Thread: Can only guild members use towers?

Can only guild members use towers?

OK, I bit. I signed up for the booster pack...what the heck.
    But the email I received today makes me think I misunderstood the implementation.

• Will I, as a non-guilded neutral player, be able to buy/create/build/boost towers?
    • How will these be advantageous to me, a non-guilded neutral player?
    • I do not plan to become gelded (oops, meant guilded) or sided.
    • Am I getting the booster pack only for visual and auditory enhancements?
    ...guess I should turn the sound on once in a while...
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

Talking

Hehe, it's not too often you see someone flame themselves.
    Ionicdude - In it to win it no matter how you spin it

There has been talking about towers for solo players too. Set up a tower, pull a mob to it and have it shoot the living daylights out of this mob, things like that. Haven't seen much more details about this, I don't think they even know at Funcom yet

Originally posted by RVWinkle
    Hehe, it's not too often you see someone flame themselves.
    Probably an attempt at pulling in a moderator.

Anyhow, as reality posts, you will be able to use towers as a stationary pets, kind'a. We'll release more details about that as we move closer to release, and know exactly how everything will work.

{Edited: Typo }

Arrow

I'm sure Cz meant pets, only cows make stationary pats...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Originally posted by Darkbane
    I'm sure Cz meant pets, only cows make stationary pats...
    LOL

i definatly think there should be stationary pats. Lord know that there isnt enuff fun stuff to step in in the game.

A pat is no fun at all if it is stationary
    RoboKa & RoboKaKa
    Solitus Neutral Engineer & Pet

Originally posted by Cz

you will be able to use towers as a stationary pets,
    Ohh you mean everyones getting slayerdroids now?

(refering to poor pathing as it is for those who think i might actually think they will give everyone slayerdroids)

Arrow

I hope Engineers get to make better fixed towers than other classes, maybe with a built in reflect shield... give Engies something at least...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Well... sounds like tradeskills will be involved in building towers... so engies probably will have more ability there than most.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Originally posted by Kiryat-Dharin
    Well... sounds like tradeskills will be involved in building towers... so engies probably will have more ability there than most.
    ..and the reason my face isnt blue is because I'm not holding my breath.

I fully expect Engineers to get shafted in this equasion. Besides even if we are 'better' its still a shaft since player have to pay for this 'bonus'
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Originally posted by Warlock

..and the reason my face isnt blue is because I'm not holding my breath.

I fully expect Engineers to get shafted in this equasion. Besides even if we are 'better' its still a shaft since player have to pay for this 'bonus'
    Get over it. It's an expansion of game-play. They aren't shafting you by charging for it.

I hope, genuinely hope, that engies tradeskills are made very useful in the process of creating these towers. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm also not being sarcastic.

Ok perhaps I need to spell it out for you....

If Engineers are 'better' with towers than other profs its a shaft of non-booster Engineers (read: pay to be sort-of-fixed) as the class is still very gimped in the core game

If Engineers arent 'better' with towers than other profs we are shafted as all other profs can now get a pet (read personal tower - a version of something that the Engineers have been asking for, for a long time) and Engineers remain without any class defining abilities or any in game 'need' for the Engineer profession at all (for more details on these very sore points I suggest you visit the Engineers forum as theres no point bringing them up here)
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Originally posted by Warlock
    Ok perhaps I need to spell it out for you....

If Engineers are 'better' with towers than other profs its a shaft of non-booster Engineers (read: pay to be sort-of-fixed) as the class is still very gimped in the core game

If Engineers arent 'better' with towers than other profs we are shafted as all other profs can now get a pet (read personal tower - a version of something that the Engineers have been asking for, for a long time) and Engineers remain without any class defining abilities or any in game 'need' for the Engineer profession at all (for more details on these very sore points I suggest you visit the Engineers forum as theres no point bringing them up here)
    It's not a shaft.

If engies are better at building towers, they're better at building towers. It ain't a class fix. You guys need better than that to fix you. The ability to better utilize an element of the booster pack isn't a class fix, it's a simple result of game mechanics.

And yes, I know engies are bitter. I feel bad for ya. But whining that you're getting shafted when you look to be getting a bonus is just that; whining. You *are* getting a bonus if you buy the booster. And if you don't buy the booster, it's not like you're any worse off than you were.

When FC fixes pet pathing, ups slayer damage a bit maybe, dunno, engies have lots of suggestions. Those aren't going to be part of a booster pack. An increased ability with something YOU CAN'T USE without the booster pack isn't a class fix, it's a bonus.

I say again, get over it.

RIGHT...

so add pets for every profession.. that makes sense (i know its not REALLY a pet) so now what do the pet professions have? 2 pets? woopdee

Lightbulb Pets galore!

Nope 4 pets! (MP)

Actually that got me thinking? How will this new personal tower affect our other pets? More importantly, for me anyway, if you can control your personal tower does that mean you get to control the towers of your Guild? What if your a Guild Leader? How do you seperate your control of them? Do you really control them like pets? If you call them pets that assumes you can command them to attack, cease fire, etc. Or are they more like a device you set down somewhere that shoots anything that comes within range? Hmmm...
    ArchPriest Katelin 'Lunayu' Saar - Former President of the Guild of Meta-Physics
    Former Council Member of the Council of Truth

House Demonslap
    A little Anger never hurt Nobody...

"It's called an Anger Manifestation not a Love Manifestation!"
    "And how does that make you feel?"

hit

*Sets out to find a Droid Control Device with an evil grin*
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

I'm really interested in seeing how they'll manage/maintain balance. I can see that you'd need to buy multiple boosters if you have multiple accounts, but whats to prevent a single account user with a handful of alts, from throwing all those alts into the same guild and adding to the tower stack?

The flipside though, I'd like to be able use a tower for one of my guild chars, but I might have another char who I don't want to have in a guild, but might benefit from a stationary pet...

Question Ponderings...

I'd thought about that too.

Even if someone did throw in alts to buff up their numbers, they could still only play one at a time to help defend the notum mine. I guess it really boils down to how important those stat accumulations will be to the effect of the defending towers.

Will it really make a difference to throw in a few alts?
    ArchPriest Katelin 'Lunayu' Saar - Former President of the Guild of Meta-Physics
    Former Council Member of the Council of Truth

House Demonslap
    A little Anger never hurt Nobody...

"It's called an Anger Manifestation not a Love Manifestation!"
    "And how does that make you feel?"

hit