Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Expoilts that should be dealt with ASAP

Arrow

Twinking is incredibly pathetic, but it's certainly not an exploit.
    Try saying that in your guildchat. Especially the first part.
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

Re: Expoilts that should be dealt with ASAP

Originally posted by .....
    After spending the better part of half an hour reading the rants, whines, and complaints about the PLing exploit, I just wanted to bring to attention a few other "innocent" exploits that should be dealt with in the same manner as the Pling in all fairness..

Transfers

Giving your alt twink 3 million cash to start with is an unfair advantage over other players at same level, same goes with armor, nano, weapon transfers... Your characters shouldn't be able to afford or mission for full sets of armor at same ql, all your nanos, or implants, and not have outgrown them by the time you finally collect all pieces (pre lvl 20 of course). Is it possible for a n00b to get a Yalmaha at lvl29 without outside help? NO That in itself is an extreme advantage imo...funcom's crappy mission terminals ALWAYS gives you missions to places you cannot possibly get to alive (eg lvl 45 NT rolling a mission in Avalon desert for a dumba$$ nano he cannot afford) but if you buy your alt a Yalm you don't have to worry about those things, but then, you also don't have to take the mission in Avalon to get the nano either, the same nano you use to kill a n00b trying to PvP... And most wonder why n00bs cry when getting owned in PvP...you should be ashamed of yourself >:/ heh
    Anyways, you get my point

Buffs

Is it not unfair and disrupting the way the game was intended to play by buffing a lvl 16 trader with behemoth?? I always begged high lvl enforcers for behemoth so i could do 100% missions, own a few Omni, etc... But i am an experienced player, my goal is to get my trader to higher lvls so i can enjoy the gameplay, (sorry funcom, this game sucks worse than getting butt-raped by cops using a broomstick at low lvls, cash and equipment being the main reasons) but for a n00b it isn't good, he will gimp his char and whine and be frustrated cuz he can't afford armor or implants later on... then find some silly "exploit" someone is using and whine on the boards crying FOUL (you know who you are) Quick question, why are the fixer team NCU buffs lvl reqed? hmmm? Maybe, just maybe, ALL profession buffs should be lvl reqed...it would make it fair after all...

Before anyone flames, I personally do not believe these are exploits, but they should and do fall under the same category as the so called powerleveling "exploit"
    I personally believe that the PLing "exploit" is rediculous and should be dropped, Funcom has more important issues to deal with than this... And they know it (one can dream, right?)
    Stop worrying about the whiners and haters that have no real life (ie Ayabe) and fix the real problems with your game, cuz frankly, the more I play, the more I realize that the game sucks :/
    The idea is fascinating, it's what keeps my account open

Free advice from a nobody...

Stop screwing with these so called "exploits", stop screwing with the professions, breeds, nanos, dynamics, mechanics, etc and fix your game engine, fix the memory leak, fix the lag issues that cause players to lose all of thier XP cuz ur crappy servers cannot handle the load (www.ibm.com) switch from UDP connections to TCP, fix the client so it doesn't crash with WinXP Service Pack 1 cuz ur nuts if u think Microsucks will spend the money for you...

I really like this game, believe it or not, I think it would be the best MMORPG for a long time if you fix these problems first instead of screwing things up for everyone who PAYS you to be frustrated and stressed... If you don't, you will prolly be forgotten in a year or so, cuz when SWG comes out, you are going to take a helluva hit, and you know it... hell, it may even break you
    Please understand that I am a loyal customer and enjoy your game on most occassions, but you are walking a mighty fine line Funcom. Do the right thing, especially for your customers, we feed you, put your kids through school, and pay for your hookers

please send all flames, rants, raves to

tanyalind@microsofthq.net
    specificly "Stop screwing with these so called "exploits", stop screwing with the professions, breeds, nanos, dynamics, mechanics, etc and fix your game engine, fix the memory leak, fix the lag issues that cause players to lose all of thier XP cuz ur crappy servers cannot handle the load "

ummm get a real machine and you will have no problems.

Re: A quick lesson on TCP/UDP

Originally posted by deatheyes
    Hey, I'm not sure why you're rantin about what protocol they use. Why do you prefer they use TCP? TCP = guaranteed delivery, and even with sliding window protocols and other fun stuff that still means more ACK's on the wire. I assume you want them to use it to reduce lag. Well, decreasing available bandwidth should do the opposite (congestion increases latency).

UDP is a broadcast protocol. Just dump all your data, I dont care if it gets there or not. With good client side prediction making up for lost and out of order messages, (eg any of ID software's games) UDP is much less latent and therefore preferred.

And if I remember correctly I had to punch holes in the 7500-7510 TCP (!) range in the firewall at work to play AO there.

Have you any idea what the acedemic exercise worlds like this are to create?
    really know little about this subject, but if UDP is what u claim, dump and go, and what not. then this would be why we NTs have blackhole problems, just as sometimes gunshot messages are not appearing. compared to DAoC (every single thing shows up).

during higher lag pockets, message order looks like it goes thru a blender. dmg coming 30 seconds after dying or not showing up at all. cast delays, cast timing with text and the orange speed bar and the grey'd out nuke button in the shortcut bar.... saves at the insurance terminal not showing up, or sometimes showing up but not registering thus causing confusion to dying and losing millions of xp when u have proof of save entry but not saved.

switch to TCP. PLEASE. or whatever that shows everything, even if it may increase a slight wait to info showing up, but at least it'll show up and in the right order. no class should be singled out as rendered 60-70% effective due to a problem in the system when none of the other classes are as dependent on this as we are.
    Blue Steel(TM)

E 86% - S 60% - A 33% - K 20%
    http://www.andreasen.org/bartle/

SL upgraded oct 10, 2003

RK2 - Derek"Rayfield" Zoolander
    RK2 - "Umeshiso" Maki
    RK2 - Sylvester "Code187" Vallone

TCP sliding windows are a great invention and work wonders, hence why the Internet is with us. One of the main causes of lag using TCP is the client not being configured correctly. This is of no fault of the user. Microsoft default to a 56K modem setting when they ship their OS's, so cable/DLS/ADSL users don't get as much benefit as they could.

Kenlon: You are a moron. If you speak to people like you spoke to me, it proves this, and pisses other people off.

Get
    off
    your
    soapbox

Bah why do I bother. Constructive criticism falls on deaf ears.

lilao: thanks for being there and agreeing
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Originally posted by Mercatura

Try saying that in your guildchat. Especially the first part.
    Been there, done that.

Had people questioning my sanity, true, but I said it.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

ASUS A7V333 DDR mother board
    Athlon XP 2100
    1 Gig DDR RAM
    GF4 4600ti
    ADSL

Not too shabby, I thought I met at least the minimum reqs to play the game?

TCP - Two thumbs up!

This game still uses TCP and has never stopped. TCP rocks for one simple reason: it works seamlessly with most firewalls which allow incoming packets only on an open connection. UDP is "connectionless", so your cable modem router with its built-in firewall will not know where to send packets sent to a specific UDP port so you have to set the cable modem router to forward them to one specific computer meaning that you can only play the game on one comp at a time in your home network unless you manually change the UDP port configuration in the game (at which point many if not most people get lost because they are not techno-heads) and have your firewall forward that other port to the second computer. Asheron's Call is an example of this. It uses UDP and you have to manually configure both your software and your firewall to play it on more than one computer at a time. With Anarchy Online you just start the game on as many computers as you want on your network and the TCP protocol handles all the network address translation and packet routing. I'm not sure what EverQuest uses.

I don't think TCP was ever the problem with this game which can serve just as many people in one "zone" as any other MMORPG that I've played.

Missing damage messages is not usually due to packets being lost, it is due to the way the client tries to synchronize the messages with the graphics. The client will not give you a damage message from a monster that it has received from the server unless it can show the monster doing the damage animation (punch, shot, etc) at the same time. This means that if the monster is in the process of doing another animation like spellcasting or running you WON'T get the damage message on your client until that animation finishes and he can do the attack animation. If the monster is running into a wall or stuck in a door then that running animation will last several seconds before he teleports through the wall at which time he will be able to do the attack animation and you'll get a scroll of all those hits that you didn't get to see while he was running. If you happen to run out of hit points before he stops his running animation, you'll never see the damage at all before you die. If you examine the packets you can see that all those damage messages did arrive at your computer on time though.

Nianna: valid, with one exception. UDP is connectionless, but you can allow a firewall to let in packets on a particular port. There is no requirement to forward them to a particular machine. My firewall allows this.

(Not aimed at Nianna): Currently AO only requires TCP ports 80, 7012, 7500-7504 to be open. UDP is not being used.
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Originally posted by Ntrox
    Nianna: valid, with one exception. UDP is connectionless, but you can allow a firewall to let in packets on a particular port. There is no requirement to forward them to a particular machine. My firewall allows this.

(Not aimed at Nianna): Currently AO only requires TCP ports 80, 7012, 7500-7504 to be open. UDP is not being used.
    I'm not really talking about a firewall exactly, I'm talking about the "smart" cable/dsl routers that share an internet connection. The router ends up working like a hardware firewall because no incoming packet can reach your computers unless a connection request has been made by a local computer specifying the incoming port, which the router takes note of so it can forward packets automatically to the right computer after the connection.

Without a connection request (ie. any time you use UDP), the smart router doesn't know which ports to forward to which computer unless you specify manually in its configuration, but that means that the port must go to a single computer only (since the automatic port sharing is disabled for that port) which stops you from using that particular game or application on more than one computer on the network simultaneously unless you can specify different ports in the software configuration. In this case you'd have to specify different ports in the software for each computer you want to use and you would have to tell the router to manually forward each of them to the right computer.

A firewall hardware or software device in the classical sense blocks both incoming and outgoing packets all the time and by choice, not by necessity as does the smart internet sharing router which blocks incoming packets (that are not preceeded by a connection request) only because it has no way to figure out where to send them. If you had a classical firewall that is not "smart" it would have to either open or close a port for packets (usually you can specify incoming and/or outgoing) and it would be open or closed all the time. You would have to manually configure your firewall to open some ports whether the game uses TCP or UDP. However, with a "smart" firewall or router that automatically enables incoming packets once you have made a connection (which TCP does, but UDP does not), there is no network technical knowledge or configuration needed by the end user.

In these sorts of games, the port requirements aren't always spelled out in the manual. In fact I dont know if I've ever seen one that it did give the port usage in the manual. That means you have to go to forums like this one or to a technical support web site and ask till you can find out which ports to open if your router/firewall is not "smart" or if the game uses UDP. Some people never do manage to figure it out and they buy a different game instead. That's one place where this game and TCP shines: its plug and play with the modern smart routers.

Using TCP instead of UDP incidentally also can enable you to run more than one copy of a game on the same computer at the same time (since they wont be fighting over the same incoming port because each TCP connection specifies its own unique incoming port) without having two copies of the game installed each with its own port configuration. That can be convenient in this game for trading equipment between multiple accounts if you have a computer with enough memory.
    Last edited by Nianna; Sep 23rd, 2002 at 21:26:07.

Re: Expoilts that should be dealt with ASAP

Originally posted by Another MP
    But i am an experienced player, my goal is to get my trader to higher lvls so i can enjoy the gameplay, (sorry funcom, this game sucks worse than getting butt-raped by cops using a broomstick at low lvls, cash and equipment being the main reasons)

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAH AHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHA

You have to be kidding!!!

ROFLMAO, are you crazy? Boring at low lvls and enjoyable at higher lvls?????

LOLOLOOLLOOLLOOL
    President of Ali Baba and the 40 thieves

Garzu 193 Day 1 NT & Garzuperman My Fixer 4 fun since NTs are broken

GA3/4 DESPERATELY NEEDED!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123