Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soldiers confuse me

soldiers confuse me

so i stole my fixer's css today and threw it on my 218 sold. popped in a couple betas, a 288 hd leg i had lying around, etc. fairly cookiecutter generic assautrifle sold, definitely nothing to write home about, but not gimp by any stretch of the imagination.

anyway, did a round of bs and was thoroughly confused. what exactly can solds kill reliably? how exactly am i to play a sold? i have done extensive pvp with fixer and fp enf agent, both extremely mobile profs. in contrast playing sold feels clunky. like getting out of a lotus to drive an abrams. not having rs or instant cc removal is REALLY tough to adjust to :/ are there ways of mitigating these effects (aside from FM stims)

i'll be playing sold for the next while trying to get a feel for it, but i'm not quite sure what my role is and how i should be approaching what profs. who should i run from? who should i run at? who should ignore?

also, do how much benefit do solds get out of MR? and if it's worth it do i give up PiN or CoHA for it? (ai 21)

so, soldiers, wat do?

Kill all the engi dogs you see. No need for MR if dodge pwners land. CH block + better social + aimedshot + /wave = you haz kills!

I got my soldier to level 50 so I know a lot.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

dodge pwners won't land on anything worth landing them on with my piddly 3.1k ar :/

MR it is lol.
    Last edited by Lackofgravy; Aug 29th, 2012 at 17:20:03.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

get 3.6k AR

approach evade class, use FA, Burst, pop DOF timer, AMS, try to use dodge debuffs. Try again when DOF timer pops, use FA, burst, queue perks, burst again, wait till 1/3 HP, FA dead.

for any healing prof, CH blocker, +spam damage.

For engies, kill dog and kite hard spamming perks on engi.

for traders, use dodge debuffs early+kill

for crat, try to get em low HP as fast as you can so they panic and pop more def CD's than needed, try to stay still and use all add dmg buffs, normals will land regularly and do decent damage, spam specials when up, use weapon bash with all add dmg perks up. swap to supernova to finish.
    Last edited by McKnuckleSamwich; Aug 30th, 2012 at 00:44:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    what exactly can solds kill reliably?
    Greenies.
    220/30/70 Atrox Soldier ..::.. Experienced Hunter Shoorty Fearme Movie 1 2 3
    220/30/70 Nanomage Agent ..::.. Neophyte Prince Fedez
    150/20/42 Atrox Enforcer ..::.. Rookie Duel Pheddex Please

- SEMPER FIDELIS -

Solds need a CC breaker. Every non-CC profession needs a CC breaker. Why do all CC professions have CC removal tools while also being ranged professions?

A short Rage without the defensive boosts and perhaps blocking HD ( to prevent kiting and healing like enforcers should not be allowed to do) would probably make a huge difference. Both my soldiers have a hell of a time dealing with any type of CC or kiters, let alone even getting to the combat.

so, soldiers, wat do?
    Play smarter than ur opponent. And thats not a joke.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Its not the size of your boat that counts, but your motion in the ocean does.

Here for proof.
    Posted by Seventh: Has something to do with the fact that RL speaking im 172 sm high and weight 96 kg, all of which come in muscle form (and guessing your reaction about forum pvp, yes i can log into webcam )

Said the pixels lol..

The ocean and the motion and the lotion

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The ocean and the motion and the lotion
    But the motion of your ocean says small craft advisory. So if I capsize on your thigh's high tide, B5 you sunk by battleship, please turn me on I'm mister Coffee with an automatic drip.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    get 3.6k AR

approach evade class, use FA, Burst, pop DOF timer,
    Stop right there! What if they root you and keep rooting you until ams is down, using los? Or whatif you can't land anything despite having 3800 static AR?

for any healing prof, CH blocker, +spam damage.
    Whatif they root you or if they use heals other than ch?

For engies, kill dog and kite hard spamming perks on engi.
    Very funny. I've yet to see a single soldier beat a decent engi, ever.

for traders, use dodge debuffs early+kill
    A good trader will beat a good soldier without MR nearly 100% of the time in a non duel situation.

for crat, try to get em low HP as fast as you can so they panic and pop more def CD's than needed, try to stay still and use all add dmg buffs, normals will land regularly and do decent damage, spam specials when up, use weapon bash with all add dmg perks up. swap to supernova to finish.
    Whatif they keep you rooted?

^ summary of the problems i've been having in bs lately ^^

So after seeing the soldiers confuse me thread I did some bs and had a good time with it. That was till they realized wtf am I doing dying to a soldier that can take over half my hp in specials alone when I can root him and instagib em once his ams is done. Not quite that dramatic but I'd be willing to trade my aao proc for a deroot/desnare proc.
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Stop right there! What if they root you and keep rooting you until ams is down, using los? Or whatif you can't land anything despite having 3800 static AR?

Whatif they root you or if they use heals other than ch?

Very funny. I've yet to see a single soldier beat a decent engi, ever.

A good trader will beat a good soldier without MR nearly 100% of the time in a non duel situation.

Whatif they keep you rooted?
    To the top one, use a DOF timer. and if they LOS you, play tactical tag with them and use not-in-combat kits
    To the second one, I think that only works on agents, docs, no idea... but doc roots will only last 3 seconds if you pop an FM
    To the 3rd, ohya, engies are painful (hardcounter to solds :/)

Traders are tricky. I think you have to be tabbing and spamming tracer etc so they are allready firing before you even get your first round of specials off. that and AI perks. the trick with traders for any prof is to be perking them before they get their second drain off. Thats if they don't use shutdown skills. if they use that first the whole tactics get borked and not sure how to answer that.

But, the key with defeating traders for most combat/DPS profs is understanding that they can't drain your special skills, IE FA/burst/brawl/dimach/SA/etc. So, any perk checking a special vs evades/NR is a good bet to use. Tracer is a good option, since if you can get it going before the second drain it's only affected by the -AAO portion of the drain. So you're still going to have pretty reasonable effective debuff AR on it. IE. FA skill+AAO vs 75% DR+AAD.

That -200 dodge/evade close WILL help with other perks like weapon bash as well and obviously landing specials.
    Last edited by McKnuckleSamwich; Sep 7th, 2012 at 01:21:53.

To the top one, use a DOF timer. and if they LOS you, play tactical tag with them and use not-in-combat kits
    You are aware that it's possible to keep someone rooted and using los AND keeping them agged, right?

To the second one, I think that only works on agents, docs, no idea... but doc roots will only last 3 seconds if you pop an FM
    To the 3rd, ohya, engies are painful (hardcounter to solds :/)
    Doc is killable by sold if you're very lucky or a bit less lucky if you happen to be SMG. No question about that.

Traders are tricky. I think you have to be tabbing and spamming tracer etc so they are allready firing before you even get your first round of specials off. that and AI perks. the trick with traders for any prof is to be perking them before they get their second drain off. Thats if they don't use shutdown skills. if they use that first the whole tactics get borked and not sure how to answer that.

But, the key with defeating traders for most combat/DPS profs is understanding that they can't drain your special skills, IE FA/burst/brawl/dimach/SA/etc. So, any perk checking a special vs evades/NR is a good bet to use. Tracer is a good option, since if you can get it going before the second drain it's only affected by the -AAO portion of the drain. So you're still going to have pretty reasonable effective debuff AR on it. IE. FA skill+AAO vs 75% DR+AAD.

That -200 dodge/evade close WILL help with other perks like weapon bash as well and obviously landing specials.
    It takes literally 0 seconds for trad to land divest for minus 475 off. You will probably still land tracer. Then after 4 secs you are hit with another -350 aao. After that you will land nothing at all. The correct strategy to kill a trader is to find him first and stack all perks before they can do anything to you. Because if they do you will nearly always lose. And just hope they don't have a crat in team or you may miss everything anyway since crat aura adds so much more aad than aao.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    .Then after 4 secs you are hit with another -350 aao. After that you will land nothing at all. The correct strategy to kill a trader is to find him first and stack all perks before they can do anything to you. Because if they do you will nearly always lose. And just hope they don't have a crat in team or you may miss everything anyway since crat aura adds so much more aad than aao.
    Assuming they don't go with the -350AAO/ + 300 AAD first, in that case they don't need a crat at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    With a kite team you generaly pay for your lvls. Imo this makes it ok..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    Pocket teaming is fine to because (most of the time) players actualy step up and kill the hecklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    OST is actually a good thing. In many Ely heck teams where there is a pocket the rest of the team sits around and chats every once in awhile.

so, soldiers, wat do?
    You didn't get it Lazy. Our job is to carry bullets for Trox Ranged Advys.

so i stole my fixer's css today and threw it on my 218 sold. popped in a couple betas, a 288 hd leg i had lying around, etc. fairly cookiecutter generic assautrifle sold, definitely nothing to write home about, but not gimp by any stretch of the imagination.
    I find that really hard to believe
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Finish your PvM before you start to worry about the abilities of a soldier (Or any profession).

Biggest problem I encounter in PvP is the character itself is equipped superior to me. The issue is not always profession based.

Obviously some professions are gonna be more difficult then others. But generally speaking a soldier can take out just about anyone with good equipment and knowledge.

I have only played a lvl 200 soldier. I am fairly well equipped atm. I have few problems currently. Some issues vs evade professions that /sit down for heals, or kite.

But, I am also loosing out on 135ish AR from research and alien levels. Could bump that up to 200ish AR with the swap of a simple item.

My tactic, at lvl 200, is one most of you are already familiar with. Works on all classes!

Do a few regular hits. Use your evade debuffs. Que up your DD perks, start swapping your Nova for AS. And right before it swaps, hit Burst/FA, then AS.

Vs good geared players its not a guarantee.

Vs anyone it lands on, its instant death, or close enough for force em into panic mode.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast