not be selling my account, so if you see 'Destria' again in the future, then you know that the Prodigal Daughter has returned!

Remember to use your new gun on a Clan member

Ruthanne 'Destria' Villalba, formerly of "The Council", level 200 Omni-Tek Doctor
    Last edited by Destria; Sep 13th, 2002 at 11:41:43.

/me hands Destria some more XP in AC2

Wink

You were the best, in so many ways Destria, see you soon in a better game
    Hermy
    Shadelore
    Retired.

doh. another leaving

well.. can always hope to meet you up in another game, Destria. It's a pleasure to know you
    Spiral Lniya Dancer - Advy - equip - Dancer of the Black Spiral
    Tinky Numara Winky - Soldipex || Little Miip Tranqlet - Kepper
    Lanfear Lyvani Mosvani - NT || Vashti Ceneria Scales - Fixer
    Gogo Bollmongo Yubari - Doc || Luna Ayae - Enfipex - RAWR!
    Nid Noih - Trader|| Cookie Piika Cutter - Advy

And some more alts.

Proud Veteran of Punk, Aeon, Punk, Tranquility, Renaissance

Although I never knew you it's sad to see you go. I remember when you got to 200. I think it was a long time ago. I am 200 now but back then I was much lower. I asked you how it felt and other silly things You were very nice and gave me friendly answers. No one else at 200 ever did that. They always ignored or didn't give answer to the most innocent questions. (The 200 syndrom as I call it. Ego grows with level with some ) Hope to see you around the same game I'm playing again in the future. Best of luck.

/salute
    Marx "Omniangel" MacDannold Level 200 Doctor
    General of First Order

Omenangel Level 40++ Crat

Http://www.firstorder.net

Sorry to see you go Destria.

What will be the name of your 4th (to my knowledge at least) incarnation?

Bye bye Destria

*cries abit and then start to wait for a post from next friend that leave*
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

to many leaving
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Take care and I hope that whatever path you end up taking brings you as many experiences and friends as AO has.

~Nessy

Sorry to see you go, doctors are at a loss on this day.

Saveeee

/me salutes

Thank you for the time spent in game Destria. You were always good to team with

GL!
    Legion
    Beartwo

and a whole litter of bearcubs ...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
    "You see me now, a soldier, of a 1000 psychic wars...." -- Blue Oyster Cult

Sorry to see you go, Destria.

But I'll hopefully met you and the others again in AC2.

PS. I intend to be just as pesky there as here!

GL destria
    ==============
    200 Meta-Physicist.
    One mind, one purpose.

Sad to see you leave, Destria. I hope to see you again sometime.

Bye dest - You dinged 200 in a more uber way than anyone possibly could have

Banjo + Joo = Ding 200
    If you can't beat them, Hit them in the face with a wrench

Rubirango

Leaving when things are just starting to get good.

I for one would not play AC2 because that game is too damn shallow and I heard its gameplay is really lacking.

Good luck.
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

Goodbye, Destria. ;(

And good luck.
    MP's should be FEARED.

For the record, Destria is also one of the most level headed professionals in the group.

I loose my cool, she's usually there to make me shaddup. You ppl better look out now, nobody has the choaker on Arg!!! :P

I too spent many levels with Destria, they were fun, all of them.

Bye Des. I'm sure we will meet again.
    Argulace
    President
    Total Aggression Gaming
    Mercenaries of Kai (TAG)
    Chapter I. LAYING PLANS "All warfare is based on deception."

Cu in AC2, Destria

Regards,
    Itburnz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast