Thread: Freelance: Leets: A trendy pet, or a nuisance?

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Freelance: Leets: A trendy pet, or a nuisance?

Leets: A trendy pet, or a nuisance?
    July 19, 29481 - Mollie "Rielyn" Slomonski [Atlantean]

IRRK Freelance - For many years Leets have been regarded as pests by the populace of Rubi-Ka, only a few inhabitants would even consider keeping one as a loyal companion, or in other words, a pet. Since late 29478 more and more local of ‘Ka have been keeping these small creatures as house pets, and in many cases dressing them up. Even a small robotics company RUR, obtained the copyrights to the ‘Leet Bot’, a mechanical pet variant of the Leet without the shedding, feeding, or house breaking that comes with a live Leet.

This craze has slowly spread throughout the ‘verse, various holo-vid, and other celebrities have been seen making débuts with this lovable critter, underarm, or on a leash. The adorable appearance, and basic quasi-intelligent chatter of the Leet, is no doubt at the root of this fad. Many concerned parents, however, do not wish to have this particular rodent near their children. They are worried that, the quality of language coming from the Leet may influence their children, teaching them some rather unsavoury words, phrases, and to belittle other children.

Leets have also been noted to tease and taunt younger children for their lack in motor skills, speech, and as they call it “phats”. Leet lovers claim that the Leet is just playing a game, with the child, and is trying to make friends with them. They also quickly dismiss claims of Leets attacking children that posses shiny or glowing objects.

Last week, authorities put down a pet Leet after it attacked and bit a young boy several times. The child’s parents said that the Leet was going on about “blind procs” and “twinking mods” while biting the boy’s nose and apparently attempting to claw his braces out of his mouth. The boy’s neighbours stated that the boy was provoking the Leet by pointing and laughing at it, for not having its own cosmetic dental work.

While the Leet population still thrives on Rubi-Ka, despite the legal, and illegal shipping of live cargo, it’s still undecided if Leet is a suitable companion for a child, or at least what a definitive age for the child would be.

1337 Ftw!

Ive never had a bad experiance with leets, other than begging for phatz on noob island :P

I think theyre awsome, all hail the leets!

(Seriously its like our Version of the wookie :P)

am afraid that one on lojtor's leets may slip away and reach some unsuspecting school and tear the children apart, with no reclaim off rk , it may be a big problem.

i arge OT to stop the shipments of leets and check every cargo ship going out.
    couple of blown clan ships r better than what will happen if the leets get out

Fear the Were-leet. Rawr.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

R.I.P. That leet!

He's chasin' kids with the angels now =)
    Looking good is nine tenths of the fight.

The RUR Leetbot makes a much, much better pet than the real thing! Powered by a 1 RD QPT processor, Fussitronics “Little beggar” simulator, 9 valve Rimsky-Korsakov redundant servo engine and a Joo-prologic device it is a marvel of modern technology. All the fun of a real leet and no mess.

Dabblez
    Rubi-Ka Universal Robots
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Leets make really good pets, they are loyal, friendly and always chirpy, not only that, they taste great, baked, fried or stewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dabblez View Post
    All the fun of a real leet and no mess.
    so you finally admit you made killer leet bots, that attack children & hide the corpses eh...
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

Nothing beats a Leet!

That kid prolly had it coming to him, in my opinion it should have been him who got put down for leet-baiting
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Yeah, people, who have either pets or kids, should train either one to behave properly..

However, accidents will happen and for my money once an animal has learned that attacking people is easy, that animal needs putting down. Harsh, yes. But necessary to ensure as safe a society as possible.
    People > pets.
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Marinesold View Post

(Seriously its like our Version of the wookie :P)
    (NO.... The Ewok... Pygmy wookie that can talk)

I spent time training my pet dog, but now he is one of the most obedient pets you could possibly have. Sure, he likes to hump trees every now and again and sometimes randomly stands still in a confused state, with a sorry look in his eyes, almost saying "im stuck", but apart from those problems i couldnt ask for anything more.

Leet pet? Pfft, no thanks, they hide too well.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Today at 18:32:45.. Reason: constantly mistyping someone else's name in an attempt to belittle them in harassment

Leets should not be kept as pets if you are not fully aware of their moods and social behavior. There have been reports of their nose being the main tool of communication beside speech. Interpreting the nose treatment can be difficult. Some claim that the wake-up treatment is very similar to both "shall we make out" and "is it dead yet". Caution should also be observed when the leet is exposed to flash photography. There's at least one report of this that can be found in gridspace about this.

I doubt children have made extensive research on leet communication, so the occasional attacks on children can be understandable, but not acceptable.

Leets can be fierce opponents in a fight, as they bite hard and have sharp teeth. This alone should deter people from having them as pets, since you never know when a leet may see an action as an attack.

In short: Don't have a leet as pet, if you don't have exact and extensive knowledge of their moods and what the meaning of the different nose treatment actions mean. The owner should also be well capable of defending himself or herself against any hostile actions from the leet. Failing to do that might spell disaster and a quick way to end up in reclaim.

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: IRRK View Post
    Leets: A trendy pet, or a nuisance?
    July 19, 29481 - Mollie "Rielyn" Slomonski [Atlantean]
    Even a small robotics company RUR, obtained the copyrights to the ‘Leet Bot’, a mechanical pet variant of the Leet without the shedding, feeding, or house breaking that comes with a live Leet.
    Is it me, or is IRRK here saying that something RUR has made hasn't broken a house...yet?! Yikes!
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

get your facts straight...

Dabblez herself said the only thing the bots can become are killer leet bots. i know cause they talked about sending some after me
    Never knock on death's door, always ring the bell and run. Death really hates that.

I don''t keep them as pets, my daddy liked them however..."yum leetpie" as he said