Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old School!

Old School!

How long do you have to have played to be considered an old school character?
    ~Streaz~
    "Self Proclaimed Fixer God since Jan 2002"

Note: This account was stolen from me by someone I thought I could trust. I didn't realize what was going on untill someone from my guild contacted me and let me know what was happening. Funcom was gracious enough to give the account back to me, the original owner, but the account is deactivated for the time being and my main concern was just getting it out of the hands of an unsavory character. Sorry for the drama.

-Streaz

Humm

You know your old school on RK2 if you have killed or been killed by Apps in 2h0.

This is just one of many ways.

How about:

You remember when *every* agent could do a 1 shot kill?

You played a month or more before seeing your first Yalm or being scared by an adventurer in Wolf form?

You remember the shopping channel spammed with WTS xxxx # of tokens?

=)

Umm

Very few people had yalms and 2ho truly rocked as people on the roofs killed you from above.

Talking this is old school

Remember the patch that made virmount bulls uber!

Even with a full team of lvl 50's and 3 gaurds in bliss the vir bull wouldn't die. After 30 mins of tearing into this sucker it finally died and only gave its normal exp.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

umm

If you can remember when the city bliss was a killer place to level, your old school clan.

Talking and

If you remember when hunting at temple (clan) was the place to be lvl 30-60
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

Back when people would pay millions for a pair of katara sunglasses.

70% of the playerbase seemed to dual wield FA 3927s. Most of the rest seemed like beam or hammer enforcers or MAs.

NTs could nuke things from so far away they couldn't be aggroed.

Mausser Particle Streamers had more range than lots of sniper rifles. And MPSes were the only viable SMG type weapon, period.

Martial Artists wielded sledgehammers alongside their punching in order to do worthwhile damage.

People hunted in teams outdoors alot and it was much better exp than missions.

Stacking snares on yourself would increase your runspeed almost infinitely.

There was no option to set 'character view distance' so you took full graphics loading lag every time you whompa'd into Athen, Newland, and Tir.

You were lucky to play for a full hour before having to reboot to clear the evil memory leaks.

You got tokens almost every time for mission blitzing.

Waitt cyber armor was bar-none the best protection in the game. Bau was second best.

Some fond memories
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

If you're blood red to me and follow the general rules set out by Barbbs, chances are you're old school.

Which means I'm probably middle school. My voice is changing, and I'm worried about acne breakouts.
    Dorfone
    Fixer
    XIII Neutral, Rk-2

I was Rambo in the disco
    I was shootin' to the beat
    When they burned me in effigy
    My vacation was complete.

Talking the best old school

when NT's used to be the uber class to play.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

Freedom Arms 3927's and surgery clinics with unlimited treatment increase and Q-tapping and does anyone remember "12.6!!AAAAUUUUURGH!!!" ? hehe... oh, and getting disconnected every 5 minutes of gameplay :P

by that justification I'm still a newbie..god help me I'd like to think of myself as something better then that..

I do remember tokens sales and the snare bug..loved that
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

I vote we create a ratio of /played time vs. level
    Trellame
    Legitimate businessman
    Board Member | The Black Company
    www.the-black-company.net
    Founder & Former President | The Mockers
    trellame@anotherwebboy.com

Jynne just about nailed it,

Trell's suggestion doesnt cover my fixers I deleted before IP reset was even a rumour.

- Crat's bots carried SMGs and could burst

- the water in tir could kill a newbie, but it was faster than running all the way around to get to the other side.

- the game ran like a slide-show even on the fastest computers

- a token was shown in the mission terminal window as part of your reward.

- a lowbie could get a find person mission that was just an npc standing outside in a city! (easy token and money)

- east Op outside of Tir was an overpopulated hang-out not a ghost-town like today

- rebooting was as common as insuring

- there was no RK2!

- shops looked different on the inside and terminals, etc were in different spots in the cities.

- MPs had only one pet.

- 'crats and Fixers were push-overs

- I'll tell you the rest when I'm through with therapy (the horrors!)
    RK2
    Qwikz - HUGE Inc.

"I should get one of those signs that says "One of these days I'm gonna get organezized".

• you saw a spider chasing a MP and assumed he/she was under attack.
    • you saw the engineer's 2nd pet mesh and was in awe of this seemingly mighty robot.
    ReetHead "Karrd"
    First to "hand make" Custom Refs.
    President of the late Fixer Coalition
    Member of Storm
    Impatiently waiting to enter the shadow

wheres Wug ????

knights armor used to drop in missions.

Missions mobs would not attack you if u were same faction - so if u got a Omni buddy to roll up a mission and u were clan - u could walk thru un-aggroed and pick up item - hows that for blitzing !!!!

Vwoods npc spawns ( the ones by the campfires) and bully bridge were premier lvl spots

If u had a Kodiak u were Uber

Pvp in holes in the wall ( the bridge ) and trogg valley - actually alot of peeps hung out at the bronto burger in bors for teams.

Newland misssion/bank/save terms were near the west gate

Rollerrats were uber aggro, traveled in gangs terrorizing anyone who stepped foot in newland desert.

MMD had a scanner 2 feet from the grid terminal - anyone silly enough to save at this terminal got "introduced" to grief AO style.

There is no "old-school" in AO as of yet. The bloody game is only a year old!

/me fondly remembers 8 solid years of playing the same game.

Originally posted by Highjack

/me fondly remembers 8 solid years of playing the same game.
    Highjack, are you sitting near a window? ok, now look at this window. See those big objects with green things hanging on smaller objects sticking out of the big objects. Those are called trees. That stuff that covers the ground and is green is called 'grass'. Maybe you should go and touch it. Dont be afraid. Theres no toxic gas outside. You can leave your nuclear fallout vault.

8 years.... please tell me it wasnt a text based rpg game. That's even worse than playing D&D pad and paper style.
    ~Streaz~
    "Self Proclaimed Fixer God since Jan 2002"

Note: This account was stolen from me by someone I thought I could trust. I didn't realize what was going on untill someone from my guild contacted me and let me know what was happening. Funcom was gracious enough to give the account back to me, the original owner, but the account is deactivated for the time being and my main concern was just getting it out of the hands of an unsavory character. Sorry for the drama.

-Streaz

LMAO. Hey streaz, guess what? Only a pathetic fool sits in front of a machine for hours every day for 8 years.

The game was/is Gemstone. A MUD. A game that kids today don't really seem to get. But that was the beauty of it.

Awesome Jack..used to play Gemstone myself..that was the baddest MUD evah I played quite a few actully, even built 2
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast