Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director

Q: Does character transfers involve moving one toon from my account to another of my account or only from server to server ?
    In all likelyhood Server to Server which was stated to be a possible service when they started transfering (Copies) to Testserver Several Patches Ago, Difference would be these would be full transfers (not copies) and these would cost points.

edit: Standard Disclaimer: as I am not a Funcom employee, this is only my best guess.
    Only through the exercise of free will can the soul grow; only through courage in the face of temptation and pain can the spirit soar.

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    My Perception is not always the right one? What?
    what what?

zirca

Sil, with the new server/s and the new booster packs are we going to see a return of the missing zones on RK?
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Post Congrats, and Thank you for Six Great Years

I’m not entirely sure what to say about all of this. To begin let me thank you for making such a great game, and congratulate you on six great years of game play. Though I only started to play Anarchy Online in the past 3 years, and have just upgraded this year, I can honestly say that you have one of the best MMO games out there.

I do though have concerns, though you have mostly covered these.
    I run a piece of ... well a crappy computer. I have an old NVidia GeForce FX5500 in it and I am very impressed at how you manage to take the maximum ability of it and still make it run smooth. My first concern is as to how high you are saying the graphics might go. I understand that you want to make an engine that will last you another 6 years, but are we talking Next-Gen HD Quality. Or will you keep it reasonable?

Second, I must thank you for the part about the pre order items. I missed out on all of the preorder items, and I will be extremely happy to get them, even if I must pay for them. But this also brings the concern of the rich beating the poor. You say now that all of the items will be non-game play, but will it always be like that? I mean, putting a pre-order Mech is one thing, but how long until you make it so that Funcom becomes their own Power Levelers and Gold Farmers? Personally I do trust that you will do your best to make sure this cannot happen. Best of luck with that part of the new system, I can’t wait for 17.5!!!

Also, I must also thank you for keeping AO spam free. This is the ONLY MMO I've ever player where I don’t get tells or see "BUY GOLD CHEAP *******.com/" so for that I must thank you. Also the in game advertisements to keep the Regular version free were pure genius. And the ability to replace them with in game ads for stores and items, ect; that was also genius and it adds to realism. Probably the best part of the game is the realism that is mixed with the Sci-Fi. This game feels like it could actually happen, and it make it a very enjoyable game to play. You have taken a game that at launch was known for massive bugs, and changed it into the#1 Sci-Fi MMO in the World. You have succeeded where other Sci-Fi games (not to name any) have failed.

I can’t wait for more expansion/Booster Packs; you have a very creative writing staff. Every time you put something out, you have a long back story and lots of quests to go with it. Though sometimes you have had some problems, like the battle stations, you seem to always find a way to fix it as best as you can. And with Player run things like GSP, and the helpful ARK, this world of Rubi-Ka will not end. Though there are a few things that could be added to have AO kill the Sci-Fi Competition, you never seem to try. It never looks like you want total control, just to better your game with every release. The Ability to change your name and or server has been done in other MMO Games and it nothing new. But it is good to see it finally come to Anarchy Online. But how far will this go? Will it extend to other parts of the character, such as the face, height, and weight?

You have also many other points which you have done very well, and I would like to thank you for. The amount of balance that the different classes have, basically the difference between a doctor and enforcer; or even the difference from the ranged Agent to the Melee Shade. Next, the amount of creativity you have is amazing, you didn’t just take the basics of sci-fi and make a game, you’ve made a whole new world. The ability of the RP events is almost limitless. I can make an RP event where I have to search a building for a “Dangerous Device”, but really just have that device just being a lamp or something. The different types of apartments are also a very great idea. The Clan apartments differ slightly from the Omni, and the Jobe are much different that all others.

I know this thank you post is getting a little too long for me to write, or for you to read. So to conclude, Thank you for making the best damn MMO out there and for six great years. I look forward to the future or Rubi-Ka, and the adventure that follow.

Galactic1337

Edit: I also almost forgot, about these server are you talking about how other MMO games do with 50,000 different servers. Or do you just mean something liek adding 3 more servers to the list and then adding other language servers. Personaly i belive AO could get away with only one or two english, and other language, servers. They servers are set up well, with buildings and dungens only are instanced when they get full. That helps to limit any lag, and was annother genius funcom idea.

Also, as other posters have stated, thank you for killing the rumors of Funcom dropping AO to put full force into Age of Conan. I am releaved, but not surprised, that you chose to do this.
    Last edited by Galactic1337; Jul 1st, 2007 at 07:17:22. Reason: Missed a Partial Concern

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic1337 View Post
    Edit: I also almost forgot, about these server are you talking about how other MMO games do with 50,000 different servers. Or do you just mean something liek adding 3 more servers to the list and then adding other language servers. Personaly i belive AO could get away with only one or two english, and other language, servers. They servers are set up well, with buildings and dungens only are instanced when they get full. That helps to limit any lag, and was annother genius funcom idea.

Also, as other posters have stated, thank you for killing the rumors of Funcom dropping AO to put full force into Age of Conan. I am releaved, but not surprised, that you chose to do this.
    Naaaaaaaaa it will be something like this

00.00 Someone walks up from the coffee table to make certain the automatic server of shutter executed so that no one can play.

00:30 Coffee break is over.

00:31 Theres a queue to the bathroom

00:41 Everyone start to work

00:42 Someone starts to make a coppy of the server side game

01:00 Coffee break

01:30 Someone checks on the copy standing at 5% and decides they can grab a bit of food also

01:31 It changes to 6%

*snip*

13:00 The copy is done

13:15 People get back from there coffee break and realize that its done

14:50 Someone decides that maybe they should do something constructive now...

14:51 Famine is sent to buy more coffee

14:52 Sillrion feels confident in that something constructive is being done and that the coffee supply soon will be secured

15:00 Famine gets back

17:00 work is started to transfer to data to the new servers but one of the technicians reallies that something is wrong

17:01 The same Technician reallies that the round thing with pointy things on must be in the square thing with holes in it thats on the wall for the new servers to get power, he quickly makes a error report about it and will later in life hold lectures for new technicians about this revolutionary discovery....

17:02 The transfer starts

*snip*

25:05 people start waking up

26:01 Dev team eats breakfast and drinks coffee with the technicians over MSN with Web cams.. A certain technician tells about his remarkable discovery the day before and its followed by applauds and a load "Ooooooooooooo" by the devs

28:16 Transfer seems to have been done with the best of results. Old software is removed and adds are placed on E-bay for the old servers, no backup is taken.

28:26 One of the devs reallise that all items and creds related to the toon "Rktim" has been lost but everything else is ok

28:30 Devs agree that Rktim needed a individual nerf anyway..

28:31 Sill decides that they can take the rest of the day off because they have done such a good job and considering that the servers are up again..

48:34 Cleaning lady switches on the new servers while shaking her head pondering how FC would get by without her..

48:35 Rktim loggs in
    48:35.35 Rktim loggs out
    48:36.10 Rktim cancels his account

In short.. There moving the software from old servers to new servers.. Nothing fancy ^.^
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

I came to a conclusion after reading the forums ( the german board as well, it's even a little worse in this regard ).
    *drum roll*
    The game needs something, according to this letter, and the recent discussions all over the boards.
    I think it's time that a new version is added to the veteran placards.

I demand a "The end is near!" placard!
    Maybe together with a dirty & shaggy robe.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed To Whom it May Concern.

Im glad to see graphical improvements are in the pipeline, its much needed. Obviously the game is getting old and needs to be "brushed off" in order to be viable in the long term and since it doesnt, directly, compete with AoC due to different genres im glad you haven't forgot about us who prefer Sci-Fi.

Im also glad you've taken the decision to upgrade from your outdated Dell Poweredge servers, maybe an RK1/RK2 cluster is upcoming in the future as people move on to newer games, maybe something to keep in mind when writing the code.

I would prefer however that instead of introducing skateboards and what not you would review all the professions wishlist/bugs, balance the PVP aspect, assign Professionals and focus on the glitches and bugs that are ingame and has been so some even since release, instead of introducing more stuff that will probably introduce more bugs. It feels like a slap in the face when booster packs (which makes me think of cardgames) are introduced to gain more revenue instead of fixing the leaking boat.

All in all im looking forward to playing this game for another year or more tho I wish that quality would take priority over quantity.

Best of luck
    ichiikiraa .:. shade
    bangedup .:. soldier
    mechtronics .:. engineer
    xpdewh .:. fixer retired telling stories about NW lush mutants and unnerfed medusas
    Omni-Tek is your friend
    .: HUGE, inc :.

so, with all this new content, including all the new SL quests, sector10, albtrauma, how about adding loads more org cities? more area's like coast of peace/tranquility are needed a lot more than a hover board!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikarus View Post
    I demand a "The end is near!" placard!
    Maybe together with a dirty & shaggy robe.
    Make it a back armor, robe included.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

So when are we having the Anarchy Online Convention and Debaucherous Love Fest to celebrate the relaunch of AO with the new engine?

It can take nearly a year to plan a good convention, so lets get started now.

Oh and is it true that those who have been here for 5-6 years will have enough points to get the next 3 booster packs? The newly purchasable leet pets will be vastly weaker than the original leet pets and always get pwned in battle? The walls of the newly puchasable jobe apartments will be bright red to show it is a "new" jobe luxury apartment?
    Sometimes, you just have to charge in with both hands blazing and hope they drop before you do.

I won't join your org, but I may join your cause...for a price

All must bow before receiving my blessings

Quote Originally Posted by Davias View Post
    So when are we having the Anarchy Online Convention and Debaucherous Love Fest to celebrate the relaunch of AO with the new engine?

Oh and is it true that those who have been here for 5-6 years will have enough points to get the next 3 booster packs? The newly purchasable leet pets will be vastly weaker than the original leet pets and always get pwned in battle? The walls of the newly puchasable jobe apartments will be bright red to show it is a "new" jobe luxury apartment?
    :lol: Lets cover your points in order

Plan the "Anarchy Online Convention and Debaucherous Love Fest" whenever and wherever you like, maybe someone will even attend.

Nothing of that sort was stated (except by players). It was stated in the "press release" as opposed to the "Open Letter" that those players who are "subscribed' to the game would be given a quanity of 'points' for free, and that those on longer term subscriptions (paying for 3, 6, 12 month billing periods) getting 'bonus' points, and that these would be credited to account 'when' the payment for billing period was received. It is of note that all of this is in the "planning stage" and nothing has been finalized.

Originally Posted by FunCom
    "Players who are paying subscribers of Anarchy Online will get a set of monthly points included in the subscription price, and longer pricing plans like 6 and 12 months gives extra points. As an added incentive Funcom will send points to the player account upon receipt of subscription dues."
    The Last part is too Obviously a joke . If the Preorder bonuses from previous expansions are made available the flag set on account would be the same as if they had preordered, aka not a 'new' leet pet or a 'new' Jobe Lux or for that matter a 'new' Personal Mech
    Last edited by Peregryn; Jul 2nd, 2007 at 21:35:21.
    Only through the exercise of free will can the soul grow; only through courage in the face of temptation and pain can the spirit soar.

I think his entire post was a joke.. Stop giving my forum avatar a bad reputation =P

Btw.. "Anarchy Online Convention and Debaucherous Love Fest"

I´M SO THERE!
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Davias View Post

Its not really a party unless you have debauchery and depravation!

Dex
    ICC planet-wide announcement: Dextar has been awarded the highest honorary rank for outstanding dedication to the defence of Rubi-Ka. You have gained a new Alien Title: Vindicator!

Time: 13:42 local (17:42 GMT), 04:38 game
    Date: 08. Jul 2007 local
    Dextar has played 252 days 19 hours 22 minutes 18 seconds

Dextar FIRST 220/30/70 Clan Opifex Adventurer on any Server

Quote Originally Posted by Rktim View Post
    I think his entire post was a joke.. Stop giving my forum avatar a bad reputation =P

Btw.. "Anarchy Online Convention and Debaucherous Love Fest"

I´M SO THERE!

oh! I'm sorry I had not noticed my sense of humor had been repossessed due to failure to keep up with payments.

Next on cashcow online BUY A BOC for 100$ who wants it!?

hmmm....
    Whine more plz I feed on your tears

Ethernal- "Friends don't let friends infonet drunk"

My internet is waaaay faster than yours so you can suck my fiberoptic!

TBH, not many here have picked up the obvious truth.

FC already operates on this basis. I canceled my subscription 2 days after LE went live, and re-subscribed 5 months down the line when I felt there was (just about) enough content. Too much hype / Christmas rush / lack of content / two years lack of work for me ruined FC's chances of my subscription for that period. SL / AI is still receiving content (although copy/paste is in evidence, at least its there, and whoever the writer is for quests in Ado has my respect). I suspect LE will receive more in the future. In effect, FC already asks you to purchase 'booster packs' in that it takes 3months-2 years to get your value for money out of the expansion you've purchased - you figure it out, but if this continued commitment to providing extra content is held to, I'm happy not to cancel, and am happy to pay subscriptions.

In reality - I'd much prefer a system where I pay 10-20Euro for content that is clearly defined, has the +'s laid out and is in game when it says it is than paying 27.99Euro (or whatever) for an 'expansion' that takes 5-6 months to be fleshed out, goes live naked and creates bitterness in the player-base.

All in all, someone somewhere knows what they're doing, and is aware of the crappy business model erstwhile deployed. I can only see this as a good thing. Continued updating of SL/AI content has guaranteed FC at least a years subscription to me - I hope that the Dust brigades content is fr00b friendly, as I think fr00bs do help the game survive.
    Last edited by Pip; Jul 3rd, 2007 at 03:29:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    Yes, there will be NPCs arriving on Rubi-Ka shortly that can be found to get your hands on some neat birthday presents
    Is there any particular reason why these NPCs were removed before even one full week had passed?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic1337 View Post
    The Ability to change your name and or server has been done in other MMO Games and it nothing new. But it is good to see it finally come to Anarchy Online. But how far will this go? Will it extend to other parts of the character, such as the face, height, and weight?
    changing name isn't that important a feature, one rarely wants to change account names (to my knowledge ), and toon names can be changed allready (type "/name help" to see how, the "nickname" can only be altered upto level 15 I believe (or was it 10?, don't remember ), first and last name whenever you want)

also, changing how you char looks can be done aswell (plastic surgery clinic in org HQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripsis View Post
    Is there any particular reason why these NPCs were removed before even one full week had passed?
    the presence of these NPC's was during the period covered by the FC/ARK/GSP Party. Aka: Birthday Bash and at that the window of Opportunity was 3 days long. TBH, the two utility Items do nothing, and while the Backpack look nifty they have nothing special

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    I hope that the Dust brigades content is fr00b friendly, as I think fr00bs do help the game survive.
    No Freekin Way. That stuff BETTER be aimed at 220's like Alb was. No way are they turning the hands down coolest thing they have planned in the past 3 years into some low lvl garbage :P
    Last edited by Krause; Jul 3rd, 2007 at 15:06:36.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast