Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old School!

Originally posted by Dorf_of_Many
    If you're blood red to me and follow the general rules set out by Barbbs, chances are you're old school.

Which means I'm probably middle school. My voice is changing, and I'm worried about acne breakouts.
    screw you hippy! im old school as they get, and im probabally green to you now
    My lungs arent blackened by tar, they're blackened by SIN!

Bah humbug. I'm not oldschool and I don't think I want to be. All this holier-than-thou nonsense is really getting on my tits.
    Hukk [Gear] - Teh handsome

Originally posted by Whiterrabbit

screw you hippy! im old school as they get, and im probabally green to you now
    hehe green or not, whiter, you'll always be uber in my books
    Dorfone
    Fixer
    XIII Neutral, Rk-2

I was Rambo in the disco
    I was shootin' to the beat
    When they burned me in effigy
    My vacation was complete.

Originally posted by Kasimir
    Awesome Jack..used to play Gemstone myself..that was the baddest MUD evah I played quite a few actully, even built 2
    Oh yea? Good deal. Always good to know that there are players in AO that have had some REAL schooling in how to RP. Gemstone was one of the best. Especially those of us that were "old school" from Kulthia.

I once thought about playing a MUD. Then I looked at the two kids in my school that played MUDs and decided that this was one route I would be better off skipping entirely. The lack of a graphical interface probabally had something to do with my thought process.
    ~Streaz~
    "Self Proclaimed Fixer God since Jan 2002"

Note: This account was stolen from me by someone I thought I could trust. I didn't realize what was going on untill someone from my guild contacted me and let me know what was happening. Funcom was gracious enough to give the account back to me, the original owner, but the account is deactivated for the time being and my main concern was just getting it out of the hands of an unsavory character. Sorry for the drama.

-Streaz

how about if most the people on your friends list were guild mates from EQ that played for like the first week and quit?

I've played subspace for like 6 years now ... its not a mmorpg but damn.
    Mordain
    Lonely Clan Fixer on RK1

"Now I've told you this once before
    You can't control me
    If you try to take me down you're gonna break
    Now I feel your every nothing that you're doing for me
    I'm picking you outa me
    you run away
    I stand alone "

I don't think the intent of any of the posters was "holier-than-thou." I personally find the trip down memory-lane to be rather enjoyable. I had forgotten about most of the stuff people are bringing-up, it's humorous to see how far along this game has come, and yet there is still plenty of room for improvement. It's also funny to see some of the half-baked ideas that FC has tried (or fully-baked, just poorly implemented, e.g., crat pets with SMGs =) and I think this thread should create an equal enjoyment players, regardless of when they started playing. A little history never hurt anyone. If some of you find it to be offensive, why not just ignore the thread -- why would you want to ruin our reminiscing?

cya,
    allrite

I'm so far from old school, it's not even funny.

It's pretty bad when you log in to get tells from your fixer friends, "How's it going, you little TWINK?"

Ah well.

--K

STFU twinkie :P

kidding Kara

I think "Old School" is a state of mind, not a measure of time..I've got about 6 months played. I think I'm at least midschool..I actuallywas around for a lotta the stuff listed on here, but I'm a dinky little 105 nobody who whines about GA too much
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

I've been playing AO since June 10th (Played briefly before that for like a week, didn't care for it and quit for a couple months). Was an agent at first, liked it okay, but after meeting a bunch of fixers I started feeling like this was the class I should have been..

So I made a fixer but everyone would tell me when I said "Hey, I made a fixer!" that everyone else on the server had too and I should just keep my agent.

After a while, 99% of my friends were fixers and I found myself doing things like helping them get GA.. and then one day someone gave me a hacking tool.. it was all downhill from there, as I pumped my agent's B&E and started cracking open everything I could find.

One day after a string of annoying deaths, I gave in and retired my agent at level 121 and gave leadership of my org to my baby fixer, Karanya. I sincerely doubt I'll ever log in my agent again except for doing buffs for my org with false profession.

I'm only somewhat twinky! Errmm.. yeah.

/me sighs.

--K

Ah, oldschool. Oldschool enough in AO to be the first Fixer Apprentice, and the second one in the whole game, early August of last year. Which, I'm pretty sure, makes the me the oldest active Apprentice in AO.

And Gemstone/Kulthea. Cut my teeth there, that game was partly responsible for the way my later life turned out. That game got me started on MUDs, which then got me interested in the industry, and now I'm making MMORPGs for a living.

I stopped playing when they lost the I.C.E. Rolemaster license, back when it was still on GEnie. But in that nearly three year period, I clocked a LOT of hours in the game.
    You can run, or you can die. If you run, you just die tired.

How about your old school if you used to sit in the chat room before the game was out dreaming about beta.
    The chat room where you got little flags next to your name showing your country.
    If you remember BCBDLA and his godzillion posts a day and no matter how hard you tried, he was always the first to respond to an official thread.
    If you remember Andai and his/her (never did find out) obsession with Goffles, Andia the chat room lurker who never spoke until someone with a silver or gold star came into the room (dev team)
    When Fixers/Agents were called the Thief class
    When Enforcers were called "Workers"
    When docs were supposed to be able to create diseases.
    When apparently you could have plastic surgery to alter your char.
    When the grid was shown and it was Fixer only (but they had ways to take team mates!)

And my personal favourite, The crazy Dutch? guy who made the AO movies with Mr.Sumo
    "Yo Yo Gamers!"

Originally posted by Annesthesia
    I don't think the intent of any of the posters was "holier-than-thou." I personally find the trip down memory-lane to be rather enjoyable." ... "If some of you find it to be offensive, why not just ignore the thread -- why would you want to ruin our reminiscing?
    I didn't mean to suggest that this thread in particular was like that. I was just referring to the general malaise that seems to have affected some fixers, especially the older ones (could it be senility? ). Don't get me wrong - I enjoy reminiscing. I've been here since beta (although not as a fixer), and have played Hukk since new year, so I'd count myself as midschool along with Kas.

Sorry if I caused offence - I'm just a bit tired of this oldschool vs. newschool frame of mind that seems to be hurting the community.
    Hukk [Gear] - Teh handsome

I know what ya mean, Hukk. If I bump into a fixer, more often than not, I just keep my mouth shut rather than stopping to say hello, unless he/she speaks first. I'll throw a run buff at them if they're lower level but if they're higher than me I tend to be very, very cautious.

Why? Cause when I first started my fixer I got yelled at constantly and accused of being a patch jumper, even by people who knew my then-main and I thought were friends.

Seems to be getting better recently though.. I don't think I've been yelled at once in the last week..

Err.. at least not by other fixers. *grin*

--K

I currently am the proud owner of the oldest Soldier on rubi-ka .

Mhar .

i remember tons of old nuets.. he's an old school nuet gone clanner gone omni ( made some real HUGE mistakes ).

most of which quit other then Catalyste, who si now 180ish.

Are you Mharr on rk2 also?

You would know me as FreshKGBThug -Protector squibbers enforcer, from your clan days
    RK2
    Qwikz - HUGE Inc.

"I should get one of those signs that says "One of these days I'm gonna get organezized".

Eh, you're not so bad, Kara. At least you understand WHY you're a fixer, as opposed to being a flavor of the month thing.

Ya damn twinkie.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Talking

That's Miss Twinkie to you, Dharin!

I became "Miss" Twinkie when I hit the 9 digit investment mark

--K, High-Budget Fixer Project

Good lord!

I don't think I even hit 9 digits yet on Dhar, and he's my main...
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast