Thread: Second Whompa To The Right And Straight On Till Morning

Second Whompa To The Right And Straight On Till Morning

The door slid open, slowly at first, bearing the weight of years of inactivity. The dry smell of dust seized her at once, but she didn't even wrinkle her nose. For too long she had been breathing only the damp, heavy air of the Shadowlands; such a puny detail could not bother her any more.

Inside, it was dark and cold. Nobody had entered the vast apartment since she had left, and the thick dust covering the floors bore no traces of feet, save for her own when she finally walked into the corridor, letting the door close again with a wheezy sound. At some point during her absence, the cleaning droids had just stopped working, and the system, in the absence of any owner, had never picked up again. She had left a mess when she had departed; she was now facing a dirty mess.

She didn't swear, didn't flinch, didn't frown in disgust. Her eyes, quiet and dark, wandered for a moment on this place she failed to really recognize as her own. She paused and blinked. The ghosts that still lived there could only recoil when facing her deep gaze. The chiming laughter of a child. Words of love and comfort. Meetings held around the table. Weird experiments in the kitchen. Again, she blinked, and they vanished, leaving only silence and darkness.

The woman dropped her bag onto the ground; she was already walking forward, leaving behind her the items that had been her only companions there, beyond the Portal. Life had fled from the apartment a long time ago, but its echoes still remained nonetheless, ready to be wakened up by the slightest stir of a memory. She wouldn't have it -- not this way. She hadn't come back to face the same old shadows. She had been half-sick of shadows, of those shadows.

There were the chairs, the low tables, the bathroom, the bedroom, too, where she had slept, where she had loved him, where she had talked at length with her daughter. Her voice didn't quiver when she quietly spoke the command to open the heavy shutters; a minute later, rays of sun poured down into the room, unveiling more dust, revealing the remnants of a painful past. Electronic notebooks thrown on the ground. Clothes spread on the bed. A Leet stuffed doll on a chest of drawers. Near it, a simple, golden ring in its little box, the same ring that had once adorned her hand. A mirror, surrounded by dozens of holo-pictures, the copies of which she had taken with her, recorded in her Grid-unit, yet never looked at any more in the past months.

Those were yours.

"Those were mine," she repeated aloud, fancying the sound of her own voice. Once upon a time, sadness, regrets and despair had marred it. Now, in the deep silence, it sounded like someone else's. Seldom had she had an opportunity to talk in the dark lands, save for the odd encounter with Traders to buy them some food.

She took a few steps to look in the mirror, and there she stood for a long time, contemplating her pale face, her lithe body made more muscular by two long years of trekking in the cursed wilderness of Elysium and Scheol. Her dark hair had grown longer, hastily braided in her back for the sole purpose of keeping it out of the way; the two white locks framing her cheeks and pointy chin were still here, too, perhaps thicker than before. She cocked her head right, then left, peering at the reflection of those deep eyes in front of her. Her very own eyes. She wore no makeup any more, and only now was she starting to realize how dirty she looked, in her armor soiled with blood, dust and black earth. She hadn't cared back then, not every day, at least.

"Something's... wrong," she whispered, marvelling at the move of her pale lips in the mirror.

She wiped her face with a corner of her old cloak, and stepped closer to the mirror to examine her features again. The holo-pictures caught her attention, and she reached for a few of them.

A young woman, her hair definitely matching her own, clad in the black uniform of the Omni-InternOps department. On a second picture, another woman, an Opifex, this time, bearing white streaks in her long hair; her arm was playfully tugged under that of a scowling, bald, ageing man in a trenchcoat. A third picture - a tiny Opifex girl, perhaps ten or twelve years old; behind it, the small data-disc containing a copy of her marks at school.

She kept silent. A fourth picture. A man with short spiky hair and tatoos on his cheeks. Him. She had shed tears of grief and despair on that picture on the cliffs of Nascence. She had mourned his disappearance near the glassy pools of Elysium. And then, time had washed away the old wounds, wrapping the painful memories behind a thin yet solid veil of understanding and acceptance.

For the first time since she had entered the apartment, the woman smiled, as if slowly remembering how to make her face perform such an act. In the mirror, her image changed as well.

"I know. I look older. On tha pictures," she said at last.
    You didn't have many reasons to smile, in the end.
    "I hope I'll have some. I wanna smile again."
    Oh, but you're already doing a very decent job.
    "Hope so."

She shrugged, then slid the corners of the pictures back behind the mirror's frame. Again, memories stirred in her heart, and for a second, she froze, fearing that they'd bring back with them her old lot of tears. But her heart kept quiet, her gaze remained steady, her smile didn't drop. She understood, and let out a very slight sigh.

She had put herself to the test by coming back here, for she would have had to do it sooner or later. And now, she knew for sure that she had won. A victory over herself, over her past, over the darkest times she had ever gone through. Many things had happened, things she would maybe recall someday, if anyone was ever to ask her; learning had been hard and painful at times, and surprisingly easier at others. And when she had looked into the abyss...

She let go of the pictures. Someday, she'd have to put them away – not to get rid of them, but to leave room for new memories, new pictures, new facts, new smiles.

"That place's is in a mess. Think our housework-droids are still under warranty?"
    You bought them from RUR, right?
    "Yeah."
    So they're probably not.
    "Oh. Well. I'll hafta try my hand at hacking their catalogue, then. Drop Charissa my visit card."
    You're so considerate.

The smile came back, turned to a grin. An old grin, her old grin. By the Grid, what a dirty girl, there, facing her in the mirror! It didn't matter in the Xan ruins, but now she wanted to see what she had become without a layer of filth and dust in the way.

I know what you think.
    "Mmh. But not now. That place needs more cleaning than I. An' I have something else to do first. By tha way, ya wouldn't remember where I dropped my Yalm keys? Or where I docked that stupid plane, even?"

((Yeah, well, I'm back. You can tell from the length of my posts. Sure, I won't be able to be here every day – the problem with wanting to take a national competitive exam is that you need to prepare for it three years in advance. But a RL friend wanted to try the game, I offered to be her guide in n00b island, and... and I realized I really wanted to give AO a try again. Even if I'm so completely lost regarding all the changes that happened while I was away.

So... Hello, old friends. Yes, you, in the corner, from "my" old days, if you're still here. As for the others, I hope we'll get to meet soon. After all, here's a former InternOps operative ready to resume duty. Omni-Tek prevails. ))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Hayley sat at her desk, going through some gridpapers. Menial tasks, really. It had been a lot of that lately. Hell, the last few years had been boring compared to when she started out. She would sometimes miss her old job, even if looking at her and Tua's son made it all worth it. The toddler was in daycare now, in one of the best daycare centers in the corporation. It had cost them all the favors they could pull from contacts with friends in high places, but it was well spent favors. He was the smartest little man she knew, even at his tender two years.

Sighing deeply, she looked back at her monitor and continued her work.

A loud beep drove her attention away from it again. She tilted her head. Another beep.

'That's odd,' she thought. It wasn't a sound she expected to hear. Not that. She glanced at the monitoring feed that would devulge the information. A second, then a third beep, louder now, and then finally interrupted by the soft voice of her data reader.

"Security Breach" it blared. Once, twice...until she finally picked up the feed tool and clicked open the message. Her eyes went blank. It couldn't be. She stood up and pushed her chair away, glancing out the window. Without spending another second, she ran into the bedroom, more or less ripped off her clothes, found and got into her InternOps suit. In swift movements, she deftly clipped the belt on, the enforced boots and pulled her long hair back in a pony tail. She unlocked her weapon cabinet and pulled out her standard issued pistol, two clips and secured them in their holster.

Glancing around the room one last time, the tapped her comlink and hastily recorded a message for Tua to pick up their son on his way home, that she was going out on work business and couldn't be sure when to be home.

Her slim fingers checked that her Omni-InternOps ID was clearly visible on her suit and then she left the apartment. She knew exactly where she was going, and she was going there in a hurry.

Left on the table inside her home was the feed monitor, still blinking the warning message.

"Unidentified presence detected. Surveillance point 2432-B. Private home of InternOps operative Jenae Markarian. Exert extreme caution."

((Welcome back! ))

(( Wooo! Another ebil Omni-Tek InternOps person to piss off! *giggles*
    Welcome back ))
    Kaylee "Sary" Lykin - Fixer
    "Syree" - Shade
    Member of The Mockers

((Ah, it's nice to know that girl already has enemies... again!

Thank you. Now to find my marks in this vast world...))

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

She stood near the Grid terminal in the appartment. How many times had she cursed the containment field over Jobe, forcing her to use that small machine, instead of running her own programs to dive into the blue! She yearned for more, indeed, even for the pain of feeling her body turned to shreds under the assault of a hasty evacuation algorithm, for it would mean being reunited with what she had never forgotten – the streams of data, the silent paths, and the wide, wide network, the vessel of so many minds and memories.

She decided she didn't want to wait; she would do it now. She raised her hand, ready to open the control panel that would allow her to specify settings for her Dive.

Then she heard the noise.

She froze, her eyes widening almost imperceptibly. There was a presence behind the door. Nobody was supposed to be here. Herself wasn't supposed to be here, and she hadn't talked to anyone since she had exited the Portal.

Two years spent in the most dangerous of places had sharpened reflexes she thought she had forgotten at first. Obeying her instincts, she dashed to where she had dropped her bag, reached for the gun strapped to it, unfastened the clippings of the holster. One couldn't take the time to reflect upon the probability of an attack when a huge Eremite clawed at her from behind. One couldn't even take the time to think at all.

The door slid open a second time. She unlocked the safety, and turned in a swift move, as silent as a shadow, her cloak swinging around her, her gaze now completely blank.

The whole operation hadn't taken two seconds.

She pointed the gun, her finger already twitching on the trigger, ready to fire at the intruder.

Another gun was raised, its mouth aimed straight at her head in what had probably been a sheer reflex as well.

And in the deep silence and darkness of the corridor, a pair of brown eyes met a pair of blue eyes, as Jen Markarian and Hayley Dinnen faced each other.
    Last edited by Demenzia; Mar 15th, 2007 at 07:15:43.

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Her heart was pounding as she stood outside the door only moments before she moved in. 'Get a grip, Hayley!' she scolded herself. It had been far too long since she had been out on a solo operation, and this time it was closer to home than she was used to. Someone was breaking into Jen's abandonded apartment.

The thought seemed to cool her head and she used her Vector Blue administrator card to unlock the door. There was an ever so slight click as she pushed the door open just a little. Hayley hoped the burglars were too preoccupied with stealing to notice her. For a moment, she considered calling Omni-Pol to alert them she'd be bringing in criminals, but she refrained.

Counting to three, she pushed the door open, her pulse racing, her gun raised high and her senses as keen as ever before. She took one step inside the apartment, saw a shadow flicker and calculated the aim and next move, her finger starting to squeeze the trigger.

And then she saw the face she thought she'd never see again. Hayley blinked once, to make sure she wasn't seeing things. But no...there she stood. Jen, in flesh and blood, her characteristic black coat still swiveling around her legs from the momentum of throwing herself around the corner. Her pistol was aiming straight for Hayley's heart, her own pistol aiming for Jen's head.

An eerie silence fell over the hallway as both women stood transfixed for several seconds, until Hayley drew a sharp breath, clicked the safety on and threw down her gun, blinking at the woman she had known as her best and closest friend as well as her chief executive in Vector Blue.

Finally, she managed to speak, a half-croak escaping her dry throat. She could have said a lot of emotionally powerful things, expressed her surprise over seeing her friend again, walked the three steps over to her and embraced her or even raged in anger over having been left to dry a couple of years back. She could have said or done any of these things to welcome Jen back, yet all she managed was

"Your hair looks different..."

She didn't move, didn't blink. Her finger still trembled on the trigger, as the realization was slowly sinking in. She couldn't go on. She couldn't fire that deadly bullet.

Don't shoot. It's Hayley.
    Don't shoot.
    Don't shoot.

She kept on staring at the slim Opifex for what seemed like an eon of uncertainty. Finally, raising her other hand in a conscious effort, she managed to fight her reflexes, and clicked the safety on again. Her fingers then found her wrist, forcing it to lower the gun toward the ground, slowly. If she wasn't able to let go of it completely yet, at least she wouldn't be a threat to her former colleague any longer.

Her shoulders slumped sightly, relaxing. Jen remembered. Hayley wouldn't harm her. Her body language, her promptness to come here, told her that much. She wasn't sure of what to do, though. She had left in such a turmoil, such a hurry; her despair had made her forget all promises. She didn't know any more what words would soothe her old friend, or trigger her anger instead.

"Your hair looks different..."

The voice was coarse, tinged with conflicting hints of emotion. That, too, she remembered. She remembered a very emotional Jen, one who kept on struggling with inner demons all the time, who in the end couldn't tell dreams from reality. It was like watching the life of another person, one she couldn't be any more. Maybe Hayley wouldn't like this. Maybe it didn't matter.

"...Ain't 'ny good hair-dresser in tha Garden o' Shere," the Fixer managed to whisper. It was probably something the old Jen would have said – as good a way as another to break the heavy silence.

Yes. It is.

Then only did she realize.

She removed her glasses, the ones she had taken to wear to protect her eyes from the deadly winds of Scheol, and looked to Hayley with a deepening, thoughtful gaze.

"But... How did ya know? Dun't tell me ya kept an eye on here... all that time?"

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Her head felt like a vortex, swirling around slowly, making her nauseous. She didn't know what to say and felt happy, angry, sad, confused and embarrassed all at the same time. Yes, she had kept the apartment under surveillance, just in case...just in case.

"Yeah. Yes. Sorry, I just didn't want burglars here or some stranger to take over. All your things were here still, and I didn't know how long you'd be gone, but I know you packed and left right after you sent me the message. I figured you'd just be gone on some vacation so I've authorized the maintenance cost to be drawn from Vector's bank account while you've been gone and I kept the place under surveillance in case..."

She realised she was blabbering.

"...in case it wasn't you who came back."

She frowned. Damnit, why was this so difficult and awkward? The two of them had been like sisters, thinking the same, doing the same, supplementing each other's abilities. When Jen struggled with her inner turmoil, Hayley was there for her. When Arielle passed away, Jen was there for Hayley. They had been both strong and weak together.

Yet...it had been two years. Her life was different now, and surely so was Jen's. At least she looked different. Hayley herself was married and had a son, Kane, now. All the present and all the past couldn't make Hayley lose the awkward feeling. She cleared her throat and leaned down to pick up the gun she had thrown to the floor in shock over almost having shot Jen.

"...I should leave, let you find your bearings and...yeah, I should leave. I'm stationed at the 21st grid surveillance unit in Rome Blue now. If you want to stop by some time, I mean."

Straightening out her uniform then double checking her badge was in place, a habit she had grown into during her Vector Blue training, Hayley gave Jen a brief smile, then moved towards the door.
    Last edited by Tussa; Mar 17th, 2007 at 23:13:43.

In case it wasn't you who came back.

Again, the words took a few seconds to sink in, a few seconds during which Jen simply kept looking at Hayley, at her gaze that was now betraying even more confused and conflicting feelings. She knew she had to say something, interrupt her tirade, yet part of herself was also fascinated – fascinated at finding her old friend like she had left her, with her temper and her way of throwing her thoughts at her in such a way.

But I was the one who came back, Jen thought. It didn't win, in tha end. I dunno how, but I came back.

Something stirred in the depths of her heart, again, waking up after months of lying dormant. She had been so frightened, at the time, so fearful of her friend's reaction. Before stepping back through the Portal, she had even prepared herself to rejection, to meeting a wall of resentment. She did deserve it, after all, after the promises she had broken.

Holidays? Because she thinks we've gone on fricking holidays?

His tone was half-amused; a very thin, slight smile appeared at the corner of her lips. Hayley didn't hate her, and had never done. Yes, she had been hurt. Yes, both of them would have to carefully pick up the bits that were left here and there. But there was no hate in there, no strong barrier that would forever remain. One didn't keep checking on her friend's apartment for two years if one's only feeling left was hate and resentment.

She kept silent for a few more long seconds. Hayley was now picking her gun, straightening her uniform. The old Vector Blue uniform. She hadn't forgotten.

No hate. Anger, yes. Confusion, yes. Sadness, yes. Hope that things could start again, yes. But no hate. It was the main, the most important point. She didn't hate her.

"I'll be there", Jen finally whispered, never letting her gaze off Hayley.

There was a pause, another long gaze. Jen, standing where she was, unmoving, as if the slightest gesture would have broken the moment. Hayley, her tight little smile still on her lips, her body already half-turned toward the door.

She couldn't tell her to stay anyway, not in that mess, and not after the shock of almost shooting each other out of surprise and wariness. But she would go. She had expected all of her old friends and acquaintances to be gone, braced herself for that fact, to make sure that she wouldn't let herself be affected once again by external circumstances. Now, after finding out that at least one of those that had been dear to her heart was still offering a hand, she couldn't do otherwise.

"I'll be there," she repeated. "I'll be there. And that's not a promise. That's tha way it'll be."

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

The shadows were lengthening over the banks of the Stret River. In the darkening sky, the huge mass of one of the Goliath-class battlestations partially hid the large disc of the moon. There would likely be an attack, soon, and in the nearby bases and cities, everyone was already on the alert. She had taken her gun with her, strapped on her back ; she might be able to lend a hand, perhaps.

I close my eyes,
    Only for a moment, and the moment's gone
    All my dreams,
    Pass before my eyes, a curiosity

The woman stood still in her old armor and half-torn brown-grey cloak, pressing a handful of flowers against her heart. They were pale and delicate things, born on shores that had always known the light of the Vortex, never of the twin suns, and they would wither away in a matter of hours now.

Dust in the wind,
    All they are is dust in the wind

A few steps before her, a rusty ferry was still docked. It didn't seem like anyone had used it in years; nevertheless, no matter how battered they were, she held a particular fondness for those old vehicles. After a while, as silent as the surrounding shadows, she climbed on the bridge, reached for the half-torn roof, and knelt on the other side, watching the dark waters softly whisper under her. She laid the flowers in front of her on the metal; a song floated on her lips, one she had deciphered in the ruins, months ago, and closing her eyes, she dropped the flowers in the water, one after the other.

Same old song,
    Just a drop of water in an endless sea
    All we do,
    Crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

One for Malcom, who had made her the happiest woman in the world, as well as the saddest one.
    One for little Lemmy, who had seen her as a mother rather than just a mere operative.
    One for Raquel, the sister turned enemy, whom she never had managed to hate, though time had finally severed their ties in spite of all their promises.
    One for Mommy, even, who had taught her the price of silence and the power of fists, in her little hovel in the slums of Omni-1.

Ah, no flower for me, then?
    She shook her head. "Flowers are only fer those who've gone away."

She paused for a few seconds, then took the rest of the bouquet, raised her hand again, and watched the flowers, one after the other, delicately reach the waters that would maybe take them to the faraway ocean.

"This one's fer o-nee-chan," she added in a soft whisper. "Because she trusted ya. This one's fer tha Vector folks an' tha old IC crew, because they trusted me. That's fer SPARTA, who gave me a chance. And fer Raquel, who's once been my sister."

Dust in the wind,
    All we are is dust in the wind

She went on, her soft voice barely betraying any emotion. Dartagnan and his kind wife, who had offered her a place in Division 9 after SPARTA's demise. Kasimir and their endless jokes about sake and breaking into each other's apartments. Doncarnage, whom she had hated as well as needed to rely on in times of need.

Don't hang on,
    nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
    It slips away,
    all your money won't another minute buy

The litany of names seemed endless to her ears, yet she knew she had to let them go, all of them, the way she thought she had done, yet had in fact never managed to. Sezmra. Bonefish. Xyrnyx. Jaggors. Zikrah. Merryman. Ammicus. Mymir. Swiftmind. Chrysallys. Mirkle. Demongun. Silentwraith. Sgzany. Moradus. Arimathea. Nashka. Tuxx. Rizzior. And the others. The others. All the others...

Dust in the wind,
    All we are is dust in the wind

The flowers disappeared, swallowed by the oily flow. She listened to the murmurs of the wind around her, playing in her hair and cloak. It was time to go home, whatever that word meant, wherever home was to be found nowadays. It was time to sleep in a real bed, and more importantly, to free herself from that shell forged in the depths of the shadows. Nameless, faceless, she had been nothing more than a weary traveller there. However, she had a name of her own, and in the end, she didn't feel like discarding it. She would find it again, as well as find her place in the new order of things.

She raised her pale face to the infinite sky. Blossoms of fire were now exploding in it, and she looked a them for a moment, a tiny witness of what was probably yet another aerial attack on an ICC shuttle from the Morningstar.

"Time ta go, old friend," she said at last, turning away from the Stret. "I wanna sleep a lil' before doing it."
    So you've decided. It's for tomorrow.
    "Yeah. Tomorrow, I'll go to tha city. And I'll see her. Cuz she dun't hate me."

With those words, she extended her arms, contemplating her gloved fingers and palms, feeling around her the discrete yet always present cloud of nanobots, silently whirling, industrious little bugs continuously at work. From the depths of her mind, she recalled the old program, the one she had never ceased to love. It would always make her suffer; it would also fill her with glee.

>>>Initiating Reckless Digitization<<<

In that part of the world, she ceased to be. Only the dark waters and silent banks remained.

((Lyrics ©Kansas, Dust In The Wind))
    Last edited by Demenzia; Apr 5th, 2007 at 14:16:19.

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --