Thread: The Official Downtime's A' Comin' Thread

that fingerinhead picture = wow... i like your caption, and you're probably right. i'm sure the guy's the center of attention at parties. i can bend my hands(fingers) all the way back without bending them with my other hand/objects ^^ and i got attention (feels special )

-_-

wtb ao before fiance, her sister-in-law, her neice, her nehpew, and two neighbor girls, come swimming at house
    Nyoestro
    216/14 Martial Artist
    http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=77819

Nyofixo
    161/12 Fixer
    http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=78061

WTB - HH@B, Help getting a Dreadloch Shen Stick (or Blades of Boltar)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyoestro View Post
    that fingerinhead picture = wow... i like your caption, and you're probably right. i'm sure the guy's the center of attention at parties. i can bend my hands(fingers) all the way back without bending them with my other hand/objects ^^ and i got attention (feels special )

-_-

wtb ao before fiance, her sister-in-law, her neice, her nehpew, and two neighbor girls, come swimming at house
    any of em single lol j/k

Quote Originally Posted by besheba View Post
    It would be better if you at least offered an attempt to qualify your statement......

I will give you a start on how to do so

Besheba's post was just as dumb the second time around, BECAUSE (enter reasoning here)
    That would require a lot more waisted time on your dumb comment when reading it was a big enough waist of time. You compared FC switching servers to people getting shot at while making a bridge...Lets just throw a couple things out there. The dudes making the bridge...their life depended on speed lets say. FC switching servers? As long as its done right, they couldn't care less on how long it takes as long as people still pay for this game. (And they will) Or how bout this...Amish building a house...throwing four walls togather with a group of people...almost as techincal as switching game servers (I wont even begin to try and sound like I know anything about the computer world).

To put it simply...stfu and stop crying. You can get back to shooting your fake bullets or throwing your pretend lightning bolts and the little cartoon rats as soon as FC says they don't need any more time. I want to play too...but the fact remains they NEEDED 60 hours of downtime. If it was because they all got drunk and fell asleep or because they ran into a mass problem, that if they let pass would of sent your credit card info to 500,000 its how much time they NEEDED and how much time they are entitled too. If you don't like it...the cancel account page still works. Stop sending them your money.
    I don't play this game anymore.

Prez is about to speak this should keep me busy for a few minutes /afk

Quote Originally Posted by Merko View Post
    -

any other folks; go out with your friends.. the time goes alot faster then!

*Going out in the sun,,*
    Going out in the sun increases the chance of getting cancer

o.O ok I just read the 10 pages posted since I went to work and all I can say is amazing people complaining and whining.. its just a game.. yes I miss playing.. yes I wish it was back but its not.. is your whining gonna make it go faster? NO!
    Go outside, go see a movie, do something.. come play CS:s with me and my friends :P just quit whining and let the funcom guys get it done and back stable so maybe just maybe we'll lag less. Whats most shocking is out of those 10 pages maybe 5 posts where important enough to read twice. Anyway love ya anyways.. bye :P I'm a paid member by the way and I really don't care about compensation.. as long as it runs better when its back its worth the wait. I was kinda getting tired of running thru a city and lagging into walls :P
    Main Role Play Toons
    ------------------------------
    Agentrose-Rose Alward-Agent
    Abbagail Parsil--Rose's daughter
    Jasminum-Jasmine Linglaya
    Jadedj- Jaden Linglaya-
    Laylana-Doctor-Corporal of Omni-Pol and DJ
    Opangel-engie-Corporal of Omni-Pol
    http://omnipol.sytes.net/join.php

Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    1) acctual hardware weighs a LOT more than some planks, not to mention that they have to remove the OLD hardware as well. Bridge and barn had a previously cleared area.
    2) Change of server HARDWARE is one task
    3) Then comes getting OLD SOFTWARE (yes, in technical terms AO is a patchwork of old and new software)
    4) Getting OLD software to work on NEW hardware is one of the most killing tasks done ever.
    5) Multiple servers must be checked, checked and then duoble and tripplechecked.
    6) Check that they also work after a reboot. I know endusersystems start fast nowadays, but database servers may use a LONG time doing that.
    ok - unmounting old hardware, unpacking the new servers, mounting them in a rack and *then* installing software and data to see if they're running.

if thats the way it's done overseas i now understand the 60+ hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Alwards View Post
    o.O ok I just read the 10 pages posted since I went to work and all I can say is amazing people complaining and whining.. its just a game.. yes I miss playing.. yes I wish it was back but its not.. is your whining gonna make it go faster? NO!
    Go outside, go see a movie, do something.. come play CS:s with me and my friends :P just quit whining and let the funcom guys get it done and back stable so maybe just maybe we'll lag less. Whats most shocking is out of those 10 pages maybe 5 posts where important enough to read twice. Anyway love ya anyways.. bye :P I'm a paid member by the way and I really don't care about compensation.. as long as it runs better when its back its worth the wait. I was kinda getting tired of running thru a city and lagging into walls :P
    The world wouldnt have the acheivements it has if the people in it never had the pressure to work harder :]

Quote Originally Posted by Talien View Post
    That would require a lot more waisted time on your dumb comment when reading it was a big enough waist of time. You compared FC switching servers to people getting shot at while making a bridge...Lets just throw a couple things out there. The dudes making the bridge...their life depended on speed lets say. FC switching servers? As long as its done right, they couldn't care less on how long it takes as long as people still pay for this game. (And they will) Or how bout this...Amish building a house...throwing four walls togather with a group of people...almost as techincal as switching game servers (I wont even begin to try and sound like I know anything about the computer world).

To put it simply...stfu and stop crying. You can get back to shooting your fake bullets or throwing your pretend lightning bolts and the little cartoon rats as soon as FC says they don't need any more time. I want to play too...but the fact remains they NEEDED 60 hours of downtime. If it was because they all got drunk and fell asleep or because they ran into a mass problem, that if they let pass would of sent your credit card info to 500,000 its how much time they NEEDED and how much time they are entitled too. If you don't like it...the cancel account page still works. Stop sending them your money.

To summarise your post, you are stating:

1) Since life and death are not involved, neither should there be a sense of urgency on FC's account.

2) FC can treat us anyway they want because people will still play.

3) All of this is ok with you.

and I am concluding based on your apearant hostility towards me, that anyone who has somthing to say in frustration about the new world record for downtime in an MMO should in your words :

...stfu and stop crying.
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

1) Since life and death are not involved, neither should there be a sense of urgency on FC's account.

and I am concluding based on your apearant hostility towards me, that anyone who has somthing to say in frustration about the new world record for downtime in an MMO should in your words :

...stfu and stop crying.
    lol you just got knocked the F#$% out

lol you think this is a new world record for mmo downtime, at this point its not even fc's longest downtime.....if your looking for something interesting to do, go stick your carkeys in the power outlet

Quote Originally Posted by alder View Post
    ok - unmounting old hardware, unpacking the new servers, mounting them in a rack and *then* installing software and data to see if they're running.

if thats the way it's done overseas i now understand the 60+ hrs
    Amen alder. Heck, they had the test server up on the new hardware, didn't they? I thought for sure that meant they were doing it the right way, and had the new setup already built out and as configured as it could be.

However, Sil's own post contains this:

(like our GM support tools, billing system, actual production servers, database servers, let alone the actual physical moves, cabling, cooling, power and other purely logistical issues)

... so he may be right. They may ACTUALLY be physically tearing down the old install and putting the new one up in its place. I can only assume this is due to like.. insane space problems or serious money issues. I almost can't accept those as a good reason for this. But their guy is claiming they're moving stuff around, doing cabling, messing with cooling and power.. as if these things couldn't have been done beforehand. And the only reason they couldn't would be if they were having to physically put the new hardware where the old was.

That's just.. insanity. Still. If it is indeed what you have done, FC, I feel for your techs and suggest you give them hardcore vacation when this is over.

And if it isn't - what the heck is Sil doing talking about all those things that should have been 100% taken care of before ever shutting down the old farm?

...stfu and stop crying.
    To summarise myself...

1) I said FC doesn't have to have a sense of urgency

2) FC can treat us however they want as long as people still pay.

3) I am ok with the 60 hour downtime.

You can conclude through my apearant hostility torward you, that you made, in my opinion, a rediculous comparison to two things completly on different sides of the fence. And yes, those that feel the need to vent their frustrations about not being able to play a game because the owner of the game is fixing it...needs to stfu and stop crying.

ok how about this for some of you who like to go zomg they've had 48hrs, they dont actually work 24hrs a day its not like they spend all there time at work in 48hrs they may work 24-36hrs.

So stop bitching about 48hrs and get real, people cant work for 48hrs non stop xferin the servers. The will have gone into work this morning seen the problem hence why they informed us that the servers will be down for 12hrs more thats as soon as they could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghozt View Post
    lol you just got knocked the F#$% out
    yawn

Quote Originally Posted by pharmguy View Post
    ok how about this for some of you who like to go zomg they've had 48hrs, they dont actually work 24hrs a day its not like they spend all there time at work in 48hrs they may work 24-36hrs.

So stop bitching about 48hrs and get real, people cant work for 48hrs non stop xferin the servers. The will have gone into work this morning seen the problem hence why they informed us that the servers will be down for 12hrs more thats as soon as they could do it.
    I have. I went 3 days without sleep. My boss's boss's boss, the VP of Operations, was on site the whole time (he did nap a few times), watching what we were doing, asking questions when he could, and kept the forums up to date with technical information on what was going on.

By the way, it involved a real fire. Like, burning. Then getting new hardware that had to be airshipped in. That is the only reason it took 3 days at all.

I received a bonus and some nice stuff for it, but I didn't even think about that at the time. It was my job to keep the servers up and they were not up. I did what was necessary. I expect the same from others.
    Last edited by Nex7; Aug 9th, 2007 at 15:55:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Talien View Post
    yawn
    roflmao BTW NT's are gooooood

after reading through this thread, ive changed my opinion about AoC's M rating....its a good idea if it helps keep the kiddies out xD

-_- jeez people

if funcom's idea was to turn their game (or in this case, forum) into anarchy then it's certainly working. all of you are sitting here griping at eachother

why don't i just gripe at you

funcom, you should please hurry up with the issue and shut me and all the other people in this forum up

ao players, i'm just as frustrated as you are. i pay for this game by money i earn from repairing friends' and family's computers, i have to listen to bipolar parents and a bipolar brother daily, i have to deal with the crying from a 13 year old handicapped little sister. and my fiance has to babysit and take care of both her her family and neighbors, and i'm with her daily.

i'm sick and tired of not having something to go to while ao is down.... i understand 1000000% that MMORPG's, or any online games for that matter, have updates / maintenance.

but i'm on a brand new dell laptop, not designed for gaming. i don't have the current luxury of going back to play Counter-Strike: Source, or whatever.

i just want my AO.
    Nyoestro
    216/14 Martial Artist
    http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=77819

Nyofixo
    161/12 Fixer
    http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=78061

WTB - HH@B, Help getting a Dreadloch Shen Stick (or Blades of Boltar)

The forums for Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, and Dreamfall/TLJ may also experience some sporadic downtime, and the game websites may also be affected.

AOC is down before its out is this a sign :]

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast