Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    And please, PLEASE, instead of setting the same price tag in both USD and EURO, please realise that 1 USD is no longer the same amount of money as 1 EURO, the currency change, and it kinda sucks for me having to pay more just because i dont live in the US
    quoted for importance. this, now large, gap in pricing has made me almost give up on the game several times out of simple frustration.

I have mixed feelings about this.

While I love the fact that new playing fields, improved engine, and new vehicles are coming along; I am iffy on booster pack aspect.

Sil made it seem like they are going to try to make small booster packs every few months, assuming each pack costs $15 for very little content (granted, it’s too early to tell at the moment) this will become a expensive game to keep up-to-date. I fell like in order too ‘keep up’ with the content coming out I will need to seriously reconsider staying with AO because I am not sure I would be able to afford it.

Also, being able to pay for certain 'sets' has me iffy too. Seems like AO went along and started plans to sell in game items for real life cash which I believe is pretty lame.

*sigh* been playing AO for almost 2 years and been a paying customer for almost as long. AO has been a huge financial investment in my end and I really cannot see myself being able to put more money into my account.

It may be too early to worry about this, but AO is awesome and would hate to permanently close my account because I cannot afford every booster pack that comes along.

Either way, great job Sil and I hope that AO lives on for many years ahead.

It all sounds like really great news to me. Especially the engine upgrade, and new playfields, and actual knowledge that AO isnt being phased out. That said I have a few questions/suggestions.

Instead of a pay by item/expansion. I would much rather pay an extra dollar or two per month.(Or have the option) And have access to all new content. ("Elite" account or something?) That way Funcom still makes extra money, I save money, and I also get access to all the new stuff. Would save me the trouble of worrying about if I can afford an extra 10-15 $ for a game upgrade that month. At least make this an option? I am willing to give Funcom a "raise" if they are willing to work harder. This seems to be the trend lately so it is fine by me 8). But I would rather not see prices popping up all over. I want access to everything, without a headache.

I personally think the best way to go about it is simply raising montly costs by 1 or 2 $ for everyone or something. If you really can't afford a 1 or 2 $ increase you should not be playing this game realistically. And if everyone paid you a dollar it would prolly come pretty close to some people buying part of your expansions. And then factor in the 3 month break or so between Paid Content patches. Where u get + 3 (6) dollars per person. I think it is just as effective money wise. And nobody would feel like a froob for not having all parts of the game. Just my opinion.

Also. The Anarchy Online population has been dieing out. There is no denying that. I would be very happy if Funcom took time to consider placing Anarchy 1 and 2 (maybe 3) on the same server. Yea. I know it will be rough at first. But a revitalized population on a server that can actually handle it would just be great. Increase spawn time on the big bosses a bit more (yes it would be needed). And give the bot admins plenty of time to design a way of merging points and stuff. Id imagine it could be figured out. Overall I think now would be the time to seriously consider this option. That is one of the reasons AO is SO great. Community. It has that because you can meet everyone in game, gank them, chat with them, train them. In WoW, your just a number. AO could make the community feeling even better here. (Yes it would be rough at the start) but wouldnt be impossible and I think it would be worth it.

Notes!
    Bigger Backpacks!
    Larger Credit Holding. "Wallet Content Patch!" (Commando costs 600 mill + per piece these days -.-)
    Last edited by Wantsumore; Jun 27th, 2007 at 19:51:47.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Silirrion, I'd respectfully request that the idea of new items for money be reconsidered. Even though the items for purchase will not seriously affect gameplay, you should not be able to exchange RL money for items. How is that any different from buying credits from credit farmers and using those credits to buy ingame items? AO is a very challenging MMO and that's what makes it the best game, things don't happen easily for you, and it makes victory sweet. Giving players stuff for nothin' really goes against the grain...

I will pay for experiences, not items. Why not instead make these items available as part of a booster pack, lootable from downed bosses? HARD bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgina View Post
    I really hope this graphics upgrade is going to solve the problems for ATI card users. I'm getting fed up of crashing in missions
    I really hope that the ATI problems will get fixed long before the graphics upgrade! I'm pretty much down to playing once every two weeks when I'm near a computer with a different card. The continual crashes make it darn near unplayable on my ATI laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Etyris View Post
    Silirrion, I'd respectfully request that the idea of new items for money be reconsidered. Even though the items for purchase will not seriously affect gameplay, you should not be able to exchange RL money for items. How is that any different from buying credits from credit farmers and using those credits to buy ingame items? AO is a very challenging MMO and that's what makes it the best game, things don't happen easily for you, and it makes victory sweet. Giving players stuff for nothin' really goes against the grain...

I will pay for experiences, not items. Why not instead make these items available as part of a booster pack, lootable from downed bosses? HARD bosses.
    I think the idea is that they're selling improvements to people that WANT them. Maybe you don't. That's ok, your toons won't suffer. You can still fly by purchasing a yalm, and if you want to feel like you're using a board, you can roll fixer and triple implant RS. Your dude will still be able to kill mine perfectly well. It's not like Sil sold me a bunch of credits... these are just amped-up veteran items, and will make the game cooler through ingame appearance even if you DON'T buy them.

They're no different than a sombrero. You don't hate sombreros, do you? I paid for 6 months of AO and got a sombrero without having to solo a Dreadloch Sombrero Boss. What's wrong with that?
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    I think its kinda.. wrong to start shouting "OMG paying for items or play fields is lame and wrong!" cause thats EXACTLY what you do with expansions..
    yes, but if you pay for the expansions, you dont automaticaly get the items, you still have to work for them, not just enter your credit card details, and buy it.

Imo if people can buy items like armor and weps for real money, it will ruin the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
    I think the idea is that they're selling improvements to people that WANT them. Maybe you don't. That's ok, your toons won't suffer. You can still fly by purchasing a yalm, and if you want to feel like you're using a board, you can roll fixer and triple implant RS. Your dude will still be able to kill mine perfectly well. It's not like Sil sold me a bunch of credits... these are just amped-up veteran items, and will make the game cooler through ingame appearance even if you DON'T buy them.
    They're no different than a sombrero. You don't hate sombreros, do you? I paid for 6 months of AO and got a sombrero without having to solo a Dreadloch Sombrero Boss. What's wrong with that?
    If they are just like veteran items, and wont effect the game (that much), it is a good idea tho.

also, any ideas on pricing? if it has already said, srry not fully reading it
    Last edited by crazybob; Jun 27th, 2007 at 19:50:38.
    Crat360 -220|24|70 Bureaucrat
    Shutupntank 220|15|XX Doctor
    Litlebigman - 215|15|XX Martial Artist
    Zookeeeper -213|19|44 Keeper

General and Recruiter of Cosmic Forklift Inc.

any boosters that are playfield packs will of course have loot, but like an expansion any charge there is for access to the content just like an expansion, those packs will in effect be 'mini-expansions'
    Uhh.... I could have SWORN I already paid for those expansions. In fact, I'm sure I have.

Expanding an expansion is just a really bad idea. If the booster backs are, oh, 5 bucks, then sure, I might pay. I get the funny feeling they're going to be along the lines of 15-20 usd, however. I paid $15 for Alien Invasion, and feel like I got what I payed for: lots of little junk, some decent armor/weapons, a nice skill boost, and a need for a bottle of aspirin. If the content simply "unlocks" things, like a hoverboard for 20 million credits, then I don't see this as an option at all.

The idea of simply raising the cost of subscription $1 a month is a pretty simple solution to it, really. $12 dollars for a complete expansion that doesn't really add too much for the serious side of AO isn't a bad price at all. $12 is something that,I feel we could all live with, knowing that everyone is offered the same thing at the same time.

1 month of entertainment != some trinkets
    Screwed over for the last time.

Go find a new game to play, this one no longer deserves respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanto View Post
    I really hope that the ATI problems will get fixed long before the graphics upgrade! I'm pretty much down to playing once every two weeks when I'm near a computer with a different card. The continual crashes make it darn near unplayable on my ATI laptop.
    I have three computers with ATI cards and have no problems whatsoever...
    ICC planet-wide announcement: Dextar has been awarded the highest honorary rank for outstanding dedication to the defence of Rubi-Ka. You have gained a new Alien Title: Vindicator!

Time: 13:42 local (17:42 GMT), 04:38 game
    Date: 08. Jul 2007 local
    Dextar has played 252 days 19 hours 22 minutes 18 seconds

Dextar FIRST 220/30/70 Clan Opifex Adventurer on any Server

Like people said, please dont add it so you pay and have instant access to items.

It will take anything special away from them. Games are boring when you pay and everything is handed to you.

Paying for the ability to get items is totally different however, then its "Content".
    Like the second boosterpack sounds excellent. You pay for new zones to obtain new stuff and have fun in.

But for the Vehicles please dont make them something thats just instantly available after buying. Make diff types more expensive/harder to get/much harder to make (if your goin that route) require diff lvls of skill, etc. Or even a personal research line that just unlocks a diff rare color or something. (For people who really want it or want somethin more to do). Anything :P

At the very least add 1-2 "skins" that are harder to get/make and use.
    Last edited by Krause; Jun 27th, 2007 at 20:09:17.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob View Post
    yes, but if you pay for the expansions, you dont automaticaly get the items, you still have to work for them, not just enter your credit card details, and buy it.
    Hmmm lets see I recently upgraded one of my accounts with LE and immediately jumped into a MECH without doing anything didn't have to farm anything or nothing just hit a couple of buttons.

Dex
    ICC planet-wide announcement: Dextar has been awarded the highest honorary rank for outstanding dedication to the defence of Rubi-Ka. You have gained a new Alien Title: Vindicator!

Time: 13:42 local (17:42 GMT), 04:38 game
    Date: 08. Jul 2007 local
    Dextar has played 252 days 19 hours 22 minutes 18 seconds

Dextar FIRST 220/30/70 Clan Opifex Adventurer on any Server

Any plans balance tl7 NW when you have new servers ? ... old NW <3 !
    woofwoof!

Quote Originally Posted by Dextar View Post
    Hmmm lets see I recently upgraded one of my accounts with LE and immediately jumped into a MECH without doing anything didn't have to farm anything or nothing just hit a couple of buttons.

Dex
    That is because the research had already been done, as you well know. All your toons benefit from the work put in by all toons that took the upgrade from the start, and although some were miffed that they had to work a bit for the mechs, this is what you are now slating, it cannot be both ways. You get Vet points for free, and the global bonuses that come with LE, don't p*ss on the parade just because you have nothing constructive to say that is bad.
    Tron04 220/30/60 Fixer
    Yrion 150/20/15 Crat
    Jasper2002 220/23/60 Nanomage Fixer
    Heelzjoo Baby Doc - still growing

I'm all for working at benefits. But when I BUY something (SL, AI, LE), I certainly don't mind getting instant access to it. I don't see a toll booth on the Jobe Platform. I bought it, I can use it.

My point is that I see it as either/or. If you want me to grind up and work for it, fine, but I don't expect to then pay for it. If you want me to BUY it, then don't make me grind it ingame. I already grinded the money in RL! So unless "bikes and boards" is going to be a full scale expansion with playfields, mobs, quests and new grinds (with its own purposeful character development), then please... let me spawn my motorcycle mech-style and cruise happily.

I would not mind working for upgrades and skins, though, through research or paint jobs or whatever.
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

Provided that these booster packs dont cost the same as a reguler expansion ( since it sounds like booster packs will be coming out more often and not everyone is made of money) they sound like a good idea for the most part.

The new vehicles are a nice touch and dont really affect the storyline so i dont see any problem as having this as its own booster pack.

The‘Legacy of the Xan’ booster pack however will affect the storyline by revealing parts of the past. Kind of have mixed feelings on this. You really dont have much of a choice in purchasing this if you want to know the storyline.

I may have missed reading this but going to ask.
    Are big expansions being replaced with small booster packs in the long run, or are booster packs just another way to gain more income in between big expansions?
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Booster Packs - Nice idea. You can pay for "portions" of the pack and get the content you want. Other games have booster packs and nobody complains. The idea that it's wrong actually paying money for items is nullified considering you are doing the same when you buy the SL/AI/LE expansion pack. Other games do it as well, and at least it will be FC getting some kickback instead of some items/leveling/credit service. Keep in mind they'll still be developing content outside of the booster packs and any expansions down the line. You won't HAVE to get the items either, as I'm assuming the items won't be items that will give you a definite edge in the game (IE selling ql 300 Ofab-like gear).

New Hardware - Awesome! Good to see that AO is getting some more breathing room to run on at the backend. I'm sure any downtime will be understood once it is running on the new servers.

New Engine - I never thought I'd see this! AO using a new and updated engine? Finally my video cards will be able to flex some GPU muscle!

All in all, I'm glad to see progression on AO. During the summer months when playtime is limited and the AO population seems low (I haven't had time to REALLY play in over a month), some people start to think something is amiss.
    With some new resources dumped into the game, and a new game engine being introduced I'm hoping that it will help to breathe some new life into an already awesome game. I've already converted a few WoW players who like the complexity of AO. With a new look and perhaps some marketing (word of mouth WORKS, but not nearly as well as making the masses aware of the game), I see the possibility for a welcome addition to the population.
    Rootcommand Level 219/28 Omni Solitus Fixer
    Diosdemuerte Level 213/18 Omni Solitus Soldier
    Dicenslice Level 220/21 Omni Atrox Keeper

~ Proud Member of Newcomers Alliance ~

Oh yea, some for of base model almost instantly available is fine, but there really should be more that take work/money/and or IP in a vehicle skill to get/use.
    Just seems lame if they make it so BAM all are instantly available after the pack is released.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Everything sounds great... The only question I'm starting to ask myself is:

When are the servers getting moved?

(ASAP please. =P)

- Tepherto

PS. Fix Shade PvP k?

Loving this so much :-)

Paid social stuff: very very good move, and thx so much for listening to us beg for bikes!

No Paid uber items: even better!

Paid content packs: Fantastic idea, as Spartanx said, if the pf dont have anything for your profession then dont pay for it :-)

and an engine upgrade? i think i just fainted.

Props to you Sil and all of FC, this is like a dream come true for me.

P.S. I in no way promise not to nag/beg/cajole/massivly over-react any less that i usually do :-p
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Quote Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
    I'm all for working at benefits. But when I BUY something (SL, AI, LE), I certainly don't mind getting instant access to it. I don't see a toll booth on the Jobe Platform. I bought it, I can use it.

My point is that I see it as either/or. If you want me to grind up and work for it, fine, but I don't expect to then pay for it. If you want me to BUY it, then don't make me grind it ingame. I already grinded the money in RL! So unless "bikes and boards" is going to be a full scale expansion with playfields, mobs, quests and new grinds (with its own purposeful character development), then please... let me spawn my motorcycle mech-style and cruise happily.

I would not mind working for upgrades and skins, though, through research or paint jobs or whatever.

True, but when I upgraded to Alien Invasion, they didn't hand me a piece of CM. They gave me the ability to run city raids to earn it. I paid for an expansion then ground out the item. That's fair IMHO.

I'm just not convinced that items you buy in this manner won't affect gameplay. Take hoverboards for example, a yalm for the shadowlands. Imagine how much faster getting around will be if you can just fly over everything in SL? Getting to ergo in inferno will be much faster/less painful, and lowbies will be able to get around inf without progression checks. (IE being high enough level to survive mob aggro) This is a major balance problem, because you'll be able to get to inf missions without the help of a higher level player. Static boss farmers will be able to make a beeline between bosses so heavily camped bosses will be dominated by hoverboarders.

Somberos are one thing, but few are realistically gonna fork over 5 bucks for a virtual mexican party hat. I think we're in for items that aren't going to be used directly in combat but are nonetheless going to alter game balance. Kinda like that token item you can buy with vet points.

Big ups for the graphics engine update though. I love to see major new investment in this game, as I invest both time and money in it.
    Last edited by Etyris; Jun 27th, 2007 at 20:48:54.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast