Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: In depth look at Grand Theft Humidity.

In depth look at Grand Theft Humidity.

I am not going to present complex math to illustrate anything in this post. I will attempt to write this so that anyone can follow the logic. I am not writing this as an attempt to defend this nano from nerfs, nor am Im writing this post to show that it is overpowered. The reality of it is a bit more complex. Please stay with me on this one.

Grand Theft Humidity (GTH) has almost no cast-time or recharge so it is possible to cast it over and over pretty rapidly until it lands. It can only be cast on 1 target every 60 seconds.

As it is right now it removes your nanopool rapidly. 5-10 sec depending on how big of a nanopool you got and if you are casting anything while you are suffering from it. On NT's the nanopool is drained even faster. The nanodrain will last for 60 sec. It cannot be removed with Virus Scanners.

I suspect that this nano is bugged atm and thus more powerful than FC intended. I am not sure about this though. In addition to giving you a nano DoT that takes away your nano, it is supposed to stop your nano regeneration. It has a -2000 nano-delta debuff and I think this is simply ment to stop all nano delta. As it is atm though, it makes your nano delta run in reverse, thus taking away nano even faster. If you have 200 nano delta and you get his by GTH then the -2000 nanodelta will make you lose 1800 more nano every regeneration-tick. I believe this is a mistake but I cannot be sure. I also believe that you are supposed to be able to remove GTH with Virus Scanners. I believe its a bug that you cannot remove it atm.

Anyway, thats how it works.

So, is this overpowered or not?

Well, lets start at the beginning. Traders have a tool set that is outdated or underpowered. Roots are very unreliable. Skill-drains mostly don't have enough affect anymore in PvP, now that everyone got so much more weapon and nanoskill. We use Health haggler to heal ourselves and 800-900 heal every 4 seconds is obviously not enough to survive most attacks. Borrow reflect is nice but only when there is a soldier with AMS nearby. Most of the time a trader is underpowered compared to those around him.

In an attempt to fix this, FC added GTH that works very well against NT's and docs. It works well against crats, MP's, enforcers. It works kinda ok vs advs, fixers, agents (but they dont lose much offensive power so its not an "I win" button vs them). It works badly vs shades and keepers. And so on. Good vs some, bad vs others and ok vs the rest.

But this is completely backwards. It works best vs the professions we needed the least amount of help with and helps the least vs the professions we did needed the most amount of help with. So right off the bat this nano is badly designed. It fits with the trader description that we can drain your nano pool and add it to our own but AO has changed a lot in the previous years and its about time FC stopped adding nanos to fit the profession description and started adding nanos that fit the gameplay as it is today. Thats why we have professionals. To give FC that insight. But this has very little success.

Ok, so now we have explored a little of what this nano does, who it has the most effect on and what I think of that effect.

Now, lets look at this from a trader point of view first. A trader's biggest problem in PvP is that big damage done to us is hard to recover from with our tiny heals and no absorb, evade-perks or non-situational or non-self-gimping nanos (Like borrow reflect or nanobot shielding). This means that the tools we have MUST work quickly so that our tools can have their full effect before we die. So that we at least have a chance at doing what we do and trying to win the fight.

GTH works fast and we traders like that. If it worked slower then we could be killed before the target even ran out of nano and thats no good. There is no point in a tool that works well AFTER the trader is dead. It also has to last a while seeing as we got a lot of things to cast and we have relative low damage after our initial attempt at an alpha. GTH lasts 1 minute and thats good. It gives us time to do a real fight versus professions like adventurer or enforcer. If GTH lasted 20 sec then the adventurer (for example) would run out of nano but if we didn't kill the adv in those 20 sec (and thats not exactly easy....) then he would regain nano, heal himself and now we are back at square one. However, we could recast GTH after those 20 sec to keep the nano drain going. But if we could just recast it, then there is not much point in making it last so short in the first place. Except maybe to make it less annoying to those that got GTH on them and then ran away from fight. As it is atm they gotta wait 1 min for GTH to vanish before they can refill their nanopool. But if FC makes it removable with Virus Scanners then that whole problem goes away. If you are in a fight with the trader then GTH wont go away no matter how short lasting it is because the trader can re cast it. If you get away from the trader then it doesnt matter how long it lasts because you can remove it with virus scanners.

So all in all, 60 sec duration is fine when you can use virus scanners to remove it.
    And how fast it removes nanopool shouldn't be nerfed too much, if any at all, because if our tools work slower than they do then we are back at square one kinda. We don't have a lot of defense so the tools we have needs to work FAST.

Ok, now lets look at this from the other side of the fence. I will mention docs and NT's because they are the ones that are having most problems with this nano.

Against NT's GTH is a "I win" nano. I don't like it one bit. I don't understand what is so special about NT's that they deserve to stand there with no offense and no defense after 2 sec just because a trader happened to see them. PvP should not be like that for any profession in any mmorpg. Thats all I gotta say about that.

Against Docs this nano lets the doc heal for a little while until the nanopool is completely drained. But combined with roots the doc cant exactly expect to survive. So its very close to the effect is has on NT's.

Some professions are good versus other professions. And some are bad. This is because some are ranged, some are melee, some have roots, some have borrow reflect, some have absorbs, some have evades. Its a big mix of abilities that clash together in PvP and naturally, some are better vs you than others.

But FC has added a few nemesis nanos lately, especially to traders. Personally I dont like this way of balancing things. If anything, it makes it even more unbalanced. If this is taken to the extreme then PvP as we know it is over. Everyone will have an "I Win" button vs other professions and so even alphas become redundant. And I dont even like the alpha concept to start with.

So what is my conclusion to this whole GTH thing?

1. It can not be less powerful than it is, except against NT's and docs.
    2. It helps traders.
    3. I don't like it vs NT's and docs. It requires no skill to kill a NT or doc with this nano so I just feel cheap after I use it on them. Thats not PvP.
    4. It is a badly designed nano because it helps vs the wrong professions.

If FC intend to keep this nano in the game then they gotta make it removable by Virus Scanners and find some way to make it less powerful vs NT's and maybe docs too. I know FC intended this to be an anti-NT-nano but thats not a trader issue, its not a NT issue, its a FC issue.

If FC decides to remove this nano then they gotta give traders what they always asked for. Better non-situational defense that can allow us to survive after we've been hit by big alphas. So that we dont have to sneak a lot or run away a lot to recover. And update our MAIN and ORIGINAL toolset so that its effective in todays PvP.

And if FC makes the -2000 nano-delta-debuff-part of GTH stop nano delta but not remove nano then GTH will be waaay less powerful and would leave traders needing an even bigger boost than we already need, even now when we have GTH the way it is.

That's all I got to say about that. And looking at the length of this post Id say its enough.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Aug 16th, 2007 at 11:37:44.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    If FC decides to remove this nano then they gotta give traders what they always asked for. Better non-situational defense that can allow us to survive after we've been hit by big alphas. So that we dont have to sneak a lot or run away a lot to recover. And update our MAIN and ORIGINAL toolset so that its effective in todays PvP.

I m signing up for that. This nano isnt fair agaisnt NTs and Docs and doesnt help much agaisnt other profs. Remove it and give what traders have been asking for: Better non-situational defense that can allow us to survive after we've been hit by big alphas.

Nice post Wrangeline as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisrok View Post
    I m signing up for that. This nano isnt fair agaisnt NTs and Docs and doesnt help much agaisnt other profs. Remove it and give what traders have been asking for: Better non-situational defense that can allow us to survive after we've been hit by big alphas.

Nice post Wrangeline as usual.
    Don't think its supposed to be fair.

Yes it sucks to be hit by it, sucks big time. But thats what they want traders to do apparantly. Have one nano for each (or 2) profs which completely destroys them in one way or another.

Borrow reflect for soldiers. (Sure they can just not TMS/AMS, but thats not generally how things turn out)
    This for Docs and NT's.

Few more patches and there'll be a blocker steal/remove nano, maybe even cocoon remover. Just a matter of time apparantly.
    Kzuria (???/??) - Keeper : Last resort.
    Khaer (213/15) - Soldier : Forced Retirement, Hackers can rot in hell. I hope you die.
    Kuthos (220/20) - Martial Artist : Retired

nice post

you make some good points.

WTB a discussion about this topic with some good pros and cons..

*waits*

btw..i'm tending towards agreeing with you.....

Wow, just wow....typical FC sledgehammer tactics. Thats one nasty nano and i think is great that a trader is speaking up about it.

I agree FC seems to be treating traders the wrong way, your getting love but its the wrong kind of love...

/Signed for this to be replaced with what traders really need
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

good try, but FC never change nanos after release. Never! Dunno why =(

FC style after release - new items/game mechanics changing for fixing errors and unbalancing

we have 11-pages thread before release, but changes was minimal and really was not change this nano.

NT now is out of battle prof...
    Last edited by Mavritanic; Aug 16th, 2007 at 12:22:30.
    The Clan Messiah statement
    You hit Nirvelle with nanobots for 7110365 points of radiation damage.
    Alternity: I never initiated a serious dialog

"... who are you, then?"
    "I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good" (c) Goethe

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\| ||\____
    |.............Vodka-Vodka..........| ||','''|'''''''\____,
    |_______..... _________________| ||__|'__|_____||<
    '''''(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''**|(@)(@)******| (@)*

first soldiers lose there defense and now docs/nt's aswell :s *shrughs*..
    Make this just remove the nano regain not make it kill the pool.. Also make borrow reflect % = Ams reflect %. And give traders a real defense not just a nerf other proffesion.. bump
    GoldFish - Riders Of The Lost Org

Well put Wrangeline. Thumbs up.

Bump.

Delete this nano, or nerf it to a 300-500'ish ND drain:
    *effectively stopping nano delta from working + draining a minor amount of nano from target
    *in the same process give traders the nanodelta they'd need to possibly (I dunno) to use their nano absorb shield effectively. Maybe even adjust the shield somewhat (don't make it deplete nano at end, reduce drain during duration, except the drain from damage it absorbs)

Give traders divest/plunder that scales past level 175, I'm thinking nanite x2 atleast.
    Give traders hp drains that scales past level 175.

Or:
    *Atleast give docs a fighting chance to hurt/kill the trader before they land this nano/it drains us completely.
    (No, blaze dot + 2x burst/fling is not a fighting chance, same with 750 dot and 2x as+fling)
    *Some way to fight this nano, through removers.
    Spamming the nano will outdo removers eventually, as with trader dot removers vs doc dots, nsd removers vs nsd, drain removers vs divest/plunder, ubt removers vs ubt. Or maybe even the model of hp/heals vs damage/alpha (where you need to time lots of damage to kill the doc before it heals it back up).
    *Give docs something else than survivability to play with on BS, so we can accept loosing our only toy.
    **Improved epsilon purge
    **Dot a + b versions of the "blaze line" = damage
    **perks that actually land and do damage/debuffs
    **Improved ubt (lock peoples perks/specials, init debuff is ok'ish)
    **Improved wrack and ruin (add massive specials debuff, to stack with ubt?)
    **Nano based aoe heals (like team heals +50% heal power, perhaps longer recharge, good range, effected by heal modi %. Yes we do have BGH heals, but they lock for 10 minutes...)
    *Full def (so we can actually RESIST the nano). 600'ish more nanoinit please
    *Evades in symbs and elsewhere, so actually have some defense if we don't want to go hp monster. (Wouldn't mind a -50% heal modi item, that buffed evades/ar substantially, options ftw).
    *Automated self only BI, costing massive amounts of nano to cast, high requirements, breaks on stuns/nsd/capping, blocking heals from other docs, and breaking on self heal with any SL heal or CH, nano init debuff. And no, don't need all the drawbacks, just suggestions. (I've considered suggesting this about 2 months ago, to make doc pvp less tedious.)
    *Any non-retarded combination of above suggestions.

NT's can fight for their own stuff ofc, since I don't have enough clue about how their day to day situation is.

Nice post Wrangeline (*stops spiking the trader voodoo muppet and hides it behind his back).

Agree with 100% of the post (maybe partially for interested reasons).

:
    Tone down the effects, especially the effect boost on nts, calm it on docs.
    Give goodie to traders to compensate.

Traders have been in the lowest positions pvm and pvp for a while now (since nts and mps (dunno much about mps) got gang lubbed... so heck, some time as top fish wouldn't be unfair... just no one kill buttons, with 1 min consequences + 30 secs pool refill needed.

A 100% reflect for 1-2 secs would be fun. With some luck, could get hit by an alpha or a triple ^^ (I mean if I was going to hit it with 9k dmg... then I get hit by 9k dmg). Should be visible ideally.

In the meanwhile, I'll be buying clan trada accounts, just to be sure not to meet those .
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthos View Post
    Don't think its supposed to be fair.

Yes it sucks to be hit by it, sucks big time. But thats what they want traders to do apparantly. Have one nano for each (or 2) profs which completely destroys them in one way or another.

Borrow reflect for soldiers. (Sure they can just not TMS/AMS, but thats not generally how things turn out)
    This for Docs and NT's.

Few more patches and there'll be a blocker steal/remove nano, maybe even cocoon remover. Just a matter of time apparantly.
    You cannot compare GHT vs NT and Borrow Reflect vs Soldier. Soldier still has full offence after getting hit with BR. NT has no defence nor offence with GTH in NCU...
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    You cannot compare GHT vs NT and Borrow Reflect vs Soldier. Soldier still has full offence after getting hit with BR. NT has no defence nor offence with GTH in NCU...
    And NT cant do anything to stop it from happening. Soldier at least has options.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    And NT cant do anything to stop it from happening. Soldier at least has options.
    Well, NT's have one more option than docs: To kill the trader before nano lands

But yeah, agree

I was ready to flame it, but it's well written. Good job chica.

Nice post

A couple of things I would change about the nano at the very least.

1) Increase the cast/recharge significantly. A nano this powerful needs a VERY long cast and recharge so that casting it can be dangerous to the caster and he will have to make a tactical decision about when to cast it(see Epsilon Purge).

2) Increase the nano resist check. Again, see Epsilon Purge as to how nanos this strong should be handled.
    Youtube
    Twitch

AO
    Rakhabit 220/20 Agent FINALLY
    Halfempty 220/16 Engineer/Evade Negator
    Primatene 168/20 Original Doc Twink

TSW
    Myyah "Read" Hawwa
    Shadow Dominion
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Ober View Post
    Well, NT's have one more option than docs: To kill the trader before nano lands

But yeah, agree
    Yeah, problem is that that's our only hope, and this again will lead to more problems for Traders. Because now soldiers and NTs will have an eye out for traders, and try and gank them asap when they see one. Both have good offense, meaning it's not fun for a trader to be looked after by them, so that may force traders into sneak, then ganking NTs before they're able to kill the traders.

If this nano lands, NTs are nothing but a squishy target practice. We can't do anything, because nano is all we have. NTs actually twink into the biggest pool we can get, and lowest HP, so that we can take 8 capped hits while under Nanobot Shield. And now traders can take that away from us, along with our offense capabilities? Nay, not right.
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth56 View Post
    Yeah, problem is that that's our only hope, and this again will lead to more problems for Traders. Because now soldiers and NTs will have an eye out for traders, and try and gank them asap when they see one. Both have good offense, meaning it's not fun for a trader to be looked after by them, so that may force traders into sneak, then ganking NTs before they're able to kill the traders.

If this nano lands, NTs are nothing but a squishy target practice. We can't do anything, because nano is all we have. NTs actually twink into the biggest pool we can get, and lowest HP, so that we can take 8 capped hits while under Nanobot Shield. And now traders can take that away from us, along with our offense capabilities? Nay, not right.
    Lol, basically we'll end up with 2 leagues of PvP on BS.

Normal people

Profs who traders nerf to oblivion and back vs traders.

PS: And atleast you have hope!

Bravo wrangeline, bravo!

To the people suggesting the nano drain is too high. Without completely rethinking the way this nano works, less nano drain would be pointless to the trader. If it drains nano, but leaves you able to cast at all, why does the trader care? If a doc can still heal, an NT still nuke, a crat still decalm pets, enf still rage out of roots . . . the nano didn't help the trader at all, and he wouldn't bother cast it in the first place.

If the nano merely hinders his target, instead of devastating him, allowing it to be cast on only one target at a time would be ludicrous. As it is, the fact it can't be spammed on the whole other side tones it down significantly from what it could be.

Edit: I do feel bad for the NT. In precisely the same way I felt bad for Soldiers when BR came along, or for all low HP or reflect prof when double/triple came out. Does an NT with triple devastate me? Hell yes. Why should I have a reason to say "****, an NT - better run or kill him quick" while the NT says "Yawn . . . oh how cute, a trader. I'll kill him when I get a moment in my busy social calander?"
    Last edited by sobeguy; Aug 16th, 2007 at 15:08:04.
    Slimsobe retired 220 opifex trader General of New Movement
    Oneeyedjim 175 nanomage crat

"You will never understand bureaucracies until you understand that for bureaucrats procedure is everything and outcomes are nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by sobeguy View Post

Why should I have a reason to say "****, an NT - better run or kill him quick" while the NT says "Yawn . . . oh how cute, a trader. I'll kill him when I get a moment in my busy social calander?"
    Why should I have a reason to say "****, a Trader - better run or kill him quick" while the trader says "Yawn...oh how cute, a doctor. I'll drain his nano in 4 seconds and kill him while he stands there helpless. It's not like it matters how many tries it takes to land GTH on him because even when they fix the recharge to 1.5 I can still spam it until it lands which will be far far sooner than the doc can do any serious damage to me."
    Youtube
    Twitch

AO
    Rakhabit 220/20 Agent FINALLY
    Halfempty 220/16 Engineer/Evade Negator
    Primatene 168/20 Original Doc Twink

TSW
    Myyah "Read" Hawwa
    Shadow Dominion
    Cerberus

Bump this, a proper fix to the trader profession please.

Also please please please please put some tl7 reqs on the new stuff.
    BarginDealer The Trader
    Moretea The Enforcer
    Bahba The Adventurer
    Lesstea The Shade

General Knights of Ka

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast