Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director

Firstly, Kudos to FC for being willing to experiment with new ideas and think outside the box a little. For me personally, hover boards and jet bikes aren't worth playing for, but the actually engine behind it has some brilliant possibilities for extra content.

Beware the danger of having credit card driven toons that encourage those with the bigger bank balances to be too much superior to those without.

I actually have an idea I've been rolling around, and with the announcement of new database engines etc maybe it could become a reality. It involves an expansion of the ARK program, and would fill a frustrating gap in their ability to help people.

In essence, its a Knowledge Base. One of the frustrating issues I have with AO is the length of time it can take to find information, added to the long playtime it takes to achieve various results within the game. Ask an ARK a question about game mechanics and you'll quickly learn that yur question would be a "spoiler" and your directed to investigate the forums etc to weed out your required answer (if it exists).

As the information is most likely here anyway, it wouldn't be that big an effort to have a small team monitoring the forums and entering the base info in a cross referenced library. Ask an ARK, they enter the search terms and can post you a link to the thread(s) that have the info you need. This would be a great tool for helping newbies get upto speed quicker, eliminate much of the frustration of trying to find info amongst all the WTB/WTS/Nerf This posts you inevitably get when searching here, and also improve the ARK's reputation as true game help officers.

Obviously the initial setup would be time consuming, but I believe if your investing in the future of a game then customer support HAS to be included.

While you're at it, lets have a look at the spawn mechanics for some of the RK uniques. While 6 years ago the player base may have been well served by 18 hour spawns, timer camping these uniques kinda spoils it for those who suddenly find a need for an item, and I'm guessing the number of these items available isn't really proportional to the player base anymore. A faster random spawn (for example TK's 20% every 20mins spawn, although those numbers are not suitable for every unique) would give people a fair chance to acquire items without being held to ransom by spawn campers.

Wow, the amount of people posting without actually reading what Sil is saying amazes me...

People, SOCIAL ITEMS ONLY, thats what FC are selling. That and access to new areas where u have to camp and raid like everyone else, sheesh...

/rant off
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Unhappy

Excellent marketing method, give cool "pixels" in return of rl money. Trying to recollect now which game you had to pay $2.50 for a very exclusively colored armor which didnt give much more protection then the usual ones

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsranger View Post
    ....Beware the danger of having credit card driven toons that encourage those with the bigger bank balances to be too much superior to those without......
    Silirrion has already answered this 3 times as well as said it in his letter. I'm not sure how more clear he can put it ><.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    There are no plans to sell anything that would have an active effect on serious gameplay, the items that we would offer through the points system will be the pre-orders and social items. Like all the existing pre-order campaign items, and also things like pre-made 'sets' of say the social clothing introduced in AI. So it won't remove the in-game means of getting those items, just offer an extra service for those who would rather just purchase them.

So you won't see anything that would effect game play specifically, that's something we are very conscious of, and like I said in the letter above, this is about doing it properly and fairly.
    DJ Meenstreek
    The Goodness on Tuesdays @ 8pmEST
    Top40 Rock & Alternative

GridStream Productions
    "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is a
    floccinaucinihilipilificated word." -cgl

Can we pay for profession balance as well? Cause that would be awesome!
    Eluisa, 220 Doctor of Dewm!
    Cherries, 220 Shade of Bewbs!
    Lidan 190 Martial Artist of Nano!
    Mefesto, 183 Enforcer of Flab!
    Catti, 163 Crat of Hecknoob!

General of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Eluisa View Post
    sorry no Deities on Funcom's payroll
    Only through the exercise of free will can the soul grow; only through courage in the face of temptation and pain can the spirit soar.

So now I'm gonna have to pay to be able to go on these new raid areas and new items? What was the point of veterans items? Or Ofab vendors then? Why not remove those too and sell us armor and weapons for real world money?

I understand that AO's 6th birthday is this week, well way to give yourselves the proverbial blow job.

This will most likely be the final nail in the coffin for AO, I hate to say it, a lot of us can't stretch like this to pay for more content, make it VP, make it credz, money>time for most of us. What your doing now is just getting greedier and milking what little is left of your player base and forcing them to quit due to financial issues.

Is 15$ a month not enough? I pay 100.00$ a yearly subscription personally, 2 accounts, but not anymore, not if every new patch that comes out has a price tag, forget it, I'm just not renewing come December.

Name one successful game where all professions are balanced.....there are always going to be problems. The first flaw is humans aren't perfect. So with that said, how do you expect humans to create a completely balanced game with 13 professions such as AO.
    DJ Meenstreek
    Top40 Rock & Alternative

GridStream Productions

Quote Originally Posted by itis View Post
    Excellent marketing method, give cool "pixels" in return of rl money. Trying to recollect now which game you had to pay $2.50 for a very exclusively colored armor which didnt give much more protection then the usual ones
    removed flame... just read, please.

Quote Originally Posted by silirrion
    There are no plans to sell anything that would have an active effect on serious gameplay, the items that we would offer through the points system will be the pre-orders and social items. Like all the existing pre-order campaign items, and also things like pre-made 'sets' of say the social clothing introduced in AI. So it won't remove the in-game means of getting those items, just offer an extra service for those who would rather just purchase them.

So you won't see anything that would effect game play specifically, that's something we are very conscious of, and like I said in the letter above, this is about doing it properly and fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by meenstreek View Post
    Name one successful game where all professions are balanced.....there are always going to be problems. The first flaw is humans aren't perfect. So with that said, how do you expect humans to create a completely balanced game with 13 professions such as AO.
    Everquest 1 ;p

They did a spot on job on that, everyone had their role.

And anyone has a fair chance vs another prof in pvp.

So any questions?

General of Paradise

Do you people HONESTLY think Funcom needs the extra money from us?

http://www.dmwmedia.com/tags/funcom

read.

I really wish people would read the whole thread before posting.....

Quote Originally Posted by Armadyl View Post
    So now I'm gonna have to pay to be able to go on these new raid areas and new items? What was the point of veterans items? Or Ofab vendors then? Why not remove those too and sell us armor and weapons for real world money?
    Easily answered with this:
    As I said earlier in the thread, there aren't any plans to include any items that would have any significant effect on game play in that way. We are very conscious of people's thoughts and concerns there. The new system will be for the types of social 'cool and fun' items that are optional for players. The comparison to the veterans items is a good one, we won't be offering new weapons or armor or anything like that for direct sale.

Of course, as also mentioned above any boosters that are playfield packs will of course have loot, but like an expansion any charge there is for access to the content just like an expansion, those packs will in effect be 'mini-expansions' and the points there just another valid payment option - we also plan to make the previous expansions available for points as well once the system is live (kind of like buying the full games on the XBox live system for example, its just another thing you can get for your points)

You will never need to buy individual items though to get the best guns, armor or items in the game. Those will always be something that must be gained through normal gameplay so you don't need to worry there
    What your doing now is just getting greedier and milking what little is left of your player base and forcing them to quit due to financial issues.
    What do you call making the base game of AO free and then a couple years later giving away Notum Wars and making that free as well? How is that greedy?

Is 15$ a month not enough? I pay 100.00$ a yearly subscription personally, 2 accounts, but not anymore, not if every new patch that comes out has a price tag, forget it, I'm just not renewing come December.
    Ya, cause that's exactly what Silirrion said, "Every patch that push out from here on out you will have to pay for because we are greedy". These "Booster Packs" that are for sale are smaller versions of expansion packs. You paid for SL, AI and LE. Why not pay a smaller price for more playfields? What is the difference? Please explain to me the difference here.
    DJ Meenstreek
    Top40 Rock & Alternative

GridStream Productions

So now I'm gonna have to pay to be able to go on these new raid areas and new items?

*sigh* Only if you want to. Nothing in these new areas will be better than what is already ingame. Mainly social items or existing armor. Please, read Sil's responses.

What was the point of veterans items? Or Ofab vendors then? Why not remove those too and sell us armor and weapons for real world money?

Because it's NOT armor or weapons that the paid packs are bringing, at least nothing you can't get already ingame.

I understand that AO's 6th birthday is this week, well way to give yourselves the proverbial blow job.

This will most likely be the final nail in the coffin for AO, I hate to say it, a lot of us can't stretch like this to pay for more content, make it VP, make it credz, money>time for most of us. What your doing now is just getting greedier and milking what little is left of your player base and forcing them to quit due to financial issues.

why, because they're going to sell SOCIAL items, as well as mini expansions that you don't need to be competitive in the game? NO UBER ITEMS/WEAPONS/ARMOR!!!

Sil already said free content will still be focused on as it always has been. Not "every new patch that comes out" will "have a price tag".
    If you can't even be bothered to read the entire thread (especially Sil's repeated responses to the things you bring up yet again) before spouting off, do you really expect us or FC to care if you go?

Oh not much difference, except that I suppose a few million dollar in grant money every few months from the norwegian goverment is'nt enough for them, 30$ million SURE is'nt enough, noooo, they gotta put the spurs into the ass of the rest of their players that already paid for expansions, what's this next "mini" expansion gonna be called? "We think we found Eden: in your bank account"?

Making the first expansions free when more come out is just normal practice, it draws more people in, and free AO is just the same, why i bet WoW will be free to play without expansions in about 4 more years.

Everquest 1 ;p

They did a spot on job on that, everyone had their role.

And anyone has a fair chance vs another prof in pvp.

So any questions?
    If you know what should be done to completely balance all professions for PVP and PVM, then why not send an email to feedback@anarchy-online.com explaining how this could be done. Maybe your are FunCom's savior?
    DJ Meenstreek
    Top40 Rock & Alternative

GridStream Productions

New servers? omg...did someone say new servers? o.O *faints*

New servers are a plus. And long overdue. Wow, I'm stunned by that alone. Best thing they've done so far was to put Silirrion as Game Director. Gz on that, Sil and I look forward to seeing many great things come into play now that your there because your actually one of the few I respect still.
    Not everyone is gonna like the changes and god knows I'll probably have my moments where I will wonder wtf made me post what I'm about to here....
    Most of the stuff they are implementing is not exactly new, if only new to the environment of AO. You see this already happening in most games today. Prob is/may be, AO is worth keeping around unlike most of the others out there imo and it could hurt it if too many people don't like the idea of buying creds to get 'uber' or buying lil scooters lol. Ppl are talking about leaving already and at such an alarming rate I've heard that it's got me wondering if it's worth it to lose out on players. So make sure FC that you have a good chunk of approval before you really do this. I've spent 15 years beta testing, trialing, playing this game or that and have yet to find a game interesting enough to take me permanently away from this one since I'd found it, so I have to give FunCom that much anyway. Even though I wouldn't exactly call AO totally unique, it's obvious it has 'something'. Something other games don't.
    There's pros and cons to this arrangement--some of the buyable content is cool enough, but this game I alrdy pay for so I have reservations paying even more just to 'keep up' with everyone else. I don't know about anyone else, but myself I am not made of money and no matter how much I may want anything offered, I most likely won't be getting it, social-only or otherwise (creds). Though buying creds thru FC would not be a bad thing, I just have more important things to spend my real life money on than that.
    It will no doubt affect nearly everything in the game to have this implemented in, but as for myself I think it's about time as far as keeping up with the norm in the gaming world. I do have some concerns, but in comparison I think they are minimal to the advantages.
    Considering I rly felt along with many others that this game was nearing it's end anyway, I can only hope for the best if FC is determined to do it that it will be successful. I am relieved, though still cynical that it was denied that this game was being put on the back burner. Still cynical on how important this game is to FC as a whole because it's just now occuring to them that things like upgrading the servers is needing to be done. You can't tell me with how long ppl have been b*tching (self included--fc, you have enough of my 'love letters' lmao) to see these changes that we the customers rly wanted better servers before more expansions. Expansions are always a good thing, but when existing problems/issues/requests are not handled it's normal for your subscribers to lose your respect.
    FunCom, we must remember, is a COMPANY. Companies generally are in it for themselves and very rarely care for what customers really want despite claiming the contrary. Sorry FunCom, but I know your out for yourself and hey, that's your deal fine. I'm paid, therefore I've contributed to giving you exactly what you want. I'm still waiting, and so are many others for the chance to have what we want. This is imho a good start sort of, but not wholly.
    How about seperate instances too? That way ksing and ninjalooting will be a thing of the past. It's not like it can't be done, it alrdy has been done in a few other games. So why provoke the a**es to be just that by taking away their fun, which ruins everyone elses and then gets ppl so disgusted they end up saying 'f it' and join right in with them? I've seen that happen so many times it's not funny.

What I Don't understand is why FC can't just make them veteran or Victory point items?

Quote Originally Posted by Isisus View Post
    Wall of text hits you for 1,000,000,000 points. You lose!

Quote Originally Posted by meenstreek View Post
    If you know what should be done to completely balance all professions for PVP and PVM, then why not send an email to feedback@anarchy-online.com explaining how this could be done. Maybe your are FunCom's savior?
    Feedback?! ROFLMAOAHAHAHAHEHEH!HAHHAAH *dies* like they listen to anything the players say,hell, motorcycles was a player suggestion and now they are charging for it!

Balance needs a step back from the content updates, and back to the basics.

General of Paradise

Oh not much difference, except that I suppose a few million dollar in grant money every few months from the norwegian goverment is'nt enough for them, 30$ million SURE is'nt enough, noooo, they gotta put the spurs into the ass of the rest of their players that already paid for expansions, what's this next "mini" expansion gonna be called? "We think we found Eden: in your bank account"?
    So what you are saying right here is that every expansion pack that FunCom makes for AO should now be free? That since they just got 30million dollars to help their company they should produce all new content completely free. And while they are at it, just make the game free per month as well?
    These new mini-boosters are MORE CONTENT. What is SL, AI, LE? MORE CONTENT. What's the difference between paying for an expansion pack and paying LESS money for a smaller expansion. An expansion that is not vital for everyone to have so they can still get the best items for their character. Along with these mini-boosters, FunCom is still making FREE content. If you would read the thread, you would notice that Sil has already said that. Let me go ahead and find the post for you though cause I know it's probably really really hard to find.
    Free content updates, like the recent quests series will not stop. That's something we are committed to, there will always be good free content in addition to paid content. The two will be produced side by side (as we have already been doing for a few months now as we have prepared the vehicle pack) so you don't ever need to worry in that respect. There will always be new free content added to the game as well.

The playfield boosters allow us to do larger experiences then we could fit in a regular content update. So whereas say a content update fight include Albtraum or a Sector 10, the boosters allow us to build an experience that might span four or five new playfields, without having to go to the expense of a fully fledged expansion. So the type of content you have seen in the free content updates will still be the type of content you will see in those updates in the future.
    Making the first expansions free when more come out is just normal practice, it draws more people in, and free AO is just the same, why i bet WoW will be free to play without expansions in about 4 more years.
    WoW is only successful cause Blizzard threw millions of dollars at it and made the game so damn easy to play you hardly have to think for yourself. God forbid you have to actually have to use your brain to figure out the best mechanics to use for your character.
    DJ Meenstreek
    Top40 Rock & Alternative

GridStream Productions

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast