Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Downtime's A' Comin' Thread

Yeah ... would be interesting to know what kind of hardware you're packing ... Always wondered how much is needed to run a mmo game.

Better yet ... give us a picture of the server running Pandemonium
    SC of Kvestakolal - Join us if you can spell it correctly
    * Mechanuf - 220 Multi-Purpose Combat Engineer
    * Hormonuf - 220 Healmonkey
    * Hackuf - 217 Phix
    * ... loads of other *ufs and *nufs

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanuf View Post
    ...snip...
    Better yet ... give us a picture of the server running Pandemonium
    ZX maybe???
    Wiki
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

That must be the Camelot server

Talking new server pics...

Just guessing, but based on the tech buzz I have seen on the net, FC will be using one of the following server configurations:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...serverset1.jpg

or

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...serverset2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Any chance of some specifics about the eqipment you're installing?

What type and amount of servers, processors, memory, harddrives, network, hamsters/gazelles and whatever you're installing???

Tech freak here, and very curious too...
    A bank of 3x286 Machines with 2x386 Machines running on DR DOS operating systems.

My parents still own (and I believe it still works) a ZX81 complete with 16k RAM pack :P :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nuked View Post
    http://www.valachnet.cz/lvanek/old_story/computer_s.JPG

first pic of the new server FC are going to be running!
    That's my home PC thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Jornado View Post
    Just guessing, but based on the tech buzz I have seen on the net, FC will be using one of the following server configurations:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...serverset1.jpg
    Good god, I almost lost my lunch when I saw that. Thanks for the out loud laugh. Now my neighbor knows I'm crazy and doesn't just think I am anymore.

Bump for info ... what are you guys packing?
    SC of Kvestakolal - Join us if you can spell it correctly
    * Mechanuf - 220 Multi-Purpose Combat Engineer
    * Hormonuf - 220 Healmonkey
    * Hackuf - 217 Phix
    * ... loads of other *ufs and *nufs

bump for well.. a bump.. hows the server change-ness looking so far? any chance it wont last 48 hours? im addicted!!!

ok im gonna go raid the fridge now. Hopefully i can score some phatz i hear they bumped up the drop rate on soda at my fridge when they went to the store the other day.

Quantum hamsters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Ranged professions enjoy a significant advantage everywhere and more so against pet professions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Note: Calling me an "incompetant ass-monkey", while admitedly is extremely amusing, does nothing to quantify what exactly, if anything, you would like to see changed in your/someone else's nanos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanuf View Post
    Yeah ... would be interesting to know what kind of hardware you're packing ... Always wondered how much is needed to run a mmo game.
    They will not tell b/c of security concerns.

My guess for a for a character database server, it would be regular CPU, but huge RAM and extra-fast HDD.
    It is really just a list of player levels, skills, experience, inventory, etc.
    And the software that registers changes to all of those, which has to happen fast b/c there are lots of changes coming in.

For playfield server it prolly is the biggest baddest CPU they can have (3GHzQuad-core AMD), a bit of RAM (512Mb maybe) and little-to-none HDD space. B/c playfield server only needs to keep track of positions and actions of a couple hundred mobs and maybe 100 players, but it needs to do a lot of processing.
    - receive player action (player ZZZ uses XXX on mob YYY)
    - draw a random number & determine whether XXX landed and how much damage it did
    - send the "battle spam" message back to ZZZ
    - record changes to ZZZ's nanopool and YYY's HP
    - run AI algorithm for YYY's actions (attack ZZZ or run, weapon/nano to use, etc.)
    - compute pathing of YYY to ZZZ
    - send changes to ZZZ's experience and inventory to character database server
    - start the timer for YYY's respawn
    Last edited by intelknight; Aug 7th, 2007 at 20:02:58.

just curious.. how is it a security issue if they tell us what hardware it is on?
    As long as they run a securable OS then it shouldnt matter what the hardware is. actually shouldnt matter anyway. Im a geek and proud of it, so tell us what your hardware is FC!! after all you'll just end up nerfing whatever I just started playing for a new profession like every other patch lol.

Devnulled

Quote Originally Posted by Farlath View Post
    Quantum hamsters?
    Ferets on crack
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmrabe View Post
    FUNCOM doesn't know S!!T about lazy and apathetic!

I'll SHOW YOU lazy and apathetic...

Tomorrow... if I feel like it.

If there will be any problems (read even more extended downtime) and at same time forums are down, how does FC intend to notify playerbase?
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

Quote Originally Posted by Trgeorge View Post
    If there will be any problems (read even more extended downtime) and at same time forums are down, how does FC intend to notify playerbase?
    What kind of question is that? They will drive to each customer for a personal verbal update of course

Either way, as a returning player I'm really glad to see some action from FC (even if it means 2 days downtime). After returning after almost a year a lot of issues have been adressed and there is a ton more to do. Not to mention the upcoming new vehicles and new graphics engine.

Keep up the good work!

Surfs.
    Yesterday is history,tomorrow is a mystery but today is a gift: that's why they call it 'Present'!.

intel, i wouldnt see it as a security reason not to show us info on hardware. I ccl at what software they are packing(and normally they wont tell you that, cause thats where the security issue pops up), i just wanna see what they are running these new servers with.
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by intelknight View Post
    For playfield server it prolly is the biggest baddest CPU they can have (3GHzQuad-core AMD), a bit of RAM (512Mb maybe) and little-to-none HDD space.
    ;__;
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Server Config

Quote Originally Posted by Burningsmell View Post
    Ferets on crack
    10 Mac Pluses networked. I'm sure of it.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast