Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Godzilla!

Bumping this back up.

It would be better if it didn't drop anything special. This mob would be way more fun for the random "omg it just hit me for 13,579 damage" in OOC. Also if people had no reason to track it, then noone would be prepared when it comes into a city ready for some slaughter. Its all about the randomness.

Quote Originally Posted by megabrawlman View Post
    It would be better if it didn't drop anything special. This mob would be way more fun for the random "omg it just hit me for 13,579 damage" in OOC. Also if people had no reason to track it, then noone would be prepared when it comes into a city ready for some slaughter. Its all about the randomness.
    Yeah, I'd be for that... the point is to have the guy suprise you, and that's not going to happen if he's got phatz. Somebody will have a tool on their orgbot that can detect him, or a dedicated toon that runs around looking for him (like Yalmbot from RK2 a few months ago). If he drops some insignificant crap (maybe Dyna loot but nothing specific), he'll be allowed to roam free.
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

Bump and just for the heck of it thought I'd point out that megabrawlman and my prior post was exceedingly similar.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges View Post
    If it can spawn in any zone (except cities) then wander about zone to zone as it pleases it'd be impossible to plan attack on spawn raids. Also those only happen for the mobs we have now due to the loot. Just make it so the loot isn't that exciting or none at all (like the two in Nasc) and it would go largely ignored until it shows up in OA, Rome, Bor or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by megabrawlman View Post

my guess is that if it just showed up in cities because it wasn't worth fighting for higher players (i.e nothing at all to gain from it) and just sat there camping fr00bs at reclaim and low level players twinking, playing etc... then it would just lead to more people quitting than enjoying the 'suprise'. I don't think anyone here would like to finish a mission, stop at the mission terminal where you are getting another.. step away to get a glass of water and come back to an entire level in their xp pool, rather being on the verge of dinging.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixOfAges
    Clearly you didn't properly read the original post.
    Real nice response when you clearly didn't bother to read my post about the reason a random timer is necessary to stop camping with yalms a large mob can be found in minutes when player knows the spawn time), while not understanding the game and that a mob that hits for 13000 and has no loot will be a waste of time for the players whom could kill it and would potentially ruin the gameplay of players whom can't kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by el33tist View Post
    my guess is that if it just showed up in cities because it wasn't worth fighting for higher players (i.e nothing at all to gain from it) and just sat there camping fr00bs at reclaim and low level players twinking, playing etc... then it would just lead to more people quitting than enjoying the 'suprise'. I don't think anyone here would like to finish a mission, stop at the mission terminal where you are getting another.. step away to get a glass of water and come back to an entire level in their xp pool, rather being on the verge of dinging.
    Well, this wouldn't be something that happened once a day. This guy would, ideally, just wander the entirity of RK with few restrictions. In my suggestion, he would show up rarely in populated areas, and would be enough of a treat to see to keep him interesting and not annoying.

So, yeah, I agree that killing defenseless froobs with a zoning endgame mob is only fun occasionally. FC would have to be careful to make him a fairly slow, large mob and to only let him in Borealis once a week or so. Remember, as Sil has said on multiple occasions (paraphrasing), you're SUPPOSED to die. Let's make it fun.

I didn't think it was fun getting killed by Ran Roth-Ur or a Voracious Horror at first, but now I can look back on those experiences and laugh... because I learned from it when people laughed at me on OOC. As I understand it, these are unique experiences to AO, as other MMO's seem to segragate level ranges. Why not show it off with something that can add variety to RK?
    Causes:
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)

KAES

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    Giant Baratons with 3K runspeed FTW!!!

And they should have enough intelligence to discern which target to attack, based on what gets said within a certain radius... on that basis, the attack heirarchy is ordered (1st gets highest attack priority) on the following terms being broadcast:

1) "Want to buy some credz?"
    2) "Credz plx"
    3) "Hi, my name is Doomcow"
    4) "FFA is about the challenge"

Seriously though, bump the original idea.
    Started loughing, almost died of the saliva in my throat after 2 minutes.

Bump
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Bump!
    Causes:
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)

KAES

Ooooh no! There goes Tokee-yo!

Bump bump Godzilla!
    Causes:
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)

KAES

Bump and...

Real nice response when you clearly didn't bother to read my post about the reason a random timer is necessary to stop camping with yalms a large mob can be found in minutes when player knows the spawn time), while not understanding the game and that a mob that hits for 13000 and has no loot will be a waste of time for the players whom could kill it and would potentially ruin the gameplay of players whom can't kill it.

Let's look at the related part from your original post.

I think there's enough proof that 18 hour spawns don't work... Why? because players gather at 17 1/2 hours and slaughter them on spawn.

Now let's look at the related part from the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
    He could be an 18 hour spawn and wander RK on a path of destruction. He would need to be able to enter Borealis and Athen and Rome, and his spawn location would need to be randomized (to an extent, obviously he wouldn't SPAWN in Bor, he would have to walk there).

From the original post we can determin that it doesn't spawn in the same zone but any zone other than a major city then is able to wander anywhere, including across zone boarders to major cities or any other zone. The reason the current unique fixed spawn mobs don't work is the following tends to happen.

1. A person finds a unique mob.
    2. They alpha or nearly alpha kill it.
    3. Loot the special item/items they may drop.
    4. Log out.
    5. About ten minutes before it will respawn or so they return to that spot or just log back in at that spot.
    6. They then repeat steps two through five effectively owning that spawn till the next server reboot.

With it spawning in almost any zone and able to wander anywhere finding it would be exceedingly difficult. Our current wandering unique or named mobs in RK and SL wander around a fixed area some and some can be a pain to find but since they only wander a little ways it's not too bad.

This thing can spawn almost anywhere and go anywhere, good luck finding that when you're trying to shortly after spawn. Unless you organize several donzens of searchers to sweep through zones in an organized zone by zone pattern you're not going to find it very readily at all, even then, good luck. Then since it'd be a high level "raid strength" mob no one is going to just alpah kill it on their own, attacking on their own or even with a single group would mean death. You'd need multiple groups so you need a pile of people to find it after spawn and a good number of high levels to kill it. One person owning a simple to kill fixed location and spawn time mob is one thing, organizing that many repeatedly for something like this thing is quite another.

As for it ruining the game experience if you spot it while going to a mission for instance. Since it wanders anywhere it would be like Hwal or the big Tiig in Nasc, if you see it wandering somewhere you want to go you hang back till it's out of the way. It's suppose to be a huge mob so you're sure to spot it. So if you're out on your own and it's around where you want to be you just wait a bit, get a neat comment to make on org chat or tell others about, then do what you wanted when it lumbers off.

As for people not wanting to kill it since it doesn't drop anything. Then if you're implying that even should it go into a city people won't kill it just look at those random alien raids on cities like Old Athen. Now that we have AI XP on demand at any lvl through LE mishions, plus raids, high lvl APFs and now a mid lvl APF people aren't really hurting for ways to get AI XP. Although within very little time of the first wave there are hoards of people around the spawn areas killing most aliens within seconds of spawning.

If that happens surely they drop bots or something? Nope, no bots and nothing other than regular mob loot from a regular alien in a raid or APF. So the AI XP must be boosted, right? Nope, regular AI XP from an alien that level. So why bother coming in hoards when you know you'll likely be KSed or the like? It's fun and differentish (not so much anymore). The same goes for the leet raids and the rare Dust Brigaid raids, both of those give nothing to very little but many people still head over when they hear it's going on.
    Last edited by PhoenixOfAges; Jun 22nd, 2007 at 08:54:54.

With it spawning in almost any zone and able to wander anywhere finding it would be exceedingly difficult. Our current wandering unique or named mobs in RK and SL wander around a fixed area some and some can be a pain to find but since they only wander a little ways it's not too bad.
    I appreciate the well thought out post, but Funcom has done this before and although few people are aware of this, it was quite easy to track down the spawn and kill it.

At least two consecutive years, Funcom spawned a Level 300 Unkle Pumpkinhead. This particular pumpkin was hidden somewhere on Rubi-ka. I'm not sure if it's been in game since, as people quickly eliminate him when he is.

The first year of it in-game (on RK1) as far as I am aware, it was killed by storm in Perpetual Wastlands (probably in 2002). The following year, it was killed by Band of Brothers. I was in the group that located it in DAV, very early in the day on the first day it was in game. We killed it, and it dropped (if I can remember 3 Heavy Notum Tank Armors, 9 Anythings, and 3 QL300 Belt of Justice's).

Anyhow... my point is simple... zones can quickly be scoured for a large mob.

The only way you can add the element of suprise is spawn time AND location. If people know the mob is up, it's a matter of finding it... Even the beast is on a routine kill cycle and a whole zone has to be progressed by a large raid force just to get to him (well small skilled raidforces have done him as well, props to once famed guild Tranquility).

As for people not wanting to kill it since it doesn't drop anything. Then if you're implying that even should it go into a city people won't kill it just look at those random alien raids on cities like Old Athen. Now that we have AI XP on demand at any lvl through LE mishions, plus raids, high lvl APFs and now a mid lvl APF people aren't really hurting for ways to get AI XP. Although within very little time of the first wave there are hoards of people around the spawn areas killing most aliens within seconds of spawning.

If that happens surely they drop bots or something? Nope, no bots and nothing other than regular mob loot from a regular alien in a raid or APF. So the AI XP must be boosted, right? Nope, regular AI XP from an alien that level. So why bother coming in hoards when you know you'll likely be KSed or the like? It's fun and differentish (not so much anymore). The same goes for the leet raids and the rare Dust Brigaid raids, both of those give nothing to very little but many people still head over when they hear it's going on.

Sure the regular aliens drop regular mob loot... but I know at least for awhile unless something has changed there were mobs towards the end of the raid which dropped bots. The high levels come for the bots.
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...62&postcount=4
    Quote Originally Posted by bnemisis
    On RK2 there was such a raid in Rome Red (and green?) a few days ago.
    Hundreds and hundreds of aliens. Lots of generals. Some even dropping bots.
    Was a fun event, even though it was lagged to hell.
    You might also want to look at:
    http://allneutsorganisation.myfastfo...o_t__t_32.html

Former events run by ARKs.. however, in these a half dozen lead bots would drop off the mob.

bump for that great idea, and for leet of Doom too

To address El33tist's posts:

I concede that a random timer might be better than 18h.

My reason for it dropping nothing is that he will perform as intended if no one is hunting him. He's supposed to be a suprise, and one that you run from, except under proper circumstances. A raidforce can kill a raid strength mob, but what about an unprepared raidforce? It could get a little tougher. There's no raidbot in Borealis, which is really the only place I picture enough people gathering to be able to drop him... well that, or the Unicorn landing pad.

It's a fun idea to imagine all those toons in various stages of PvP or buffing or tradeskilling having to drop what they're doing to defend themselves, and having to work as a team on short notice across faction lines. No level requirements or 1 week bans would apply, so you'd have situations where 2 TL3 docs and a TL4 MA are trying to keep an endgame enforcer alive, while a dedicated ely kiting NT spams VE and hopes nobody's flagged. It would happen just often enough for there to be a story or two to tell, but not so often that you get annoyed.
    Causes:
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)

KAES

WTB a second what ever it is popping at random dynas on spawn as well... making dyna campers suddenly poop themselves as the mega boss spawns too..

/pays money to see that farmers face when mega boss is there waiting for him at the regularly alarm'd pop time.

Bump....
    ....but only if soli SB/OS works on it

(sry, couldnt resist)
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

bring the strange mutants that Omni tek has plaged the lands with back. used to be all over the place...events spawned by the gms that were foudn out in nowhere..HUGE ass mobs that were hard to kill.

Dont put a timer that can be farmed..or a location that is static. just make them appear out of nowhere on a semi regular basis..in really odd locations.

Make people who want to find them actualy have to get out of shadowlands..and explore the wide expanse of Rk that they prolly never have seen.

and for the loewt whores in this game..make them realyl goddamn hard ot kill (think, pande raid or old school Mercs raids in the past) and have a small chance of dropping...the valuable hard to get Rk loot (tarry's sword..merc armor..ect).

If you need a reason why the mob drops this...well..maybe it tate some bloke who wore this crap

WTB 90 ft tall rolleratt to storm omni1 again!

P.s: if one spawns..make several across the server. keeps EVERYONE form eventualyl showing up..and making it a lagfest..and no fun.
    Last edited by Metalynx; Jun 23rd, 2007 at 01:00:44.
    Metalynx: 216..... 4 more levels and the server will shut down!

Metalynx: "I seriously hope all the stupid people in the world don't congrigate in one spot, for all the weight of this massive amount of raw idiodicy, might collapse upon itself, creating a Singularity of Ignorant Stupidity, unmatched in strength by any black hole in the universe"

At least two consecutive years, Funcom spawned a Level 300 Unkle Pumpkinhead. This particular pumpkin was hidden somewhere on Rubi-ka. I'm not sure if it's been in game since, as people quickly eliminate him when he is.
    The big UPHs were a special mob only appearing for a limitted time that had a lot of good loot (the UPHs were the only ones dropping some really nice buffing pistols). They stayed in the zone it was spawned and didn't wander too far from where each was spawned unless they chased someone. Everyone was looking for UPHs of every level and with a good number of people an org could do a zone by zone search for the big one safely moving on to the next zone after one was checked. Plus as the loot was that good and it only showed up for a short while organizing a modest group for a limited time wasn't too hard to do.

The idea here and you're just not getting is it doesn't stick to a limitted wandering area and can even travel across zones. There hasn't been anything like that as far as I know. Such an ability increases the number of people you'd need quite a bit since you'll need to sweep each zone with a line of people and check multiple zones at once as who's to say it didn't wander to the zone you just checked while your group is checking the next one. If it's not a limitted time thing dropping only run of the mill stuff you're not going to find that many willing searchers on a continual basis as you'd need for this as you would for UPHs.

Most just wouldn't want to bother to hunt it at all once the images get posted somewhere. If no one is hunting it, it wanders aimlessly and it could start off on the ass end of the planet at times the respawn timer could be 0 hours or 720 hours (30 days) as it really wouldn't matter much for something like this. With it slowly wandering aimlessly and popping way the hell out there even with an instant respawn time it could be a month or months before it ends up in or around a heavily populated area. It'd be one thing if it made a bee line to Bor after popping but with it aimlessly moving about it at times could scurry across multiple zones in a day or find itself stuck in the same one for about a week.

Only thing that would bug me about this thing is if it showed up at an org city raid.

As for the alien raid events I've been in typically the generals were GMs/ARKs and often wouldn't die (eventually left) or in some raids no general seemed to pop up at the end. If you got some that way then good for you but these days the reverse seems to be more true, still won't stop people from coming for them. The leets typically dropped nothing or just regular leet stuff from what I remeber, even the big ones. People still rallied to kill it.

bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfekt View Post
    HEALTH WARNING: This reply was made on equipment that also produces sarcasm. Reply may contain bits of sarcasm as a result.
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Please give us solo LE missions, FC
    Xaun's Big List O Suggestions

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast