Thread: Report: Mutant Grass on Rubi-Ka

Post Report: Mutant Grass on Rubi-Ka

((OOC:: Scientific accuracy has not been a consideration in this report. Also subject to editing.))

I, Kheana Khellar, am pleased to publish and present the results of my most recent researches into the effects of ADG (Alien Death Goo) on native Rubi-Kan grasses. Please feel free to write with your questions and requests for autographed portraits of yours truly. All rights reserved. For further information, please contact RUR Development Department. I really must get on to other things.

Final Report on Mutant Grass on Rubi-Ka (Most specifically, RUR City Lawn)
    by: Kheana Khellar

Due to the number of Aliens killed in the confines of RUR City, there has been a large quantity of ADG (Alien Death Goo) spilled on the grounds. The ADG is then transferred from the killing site to other parts of the City on the shoes or clothing of the combatants. After examining a sample of ADG, I find that it contains chemical not known in any naturally occurring form on our dear planet of Rubi-Ka or in the Shadow Lands but closely resembling various alkylators which react with certain types of bases, reacting to form certain modified residues which have the ability to stimulate repair errors in DNA/cell replication. I have, as is the custom in scientific circles, claimed the right as first observer of naming this chemical Kheannaniguanidine (KNG).

Saturation of RUR City grasses by ADG allows the KNG to penetrate the cell walls and effect a change in the DNA of exposed grasses causing them to mutate, the nature of which I observed as follows.

Under 40x magnification I noticed that small ciliate protrusions were present at the outer margin of the grass blade. One may note movement of these protrusions which resembles the synchronized motion of a millipod type insect's legs.

Upon further magnification, I found that these cilia are somewhat bulbous at one end and tipped with what appear to be rather small, but quite voluptuous, green lips. Investigation proves the lips to surround a toothless mouth. Further investigation reveals no oculation of any sort or reaction to very bright flashes of light. Neither did I find evidence of auditory organs or reaction to very loud sounds. This leads me to believe that the full extent of sensory input is restricted to taste and touch. The olfactory sense may also be presumed present as it is closely related to taste and may involve the same organ.

I proceeded to prod about the specimen on my slide and saw that, when my hand was in close proximity, the cilia would tend to lean toward it. I then laid down my prod and, in a display of unequaled bravery, slowly moved my fingertip toward the specimen. As my right forefinger drew closer, the leaning of the cilia became more pronounced and the cilia began a kissing motion in the air toward my fingertip.

In a repeat of the fingertip exercise, I chanced to use my left forefinger. The cilia leaned toward my fingertip, then away, showing no more interest. This puzzled me until I realized that I had shaken the hand of a Solitus earlier. I recalled that his hand had been slightly damp and it led me to discover that a residue of Solitus sweat was still on my right hand. I immediately rushed to wash and disinfect my hands. I made the assumption that the cilia were drawn to the Solitus's sweat and have since been proven correct.

In subsequent experiments, I have discovered that the mutant grass responds to the presence of any mammalian sweat which contains potassium. I believe they are drawn to various sweats in varying degrees depending on the concentration of potassium. I am maintaining my lab specimens quite satisfactorily on bronto sweat.

However, an inadvertent discovery was made as I carried a 1cm specimen of the mutant grass between my home lab and the bio-lab at Omni-Med. I happened to pass an Atrox and, much to my surprise, the grass in my petri-dish began to quiver and I heard a very faint crackle or buzz or something between.

Arriving at the lab I immediately placed the specimen under a micro-viewer. The specimen was quiet and acting in a manner I had observed to be normal. I swabbed the forearm of a passing Atrox and brought it close to the specimen. The cilia began to move so enthusiastically that it imparted motion (a quiver) to the blades of grass and I again heard that faint noise. I amplified the sound within the bio-container and heard a cacophony of kisses. It seemed cruel not to allow them the Atrox sweat swab. Their little lips pressed against the cotton and they noisily (for them) smacked their way to satiety without harming a single fluff of cotton. I did note, however, that the swab was quite dry and fresh afterward.

In conclusion I have determined that the mutant grass can be classified as a harmless, sweat-sucking plant. As nano-mages do not sweat and Opifex's sweat very little, there is little about them to cause unwanted attraction from mutant grass. I have also determined that the cilia have neither sufficient length or strength to penetrate standard clothing thus negating any sense of threat to other life forms. In addition, I have found them useful in removing sweat stains from upholstery and clothing without damaging the cloth, providing one does not sit on, step on, smoosh or otherwise crush the mutant grass as it works which would obviously result in grass stains.
    Last edited by Taddi; Apr 9th, 2007 at 06:05:23.

Report: Control/Eradication of Mutant Grass

Final report: Control/eradication of Mutant Grasses
    by: Kheana Khellar

Pursuant of my most fascinating studies of the mutant grasses I have conducted a series of quite clever experiments to determine the most effective methods of controlling or eradicating said grasses.

In my couargeous quest I have tried a number of chemical compounds, some quite unpleasant, which have proved successful in the control and/or eradication of other diagreeable plant or plant-like life. Though these chemical compounds were effective in eliminating the mutant grasses, they also eradicated the native Rubi-Kan grass as well.

My experiments with explosives, flamethrowers, shovels and various other tools, both military and agricultural, bore the same results as the chemical compounds tried. i.e.; the complete and successful eradication of the mutant grass as well as any native flora and/or fauna in the vicinity.

I then decided to allow my most brilliant mind to wrap itself around the problem from another angle and discovered the usefulness of DNA targeted nanites. These small machines can be programmed to... ah... "eat" an item which contains a specific gene sequence. In the case of the mutant grasses the changed DNA is so radically different from native Rubi-Kan flora that the programming was elementary in it's complexity.

Having programmed a batch of nanites to seek and destroy the mutant gene and then, if no other mutation had been located within a period of 180 seconds, to terminate, I loosed a small horde of these nanites upon a mixture of native RK grass and mutant grass within a bio-containment chamber which Omni-Med so kindly donated the use of (not that I can hardly be resisted when I choose to be charming). I watched for the specified period of 180 seconds in which time part of the grass was completely removed. Upon inspection within the next 5 minutes I found that the grasses remaining showed no sign of mutation and the nanites had become inactive, as per their programming.

In summary, I believe that my selfless dedication and natural brilliance have achieved a safe and effective method of controlling or eradicating these mutant grasses while maintaining the natural flora of Rubi-Ka undamaged. (I do rather like the little grasses, though. The leave things smelling so fresh.)
    Last edited by Taddi; Apr 9th, 2007 at 06:09:25.

Since you've tried fire, is it possible that we can smoke this mutated grass - after a suitable period and drying, not to mention cutting it in smaller pieces and wrapping it in something?
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams