Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A way to divide PvPers and PvMers

I think when funcom implements the large storyline orgs(Omni-Pol, Clans, Omni-Med, etc....) that any player can join, they should also implement little political items. If you join a storyline org(not player-run) you should be forced to wear this little political item before you can join the storyline org. And the political item will make you open to attack by the opposing side anywhere on Rubi-Ka.

The storyline is basically a war between Omni-Tek and the Clans. If you participate in this storyline you should be expected to kill the enemy whereever you see him/her.

How do you know the storyline will be about Omni-Tek vs. the Clans in 5 months?

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    How do you know the storyline will be about Omni-Tek vs. the Clans in 5 months?
    That's a good question. I'm not the best at following the story arc, but aren't there ICC peacekeepers above the planet now? If I'm not mistaken, they are there to prevent war from breaking out.

My guess is that the ICC is going to bomb us with suppression gas, paving the way for the 75% zones of the land control booster.

The OT/Clanwar might be over. The land-control towers become essentially feudal conflict between warlords.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

I look at it this way. You don't wanna PvP, don't enter political or mayhem zones. It's your choice to go there. Nobody can warp you into a PvP zone. Yes with the recent possibility of fluctuations there is a risk for all, but you can easily duck into a shop for a few minutes. And besides it's great to say I'm a PvMer don't hit me, but what do you do at 200? There is no longer a point in killin mobs. Do you just sit around? I understand there is always RP, but without any viable actions to accentuate that RP it can often grow stale. I'm not saying you have to PvP or that you have to design your character for it, but this is a conflict based game and even pacifists can get caught up in a war if the war is brought to them.

If you're reasons for not fighting are RP reasons then fine, but understand that such events and things may have an effect on those reasons. I have no problems with RP, but I do have problems with people who build their characters with the RP goal of doing or being one certain thing. RP is dynamic, as with real people characters are shaped and effected by experiences and conflicts in their lives. They may start with goals and such, but in time those things may change.

If you're reasons are that you just don't like to PvP or you hate the system... Well so you don't like it avoid it as much as you can. There are few situations that will force it upon you. If you don't like the system, well almost nobody does. It's a mess, but it's what we've got to work with.

Dont want to fight? Dont go in 25%.

End of story.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Gotta agree with Kinkstaah. There's a reason them areas is 25%. They are for fighting.

Long as FunCom doesn't try to 'make' you go there by putting the best loot or exp there, there's no reason to go into a PvP zone if you don't want to PvP.

It's like a PvP'er joining a mission and saying he's gonna sit in the first room because 'he don't like monster bashing, it's boring'.

Works both ways. Just as long as FunCom isn't 'pushing' you into the PvP zone, don't go there.

Now, if they put 25% gas around Professor Van Horn or Jack Legchopper, we'd have a problem.

No, we could easily say - "Want good loot? Gonna have to risk it. Risk v Reward"

Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

I'll just have to refer to any of the other threads revolving around the issue of 'risk' when it comes to PvP and whether or not PvP should be rewarded more than PvM.

It's getting old hearing the repetitious chants that the PvP is in some way a 'superior' way of enjoying the game and as such deserves to be 'rewarded' more than those who despise it.

I'll just remind you that 'risk' has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the thing that is killing you is AI or Human. FunCom could put a monster right next to Prof. Jones that had a 1 in 10 chance of executing 'Instant Death' and it would be 'riskier' to attempt to kill it than Mike "Kinkstaah" Bond.

It's just that some people don't find it an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday fighting against other people but would gladly die a thousand deaths to the monster with the instant death nuke.

Now how would you feel if you were not allowed to even attempt to attack Mr.InstantDeathNukeNPC because you were labels a PvP'er? Would you think that was fair. What if Mr.InstantDeathNukeNPC dropped a ring that added 800 hitpoints. Would you be pissed? You were denied that ring simply because you chose to enjoy PvP. Sauce for the goose and all.

The 'Risk vs. Reward' argument is nonsense. If you want to PvP, then feel free to do so. I engage in it at times as well. I hope the PvP game is made as enjoyable as possible.

Just don't reward it as a result of thinking it's any better than the Tradeskillers, Monster Bashers, or RP'ers. That's a recipe for disaster as far as FunCom is concerned.

Finally, you tell me what 'risk' is involved in a Camelot raid? Please tell me what the 'risk' is. Because as far as I can tell, there is none. You can't lose a damn thing. Yet, you think that the Gaily Painted Hood should be rewarded to PvP'ers because of the 'Risks' that are involved.

What is being 'risked' in 2HO? What's the phat lewt that is being fought over there?

The hardcore PvP'er fires up Counterstrike and has a blast for 4 hours every Saturday afternoon. What's the 'reward'? Why did he have so much fun?

It's getting old. The 'Risk vs. Reward' cliche needs to be flushed where it belongs.

Do you want an item?
    Bob wants it more than you.
    If you want it, you have to get past bob. Nothing is more lame than attempting to outdamage another team at a spawn.

End of story - If bob is all 'hardcore' and he wants his 800HP ring, then too bad. There's a bigger fish here. Either fight back, or shape up, or get some friends to blast bob.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Originally posted by Mike "Kinkstaah" Bond
    No, we could easily say - "Want good loot? Gonna have to risk it. Risk v Reward"

Risk what? it's all going 75% now it seems from test server reports. So, if you want PvPer out in the open, you're going to be stuck in 2h0 or wait til the booster.

well... seems as though that doesn't matter, since the whole world is pretty much going 75% according to someone from test.... I kind of saw this coming, which is why I put an idea out there that I thought could allow for both the PvPers and PvMers to coexist, without fairly removing the game for one or the other. Now we have a planet in turmoil, at war, with very few places where fighting is allowed :P

It's easy to say if you don't want to be ganked don't go into 25%.... sometimes you really don't have that option because of the game mechanics.... I mean, if you want to go to Smuggler's Den through the main entrance to fight the queen then you must go into 25%.

Honestly, I don't care about going into 25% zones, but I do care about getting out of missions. I'm glad to here that the new Dynacamps are all going to be 75% zones simply because I don't think people would have hunted in 25% zone. The sad side of that is pretty much most of the world keeps changing to 75%.

I guess the point is, I see tons of people on here, a fair amount are people complaining about getting ganked in 25% zones, another group whines if they get attacked without officially accepting a duel, and another group that avidly feels PvP is their game. Kink, you are in the PvP group... I guess I could've fallen there too, but I haven't PvP'd in the last 20 levels because I think it is stupid when the gods of PvP are Docs and Traders.

Like I said, now the game is being changed in favor of PvMers and removing a lot of PvPer areas... I think the game would be a lot more interesting if you could attack anyone anywhere, if you were a gutsy PvPer... it's sad that in this futuristic world most people only fight 1 on 1 and if the other person agrees to the battle before they step into the area they fight... Instead, I hope the PvPers are happy being restricted to 2h0 and MMD and the arena's now. I'm sure there will still be others, but does anyone really ever go to 4holes anyway?
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

Nah, they still got two entire playfields of Mayhem. Base it on the amount of people who PvP and then allot that amount of server space.

Same reports from Test Server indicate that that Deep Artery Valley and Central Artery Valley, I believe, continue to be great areas for the PvP'ers to hold their wars.

And this without Whom'pa and Grid Jumping, Bunker and Zone Hugging, Guard training, and all the other nonsense that I hear makes 2HO such a poor place to PvP. Two entire playfields where you can fight each other till the cows come home.

They probably hit it just about right with two full zones. 2 out of 20 or so is about equivalent to the PvP'er percentage in the game.

It's not about closing the game off to the PvP'ers. On the contrary. It's about opening up more of the world to the majority of the playerbase.

I actually see people at the Wine Whom'pa station now. Imagine that.

Originally posted by Mike "Kinkstaah" Bond
    Dont want to fight? Dont go in 25%.

End of story.
    Sorry Kinkstaah, but this opinion would have a different tone coming from the 'crat professional. Or the Engi one.

The Trader professional is probably nodding their head in agreement "yup! yup! Mike's right!".

AO PvP is too broken to be mandatory at any level. Period. The prof you play has too large an effect. The gear you wear has too large an effect.

Just because you super-twinked up a Trader, should you ALWAYS get that 800HP ring? AO says yes. Screw that.

However, it's all about compromise. How about this:

An option on the mission term that PREVENTS MISSIONS in 25%?

There you go. NOW I don't have to get stuck at levels where every mission is to SWB. No one gets a "free pass" thru political zones, and PvP isn't "forced" on anyone.

How about that?

EDIT:

OF course, if most playfields are going to 75% all this is moot.
    Last edited by Rogoff; Sep 9th, 2002 at 13:55:34.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Nah, they still got two entire playfields of Mayhem. Base it on the amount of people who PvP and then allot that amount of server space.

Same reports from Test Server indicate that that Deep Artery Valley and Central Artery Valley, I believe, continue to be great areas for the PvP'ers to hold their wars.
    what's really sad is that of the 100's of times I've been through those zones, I have never seen a single other person... which just goes to show that people don't want to be bothered by going in them.

In SWB I have on occassion seen some people, but it is by far not common. The thing is that most people don't want to bother going there if they are going to get ganked.

I think it would be a greater impression on noobs, if they were running to their first mission in GoF and notice a clanner fighting an Omni out their in a great battle... I would guess they'd even be that much more impressed with the game. Of course that being said, it would also need to be an optional change to go PvP in the 75% zones, else things like hunting the robots, would just become PvP kill sites.
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12