Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please Welcome The Phasefront Jetbikes And Hoverboards

I'd never heard of it before and I certainly never heard of some tiny company off in the middle of some US state either. Seemed pretty original to me pretty sure they've never heard of the company you're talking about either.
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by tazalanche View Post
    You mean like the company called "Phasefront Labs" out of Salem, Oregon USA?

It's not copyrighted because its a Methlab.

Unhappy Stop the presses!!!

I don't know who or how the name was chosen,whether I like it or don't.
    I do think the rules should be followed,why else would you have rules?
    Rule #2. Entrant’s name or phrase chosen may not have been previously published or copyrighted
    If the name is a lab or anything else then it's been published.
    v. pub·lished
    1.To prepare and issue (printed material) for public distribution or sale.
    2.To bring to the public attention; announce.

GZ to the winners even if you don't have to follow the rules!
    Guess I'm a troll :/

You mean like the company called "Phasefront Labs" out of Salem, Oregon USA?
    friend, I do not doubt you that such a place exists, but since I do not find a match on Google, Web search Yellow Pages, or Even Salem, OR Chamber of Commerce Website, they do not appear to have a public sector presence. For that reason it is hardly suprising that it did not affect the selection criteria.
    Only through the exercise of free will can the soul grow; only through courage in the face of temptation and pain can the spirit soar.

is your google broken?...because it shows plain as day on mine
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

Why not just post a link to the site then for those of us who can't [be bothered to] find it ?
    Last edited by Healyhatman; Aug 27th, 2007 at 16:18:41.
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

I would also like to call something else to attention. The contest said we were supposed to come up with a company name for the JETBIKES...not the Jetbikes AND the Hoverboards. So, of course my name didn't fit both.

WTB a do-over due to FC's insufficient explaination of what we were supposed to be naming.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

my suggestions....

I threw out the name of "Hongo Mongo JetBikes Limited LLC".
    Honge
    Atrox Enforcer

"Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I might remember. Involve me and I will learn!"

Quote Originally Posted by Healyhatman View Post
    Why not just post a link to the site then for those of us who can't [be bothered to] find it ?
    You can't be bothered to type 'phasefront' into google, but you can be bothered to follow a link? I'll pass, I don't want to put too much strain on you.

Regardless of whether you've personally heard of it or not, the fact remains that the term is both published all over the internet & trademarked (either of which should have disaqualified the entry according to the contest rules outlined by FC). Even the most cursory internet search will reveal this, so I really don't understand why people are trying to pretend it's a creative new word.
    Last edited by Vlain; Aug 27th, 2007 at 17:09:00.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

~Lewis Carroll

Yup, I googled phasefront and it's used in a lot of places, it's most certainly published, and that would disqualify it.

(NOTE) I now see that my idea was copyrighted by a forklift company (who knew?), so this is not just me saying I want another chance, this is about FC not following their own rules.
    Last edited by CallMeBurma; Aug 27th, 2007 at 17:16:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfekt View Post
    HEALTH WARNING: This reply was made on equipment that also produces sarcasm. Reply may contain bits of sarcasm as a result.
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Please give us solo LE missions, FC
    Xaun's Big List O Suggestions

i vote "Hover Engineering Inc", known as "HEI" (also known as "hi" in norwegian )
    Rerolled old toon:
    Catosan - TL6 Adventurer - MeleeMonkey
    Shixxer - TL3 Fixer - In training
    Marthechan - TL2 Bureaucrat - In training
    Facepool - TL1 Enforcer - In training

Hanging around since: 2001-12-30 15:33:24

I am not retreating - I am advancing in another direction.

Never heard of the company before. This is the only reference I find to the name:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/048917L.html

Look below "photo info" and above the google ads.

Note: I don't care about the name, just looks/functionality. Just thought I'd share what I found.

Btw I googled my Aeropede Logistics it came up no matches.
    So Funcom time to step up

Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    You can't be bothered to type 'phasefront' into google, but you can be bothered to follow a link? I'll pass, I don't want to put too much strain on you.
    I did type it into google..... and all I found were technical papers.

People may need to get over it slightly..... just because someone somewhere thought of it first, how does that make it any less original on his/her/atrox's part? If they've never heard of it themselves...... And I'm not sure the contents of publicly published scientific journals are all copyrighted either. It does however sound like a lot of you are just a *little* jealous that YOU didn't win the fun new computer. Or maybe you just don't like the name? Because you try and come up with a decent-sounding word/name for the new boards... Then type it into google see how long it takes you to come up with a decent name with no google hits.
    Last edited by Healyhatman; Aug 28th, 2007 at 02:18:09.

I did type it into google..... and all I found were technical papers.

People may need to get over it slightly..... just because someone somewhere thought of it first, how does that make it any less original on his/her/atrox's part? If they've never heard of it themselves...... And I'm not sure the contents of publicly published scientific journals are all copyrighted either. It does however sound like a lot of you are just a *little* jealous that YOU didn't win the fun new computer. Or maybe you just don't like the name? Because you try and come up with a decent-sounding word/name for the new boards... Then type it into google see how long it takes you to come up with a decent name with no google hits.
    ...or maybe you just don't understand the rules. And apparently you don't understand the definition of 'original' either.

As I said in my first post the name itself is fine; what I, and others, have a problem with is that according to the rules the name had to be original, not previously published, and not trademarked. Failing any one of those criteria are grounds for disqualification according to the rules FC posted (and this entry fails several of the criteria).

I find it highly amusing that you think a person can claim originality just because they weren't aware others already thought of their idea. Even if one could claim originality via ignorance, there is absolutely no way to prove that the person came up with the idea on their own.

By your logic I could have submitted the name Nike Air Jordans, and won by simply claiming I had never heard of the shoes.

This amusing quote bears repeating:

...just because someone somewhere thought of it first, how does that make it any less original...
    good stuff lol...that would be sig material if I had any room left
    Last edited by Vlain; Aug 28th, 2007 at 03:08:18.

~Lewis Carroll

It's a bit deeper than that, the winner didnt select 'Phasefront labs' he selects 'Phasefront', by your logic any word thats ever been used in the name of any entity would be disqualified and the winner would be along the lines of 'Tfhgasdf%(^(&T*)&TGPOG Bikes inc'
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

We check such things before going ahead, 'Phasefront' is primarily a scientific term, and as such using it in and of itself is not an issue in this context. Just like for example the fact that 'Apple' exists as a company doesn't mean using the word 'apple' for a unrelated product or purpose isn't allowed.

As Neista just pointed out, the fact that a word is used somewhere, for something else, entirely unrelated (or even in many cases related if the word is a common term), doesn't mean that there is a problem using it.

There are no relevant trademarks or published legal entities relating to the term 'Phasefront' that would block us using it in this instance, or that would mean the entry was in any way invalid.

If for example there was a specific copyright or trademark for a motorbike called 'Phasefront' that included using its image or likeness in certain context's that might be legally considered in this case then it might have been an issue for example. As there isn't then it doesn't present an issue in this context.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Haha pwned, whiners

It is not my intention to troll, but I thought
    ...you would troll anyway. So you found an obscure use of the name somewhere else (and it must have taken a lot of work, given how far down the list it must be when searching the term - even specifying the geographic info it's not turning up in the first 10 pages!)

Just goes to show that no initiative will go unwhined-about.
    Last edited by CarbonumCopy; Aug 28th, 2007 at 14:44:03.
    Yes, we have no signature today!

...so I guess Air Jordan would have been valid after all, or even Windclipper (they make windmills), or how about Osmosis Cycles or Mitochondria Bikes (those are scientific entries). Weird contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    ... by your logic any word thats ever been used in the name of any entity would be disqualified and the winner would be along the lines of 'Tfhgasdf%(^(&T*)&TGPOG Bikes inc'
    Not really. You don't have to write gibberish to be creative. There are plenty of clever combinations of coherent words that haven't yet been conjured. People come up with new terms & phrases all the time.

'Phasefront' hasn't always been a term. It's a very cool sounding term, but its not original. If it wasn't already an existing term or the name of an existing company I wouldn't have any problem with it whatsoever.

When I read the rules I was under the impression they wanted something original, new, & creative - something in line with a word like Yalmaha. Nobody ever heard of a Yalmaha before AO, unless they were mispelling Yamaha.
    Last edited by Vlain; Aug 28th, 2007 at 18:36:51.

~Lewis Carroll

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast