Thread: ChitChat magazine, edition 9

ChitChat magazine, edition 9

R.U.R. bot causes havoc!

Seems once again R.U.R. has been up to no good. A while ago they delivered several household bots (serial 4901-56#3) to the ICC headquarters. Seemingly the ICC hadn't heard of R.U.R. impeccable reputation yet, as they decided to unleash the robots in the ICC central data command to let them keep the entire room and all it's irreplacable (or at least nearly irreplacable) machinery clean from dust.

Upon speaking to an ICC maintenance worker he said "ICC thought it would be best to relocate all human, or humane cleaning crews out of the room, and replace it with high-quality R.U.R. cleaning bots, making sure no person can pull out a cord, press a power button, break a circuit board or do any other harm to the machinery". Unfortunately, they mixed up by adding the words high-quality to R.U.R.

The worker also said "when we heard reports of malfunctions, we went in to see what was happening, only to see several boards broken, 2 robots plugged out over 10 electric cords to find the best plug for them to reload, and 4 other robots were sword fighting each other using parts of hardware, meaning total chaos as once we tried to stop them they said 'en garde' and tried to fight us"

All in all, this fiasco cost R.U.R. once again a reputational dent, not that it can harm them much more already, ICC billions of credits in new hardware, and newcomers to the planet have to fill in some files, duplicate them in 3 fold, query them, send them back to themselves with airmail and then resend it to ICC, only then to await manual ID editing, thus registering their full name data.

Will R.U.R. ever make an useful bot? Will ICC press charges on R.U.R.? Should we sell R.U.R. shares before we actually make a loss? Read it all in ChitChat!
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

Dear Mister ChitChat editor,

I have read your magazine and I think you should consider the principle of Audi alteram partem. Clearly your assumptions are based on gossip and rumors.

The 4901-56#3 is a very reliable Robot. It can clean office windows, floors machineries and only has to reload once every seven weeks. It takes its job very seriously.
    Clearly shoving so many of these multi-purpose machines in one tiny room for an extended time creates agitation. I guess they were trying to figure out amongst themselves which robot would be responsible for what task. It is a natural behavior amongst people and I think we did a great job simulating it in our 4901-56#3.

Nothing in your article states that the hardware the Robots used came from computers in that room. It is very much possible that the Robots were exchanging spare parts in order to increase efficiency after they rearranged their tasks.

As for the so-called damage: disconnecting a plug doesn’t break a computer. I'm confident that ICC can handle name-requests just as fast as normal. My friend applied for a name change and only had to send a petition to an official. It was manually processed and no harm was done.

yours sincerely,

Eeod
    --Victor "Eeod" Linear. R.U.R. Engineer --
    Hath not a machine gears?
    Hath not a machine cogs, racks, pinions, cutters, bearings, spindles?
    Fed with the same electric, hurt with the same bits of grit getting in our works, subject to the same gremlins, healed by the same brute force, ignorance and big hammer as a human is?
    If you program us, do we not manufacture?
    If you take us apart, do we not shoot springs all over the floor?
    If you oil us, do we not purr?
    And if you ignore us.......... Do we not get ideas?

first off, i said the bots are RUR's, and they broke the ICC machinery

second, your friend had to send the request to an official to get it done manually, cause your bots broke the automatic handling machinery to start with
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.