Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE make the game more PvP oriented!

PLEASE make the game more PvP oriented!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough with this ql 300 boss. Enough with making hunting zones like the ace camp 75%. Patch by patch AO is becoming a carebear game and the fact that you have to build 'towers' in the booster makes pvp only more a side dish for AO.

What do we want?

-More pvp zones. A clan version of 2ho perhaps. Indoor ones too, the 25% bunker in 2ho is rather interesting, it would be fun to be in a omni-tek building shootout, or perhaps a 25% bar IN a town with lots of theme to it. Hope bar is a joke. Meetmedere is empty these days because of the 75%/25% line hugging thats similar to the tir arena ganking. Going there is not worth a minute. 2ho is currently the only place worthwhile to pvp, as camelot is far too laggy and pvp is not even players' intentions for going there. Removing Tarasque from AO period would be a good substitute to this everquest-ish style of playing. There should be political 'war' zones as well as 0% zones that are purely designed for multiplayer fun, for example maybe a static mission area with several floors and diverse rooms, 0% suppression, no map, the entrance would teleport you to a random location. I think the amount of seriousness in 'war' pvp could evenly be channeled in places like these.

-NO ARK INTERVENTION WHATSOEVER! Everytime the ARKs have tried doing a PvP event, it was ridiculous. The things they do in these so-called 'events' only prove FC needs to learn more about game balance. Player vs Player please, none of this ARK/GM stuff UNLESS you are willing to even out both sides with the desired amount of forces.

-PvP vehicles usable and makeable by only certain professions. soldier and engineers need improvements. Soldiers could man the vehicles, engineers could make them. Soldiers have green vehicle ground skill why not make use of this rather than the fact people under level 70 only need to raise this to 100 to use their kodiak car. Add weapons that will be exceptionally effective against vehciles, such as anti-'tank' weapons, surface-to-air missles for spying yalmahas or possibly even fighter planes. All throughout history, no book-noted war was fought simply on foot. I read that this is year 29,000 whatever yet 27,000 years ago, in an RP perspective 'the present' we are using F-16s, submarines, tanks, stinger rocket launchers, utility grenade assault rifles, compact assault rifles, nuclear weapons etc.

-Zoning would no longer be an issue if the trap/breakentry skills were applied to PvP. Re-implement the 'Plastic Explosive' item you would recieve from disarming traps, and allow people to set these things on objects in PvP zones. Allow the ability for players with high break and entry skill to lock doors to zone in. There needs to be more reward for investing IP into these skills. Allow land-mines to be placed, as this and PvP vehicles with special weapons would *drastically* decrease the amount of group rushing and lag in PvP and enforce the use of squad/player tactics.

-New weapons, both profession/breed specific and generic. 14.5 is a good start, but there still needs to be more.

-Breed balancing. Currently atrox soldiers cannot self-cast all their buffs at level 200. I find it RIDICULOUS that an opifex's dark blue skills will cap at 464 and green skills will be over 500 while a atrox will have 512 str/stam but 400 intellegence and only 300 more HP than a solitus. More thinking needs to be put into this.

-Spend more time listening to what is left of the PvP community and less on the carebears and EQ refugees. QL 300 bosses will not stop level 200s from leaving AO. A great guild that consisted of many level 200s disbanded recently because of lack of things to do. PvM enhancements is NOT the solution to this as PvP is the only half-'fun' thing to do at high levels, and it is not even fully implemented yet. The structure and roots of AO's game mechanics has potential and should be put to use.

-Pay more attention to the profession mechanics, rock-paper-scissors type gameplay. I read that 'not all professions are supposed to be good at pvp.' on the community forum. If this is so, then that means the professions that are considered 'gimped' and 'half-assed' are meant to be, by funcom themselves. Do not make so many drastic changes. Experiment more like the players are. This is NOT beta. A profession that is not capable in both PvP as well as PvM is a wasted one. Think through more what should be able to beat, what shouldnt be able to beat, and what should have a even chance of beating in PvP.

-Instead of sending invincible arks to fight off the clanners or omnis, have suppression changes rampant in the AO world. Having this would open even the lower level players up to PvP. Currently a player's first character's experience in PvP is after level 140 or so, outside of the arena where only testing/dueling/ganking is done, nothing serious related to pvp. Forget about these silly events where people are making speeches, or protesting around a cone building.

Funcom keeps breaking promises. A common misconception these days is that MMORPGs the main goal is to 'get the best items and become uber.' This is such a stupid goal, and obviously was not the roots of this game, however it is growing into it. AO's unique feature is that it is a sci-fi MMORPG, perhaps they can accomplish the goal of not only being the first sci-fi MMORPG but a PvP oriented one as well.
    "A man is someone who has a cause he's willing to fight for and has a woman in his life he'll do anything to protect."
    -SDI Ssgt. Port, USMC, MCRD Parris Island S.C.

Experienced Stars "Stromm" Nstripes - Retired

Fun stuff: 1 2 3 4 (NEW!!)

yep yep

absolutely. can i get a h*ll ya. you admin's had better read this, cause we be kickin down the truth about yo game.

in the long run, pvp is something a company can count on to keep players interested.

PvP is not that hard to implement effectively, EQ did it (i'm a former Tallon Zekker) UO did it, DAoC sorta did it. Then you have games on the horizon, like Neocron, and SWG.

forget about pvp zones, that's weak. what you need is the possibility for pvp everywhere you go, but only IF YOU WANT IT.
    it's your right to play as a Bluebie Carebear if you want to, tho why you would want to is beyond me.

what needs to happen is many things, most taken directly from other games, but you have to take the best from what came before, and build upon what works.

1. class balance. (this in itself is a whole 'nother topic.)

2. level ranges imposed by the pvp system. (unless you're really a sado-masochist, no one needs lvl 200 ppl whacking lvl 10's. this would also apply to beneficial nanos, which i think is needed for game balance anyway, and definately in PvP.)

3. revamp the resist skill, add more resist items (this kinda falls under #1, but resists must be coded in so as to be more useful and logically realistic.)

4. CHOICE. (it's tuff to mix pvp and blue players on the same server, but you gotta give the people a choice. EQ did it with separate servers, but they have a much larger player base. i suggest some sort of "suppression-gas mask" that cannot be activated or deactivated for a certain amount of time after PvP combat. this is simmilar to what they are doing in Neocron with the "law" implants. That is, of course, if FC sticks with the current system of supression gas, which is a stretch of the imagination to begin with.)

No one has done a "perfect" PvP system as of yet. There has always been a way for people to abuse the system and become Greifers. there have always been exploits, and over-powered skills, spells, items, and classes. the above ideas (including Stromm's) are some of the things that make PvP work in mmorpg's. If Funcom was smart, and i know they are, they would be striving to perfect PvP in a game that ALMOST kicks a** to begin with. (and before SWG beats 'em to it.)

Ongsoh
    Black Hide Samurai
    RK2

Pvp should be roleplaying based and fit the storyline. It should be clan vs omni with no clan/omni grouping. And I really think they should add faction to this game to have consequences for certain actions.
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

oh ya...

right.

let's not forget cross-teaming. this is where it can get tricky.

*bad flashback to tallon zek*

the story line of AO could be strong enough to discourage blatant crossteaming and encourage worthwhile PvP. I agree, the pvp ruleset should be based on the backstory. this would actually make the implementation easier, i would guess.

being a secret-agent of the other side could actually mean something. faction missions could be worked into this somehow...
    how do the Neutrals factor in?

...as always, there is great potential.

Angry Short and sweet ...

NO!
    More PvP areas yes..
    Class balancing NO!!
    Removing items that help RP to give a faster enviroment NO!!
    Promoo - Agent, Clan on Rimor
    Still alive but now dressed in spandex and called Big Gun in CoH
    Keeper Of Tiggy

Happy Tree Friends - The best animation on the web

/prostrate

Oh...wait...was I supposed to say BUMP?
    .: Naraya :.

BUMP!!

FFS im afk in Omni-1 right now.. and no omni can do sheet about it!!!! that sux.. this is a game about war and ther im sitting in my yalm looking att all the omnis. they shoud be able to fugging kill me. its the same whit omnis in tir.

i see omnis selling stuff next to tir grid!.
    WTF is wrong. i dont want to shop form a omni in tir. i want to kill his stupid arse for going to a clan controld town!
    w00p w00p!!

Tolbat,
    LOL love the guild name ....

I take it you are a leader of a guild that is always having to recruit new members.
    Promoo - Agent, Clan on Rimor
    Still alive but now dressed in spandex and called Big Gun in CoH
    Keeper Of Tiggy

Happy Tree Friends - The best animation on the web

Agreed... for starters make more zones 25% so that it would actually be an conflict.
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

Re: yep yep

Originally posted by Black Ong

forget about pvp zones, that's weak. what you need is the possibility for pvp everywhere you go, but only IF YOU WANT IT.
    it's your right to play as a Bluebie Carebear if you want to
    I'll bump that one. Choice is goooood. Let the PvPers fight everywhere they want to.

More 25% zones, ummm no. Why waste more space?

One thing, though. You'll never, ever balance a PvP game. Carebears whine, but PvPers cry like babies, and constantly.

More PvP = more nerfs. Guaranteed. Look at DAOC. I quit that game because I got tired of the nerfstick. Of the whiney "OMG, I can't believe an XXX beat me".

EDIT:

Not 20 seconds after I wrote this, I saw a typical example of PvP whine posts:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=51380
    Last edited by Rogoff; Sep 13th, 2002 at 14:39:47.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

Arf Ar Ar.. Ehm.. Yes. Bump
    Apprentice Frakk // MA - Rk1 - Stuff - Quote
    Sunye // Doc - Rk1 - Quote
    Rookie Frakk2000 // MA - Rk2
    Freshman Frakked // Soldier - Rk2
    Apprentice Frakk2001 // Doc - Rk2

Frakk2000's guide to twinking -> link <-
    Adventures of Frakkman
    BondeLAN.org
    Overpowered since 15.0 - MA forever!

Re: Re: yep yep

Originally posted by Rogoff

I'll bump that one. Choice is goooood. Let the PvPers fight everywhere they want to.

More 25% zones, ummm no. Why waste more space?

One thing, though. You'll never, ever balance a PvP game. Carebears whine, but PvPers cry like babies, and constantly.

More PvP = more nerfs. Guaranteed. Look at DAOC. I quit that game because I got tired of the nerfstick. Of the whiney "OMG, I can't believe an XXX beat me".

EDIT:

Not 20 seconds after I wrote this, I saw a typical example of PvP whine posts:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=51380

I totally agree with you, which is why I had the other thread which tried to post one possible solution for an item that allowed someone to choose not to PvP.... I got heavily flamed, which is sad... The PvPers would rather get an easy kill than have to work for a kill.. an easy kill= a doc doc which is built to heal, not to do damage (I have one)... any char that is set up for tradeskills and not to be the god of PvP is like this... On the flipside I have a PvP apprentice soldier.. although I admit I haven't PvPed much since the damage nerf.

I love the idea of PvP everywhere, as long as you can choose to not do it! There seems to be three types of people right now:
    1) Wants to PvPer everywhere
    2) Wants the current System
    3) Wants nothing to do with PvP
    Some people even have several characters that they'd like to fall in diferent options above...

The best thing that could be done is to allow the options!! Let everyone choose their level of involvement. People are happier when THEY get to choose how they want to be involved in the storyline...

The #1 flame is that if you don't want to PvP, don't go in PvP areas... but what if you want to PvP? should you only be allowed to do it if someone asks you for a duel or you are in the growing incredibly boring 2h0....

The #2 flame is that missions in PvP areas provide greater rewards... I don't think this is going to be true after 14.5 since many zones are going 75% from what I hear.

Personally I think it a noob who has only been playing the game for a week would be awestruck, if say 10 people came through the whompa and suddenly there was a large scale PvP war in the center of Omni-1 Entertainment... It would actually make it worthwhile to have an attack on the other side as well, if you could kill more than just guards.

Personally I think it could significantly enhance the fun for the PvPers to be able to fight anywhere and everywhere.

In addition it would enhance the experience for the roleplayers. To be caught in the middle of the war (even if they don't want to fight)
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

Seeing as two-thirds of the playerbase polls as being wholly uninterested in PvP, and most of the rest poll as fighting PvM solely until they're high enough level to 'ownzor!' the others... FC would be slitting its own throat to make more 25% zones and/or broaden the PvP content at the expense of PvM play. They'd lose far more customers than they'd gain by 'balancing' the game for PvP.

Under ten percent of the posters who answered poll as playing solely or primarily for PvP, and PvPers are very likely a more active sector of the population on the boards than 'carebears.' In any online game where you advance your character and gain equipment through PvM, PvPers will be a minority weighted towards the top end of the advancement scale.

It's impossible to make PvP relatively fair and fun for everyone in AO. A level-based system where you can only gain significant exp and gear through the PvM grind ensures that. Changing the game so that PvP can interfere with PvM will simply stack the odds further in the favor of people who are already at or near the top of the level ladder.

It sounds like the people who want PvP anywhere at any time in a 'balanced' way would love Neocron. Myself, I haven't logged in the beta again after I got ganked by two very well-armed and higher-level characters at a zone line with my brand-new character while I was "synchronizing" with the server (ie, I had zone loading lag). Forgive me if that's not my idea of a good time, and don't tell me it wouldn't happen here on AO because we all know it already does. Given the chance, aka, given highly unrestricted nonconsensual PvP, the bad will drive out the good from any online gaming environment.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Originally posted by Jynne
    Seeing as two-thirds of the playerbase polls as being wholly uninterested in PvP, and most of the rest poll as fighting PvM solely until they're high enough level to 'ownzor!' the others... FC would be slitting its own throat to make more 25% zones and/or broaden the PvP content at the expense of PvM play. They'd lose far more customers than they'd gain by 'balancing' the game for PvP.

Under ten percent of the posters who answered poll as playing solely or primarily for PvP, and PvPers are very likely a more active sector of the population on the boards than 'carebears.' In any online game where you advance your character and gain equipment through PvM, PvPers will be a minority weighted towards the top end of the advancement scale.

It's impossible to make PvP relatively fair and fun for everyone in AO. A level-based system where you can only gain significant exp and gear through the PvM grind ensures that. Changing the game so that PvP can interfere with PvM will simply stack the odds further in the favor of people who are already at or near the top of the level ladder.

It sounds like the people who want PvP anywhere at any time in a 'balanced' way would love Neocron. Myself, I haven't logged in the beta again after I got ganked by two very well-armed and higher-level characters at a zone line with my brand-new character while I was "synchronizing" with the server (ie, I had zone loading lag). Forgive me if that's not my idea of a good time, and don't tell me it wouldn't happen here on AO because we all know it already does. Given the chance, aka, given highly unrestricted nonconsensual PvP, the bad will drive out the good from any online gaming environment.

So true!

which is why I think allowing options allows for everyplay style to ahve room in the game..

You want those 10% who hardcore PvP to keep their accounts and monthly fees too... Yet at the same time you don't want to force people to PvP or you lose the other 90% of players!
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

seems unrealistic that you should be able to 'not be in this war'. Make more 25% zones but dont force anyone to go there...
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

Well

I believe for those who don't wanna pvp . They should be neutrals. Make them untouchable by another player untill they join a side or enter an arena. However , If they team with an omni or clan member they can be attacked as long as they are in team.

Noted.

One exclamation mark in the topic is enough though.

Originally posted by Cz
    One exclamation mark in the topic is enough though.
    Guess he really really really really really REALLY wanted this game to be more pvp oriented.

I say... make 1 more implant slot... put in it some sort of chip...

It is in when u start as lvl 1...
    U can PvP in the PvP Zones there is now... no need to make more, would be just like the system is now...
    No forced PvP on eny 1, nothing...

If u take it out.. u are open to PVP... EVERY WHERE!!!
    10 Big mofo's could come into the store and spank u while u where equiping your new implants...

The current 1 ~ 74 then free system would not be in effect when u take out the Chip... it would be OPEN! No where to run, no where to hide!!!

Should u be abel to put it in agen after takeing it out?!
    Yes, i think so, but it should be hard, say u would have to go in a special shop. could be 1 of those for each side, and use some sort of vender that would put in a new. After that it would be some time befor u can take it out agen. (12 RL hours, not online time?)

This would not force more PvP on eny 1, and it would give those who want to the choise to realy be in a War!

This i feel would be a good way of doing it... and i would remove it!
    OT Soldier: Sarv
    My little CH ho: Zitrix

This voulenteer pvp thingy item would be way to easily exploited... the fun in camelot is the pvp combat, if both sides used these chips it'd just be about outdamaging the others against the Tarasque.

And during an guild event one side could send in people with chips to scout the enemy locations...

I dont want to see one of those chips, items, options or whatever... war is war, if you dont want to fight, dont go into an war zone. And in return, funcom shouldnt add anything in an pvp zone that you HAVE to go to... like it is now, you dont need to go to an 25% zone...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast