Thread: Personal towers

Personal towers

Originally posted by Cz
    We hope to include temporary towers that will operate like a pet (though it can't move). Good for holding camps, or pulling creatures back to when hunting.
    Will different profs get to build towers of different types?

Will they use the /pet commands.

Isn't this treading on engie toes?

How will they be built? trade skills? nanos?

Different qualities of tower?

Can you plant them anywhere?

Gun turrets? Aggro?

Can you pick them back up after planting?

Can they be put indoors?

Can there be left in boss camps and set on hunt?

Expensive?

Will non booster pack people get them?

The *only* two answers I feel I can give insight on are:

"Is this stepping on engies toes?"

Nah. It's not like it moves. It isn't a real pet. If anything, it might make engi pets even more viable; /pet wait; engie pulls; /pet attack as the tower kicks in its share.

"Will non-booster players get them?"

Umm.... no? Wouldn't it sort of obviate the point of the booster pack if they did?
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Originally posted by Kiryat-Dharin
    "Is this stepping on engies toes?"

Nah. It's not like it moves. It isn't a real pet. If anything, it might make engi pets even more viable; /pet wait; engie pulls; /pet attack as the tower kicks in its share.
    Well ummm the engie pet doesn't exactly move either. Atleast not very well. It does on occasion warp when it gets lost.
    engie + ghetto crowd control + no healing + lowest hp + worst evades + bot who is never around. = worst prof in game

Bump for engie fix

The towers acting as some kind of pets might actually be FC's solution to pet pathing!

'We have fixed pet pathing in the booster pack, they are well and truly fixed now...to one spot!'
    Dominata
    Member of THM

Yep, a big dum rooted pet with guns = tower.

This could go 2 ways.

1. Towers are powerful and those with the booster will get such an advantage in outdoor hunting that mobs get their xp reduced or hp increased. Thus evening it out, but making life very hard for non booster people.

2. Towers are of no use to anyone, being to week and doing little damage to be worthwhile. Therefore the mechanics are evened out for non booster people, but this feature becomes worthless.

The same goes with any items added to the booster. Will we get people who have the booster who have too great an advantage and lvl more quickly and rock in PvP.

It is hard to see how you can add content to the game without slitting the community into gimped non booster people and those with the booster. (unless the booster has little real content)

Interestingly many-a-engineer has suggested having a 'gun turret' as an alternative Eng pet (normally in response to a rooted pet in PvP).

So FC _were_ listening to us Engineers...... they just gave our idea to everyone

-edit--

DING! 900 posts
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Well no pathing problem and wall hugging with a tower pet.

And I would love a tower if the tower allowed you to save and restore there. This would allow you to hunt far, far out in the wilderness and it would give people a great reason to buy the expansion. ID BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

Originally posted by Warlock
    Interestingly many-a-engineer has suggested having a 'gun turret' as an alternative Eng pet (normally in response to a rooted pet in PvP).

So FC _were_ listening to us Engineers...... they just gave our idea to everyone

-edit--

DING! 900 posts
    Makes up for engies getting the Beacon Warp idea off the fixers.

note: With the fixer-grid, I no longer care that you got beacon warp. I got something just as good.

OK. I'm not an engie, but I can't see this as stepping on their toes. Why?

If you wanna use this tower, tell your pet /pet guard %tower. And voila. Start pulling crap back to the tower. Your pets are OK (they need a boost, for sure) if they don't have to move. If you pull to them + tower, you're going to have an advantage over the player pulling just to tower.

hehe, pull mob to tower then:

come on bots take aggro
    please
    oh come on
    I'm dying here
    come on aggro silly pet
    doh dead.

At the mo pets warp back to the save term with you (nice improvement a few patches back). I wonder if towers do the same.

If so the scanning terms, are going to be mini forests of towers haha. (and cos they can't move, they'll be there until the magic tower eating trolls of eastern foul plains come for a bite to eat)

Originally posted by Kiryat-Dharin

Makes up for engies getting the Beacon Warp idea off the fixers.

note: With the fixer-grid, I no longer care that you got beacon warp. I got something just as good.

OK. I'm not an engie, but I can't see this as stepping on their toes. Why?

If you wanna use this tower, tell your pet /pet guard %tower. And voila. Start pulling crap back to the tower. Your pets are OK (they need a boost, for sure) if they don't have to move. If you pull to them + tower, you're going to have an advantage over the player pulling just to tower.
    Ok I'll bite :-)

Beacon warp doent benefit the Eng at all. We dont go anywhere with it, just our team mates. Either grid is much more useful than that as are the evac nanos - so beacon warp wouldnt have been something the Fixers were going to miss that much since we wouldnt miss it either - we'd just get invited into teams even less (I suggest you go give that argument to all the Traders)

Your pet/tower combo fails to take one small but important thing into consideration....

If Engineers had a 'gun turret' pet we could use it anywhere. In missions, in the arena (might even get more Engies into PvP since roots would be easier to swallow), the point is:

Not just in the zones FC allow you to put towers in!

Thats why I feel this is stepping on Engineers toes, but also because none of our pets have ranged weapons (which would also address this issue) despite the NPC models having them.
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Originally posted by Warlock

Ok I'll bite :-)

Awesome! Can I have some food too?

Beacon warp doent benefit the Eng at all. We dont go anywhere with it, just our team mates. Either grid is much more useful than that as are the evac nanos - so beacon warp wouldnt have been something the Fixers were going to miss that much since we wouldnt miss it either - we'd just get invited into teams even less (I suggest you go give that argument to all the Traders)

Sorry, but I think beacon warp is extraordinarily useful... as long as the engie isn't the one who dies.

Then again, as I hit 120+ and the missions get easier and easier, there does seem to be less and less need for this service. Nonetheless, back in the Bad Old Days, I'd have been quite happy to have had even this one thing to make me desirable to a team.

Your pet/tower combo fails to take one small but important thing into consideration....

If Engineers had a 'gun turret' pet we could use it anywhere. In missions, in the arena (might even get more Engies into PvP since roots would be easier to swallow), the point is:

Not just in the zones FC allow you to put towers in!

I got the impression that personal towers wouldn't be zone-limited like org towers.

But I could be wrong.

If I were to be right, however, it'd actually give ammo to the argument of "stepping on the engies toes." Oh well, nothing's perfect.