Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to stop ninja looting completly!!!

Team loot

I'm guessing the game didn't launch with the "/team loot alpha" feature? But it was added later to solve team loot problems and admitedly the game probably didn't need much more until the recent game focus change to big boss type mobs.

The loot messages were probably always an idea they liked, but there was never really a need to implement it: "/team loot" was enough for your stock old style missions even if it didn't cover the chests.

But if they start adding more static spawn drops or big boss style drops, which is where the game looks like it's going, then they're going to want to up the priority on the looting messages.

Arrow That don't fly in my book

Do you think they can just turn a switch? They have schedules to keep and strategies on when and how to pump out missions the way they want to. If they were to implement this, it would go at the END of a line of things up and coming.
    One of the big problems with AO...they put simple things every player would benefit from (loot messages, better minimap, better world map, seperate chat from battle spam, spending 5 minutes to edit existing items and nanos) at the END of the list, if at all. (reload button...lol)
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

Somehow I dont think that will stop someone wanting Tarasque loot if you where to bring this into it.

If someone wants something, they can go any to any lengths to get it.

I tried everything, and gave up. The greedy players stopped me.

So I cheated!
    ¤ Cloudeeeh “Cloudeh MKII” 120 Solitus 1HB Enforcer
    ¤ Cloudeh Dead : 176 Solitus 1HB Enforcer
    ¤ Blizzaga Dead : 96 Solitus Soldier Wannabe
    ¤ Firraga Dead : 64 Opifex “Not a Real Fixer” GA Honey
    ¤ Kjataa Dead : 53 Opifex Morphex Agent Wannabe :]
    I am a Tragic Figure
    Strenghtening, Shroud of night, Waiting weak for Taste of blood, Beneath a halo..Eternal light, I survive, Breathe on.
    Inhuman, Undying, Feast of blood now Pulse through me, Immortal..I'm undying, Eternal..Undead!

[size=0.1]C.L.O.U.D.: Cybernetic Lifeform Optimized for Ultimate Destruction[/size]

Re: That don't fly in my book

Originally posted by Mercatura

One of the big problems with AO...they put simple things every player would benefit from (loot messages, better minimap, better world map, seperate chat from battle spam, spending 5 minutes to edit existing items and nanos) at the END of the list, if at all. (reload button...lol)
    agreed.

Look at today's patch for EQ... really, go look it up and check it out. You can find it at Caster's Realm.

Now realize that they do patches like this almost every two weeks, with minor patches about once a week. Little things get fixed, big things get implemented. Some are just conveniences, but all help to make it feel like a well polished game.

I'm not saying EQ is perfect... if it were, I'd play that instead of AO. What I'm saying is that they work hard to make the game feel polished by giving a lot of options, customability, and features to the players.

As far FC turning a switch to implement will yea thats about as hard as it is. FC please listen youv want high lvl players to stop leaving and more ppl to participate in Camelot and whatever raids then implement this. So when a boss drops crap we know he drops crap. When tarasque is looted the tank team knows what was looted and they would tell the rest of the ppl inthe raid of anything strainge. How do you think a enforcer whos been in 100+ camelot raid in the tank team kills Tarasque then some guy ninjas the EoT that guy would be banned and hated and so on. Instead when that happens no one knows and that guy loots it another day and ninjas more things making honest players more discouraged the one thing they want has never dropped. One of those People is me. I like the other 14,000 enfs on rdby kai 1 want an EoT and have been in 50+ raids yet to my knowledge it hasnt dropped. With 140 new outdoor camps I know ninjas like "Pomy" for example will be out and ninjaeing anything that looks good to them. How much longer will I play AO when the one of 2 things I wont never to my knowledge drop. Not to much longer I'll tell you that.

Gmuptor Level 180 Omni enforcer of mayhem

"NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA HEEEEEY SCREW FC DING 180"

I am in the open beta for Earth & Beyond. They already have this in the code while still in beta! When you are part of a team, you see a message saying who looted what item and how many credits they may have taken off the kill.

EG:

Player1 Looted 98 credits

Player1 Looted a Kraken tail

Player2 Looted a Drone beam weapon

You looted 78 credits

Player3 Looted a x1 rocket pack

You get the idea...
    There is never any doubt...
    O b i t u s Atrox Clan Enforcer My trade skill? Smackin' stuff till it cries! Obi's Rig
    Unit Memer of S t o r m

Never Forget

E&B is open beta now? Ach I been away a long time.
    I am a Tragic Figure
    Strenghtening, Shroud of night, Waiting weak for Taste of blood, Beneath a halo..Eternal light, I survive, Breathe on.
    Inhuman, Undying, Feast of blood now Pulse through me, Immortal..I'm undying, Eternal..Undead!

[size=0.1]C.L.O.U.D.: Cybernetic Lifeform Optimized for Ultimate Destruction[/size]

Originally posted by Lucid Flow

Do you think they can just turn a switch? They have schedules to keep and strategies on when and how to pump out missions the way they want to. If they were to implement this, it would go at the END of a line of things up and coming.
    Yes. I do think its as easy as flipping a switch. All of programming is. You can easily create a game like AO by just flipping a switch. Viola! Sometimes knobs are involved, but then it gets a little too complicated. Levers? Forget about it, now you're talking rocket science.

Oh, and why would anything that increases the satisfication of the playerbase go to the bottom of the list? Seems like that should be first... make a working full-featured game, then add the content. Right now, they need to still work on the former.

But then again, all they have to do is flip the aforementioned switch, so it should really be a non-issue.

Originally posted by Danjaq

But then again, all they have to do is flip the aforementioned switch, so it should really be a non-issue.
    Uh, have you actually watched any sci-fi movies? The computers have millions of blinking lights and switches. Maybe they want to just flip on the loot message switch but they can't find it?

I mean what do you think? That these guys have labelled switches or something? It takes time to find the right switch.

lol spazzer, true. But if and when they find that dang switch, I hope to heck they flip it. Maybe even put a sticky on it for future reference. I should send FC a label maker kit.

While they're at it, and if they can find it again, they might as well flip the "Lag in Tir" switch to the off position.

OK, if you can code something like this with the snap of a finger, go to it maybe you should ask FC if they're hiring, they can use computer geniuses like you.

/sarcasm off

Now beck to earth...you're forgetting your one switch is tied into every other switch in the game...it's tied into the chat client, the loot coding, the gui-chat interface, the item database..it's a cascade..touching one thing could easily cause problems elsewhere. No I'm not excusing it, this is somethign FC just needs to happen..I just hate when people go spouting off "Oh it's just one line of code" It's NEVER just one line.
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

Talking

KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOP UNTIL WE HEAR SOMETHING FROM FC.

edit: I WANT THE SAME THING FOR BOXES. TEAM CHAT MESSAGE OF WHAT WAS PICKED BY WHO.

peace all.
    If everything is coming your way, your in the wrong lane.

Arrow

I think editing existing items takes 5 minutes, if that. Unless they keep it on a 15 year old tape backup or something

Who here thinks it takes a lot of time? Cmon, hold your hand up.

Now, those of you with your hands up...let me smack you.

If they don't have an in-house tool (or part of a bigger tool etc) for adding, removing and editing items in their database...

I'd be beyond speechless if that were true.

I have a strong feeling the reason some items take months or um a year to edit (aka fix) has nothing to do with programming and everything to do with how FC operates as a company. For all we know it takes a week of meetings to approve one item change.

GUI, interface, mob/pet AI etc those all obviously take real work. But fixing some friggin' objects in a database isn't rocket science.

You're right, some of the things mentioned aren't just one line of code. They're just errors in a database
    Last edited by Mercatura; Sep 7th, 2002 at 01:35:35.
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

You just have to wonder what goes on over at FC.
    As for adding stats to nanos.

Dude:Okay guys we have a big task for you to do, you have to add 1he and 2he to the Brutal thug and Headcracker nanos on the Enforcer.

Dev: NO ****ING WAY!
    Dude: Dude!
    Dev: Dude!

Dude: K' Bye.
    Dev: omg...Omg...Hold me... I cant. I cant OPEN THE EDITOR AND ADD SOME WORDS!

I doubt its that hard :P
    Seriously, I reckon any decent person here could edit an item give them time, a week maybe? :P
    I am a Tragic Figure

Yes make this this sticky. I'm glad about all your responses recently last T raid , I an atrox yes an atrox ninjaed from the opposing side a Gaily Painted Hood we are in a war and this thread will be killed now because of that. But I did it for omni , I had a heartattack while waiting to loot it soi will be hospitalized for a few weeks. but i got the goods baby woohoo!!!! Clan now say I will be killed even if 50 omni are around first , finally somerespect hugs and kisses

Gmuptor Lvl 180 enforcer with a hood woooohooo

Dev time

Originally posted by Kasimir
    Now beck to earth...you're forgetting your one switch is tied into every other switch in the game...it's tied into the chat client, the loot coding, the gui-chat interface, the item database..it's a cascade..touching one thing could easily cause problems elsewhere. No I'm not excusing it, this is somethign FC just needs to happen..I just hate when people go spouting off "Oh it's just one line of code" It's NEVER just one line.
    Well, actually if you think about it there's already a function or something to print a link to an item into the chat interface. I mean, I can already manually plop an item link into team chat, so that part doesn't need to be written.

You could probably toss a one liner into the code where the loot gets moved from the corpse to a player's inventory. Say, something like:

if(oPlayer->has_team()) { team_chat(oPlayer, oPlayer->get_name() + " has looted item: " + oItem->get_link() + "\n") }

Figure 15 mins for the lead to tell the programmer to code it in, 2 or 3 hours of the programmer reading Slashdot, 5 mins to code it in, then 40 hours and 2 patches to figure out why items are sometimes randomly poofing when players loot.

Piece of cake man.

Bump it up till a dev or CZ/Cosmik responds

Yes, Kasimir, as a former programmer I honestly believe that this is one of those changes that should not be too earth shattering. Like a previous poster mentioned, this is not reprogramming bot AI or anything like that. Obviously I do not know how this particular game is actually coded. Perhaps it is such a mess that this type of change would affect everything else. I seriously doubt it, however. I'd give FC more credit than that.

If it is too difficult to put a statement in the chat-box about what was just looted should the looter be in a team, I would like the developers to say so. As there is no way of knowing whether FC is even considering this idea, it would be nice if a dev could just say that they're considering it. Until then... I will bump this dang thread.
    Last edited by Danjaq; Sep 8th, 2002 at 01:09:30.

Danjaq i agree completely and Cz , Cosmik , Blackmane if this idea has been passed to devs plz give us a progress report.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast