Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pathfinders saga

Pathfinders saga

((I've had a few ppl contact me ingame and suggest I put my storyline into a separate thread...so, due to popular demand...))
    Last edited by Gunfytr; Sep 16th, 2007 at 06:59:54.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

The Chief Warrant Officer gathered his team up with a glance and nodded towards the teleport station. "Good job, boys. Reets tonight! First round is on me." He grins at the answering cheers. Inwardly he sighs, this herd of Clammers had been better than most ....sending fully 40% of his team to reclaim. But the Battle Stations MUST be kept under OMNI control. Even though Clan incursions were becoming more rare, it remains a precarious situation. The orbiting Stations under Clan rule would be....uncomfortable to say the least.

He threw his OFAB Hawk mk5 to the team armorer. "Genmo, turn this piece of rollerrat crap back in to stores and make sure my JOBE is tuned up" "Gotcha, boss" The CWO shakes his head, the Hawk, the new "wondergun", almost earned him a painful trip to reclaim. Bugs, glitches and a REALLY sticky selecter switch.....barely got that burst off in time to make the last kill.

His team beginning to file into the teleport room, he looks around the station. Ours for a little while longer. He smiles quietly to himself. No matter what ICCs agenda is, putting these in orbit was a true blessing to a stuggling corp like OT. Now, if we can just get those ICC goons to lower the retrictions on targeting options.........
    Because we said so.

<sounds of gunfire and panicked voices>

"MONGO! MONGO DAMMIT!"
    "crapcrapcrap......BLUE!"
    "Long, u stupid 'trox, get his attention!"
    "I SMASH U, U DUMMmmmm..........arrrg"
    "OMG, TANKS DOWN!"

Well, this isnt going as planned. The Chief Warrant desparately pumps round after round into the Dust Brigade Commander. Sure, it SOUNDED good. A chance to hit the long-hidden Dust Brigade. Intel reported that a DB leader was going to be at this location with only a minimal bodyguard. "Great", hes thinks to himself, "thats because he doesn't NEED a bodyguard!"

"No nano here!"
    "Boss, I got a bad feeling 'bout this"
    "Shut up and keep hitting him!"
    "Im a crawler! Why am I a crawler??"
    "Im gonna kite him! Im gonna kite......."

This is looking really bad. Even his new assault rifle isnt making a dent in this guy. Lured into a trap, just like a freakin noob. These new nanos this guy is putting out.....unreal. Turns u into a crawler? WTF is up with THAT? Leaches ur nano, makes ur hits HEAL him.....how can u beat that?

"Get him off me!! Get him off me!!"
    "Docs down!"
    "OK, enough of this crap. Potty, evac!"
    "Im tryin! He keeps interrupting me!..........ACK!"

He watches, helplessly, as his team is slaughtered around him. Alone, he stops firing and watches as the DB commander stalks towards him. He lets his rifle hang on his chest, and slowly removes his helmet. Staring his opponant in the eye, he says quietly, "You win this round, but we'll be back. Count on it." A low, evil chuckle is his only reply. Oh, this is gonna leave a mark... He braces.

<WHITE LIGHT>
    Because we said so.

The Chief Warrant Officer watches as the team gets up and walks out of the briefing room. They look forlorn as they steal furtive glances at him. "Dont sweat it guys, its not over yet". Gods, this team wont be worth a damn for weeks. Its been a long time since one of HIS teams took a beating like that. He'll have to put them on Tower duty for awhile. Chasing trepassing Clanners will cheer them up.
    "What happened, Chief?"
    He looks back at the Omni Intern-Ops Major. "You read the report, Major", he replies stiffly.
    The Major waves at a chair, "Sit, sit....at ease. Is this guy really that tuff?"
    The CWO sighs, they always want more, always think you're holding somthing back. "Yes, Sir, hes that tuff." He stares at the Major a moment. "Sir, permission to speak freely?" "Of course", the Major replies, eyes narrowing. The CWO thinks for a moment, then takes a breath, "Sir, I didnt sign my teams on for this crap".
    "What do you mean?", the Major laughs, leaning back, "I would think that Live-fire Combat with NO permanent casualties would be a mercenaries, oh, excuse me, 'contractors' dream?"
    The CWO shivers, thinking of a blinding white light, and indescrible pain, before finding himself at reclaim. "Sir, we have done everything that OT has asked of us...everytime." He pauses, shaking his head. "I brought 3 full Search and Rescue Teams to Rubi-Ka, because THATS what the contract called for. Granted, we are Firepower heavy, but Combat isnt what has kept this group together all these years." He fixes a baleful eye on the major. "Handling insurgents and backing up the regular OT troops is fine, but my people aren't trained for assasination Ops, bonus or not."
    Again, the Major just laughs, "Your contract clearly states, Chief, '...And any other duties that may be required by the second party, for the good of the second party.' We have covered this before. Your teams still have 2 years to the end of contract." He stands up, "You WILL do as you are told, Chief. Or do you really want the Director to "re-evaluate" your worth to the company?"
    "No Sir, that wont be neccessary, Sir" Muscles bunch on the sides of his jaw as the Chief grinds his teeth. What have I gotten us into this time?
    "Good, good....I have another mission for you. The file will be at your quarters tomorrow morning."
    "Sir, we will be down an operational team for at least a week."
    The Major stops irritably, "Whatever, I just want results."
    The CWO watches him walk out of the room, then drops his chin down to his chest. Black clouded emotions run through him.....this might be even worse than that ICC "Peacekeeping" Mission on Alpha-Centari IV.
    He whispers bitterly to himself, "Omni-Tek Protects......"
    Because we said so.

"OK, gather round." All three teams crowded into the rec area, lounging on couches, the floor, and whatever was available. " Check the rosters, I swapped us up for assignments. Team leaders, Ive downloaded info to your terms, brief your teams later. This is just a quickie." He grins at the smirks as they get the joke. He hears whispers as team members try to explain it to the 2 'trox present. Good luck with that. Adding the 'trox to the Unit was questioned at first by some of the senior unit members, but they have worked out well. Brawn over brains really DOES pay off sometimes.
    "Alright, knock it off." Another quick glance around. Everyones here. "Team C is gonna spend the next week out in Perp Wastes....Riders have requested a team there for tower defense. They are gonna be tied up with stuff for a bit." "What kinda 'stuff", Chief?" "No idea, we don't need to know, Erik. Is it ok if I continue the brief?" "Sorry, Boss."
    "Im taking a heavy DD team to the Inner Sanctum" *shouts of protest* "I know, I know...but Management wants a few items there. Hold it down. We all know those religious nuts are worse than Jesuits, but thats what we get paid for."
    "Team B is gonna freelance a bit, down here on RK. I want u guys handy in case we need you in IS, or if the Clans get a zerg together in PW."
    Glancing casually at the 2 'trox, he says, "Bundy, Long...I need u guys to go check the perimeter." He watches as the 2 lumber out of the barracks. "Potty, we swept?" "Yup, right before you got here, just like you said, Boss."
    The CWO leans against a table. He looks every member present in the eye. His family, men and women hes known and led for years...his responsibility.
    "OK, we 'may' have a problem with our new employer. You all have seen the contract. Well, seems we aren't gonna be doin much 'searching and rescuing'. We are being thrown in the mix with the rest of the combat units contracted here. I dont like it, but I think we are stuck with it. Their 'crats are real good, and found a clause that I missed. Nothin we aint done before, but I want u guys and gals to be real careful. We aren't being 'watched' as far as I know, but stay away from those Omni-Reform guys. Chaindogs are the same no matter what planet you're on. We've been in this game a long time, together, nuthin we can't handle. We good?"
    The answering chorus of cheers fills him with confidence. Damn this is a good bunch.
    "Ok, make it happen. Team leaders in my office in 10."
    Because we said so.

The Chief looked up at a knock at his door. "Come", he called. Beer, Max and Erikose filed in and took seats. "You guys get a chance to check out the profiles?" They nodded. "Questions?"
    "Boss", started Erikose, quickly glancing at the other two , "My crew is fine, we dont NEED no vacation."
    "Erik, I have no problem with you OR your crew. That last run was a mess. I was there, remember? I need a team to babysit Riders' towers for a few days, and you're it. If I had an issue with you, we would be having a different type of conversation. After reading more intel on that guy, I impressed we lasted as long as we did." He gazed steadily at Erik, "'Sides, Kensey looked a little shook. That was her first total wipe. Keep an eye on her." He nods, "I have been, MJ's been hangin with her. She'll be allright."
    The Chief looked at Max, his youngest Team Leader. "Max, I'm pullin Bull for a few days. You still have Wolf, so I'm not srtipping you naked for DD, but I'd rather err in OUR favor in IS."
    "No problems here, Chief."
    "Keep up the patrols, but dont get bogged down. We might need u guys in a hurry."

"Close the door, Beer." He waited till his senior TL sat back down. "I sent a message off to HQ. "Our" HQ, not these OT morons. I explained the situation to the Commandant. How his S and R teams are being used as covert ops. I'm hoping that Legal Div can get us out of here. Theres a big difference between running Search and Rescue on a frontier world, and doin "Black Ops". If Intern-Ops finds out we are trying to get out of the contract, there could be issues. But till this gets worked out, we still got a job to do. We are all familier with the political climate here. Ones mans "terrorist" is another mans "freedom fighter". All that concerns us is taking care of the Unit, and payday. I still want everyone armed 24/7 and prefer they not go out alone. These Clanners are insidious little pukes, never know when ones gonna snipe your ass."
    "Ok, Max, start your first patrol at o'dark thirty, we move in the morning. Be careful, and good hunting."
    Because we said so.

"Got it! Lets go!"

CWO Gunfytr watches over his shoulder as Beer shoves a bloody piece of torn flesh into a backpack. Another wave of cultists approach, wilting under the firepower of the team. Green and white tracers ricochet crazily from the stone floor and walls. The cultists seem annoyed that the team had killed their dragon-god. Pity, that.

"Back to the portal. Leapfrog by pairs, do it!"

I hope this is worth as much to Management as it is a pain to get. All this for a piece of meat. The cultists continue to swarm the team, make-shift weapons in their fists. Boards, tools and the odd firearm. Their biggest threat was their numbers.

*CRUNCH* Gun staggers, an impact to his back almost sending him to the floor. A warm tingle tells him MJ is on the job. He glances back, just in time to see her smash the offending cultist against a wall, before shoving her pistol under his chin. A second later, the wall is decorated in red. He grins. A blood thirsty bitch, but tops in her proffession.

A large door opens and a fresh wave emerges, flowing over Bull, driving him to the floor with the weight of bodies. Blades rise and fall, attempting to find a ***** in his armor. Gun and Beer quickly dive onto the pile, breaking bodies as they desperately try to free him. Gun sees MJ, standing behind the firing line. Eyes tightly clenched, she grates hoarsely, "Get him OUT of there!." The air crackles with energy as she pours heals into her fallen teammate. The remaining members form a semi-circle around them, striving to keep the rest of the cultists at bay. Suddenly, she lets out a shriek of rage and frustration. At the same time, the team hears a death rattle on their comlinks. Gun and Beer immediately abandon the pile, but not before Beer shoves a grenade deep inside. The following WHUMP sends blue clad bodies flying around the room. Gun activates his comlink.

< B Team! Max, you copy? >
    < B Lead, go ahead >
    < Bulls down, swing passed reclaim and pick him up >
    < Copy that >

He switches to a private link. "Max...it was bad, take care of him" "Got it, Boss"
    Reclaim may have made "permanent" death almost a thing of the past, but the trauma of the injuries that CAUSED the death still lingered in the mind. It was pure hell on the psyche, and didnt get easier with practice.

Step by step, the team moves towards the portal. Bodies form windrows around them. Finally they move thru, the rush of energy taking them away. The screams of the cultists fading away like the wind.....
    Because we said so.

Morning briefing. The teams are still riding high on the past days successes. They elbow each other and crack jokes, waiting for Gunfytr to start the meeting.

"Listen up! Daily patrol schedules are posted. We are bringing in an instructor this weekend for Clan weapon recognition and familiarisation. We need to know what to expect out there. Remember, the ass u save MAY be mine....so, there will be a quiz." Chuckles fill the room.

Guns demeaner suddenly turns serious. "We have an oppurtunity. This effects the whole Unit, so I want everyones opinion on it." He gazes around the room. "I picked up some Intel thru a source of my own, that our old buddy, the DB Commander is gonna be open to a hit."

"We know where and when hes going to be, and its doable. But there are some problems with it. While he IS on the "Kill on sight" list, this particular mission has been shopped out to another unit. IF we do this, it could cause bad blood with our "peers". So, is it worth stepping on some toes?"

Shouts and curses fill the room. Rifles and blades are waved around. The two 'trox begin head-butting each other in excitement.

Narnon, one of the adventurer/scouts, steps forward. "Sir! I'm sure I can speak for my team when I say WE volunteer for this mission!" Suddenly, every member is pressing forward, shouting to be included in the OP.

Smiling, Gun waves them back into their seats. "I'll take that as a 'Yes, we should do it'. OK, I appreciate the enuthsiasm, but we can only get a 6 man team thru the hole in security there. Your leadership is gonna 'put paid' to this guy. Im taking the 3 team leaders, MJ and......Kensy."

Sudden silence. Its been known that the debacle had severely hurt kensy's confidence. All eyes turn to her. She calmly gazes back....and walks over to Long. Grabbing the 'trox by the neck, she pulls him down and head-butts him with a resounding CRACK!

The crowd goes wild.
    Because we said so.

"Goin down, biatch!!"
    "Who's yer daddy, now, punk?"
    "Stay focused, dammit!"
    "Re-loading, cover!"

They finally have the DB Commander on the ropes. The relentless firepower brought to bear on him could have taken out a dreadnaught. But he WAS going down.

The DB boss, knowing he was doomed, charged MJ, hoping to cause some damage before being sent to reclaim. Beer stepped in between, taking the attack on his heavier, more durable armor. Quickly, Gun and Erikose swing behind him, shots questing for thinner armor. With a hatefilled snarl, the DB Boss collapses.

As one, the team drops to the sand, exhausted. One of the tougher missions, but, by far, the most needed. MJ and Kensy put their heads together, discussing exit options. Erik gets up and wonders off to where they had left the bodyguard assigned to the Boss. Suddenly, Max springs up off the sand and rushes over to where the DB Boss still lay. Gun sees him tear somthing off his armor and shove it into the Boss' mouth just seconds before the body de-rez's, taking the item with it. Max walks back to where the team lay resting.

Gun looks at him curiously, "What was that?" Max grins, "A Pathfinders Unit patch. I wanted him to know who WTFPWN'd his ass." Beer laughs, "Great, 'How to make friends and influence people.' I like it."

Erik strolls back, a disgusted look on his face. "And whats wrong with you?", asks Beer. Erik grimaces, "This whole 're-claim' thing is cool, and all. But, its really messin up my ear collection." The team breaks into laughter.

Gun calls over to his medics, "Kensy, MJ! Take us home."

<gridding>
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr silently ghosts across a wooded valley. So quiet is his passage, that even the local wildlife doesnt notice. One of his few "guilty pleasures", he enjoyed exploring and mapping the new worlds his proffession took him to. He paused, taking in the setting of this worlds twin suns. He takes a deep breath of the cool, sweet air, and continues up the ridge.

Nearing the top, he freezes, hearing the sounds of gunfire, shouts, and...laughter? Creeping closer, he sees an ICC Patrol, surrounding an abandoned shack. Probably an old mining camp, long fallen into disrepair. He settles down to watch. He listens as the patrol shout catcalls at the shack.

"Hey little MP, come out and play!"
    "Yeah! We loooove Clam girls!"
    "I heard re-claim is nice this time of day!"
    "We're gonna teach you to stay in your OWN place!"

"Whats going on here, Corporal?"
    "AAAGH!....Where did YOU come from?", The Patrol Leader sputters.
    Gun waves a hand, "Around. Now, what are you people doing?" The PL swallows, " We got us a Clammer MP in there, just having us a little fun before we send her back to where she belongs."

"So. ICC has officially decided to aid Omni in the eradication of the Clans, then?" The PL stares, "Um, well, no. But, shes out of her territory, and we were just gonna....um...that is...." "Sure you were. Allright, then, be on your way. I'm claiming the kill."

The PLs jaw drops, "You're WHAT??" Gun continues, unperturbed,"I'm claiming the kill." His gaze sharpens, "Unless you want to 'contest" my claim, and try a little '1v1'?" Uh, NO Sir, sorry Sir" "Thats what I thought, now gather your goons up and CLEAR MY AREA!"

Gunfytr watches as the ICC troops quickly leave the area, frantically hurried by their corporal. He sighs, and walks to the front of the shack. "They're gone. You can come out now," He calls. "Come on, I dont have all day."

The front door of the shack swings open and an MP pet demon runs out, snarling. The pet charges him, and begins bashing on his armor. Gun absently brushes aside the attack, and trips the demon. As the demon lay on the ground, he casually places a foot on its back, keeping it pinned. A small form then rushes out of the shack. The enraged MP stalking up to him. "What are you doing? Get off of him! Just who do you think you are??"

He looks down at the small Clan MP. "I think I'm the guy that saved you from a trip to re-claim, and probably worse. Now, control your pet, please." She stares, disbelieving, at him a moment, then waves a hand at the demon. Immediately, it stops snarling and scratching impotently at the ground. Gun steps off the demon, and moves a reassuring distance from the MP.

The MP helps her pet to its feet. "LOOK at this! You put a BOOT mark on him!" "Yeah, well, saves you the trouble of casting a new one."

"What do you want?"

<to be continued>
    Because we said so.

<continues>

"I just wanted to make sure you were ok. Fighting you Clan types is 'business', but anytime I can mess with the ICC, its 'personal'"

The MP scoffs, "You have a personal vedetta against ICC? Who ARE you, anyway?"
    Gun bows with a flourish, "Chief Warrant Officer Gunfytr, at your service, ma'am, Commanding 2nd Detachment 'Pathfinders'. And you are...?" "My name is Kisabamp," she replies, frowning, "But, you're Omni...." "Not exactly. My Unit is CONTRACTED to OT. I'm not an employee."

"So you came here to help those scum?"
    "Ma'am, my Unit specializes in Search and Rescue operations on frontier worlds. I THOUGHT thats what we were contracting for.....it seems we were mistaken."

Kisabamp puts both fists on her hips and stares at Gun. "But you SEE what they are doing, right? You KNOW its wrong how they deny us a free world."
    "Not to seem rude, but that has nothing to do with me OR my Unit. We got stuck with this job, but it beats digging ditches."

Kisa stamps a dainty, booted foot, "Thats a fine attitude to have!"
    Gun laughs, holding up empty hands, "Ok, ok, I admit Im not real impressed with our employer, but we are stuck. I dont think we can get out of this contract. So, I'm honor-bound to uphold the contract. Besides," he looks away, "We've done worse."

"Hello?", she snaps, "We are talking about NOW? THIS planet?"
    He grins at her, "Sorry." He sends a 'ping' to her com system, "I sent my com-link code to you..in case you're ever in need of my 'services' again."
    She relents, smiling, "You wish." Suddenly, she looks up, "Oh damn!!"
    Gun snaps alert, "Whats wrong?"
    "I called for help, you better get out of here!" She turns,"I'm serious.....hello?" But she is alone in the clearing. She turns a thoughtful gaze down the valley, as the sound of the Clan shuttle fills her ears.

Two valleys over, Gun slides throught the vegetation, not even disturbing the bugs. He smiles quietly to himself. "Kisabamp......" He rolls the name around in his head. This contract might not turn out to be so bad, after all.
    Because we said so.

"Hey Beer", Gunfytr sticks his head inside Beersoldiers office. Beer looks up from the training cube he was reading, "Wats up?" "I finally heard from HQ. Its the old, 'Good news/bad news' kinda thing." Beer snorts with laughter. "And you expected anything different?" "Yeah, well, we ARE stuck here, thats no big suprise, but we are getting more bodies." Beer stares, "Really? Who? Which teams?"

Gun shakes his head, "Not that easy, Sarge, you know better than that. No formed teams, just a 'hodge-podge' of what was available. More firepower, a few more medics, and some 'specialists. The way we have been hand picking the Teams to fit the mission means things wont change. We still run with three Operational Teams, the leftovers will be a fluid defense for this place, and I'm nominally gonna call them D Team." "That will make it easy," Beer replies,"But Specialists? I'm not sure I like the sound of that." Gun shrugs, "The Commandant, in his infinite wisdom, has seen fit to grace us with two of his snipers."

Beer stands up, "Gods, two of them?? What did you PUT in that report? Who are we getting?" Grinning, Gun casually slouches onto a couch in the office, "Mossdog and Conelious." Beer stops and closes his eyes. Gun continues off-handidly, "The Big Boss thinks we might need some of our OWN "Black Ops" types here. Those two aren't as bad as some we could have gotten."

With a sigh, Beer slowly falls back into his chair. "Who else we getting?" "Oh, lets see," Gun pulls a hard copy from his jacket pocket. "Um, Lovehandles, Pureownage, DrLongfellow....and Dark Mistress. You and her had a "thing" awhile back, didnt you?", He asks innocently. When Beer doesn't immediately answer, Gun looks up from his list. Beer is sitting with his head in his hands, arms resting on his desk, slowly shaking his head. Gun notices his ears are turning a peculiar shade of red.

"OK, well, I just wanted to pass along the news to my Senior Team Leader...I'll be leaving now!!" Gun makes a break for the door, just making it out before a paperweight smacks the doorframe.

Trotting down the hall to the Rec area, Gun grins as he listens as Beer 'redecorates' his office. Well, maybe we WILL have some fun while we're here.
    Because we said so.

A quiet afternoon in the Compound. The teams enjoying a well earned break. Members lounging around, swapping tales with the newest members of the detatchment. Breaking the calm, a klaxon sounds from the CP, and comlinks all over the compound pop. Gunfytrs voice blares in their ears.

< SCRAMBLE SCRAMBLE SCRAMBLE >
    < Rescue mission. Us. Real. Now. >
    < Team config D1, thats Delta-one >

The scene disolves into organized chaos. Team members grabbing weapons and equipment, Team Leaders shouting for muster. Through their links, Gun continues a running briefing.

< Shuttle crash. Teams A and C embark on incoming shuttle, ETA 90 secs. >
    < Teams B and D's shuttle inbound in 3 mikes>
    < D Team bring the field MASH unit. This is a 'Newcomer' shuttle, these people haven't had their data loaded into the 're-claim' process, so expect 'real world' injuries. >

A screaming shuttle touches down, hatches opening even before it hits the ground. Team members charge onboard, while B and D members throw extra equipment, ammo and medical gear on. Gun gets a thumbs up from Beer and Max, and nods at the Omni crew chief. The shuttle launches itself into the air, having been on the ground a total of 10 seconds.

Hanging onto a brace inside the shuttle, Gun is in contact with the spaceport controller. He acknowledges the latest report, and shakes his head. "It just gets gooder and gooder!', he shouts to Beer and Max, "Its in the heart of Medusa territory. We're goin in hot!" They nod, and turn back to their teams, briefing them.

Through the front windscreen, Gun can see a towering column of smoke. The shuttle circles the site once, looking for a landing zone.

< Sweep the site and then form a perimeter. After we get it secure, medics do what you can. The MASH is right behind us >

The shuttle touches down, Team members firing from still opening hatches, cutting down Medusas. They quickly form a line, one team on either side of the wreck, and begin sweeping the crash site of the rampaging creatures. Bodies lay around, some obvious victims of the crash, others bearing whip marks from the medusas tentacles. Gun can see at least one crewman, firing a pistol at the creatures. He shifts his fire to aid the crewman in keeping the medusas from the ruptured hatch.

Reaching the end of the shuttle, the teams form a perimeter, keeping the creatures at bay. Gun opens his com-link, and releases 2 members from each team to begin aiding survivors. The remaining members keep up a steady rate of fire at any medusa that stray too close. Gun receives a com from the D team leader, Graydoc.

< Chief, you copy? >
    < Go ahead Doc >
    < ETA 60 secs. >
    < Copy, land and set up MASH on west, I repeat, west side of crash >
    < Wilco. Hows it look, Boss? >
    < Definately some survivors here, unknown on numbers yet. >
    < Clear, coming in now >

Gun watches as the shuttle comes in. Pausing to blast a medusa trying to sneak around the wing of the downed shuttle, he walks towards the cockpit area. What he sees there makes him stop, stunned. A large crater in the shuttles body, just below the cockpit, smoke blackened and gaping. The exact type of hole a 'Surface to Air' missle would make. He groans to himself, "It just gets gooder and gooder."

<to be continued>

((MASH = Mobile Army Surgical Hospital))
    Because we said so.

Deep in discussion with two Omni-Pol investigators, Gunfytr glances up as the last Omni-Med shuttle takes off. As soon as he reported that the shuttle appears to have been downed by hostile action, the site was swarmed with investigators and technicians. His Unit had been requested to remain at the scene and provide security.

Nodding to the Lead Investigator, he walks towards where the MASH unit was set up. He keys his com-link.

< Chief to all teams, be advised we are here for the night. I've been assured that supplies are enroute. As soon as the MASH gets broken down, we'll get a rotation started. Team Leaders check ammo expenditure, and report then. >

Walking to where Gray and MJ were beginning to put equipment away, he calls out, "How we doin guys? What was the numbers?" Both medics looked worn. "Pretty bad," MJ replies, "When the hull split is when they lost most their people. Um, 47 DOA?", She looks at Gray. He nods, "Bout that. Virtually everyone that was breathing when we got here, is gonna make it."

"Good job", Gun says, "You get anything from the surivors?" "Evidently, they took the hit when they leveled out for approach. Seems the Co-pilot survived the missle hit, and managed to get it down in...well, mostly one piece," Gray shakes his head, "I wish we got here sooner. He bled out before we got to him."

Gun looks up at a shout. "Ok, get this broke down. We'll need a base camp for the night. I'll get you guys a break when we can." He walks back to the Investigators. "I cant promise you a feather bed, but I got provisions on the way. Had to lean on a few people, but it should be here soon, Chief." The Investigator shudders as a burst of gunfire rings out. "I'm just glad you guys agreed to stay. Those damn medusas give me the creeps."

Suddenly, a shuttle drops out of the cloud cover and flies over the wreckage. Gun ignores it, shuttles have been coming and going for hours. But this one drops lower, circling the crash site. It flies still lower. Too low, blowing up sand and debris in what is now a crime scene.

"Oh, hell," He hears the Investigator mutter. Gun takes a closer look at the shuttle. All black, with no markings apparent. Then he sees it, a small silver skull on the nose of the craft. Great, like his day wasn't bad enough.

< OK, tighten up. We got company. Keep your mouths shut. >

The shuttle lands, and Black armored troops stream out the back, forming a perimeter around the craft. Once the perimeter is formed, a haughty figure stalks down the ramp. Black trenchcoat, mirrored sunglasses. Omni-Reform. Great.

Looking away, Gun notices that he is alone. The Investigators and all the techs were now diligently working inside the wrecked shuttle. He sighs, "I'm getting slow in my old age," he thinks to himself. He unbuckles his helmet and hangs it on his belt.

< to be continued >
    Because we said so.

< continues >

The Omni-Reform Captain stalks up to him. "Where is your commanding Officer?" He snaps impatiently, "Get him at once!"

"That would be me," Gunfytr replies smoothly, "Chief Warrant, Pathfinder Detachment. What can I help you with?"

"Oh, 'contract' troops," He sneers, "And you can't 'help' me with anything. You can hold yourself in readiness for my commands. Now, who is the ranking Omni Officer here? Quickly!"

"My troops are the only combat unit here, there are Omni-Pol investigators inside the crash, but..." "Fine, then," The captain interupts, "I'm assuming command."

"Great!" says Gun, beaming, "How do you want to swap out troops on the perimeter? I can have my shuttles here in about 5 minutes. We weren't looking forward to spending the night playing with medusas, anyway."

"What??", the Captain sputters, "You can't leave! I ORDER you to maintain your posts!"

"Well, theres a problem with that, Captain," Gun grins at him, "According to my contract, my Chain of Command doesn't come anywhere CLOSE to Omni-Reform. So, that means," He says, speaking slowly, "If you take command, I get to go home. Ok? Oh, by the way, the medusas get really active after dark, so if you dont mind...."

*a little later*

"So, what did you tell him?" Beer stands next to Gunfytr as he waves goodbye to the departing black shuttle. "I just used my incredible personality and charming wit," Gun shrugs. "Wow, that poor son of a leet. He never had a chance, did he?" "Nope," Gun replies, "Never give a fool an even chance." He looks up.

< OK, chows comin in! Lets move like we got a purpose, people! >
    Because we said so.

The two Agents wait motionless. They have each played this game dozens of times before. They dont even blink as they await their opponents next move. Years of training and expirience allow them to hardly breathe as they---"Well, just WHAT am I supposed to do with YOU two?"

Gunfytr glares at the agents standing 'at ease' in front of his desk. "OK, fine. The Boss sent you to me, I guess I might as well make use of you." He glances over at Beersoldier, leaning against the wall, watching the two. "I've downloaded mission profiles to your personal terms, and I want you to follow up on those leads." He leans forward in his chair, "Be advised, this is NOT a safari. I do not want you two out there 'head hunting'. 'KoS' targets and self-defense only. I want the body count kept to a minimum on this. I dont want a lot of attention drawn to us in regards to the shuttle crash, but I want answers. You get me?"

"WE GET YOU, SIR!" They shout back in unison.

"Hoorah. Go play, stay out of trouble, and most of all....dont get caught. I expect regular contacts from you"

Without even glancing at each other, both Agents simply disappear.

Beer leans up from the wall, "I hate when they do that. Think they're really gone?" He walks over and closes the door, checking the floor for shadows as he goes.

Gun leans back in his chair and stretches, "They better be. If they think they can play with me on this, I might have to take them to the Notum Silo and show them the error of their ways."

Beer laughs, "Think you can take them?" Gun shakes his head, "The day I can't crush an Agent is the day I hang up my armor. Both of them at once?" He shrugs, "Maybe. Hopefully it wont come to that. We got them at a really good time. I'm following leads on my own, but those guys are built for it."

"So, what have we got on the attack, so far?" Beer sits on a chair near the desk.

"Well, I dont think it was the Clans. They have as much to gain from a shuttle full of Newcomers as Omni does, now-a-days. I just need confirmation on this, and I'm workin on that now. If the NLF's Leadership hadn't been gutted, I would start looking there, but, I dont know just how operational they are."

"How are we gonna get confirmation it wasn't a CoT sponsored hit?" Beer sits up, "Just what are you up to, now?"

Gun begins typing on his comp,"I've got.....feelers out. Just waiting for a nibble."

"Ok, call me if you need me, Boss" Beer gets up and walks out of the office, going to see what kind of mischief his team has gotten into.

Gun sits at his desk, staring at his E-mail. Unread messages: _0_ He whispers to an unseen person, "C'mon dammit....agree to meet me!"
    Because we said so.

Beer stares anxously at Gunfytr, "Boss, this is really, really a bad idea." "Maybe," Gun shrugs, "But I dont think so."

Gun stands on a rocky hilltop, surrounded by all 4 teams. They form a tight perimeter around him, warily watching the area. Proximity radar has shown several Clan Teams in the area, but none have come within visual range.

"Movement!", Erik calls out. Gun turns to see a Clan Soldier walking slowly towards him. "Easy, troops", Gun calls out, "Its part of the arrangment." Gun removes his helmet as the female fighter looks him up and down disdainfully. Finally she nods and turns to walk away. "Follow me", she calls over her shoulder, "Alone." Gun feels the Teams bristle, but their dicsipline holds.

"You have Command 'til I get back. This goes bad, I want you to hit the grid." Beer shakes his head, "No way, Boss. This goes bad, we're comin for you." Gun laughs, "If this goes bad, I'll be at reclaim before you get to the door. I got a good feeling 'bout this, I'll be fine."

Gun follows the Clanner to a group of buildings at the bottom of the hill. As he approaches the door of the center building, 3 shades suddenly uncloak in a semicircle in front of him, tattoo'd faces twisted with hate, blades poised. Gun swallows hard, but doesn't otherwise flinch. Visibly disappointed he didnt try to run, they reluctantly give way, and allow him to enter the building.

Gun pauses inside the door, allowing his eyes to adjust to the murky coolness. The main room is ringed with Clan fighters, all watching him. Thier expressions ranging from hate and anger to amusement. In the center of the room stands a table with 2 chairs, the one closest to him empty, his "host" occupying the other. At a wave from his host, he walks forward and sits.

...And looks into the eyes of Captain Steelyglint of The Black Company.....

*continued*
    Because we said so.

*continued*

"So, Chief Warrant, to what do we owe the pleasure?", Steely watches Gun carefully, "Welcome to our humble abode. Not that this is our base, of course." He grins wryly.

"I'm glad you agreed to meet, Captain," Gun replies, "I believe we can help each other."
    "Do you, now?", Steely laughs, "What makes you think we need, much less would acccept, help from an Omni?"
    "Contrary to what Omni-Pol might think, I dont believe the Clans had anything to do with the shuttle being shot down.", Gun taps a pocket on his combat armor, "All the intel I have on the shuttle is on disc. From sources not available to you, I might add. Nothing of any military value, of course."
    "Oh, of course," replies Steely. He pauses in thought.

BEEP!

Gun blinks. He casually looks around the room, searching for the source of the sound. No one else in the room had reacted to it. He wonders if this is the beginning of a trap. Ok, just play it out and see what happens.

Steely visibly comes to a decision. "Alright, MAYBE we are willing to deal. To the best of my knowledge it wasn't a Clan operation. I can't speak for all the factions, but if there were Clans involved, we hadn't heard of it. The loss of potential assets to our cause is annoying." He peers into Gun's eyes. "I've been checking up on you, Chief Warrant. It seems you have been expanding your circle of friends. Kisabamp says 'hello'. Its rare to find an enemy that can at least SPELL 'Honor'.
    Gun nods, "When I'm able, I do what I can." He glances around the room, "And I have checked up on TBC, also, Captain. Profoundly militant, set in their Cause, but Honorable, when possible. This is what led me to believe...."

BEEP!

"Um, led me to believe we could arrange a short 'truce', to share intel on a common enemy" Gun fights down an uneasy feeling. None of the Clanners in the room have acknowledged the 'beep'. WTF was going on?

"So, Chief, what made you sign on with this Totalitarian, oppressive Corporation? Was your parent Unit hurting for credits that badly?"
    Gun chuckles, "No, nothing like that. It seems that OT has a real knack for 'contract interpetation'", he shrugs, "We didn't look closely enough, and now we're stuck. It would hurt our Home Unit's rep too much to just break contract." He sighs, "This isn't what we were looking for."

BEEP!

"Captain, if I might be allowed a question?" Steely sits back, and after a moment, nods. "WTF is that noise??"

Steely stares at him a moment, then slowly climbs to his feet. He swings the backpack from behind him, and slams it down on the table in front of a dumbfounded Gun. "THIS! This thing is the bane of my exsistance!"
    Carefully, Gun examines the backpack. Scratched, dented and worn, it appears no different than any hes ever seen.

BEEP!

Gun stares at the backpack, yup, the beep came from it. His gaze rises to meet Steely's. "You're kidding, right?" "I wish I were, Chief. I just can't bear to get rid of it. At least until I've beaten it."
    "Ok, Chief, I like the fact that you were brave enough to come, alone, into this den of thieves." He glances around at his people, "I know you appreciate the risk to both our units if this meeting ever became common knowledge. But, I think it worth the risk. For curiousity as much as anything. I think we can deal."

BEEP!

"OH shut up you piece of leet dung!!", Steely smacks the pack, sending it flying off the table. "It grows on you after awhile," He says, calmly.
    "I'm sure it does," Gun replies doubtfully.
    "I think this calls for a drink, Chief," Steely grabs a bottle off a shelf, "Have one?"
    "Never turn down free booze, Captain," Gun replies.

*2 hours later*

Beer watches as 2 figures stumble out of the main building arm in arm. Gun had contacted him some time ago to inform him all was well. He watches in utter disbelief as a thoroughly drunken Gunfytr and an equally intoxicated Clan battle Captain stumble up the hill. There they take their leave.

"Gun," says Steely, blinking owlishly, "I hope we never meet again." "Steely, you can pick your friends, but you can't always pick your enemies," Gun slurrs back. "You got my com-link, calls me if you needs me." With that, Steely nods and turns to go. He stumbled, and would have fallen, had he not lurched into Beer. "'Scuse me, mate", he says blearily, continuing down the hill.

Speechless, Beer turns to look at Gun. Gun is walking back towards the unit. Every few steps, he shouts "BEEP!", laughing uproarously every time. He shakes his head.

< Grid us outta here, so we can get him in bed. Who's got the hangover meds? >

((Steelyglint and TBC used with permission))
    Because we said so.

*ping*

Kisabamp glances up at her HUD, and frowns at the comm-link code shown. Who is that? She doesnt recognize the code, and briefly mulls over the option of not answering. Sighing, she activates her comm, if this is another piece of spam...

"Kisabamp?"
    "Yes...who is this?"
    "This is Chief Warrant Gunfytr......do you remember me?"
    "Oh, yes", she laughs, "The Omni who thinks hes a 'white knight'"
    "Contractor, please...I'm still not an employee."
    "What can I do for you, Chief?"
    "I was wondering if you would agree to meet me."
    "Oh, really? Why?"
    "Um....."
    She smiles coyly, "Chief?"
    "Uh, yes, ma'am.....I would like some information on.....the Meta-Phys Profession."
    Putting her comm on 'mute', she bounces in place, giggling, earning her a confused stare from her demon. Composing herself, she 'un-mutes' her comm.
    "Ok, Chief. Where would you like to meet?"
    "How about Reets Retreat? Say around 2100 hours, um, 9PM?"
    "That will be fine. I'll bring some research material with me."
    "....Pardon?"
    "Well, you want to know more about MPs, right?"
    "OH...Yes, of course. See you then."
    "Goodby"

Disconnecting her comm, she sighs happily. Since their 'encounter' Gunfytr had been in her thoughts more than once. "Hmm..., " she thinks, "I wonder which lip gloss will go best with my armor?" She glances at her chrono. Four PM, just enough time to get ready.....
    Because we said so.

Kisabamp strolls into the side room of Reets and looks around. She frowns. Shes intentionally 10 minutes late, and she still doesnt see Gunfytr here. She walks to a back booth, where she can watch the door, and sits.

She feels a breeze drift passed her face, and squeeks as Gun uncloaks and becomes visible across the booth from her. Gun finds himself staring down the sights of Kisa's Bow...from the wrong side.

"Whoa...easy there!" He grins as she lowers the weapon.
    "Bejesus, thats a good way to get yourself ganked, there, mister!"
    "Well, I've become a bit paranoid lately."
    "I bet. Did you get with Captain Steely?"
    "I did, I wanted to thank you for vouching for me."

"So, Chief, what would you like to know about the MP proffession?"
    "Please, call me 'Gun'', He laughed, "That was just a lame excuse to get you to meet with me."
    Kisa gives him a wide-eyed innocent look. "Really? Then why would you want to see me?"
    Gun looks into her deep brown eyes a moment, and then looks down, blushing slightly. "I just wanted to get to know you a little. Maybe spend some time together." He looks back up, "If you're agreeable."
    Reaching over and taking his hand, Kisa laughs lightly, "I think we can work something out." She sobers, "You DO understand theres this whole Omni/Clan thing going on, right? The War?"
    Gun shrugs, "I've seen worse."

Suddenly a shadow falls over the table, and they look up to see a Neutral Fixer standing over them, glaring. "And another thing, " He shouts in a drunken voice, "seems so a respectable Neutral cant get a drink in a Neut Bar anymore without having to put up with the stench!"
    Gun shifts in his seat angrily. "Take it easy, its not worth it, "Kisa tells him quietly.
    "Im not gonna let him talk about you like that!" He replies heatedly.
    She chuckles, "Hes not talking about ME."
    "Hey buddy," the fixer continues to Gun, "Did you step in some rollerrat crap on your way in here?" He takes a closer look at Gun, "OH HO....you're an Omner! THAT explains it!" He watches Gun for a reaction, and when he doesnt get one, shakes his head and walks off towards the bar in disgust.

"What an asshat," Gun mumbles, "I outta..."
    "Outta stay out of it," Kisa insists, "You get a count on the Neuts in here?"
    Gun sighs, "You're right, the last thing I need is to get in a duel. Hey," he says, brightening, "Can I get you a drink?"
    "Sure, a couple shooters would be good about now, no pun intended," She smiles.
    "Kewl, be right back." He gets up and walks to the bar. Leaning on the bar, he calls to the bartender, "Heya mate! Bottle of Scottish and 2 glasses." The bartender gives him a surly look, but passes the booze over, taking the credits Gun offers him. Walking back to the booth, someone pushes him, and he bumps into another body. Suddenly, the drunkin Fixer is in his face. "Watch what you're doin you clumsy 'Trox lover!" Gun notices a circle of angry faces surrounding him. "I dont want any trou-", He starts. The Fixer smacks both hands on Guns chest armor, pushing him back, "I demand a duel!", He shouts, "Glass dance floor, NOW!" Gun notices that the Fixer doesnt look quite so drunk any more. He begins to smell a rat.
    Gun sees Kisa slide up along side of him, "Well, you sure know how to show a girl a good time, Gun. You know you have to fight him, right?"
    "Looks like its the only way I'm are gonna get out of here, " He glances at her, " This isnt your fight, you know."
    "HA! Thats funny. I dont like to see my friends get ganked. You have been set up from the beginning."
    Gun quirks a smile at her, "Friends, huh?"
    She leans in for a quick hug, "Yes, moron, and I'm gonna need you in one piece if we are gonna be more than friends."
    "Well, thats what I call incentive. Lets get this over with."

<continued>
    Because we said so.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast