Thread: Guild Expectations

Exclamation Guild Expectations

Some people want different things from a guild. Here is my opinion of what you should not expect:

1. The guild does not make the game fun. If AO is not fun for you anymore, there is very little that anyone can do about it.

2. Don't expect a lot of free stuff, especially if you are new to the guild.

3. Events are a part of guilds, but someone needs to organize them. If you have an idea for a fun event, then organize it, the guild will help you, but don't expect someone else to do everything.

4. Most problems with a guild have solutions, but they require work, the best person to do this work is yourself. No events? Organize one. No one to team with? Recruit people of your level into the guild. Someone is doing something you don't like? Discuss it with them, in /tells. Don't just say "I don't want to get into the details, but the reason I am leaving is because of Mr. X". Not very organized in PvP, or Dungeon raids? Be the organizer!

5. Don't expect someone that posts loot to wait around forever for you to show up.

6. Don't expect the undivided attention of a guildmate. I usually start my /tells with "Are you busy?"

There is a relationship between you and your guild, and, like most relationships, what you get out of it depends on how much you put into it.

/me agrees wholeheartedly

*bump!*
    -------------
    Myles "Tahrus" Barchus
    CEO Freedom News Networks Inc., RK2
    Bureaucrat, Media Mogul, and all-around good guy!

As with everything else, it works both ways

BUMP

all good points, one would do well to read through these before joining any org IMO

BUMP!

Personally I would disagree with a few of these point...

Many of them are subjective based on your guilds goals...

For me... Guilds do make the game fun... not because they make things happen but they provide a persistant social environment...

As for "free stuff"... I don't believe anything is free but at the same time I won't charge any guildie in our guild no matter how new they are... In fact just last week I gave away a 650k value set of armor to a new guildie... While you shouldn't just "expect" your going to be given free stuff some guilds simply like to share...

Events in guilds happen because people make them happen... If however your the only one making events then the guild isn't active.. you are... If you find your the only one making things "happen" in your guild then you may want to find a guild where there are others like you making things happen too...

Being part of a guild is a two way relationship... The more you put into it the more you get out of it... but if your puting everything into it and nothing is coming out of it then the relationship might be failing...

I'm quite fortunate that I found Project Eden... These haven't been issues for me at all... If people need things but don't have time to sync up we stash them in the bank till we can get together... It's simply a curtisy thing....

I guess what I'm saying is it's ok to have expectations going into a guild but if things aren't working out then perhaps it's time to chose a different guild... Just make sure you do your homework before going in so you know if your expectations are reasonable for the guild...

On one issue I very much agree though... if your having problems with people in the guild talk it out... It's a social environment and the only way to resolve issues is through the chat interface... Remember that the chat interface can't show intent so you have to keep an open mind when you work out your problems... And making personal problems public doesn't reflect well on the parties involved... Work it out... get your leaders involved if that isn't working but don't go posting chat logs publicly... that just gets messy...

- Bidi
    Proud advisor of Project Eden
    www.aoprojecteden.org

Great post, Quool.

I'd like to add one thing to this -

Please do not flood your org leader with /tells about gameplay, etc. that could be better answered via org chat - I dunno about the rest of you guys but I'm in mistell hell ALL the time I am online, and it's a lot easier to answer questions via /o than it is to /r when I'm getting 30,000 tells - plus the other members may have input to add and may be interested in the answers to your questions as well.. sure, some things are better brought to /tells but with stuff like "What gun should I be using?" is so much better handled in org chat.

--K

Good post
    Sonny "Ramid" Bichrest

President Vox Populi
    Guild website
    http://www.bbfun.com/index.php?mforum=vox

Very good post. I'll bump this up so everyone can see it.
    Sepentura

"The future is in your hands."

Former Leader - Sea of Change