Thread: Tech Help Resources (READ FIRST!)

Tech Help Resources (READ FIRST!)

Here are a number of resource links that are available to you to help troubleshoot your problems. Please feel free to private message 'Famine' on any new resource links that have come available and or left out of the listing.

READ FIRST
    Read this before anything else.

Main
    These are the original thread links. However, you can find the quoted posts in this thread below.

Last edited by Bekrowe; May 4th, 2008 at 05:02:31. Reason: Changed to 17.8 Patch instead of LE GUI since its more of an issue there now

Title: AO Linux HOWTO
    Author: mariusmod

Hello everyone, I hope people have been enjoying AO in Linux. I'm happy to announce that Cedega 4.1 is now available. This is the first binary release to contain the patches I submitted a few months ago. I recommend subscribing and using this release to play AO in Linux, especially for those of you who have had issues getting CVS to compile and run on your systems. There are differences between subscribing and building from CVS .

Why you should get Cedega 4.1:
    • Easier to install
    • Water and yalm textures look correct
    • Better tech support with Cedega than I can provide

Why you should not get Cedega 4.1:
    • If you have an ATI card, you wont get much improvement in AO
    • You want to continue using my script that automatically updates off of my website to provide you the latest patches, if I release any.
    • You are really broke. (How do you pay for AO? )

One thing I want to clear up--because a lot of people get hung up on the word subscription. A subscription gets you access to the Cedega bins and tech support for 3 months. At that point you can either renew or cancel, but if you cancel you can still run whatever version of Cedega you have, just not download a new one.

Yes the water is now fully textured, but it requires the FFOVS enhancements that are only in 4.1 (and only for certain nvidia cards). If this is not a big deal for you and you are already up and running with the CVS build, then you can stay as you are.

There will be some changes with the HOWTO since I expect the 4.1 release to make most of the information on it less important. I will keep it online for those who still want to build from CVS, but I will be taking advantage of the Unofficial Transgaming Wiki setup by Omega from irc. He just added an AO page and I will be moving my troubleshooting section to the wiki. Hopefully I can also add some answers to additional questions as they come up.

Anarchy Online on the Unofficial Transgaming Wiki
    Anarchy Online Linux HOWTO

Though posting here may get you a little help with some issues, it is usually much easier to help you if you swing by #cedega on irc.freenode.net

Title: Common Installation Problems
    Author: extruder

Solutions to common issues when installing Anarchy Online, particularly when using the download version:

-Running 'Setup.exe' will give you a message saying to run Install.exe. Simply double-click the 'Install.exe' file in the same folder.

-'Please insert disk 1 that contains the file data2.cab' message when you start the installation. Just browse to the folder where the downloaded files are located and select it. For example, if the files you downloaded are in a folder called 'AOInstall15.7.3_EP0_live_nointro,' browse to that folder and select it when asked for data2.cab.

-If you run Install.exe and a window pops up containing command-line parameters, or if you get the setup for a program other than Anarchy Online (e.g., video drivers), start the installation from a command prompt. Go to Start > Run, type 'cmd' and click 'OK'. Use the 'cd' command to change to the directory containing the Anarchy Online installation files. Type the following and press 'Enter': setup.exe install

Title: Corrupted Files or Patching Problems?
    Author: GM-Zixxax

Ok folks, our dedicated patching related programmer has come up with an easy-to-use tool that should hopefully help people who are having problems with their Anarchy Online installation having corrupted files, missing files, or other general problems that might occur while patching.

Uses:

1) Corrupted files error messages
    2) Missing files error messages

The tool is located here:

ftp://download.anarchy-online.com/patches/aorepair.exe

How to use:

Download the tool, and place it in your Anarchy Online directory. Run it, and make sure it properly detected the right directory for your AO installation (it it didn't, change it to the right one). Then hit "ok" and let it do its magic.

NOTE:

This tool will not work if you have an error message saying the version.id file is missing. That is a major installation problem, and must be fixed by uninstalling, deleting the AO directory, and reinstalling.

Scenario #2:

"Could not find the requested patch on any of the specified patch-servers. Please try again later. "

Initially there was a problem with the patch server. This could mean the patch server is really busy (try again in a few minutes). If you still have trouble, delete the anarchy online\patches folder and try again.

Title: Having GUI issues with the Lost Eden Expansion?
    Author: Asomadus

If you are getting errors when opening any type of new windows released in Lost Eden such as the Ofab vendors, research and vehicle windows, and any other new windows then the problem is that you had a custom GUI installed and when you patched up it did not recognize the GUI and did not make an additions or changes for Lost Eden.

If you have received any of these errors and had a custom GUI please download the attached file then extract the contents of the zip file into your Anarchy Online installation folder (typically C:\Program Files\Funcom\Anarchy Online\) it will ask if you would like to overwrite these files and you would want to click yes. This clean GUI should allow you to access the windows normally.

Please visit: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=473977

Title: How to Post in Tech Support (Unofficial Guide)
    Author: Chimihou

How to post in Tech Support
    (from a volunteer's point of view)

>> So you want to post in Tech Support?
    Volunteers are standing by to help you especially if you provide the information they need first. If you follow this guide and use it as you post a new thread here, you should get a much better response. Volunteers are doing this in their spare time and, if they are like me, can very quickly get burnt out if they have to ask for the same info each time someone opens a new thread for help. Please help the volunteers by giving this information in your initial help request.

The following short guide will help you gather info and focus your thoughts. It is far from perfect though, and is only based off of my experience and ideas. If you need help following this guide, please say so, but at least acknowledge that you did read and try to follow along. The support here is unofficial. If you want official support, please contact them at http://help.funcom.com/

*NOTE Try to leave out negative comments about the game or Funcom. That is not at all helpful.

Help Yourself

>> Searching
    The first thing to try before asking for help is Searching for answers. At the search page, type in keywords to search for and select the Tech Help forum under Search Options. You may also like to select a longer time period to search through. Try searching all threads posted a year ago or later. Next, try all dates. The key here is patience and you need to be willing and able to read and sort through threads. Please understand, more than likely, your question has been asked and addressed already in the past by others.

>> Common Issues
    Check through the rooted threads here in the Tech Help forum to see if your questions, concerns, or issues have already been discussed and dealt with. From there, you may find what you're looking for, be it a solution, workaround, or chance to continue your discussion in a thread which already pertains to your issue.

Gathering Info For Your Post

>> The Description
    Tell us what happened exactly and what you did just before experiencing the issue. Give steps if possible to reproduce the issue. Give any error messages you may receive. Be as precise and accurate as possible here during this description step. List any changes you did to your system, if any, recently. Write legibly, without using abbreviations or other forms of shorthand. Use a spell-check or dictionary. Take the time to write well. It's analogous to going to a job interview in shorts and a t-shirt instead of dressing professionally.

*NOTE Rule of thumb: We need details. We don't know anything about your computer, internet connection, network, or your level of computer knowledge. Every system, situation, and person is different, so fill us in!

>> Technical Info
    Post the contents of the log file generated by Hijack This. Hijack This is a favored tool among volunteer tech support folks. It takes the guessing game out of questions like "Do you have any programs running in the background?" This log will not only let us know what is running on your system, but could possibly let us know if you're infected with some kind of virus or trojan which is affecting performance or the stability of your system. Follow the Hijack This link above and download the program. There's a Quick Start guide on the site if you need assistance with this. All you do is run the program and press the "Scan" button. Once the program has finished scanning, the button changes to read "Save Log". Press this to be prompted to save your log file, which is really a text file. Save it to your desktop and open it in notepad. Copy and paste the entire log into your post. If nothing else, at least post the top half of the log which shows all running processes on your computer.

*NOTE This is a very simple procedure and can save us a lot of precious time and energy. It can also clue us in on other issues your system may be having.

Ready to Post

Double check your wording. Make sure everything is legible, accurate, and precise. The key is, if you don't have time to do any of the above (which doesn't take long! Come on!) then reconsider posting now. Copy and paste what you've already written to a text file and continue again when you have more time. When you're very sure of yourself and your wording, go ahead and submit the thread to the public.

Courtesies

>> Bump!
    Please don't overly 'bump' your thread. The Tech Support forum is a little different from the other more social forums. Volunteers here often check the second or third page for unanswered requests. I personally look for threads that have Zero replies. So bumping is not exactly the most helpful action you could take in some situations!

>> Be Kind
    Please be courteous to someone who's trying to help you. Don't take for granted the fact that they're not getting any compensation for their efforts other than helpful and kind responses from you.

Feedback
    If something the volunteer has you do fixes your issue, please reply to your thread and acknowledge this. Not only does this help close the issue, it also helps others who have had the same trouble as you find the right answers.
    Also, please give feedback if you find the solution on your own. Let us know what you've done exactly to help yourself.

Moderators, please do feel free to add to and edit this post! Consider this a tool.
    Warm regards to all the volunteers,
    Chimihou / Myste
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jun 14th, 2012 at 18:21:25.

Title: Is your GUI and/or text missing?
    Author: extruder

This is an issue occuring with the latest Nvidia video driver (versions 66.93 and 66.94). You'll need to install a previous driver.

Older Windows 2000/XP drivers can be downloaded here:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Older Windows 98/ME drivers are here:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html

Edit: also occurs with the 71.89 and 71.84 drivers.

Title: IMPORTANT: Playing AO through a firewall
    Author: Silirrion

New servers recently added to the live dimensions increased the ports being used by the AO client, those running the game behind firewalls may need to open up the following ports in addition to those already used by AO:

TCP ports 7500-7600

Title: Launcher pointing to the wrong dimensions?
    Author: Cz

If you have patched your live client and it now points to the test server (no dimension selection box), or the other way around, you have - for some reason - gotten the wrong dimension file.

To correct this, download the dimensionserver.url file for the dimension(s) you want to reach, and save it in the \Anarchy Online\cd_image\data\launcher folder of the client installation.

Download DimensionServer.url files here:
    To the live dimensions
    To the test dimension

Another possible cause of getting pointed to the wrong dimension:
    You are trying to connect to AO from a computer that is using an ICS on a win XP machine that has already connected to AO. In that case having all the correct dimension files won't help, you'll still get sent to test and the settings overwritten.

Easy fix: Disable the network connection on the second computer, then re-enable it and you get to play.

If this doesn't work, please contact http://help.funcom.com/
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jun 14th, 2012 at 18:21:44.