Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Downtime's A' Comin' Thread

Feret on crack - 10 mac pluses networked

it's about the same isn't it?
    Some People are like Slinkies.....Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Budurca "Cascanueces" Rave - 220/21 Opifex Fixer
    Lady "Irkalla" Bonita - 150/8 Solitus Enforcer
    Ilove "Kicksgirl" Andrei - 132/2 Solitus Adventurer
    Kickenfs "Damona" Badgirl - 112/4 Opifex Doctor

Azar: LOL Do you take this woman to be your bride? .....Kickenf went linkdead

Quote Originally Posted by Damona View Post
    Feret on crack - 10 mac pluses networked

it's about the same isn't it?
    Depends on how many ferets we are talking about. Would take a whole contry of mac pluses to = 1 feret

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    just curious.. how is it a security issue if they tell us what hardware it is on?
    As long as they run a securable OS then it shouldnt matter what the hardware is. actually shouldnt matter anyway. Im a geek and proud of it, so tell us what your hardware is FC!! after all you'll just end up nerfing whatever I just started playing for a new profession like every other patch lol.
    If they identified the hardware, even just that could be a security concern because key components like routers, switches and firewalls may in the future reveal some firmware flaws that's not known now. That would enable hackers to use that flaw to bypass the security measures for that hardware. Anyone counted how many patches and updates Cisco and lots of other brands have issued for their firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanx View Post
    intel, i wouldnt see it as a security reason not to show us info on hardware. I ccl at what software they are packing(and normally they wont tell you that, cause thats where the security issue pops up), i just wanna see what they are running these new servers with.
    What software they actually run on the servers would of course be a big security issue should it be known to the public. All kinds of unpatched security holes in that software could be abused then, if they got through the hardware security measures mentioned above.

Quite another thing that would be totally harmless would be to give us some photos of the open, empty cases so we could have a "fashion show"...

Quote Originally Posted by Quise View Post
    Depends on how many ferets we are talking about. Would take a whole contry of mac pluses to = 1 feret
    I'm still hoping for quantum hamsters.... maybe a 'borged out possum and 2 highly trained ninja squirrels for firewalls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Ranged professions enjoy a significant advantage everywhere and more so against pet professions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Note: Calling me an "incompetant ass-monkey", while admitedly is extremely amusing, does nothing to quantify what exactly, if anything, you would like to see changed in your/someone else's nanos.

Hamsters with laddered implants and Shadowform

Edit: I mean Shadowbreed. I never got high enough to get one of those.
    Last edited by intelknight; Aug 8th, 2007 at 18:57:56.

Come on!! whats the status of the servers, how are they looking already, tell us plxplxplx

(sorry but im soo adicted.. maybe ill put Quake4 back on my PC and play through story mode and see if when im done AO is back up..)

Quote Originally Posted by Lupe View Post
    If they identified the hardware, even just that could be a security concern because key components like routers, switches and firewalls may in the future reveal some firmware flaws that's not known now. That would enable hackers to use that flaw to bypass the security measures for that hardware. Anyone counted how many patches and updates Cisco and lots of other brands have issued for their firmware?

What software they actually run on the servers would of course be a big security issue should it be known to the public. All kinds of unpatched security holes in that software could be abused then, if they got through the hardware security measures mentioned above.

Quite another thing that would be totally harmless would be to give us some photos of the open, empty cases so we could have a "fashion show"...

Actually, if they just tell us the hardware and keep out the firewall part and that kind of stuff, just tell us what's making it run, no security concern. I'll take that 1 bil bet and bump it up to 5.

Actually, there are numerous situations where letting the world know the make and model of a server equals letting them know what OS they run. Completely hypothetically if their server setup included a Sun Fire V240 (or several) we'd know it runs Solaris and most likely Solaris 10.

If you've ever copy&pasted or mistyped an invalid URL for this forum you'll have noticed that the "404 Not Found" error message is quite minimal, it reveals nothing about the web server configuration or harware it runs on. That's quite intentional.

In conclusion I do not expect to hear what the new hardware is. Then again, maybe they have chosen stuff that can be photographed without revealing too much detail to battle the image suggestions we have seen here
    /born Porter was born on Thu Jun 28 09:19:52 2001.
    I'm a Porter, Porters don't PVP.
    First Light

Can't comment on the new hardware.

By way of an update:

-We're currently on-schedule

-The migration has gone well

-The servers and everything are up (internally) and we're currently testing everything internally

So, everything looks good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by porter View Post
    In conclusion I do not expect to hear what the new hardware is. Then again, maybe they have chosen stuff that can be photographed without revealing too much detail to battle the image suggestions we have seen here
    Silirrion went 1 step further and posted a generic description of the hardware upgrade in the thread in the 17.5 section of this forum. Page 2 of "Hardware info".

Good to hear the upgrade seems to be on schedule
    Last edited by porter; Aug 8th, 2007 at 09:45:37.
    /born Porter was born on Thu Jun 28 09:19:52 2001.
    I'm a Porter, Porters don't PVP.
    First Light

Quote Originally Posted by Farlath View Post
    I'm still hoping for quantum hamsters.... maybe a 'borged out possum and 2 highly trained ninja squirrels for firewalls.
    Hahahaha this is what im getting on my next upgrade
    Rolfor 220/26/70 Nanomage Doctor [Setup] No task too hard - no compromise - updated
    Rolfolol 220/28/70 Atrox Keeper [PvP Setup] [PvM DD Setup] - updated
    Ralfxore 165/22/42 Opifish Fixer [Setup]
    - updated
    Rolflol 216/15/34 Atrox Nano Technician
    Peon of SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    I dont discriminate, i hate everyone equally much.
    War.
    War never changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharamond View Post

-The servers and everything are up (internally) and we're currently testing everything internally

Translation:

-This is going to take longer than we thought
    -We lost your phatz
    -We can't find the damn power button

The set up looks great, but we're shi**in' bricks.
    Some People are like Slinkies.....Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Budurca "Cascanueces" Rave - 220/21 Opifex Fixer
    Lady "Irkalla" Bonita - 150/8 Solitus Enforcer
    Ilove "Kicksgirl" Andrei - 132/2 Solitus Adventurer
    Kickenfs "Damona" Badgirl - 112/4 Opifex Doctor

Azar: LOL Do you take this woman to be your bride? .....Kickenf went linkdead

do we get some kind of compensation (as paying players) for all these downtimes?

i heard silkroad online gives an xp boost or larger cred "drop" on killed monsters for like 3-4 days or so, and some other games might do too

edit: ps: i'm sure a free burden would please people alot ;p
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharamond View Post
    Can't comment on the new hardware.

By way of an update:

Hey now, don´t jinx it!!
    Sometimes when I'm hungry.......I eat my own face!

Smile

well I hope they get it back by the scheduled time I'm already having AO withdrawls

and they would not use a mac..setup because this game is not mac friendly..

Most servers are gonna be that ((,slow,crappy)) intel processors because intel seems to handle data processing faster where as AMD handles gaming processing better.

And PBF I'd just be happy to get my game back and running better with less lag

Test was up but ya can't talk there.. was weird no pm's no vicinity chat just silent people.
    Last edited by Alwards; Aug 8th, 2007 at 15:21:55.

Well since I am out of things to do (or definitely don't want to do what there still is) Testserver keeps my withdrawl at bay at least

:: though atm it is preparing data forever it seems - no login
    Last edited by Leetpetite; Aug 8th, 2007 at 16:30:21.

ahh somebody whining for downtime compensation....was wondering when that would start

Good job FC, I guess I'll spend another night with the missus (that's TWICE in two days!!).

omg! i just logged in and had/saw the following:
    • 1 billion credats on all my toons,
    • all my toons were dinged to 220 with full research
    • my banks were full of phatz
    • i had a hoverboard, bike and obsidian yalm
    • the clams all turned neut
    • omni had 100% side xp (neuts were all sleeping in newland)
    • nothing was camped
    • the economy was restored
    • hecks and nt's were removed from the game
    • there was no lag
    • s10 and totw were trainless

*smack-smack...rubs eyes, stretches, yawns and comes to after a deep sleep....oh well, we can always dream

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast