Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A plea to stop killing guards at gates! And merchant npcs!

Originally posted by Cloudeh
    Other hit other off.
    Other hit by nano Off.
    Monster hitting you.

all all that crap that you dont really need to see, well I have monster hitting me off all the time now, unless I really need to see it...which i never do.
    How do you do all your testing with all your battle messages turned off, do you just guess what the guards are hitting you at?

~aqua

Unhappy Not so rediculas

Originally posted by Insida
    I can't stand ppl acting like this.. I mean, why can't we kill those guards.. its not like they are there for anything more than making a city/town more realistic. If youre having problems with Mobs aggro'ed on you and you think the guard will save you, you're very wrong.
    *sigh* It looks like Cloudeh has some company. I'll explain it to you guys yet again. It's simple really. YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE PLAYING THIS GAME! This board is chock full of examples and testimonies of people who have been saved by guards. Just because you don't find them useful doesn't mean some else won't. These are FACTS people, not matters of opinion. No room for debate.

I need to test my weapons and armor and I really dont feel like taking a mission to BS or anywhere just to test, call me me lazy, I call it simple.
    Fine, you need to test weapons. I'm hip. I can understand that. I have no problem with it. And yes, you're lazy. You can simply move to an outpost where there is no player traffic. Look, no mission. Guards that respawn. Kill them all you want. I don't care. JUST DO IT WHERE PEOPLE AREN'T!

If youre having a problem about lag or such, maybe you should think about getting a new connection or better PC. Dont tell that someone fighting a guard is making you lag. I really wonder how you can play in a mission where 6 players are attacking, casting area nano with big area effect, sounds and chat spam.
    Ok, again YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY PERSON PLAYING THIS GAME! Yes, it's nice that you're computer can handle the mess and I'm sure we would all like top of the line machines. Not everyone can afford that, and it is very self-centered of you to assume that people can just upgrade their computers on a whim when they may have real life concerns that take money. Say food, car payments, ISP payments, phone and utilities, credit card debt, insurance, rent or mortgage, just to name a few.

As for mission lag, let me explain this to you all. One, in a mission, there are 6, and only 6, players usually. In an outdoor field, there can be around three to four times as many. The server has to constantly update your computer for all these players. Players tend to run, which causes more updating as they come in and out of you sight range faster. Secondly, and mission has walls, something that is very easy for the computer to compute for and render. An out door playfield has no walls, but each individual tree and bush (I know we've all been hung up on bushes we thought we could walk over) has to be kept track of. There position, relative to you, changes as you move. Sometimes there is ground gradient (i.e. hills and mountains), some of which is unclimable. The computer has to keep information on ALL of this too and update and render it, as well as determine how you interact with it. It is not at all the same like missions tend to be. Also, your visual range is farther in outdoor fields, which cause the computer to have to render and update even more than it would in a mission, which sight is normally blocked by walls, so rooms only need to be rendered one at a time normally (ever wonder why some people say they experience lag when a door opens?). Third, mobs are organized well in missions, one or two per room. They computer rarely has to render more than 4, the others it just keeps track of. In an outdoor field there can be at least a dozens mobs being rendered, the guards included. It has to keep track of each mob, even those just outside your character's sight (every tag a mob, have it disappear out of sight and follow it, then run that way and find it again?). Lastly, when combat breaks out, a whole NEW set of factors comes into play. Not only does the machine have to render combat with weapons fire and nano effects, but ALL machines need to be updated for battle effects (i.e. health/nano pool).

So yes, outdoor lag can occur on machines that don't experience lag in missions.

I need to test my armor and weapon, I try to do it in shop so I dont bother anyone and look rediculous by trying and dying, but sometime I want to try different battle options with 4 guards on me or how long I can tank Party Mixer&family. If there was a machine I could fight with the setup I want in a locked room so I wouldnt bother anyone, I would go there but there is none. If Im bothering you too much, turn off Other Hit by Other, turn off sound and /Ignore me.

Fine, you want to test to armor and weapons and not bother anyone. Got to an outpost where people aren't. That allows you to run your tests in the same manner that you have been AND shows how considerate you are by not causing problems for other people.

Nerf the cry baby.
    But then again, maybe you won't. Posts prior to yours had given the "move somewhere else" solution, yet you still posted this message with that tag line. These people aren't cry babies. They have every right to enjoy the game as you do. This is not a solo computer game people, it is a MMORPG. It actually has a community of players. And just like real world communities, we need to be polite and courteous to one another. I know my tone may seem harsh at times, but I just reflect the tone that the original post usually took. I'll let you all in on a little secret, by reading some of these posts, I'm pretty sure that there are people out there who WILL NOT STOP killing the guards at crowded areas no matter how much evidence is presented or how easy the solution is to make everyone happy. They only care about their own needs and could care less how much they hamper other people. These are not the people I'm trying to convince. There are a few out there (and I've met them) who don't realize what they're doing, have the problems and solution pointed out, and move on their way. To those people I give a hearty "Thank You" to.
    Into every generation.....(yada, yada, yada....).....

Originally posted by Aqua

How do you do all your testing with all your battle messages turned off, do you just guess what the guards are hitting you at?

~aqua

You turn it on when you want to see, OMG? WAS THAT REALLY HARD TO FIGURE OUT? LOL!

Some people honestly.
    ¤ Cloudeeeh “Cloudeh MKII” 120 Solitus 1HB Enforcer
    ¤ Cloudeh Dead : 176 Solitus 1HB Enforcer
    ¤ Blizzaga Dead : 96 Solitus Soldier Wannabe
    ¤ Firraga Dead : 64 Opifex “Not a Real Fixer” GA Honey
    ¤ Kjataa Dead : 53 Opifex Morphex Agent Wannabe :]
    I am a Tragic Figure
    Strenghtening, Shroud of night, Waiting weak for Taste of blood, Beneath a halo..Eternal light, I survive, Breathe on.
    Inhuman, Undying, Feast of blood now Pulse through me, Immortal..I'm undying, Eternal..Undead!

[size=0.1]C.L.O.U.D.: Cybernetic Lifeform Optimized for Ultimate Destruction[/size]

Re: omg u bunch of noobs

Originally posted by xenomorph

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. You want for someones chr to be deleted if they kill a guard? How about everything you say something stupid in game/on the boards delete your chrs!

Of cause not! This is not a question of incorrect behaviour of players; this is the question of realism in game. Think a bit: in RL someone start to kill policemen. What will happen with this guy? Yes, he will be included in to the “Most wanted men” list and every policeman will hunt for them. Why in AO situation should be different? You kill a guard – and got a “negative record”. Then, until you somehow remove this record you are recognised by all guard in cities of this aliment and punishes by them. Is it not logic? I’m very surprised that AO does not have such a common thing for almost every CRPG.
    "... when faced with a problem you do not understand, do any part of it you do understand, then look at it again."

--------
    Clora "Littlebee" Villalba - Fixer (Rubika-1)

FFS....

FC, do those that are bothered by this a favor and give the guards at heavy traffic areas a 1000 dmgshield plz.

Force the ****************** (<-- too obscene, did my own piece of censoring) to go out into the fields and find a deserted outpost where the guards don't have 1000 dmg shields...
    ACCOUNT STATUS
    Cancelled
    This account was cancelled at:
    2004-05-10 06:47:01
    It will remain playable until : 2004-09-20 08:20:45

Time for RL now

Meet Fluffy

Even better....make a forced side change for killing same sided guards or.....mark them as PVP for people of same side to knock them to reclaim. It just plain laziness they won't go nail some hostile guard.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

I kill the Bronto Chef in Entertainment....

God I hate him....
    Olivia "Haminie" Nguyen - Current Setup - 220 Doctor
    "Intrauterine" Device - Current Setup - 220 Shade

Haminie - Slightly less than twice as uber as Chanelle

To [Destromane]: I'm not a horrible player ;p
    [Destromane]: just a horrible person

Originally posted by Vixentrox
    Even better....make a forced side change for killing same sided guards or.....mark them as PVP for people of same side to knock them to reclaim. It just plain laziness they won't go nail some hostile guard.
    Turn them neutral for 24 game hours and flag them to be PvP-able in every area below 100%. Make them unable to engage in battle, make them targets for all intents and purposes.
    ACCOUNT STATUS
    Cancelled

Time for RL now

Meet Fluffy

Your stupid, that totally disregrards the point in having guards!

Guards that protect you from...what?...ofcourse people are going to kill them.

Stupid.

You just jumped to the end of the thread didn't you? What is yuor point? Guards in heavy traffic are there to keep low level players more or less safe. High level players wanting to test armor more or less destroy the joy low levels can get from staying alive by running to the guards. Now they are most likely to find the guards either dead or in combat.

Give the guards proper 1k-dmg shields at city gates and high traffic areas. Find your kill-guards elsewhere at some outpost in the midle of nowhere, give low levels a chance to run to a place supposed to be safe. Jeez...
    ACCOUNT STATUS
    Cancelled

Time for RL now

Meet Fluffy

I say hit 'em where it hurts.. everytime you kill a same-sided guard, a number goes up on your character. Anytime you do something for XP, you get less because of that number. After a period of time of not killing any guards, that number goes away..

I think that would stop it..

Re: A plea to stop killing guards at gates! And merchant npcs!

Originally posted by Codewitch
    Twice this week I was running from monsters to the guards at 20k only to have them dead when I got there and unable to help me!

Guard killing and npc merchant killing is out of control. What is wrong with you people who do this!

Another instance, this week:
    I was selling loot to an npc at 20k and some fool comes running up and starts beating on the npc with his weapon! I yelled at him "hey I am using this trade window *****!!" and he ran off didnt even say sorry. I could have lost my loot since I was selling out of backpack and did not have equal number of slots in inventory, and if the npc had died I would have lost the overflow that stays in his trade window!

This has happened to the bronto burger npc also in ent and trade. I often go there to sort out my loot and sell, it is great fun for me to do that there, since it is a social gathering place, and some fool comes up and starts shooting the npc!

People! Think before you act! Why the hell do you kill guards/npcs anyway? There is no reward and it is terrible roleplaying! I wish Funcom would make some kind of design change to this.

For once an actually reasonable reason not to kill guards. The trading thing. I agree, dont let them kill the trade NPC's. As for the guards though, well, all I can say is too bad. Not that I dont feel bad that you died running back to try and get them to kill you, but, thats the breaks.

And as for RP reason. Well, not everyone RP's. some infact even disdain it ( like me ) and if someone yells at me for commiting treason by killing guards, it only makes me kill that many more.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

A great use for NLC guards --

A quiet afternoon in Newland...

"/shout Anybody who wants to see Stexer's level 12 doc alt get completely owned and beasted by guards, leave west gate! 1 minute left!"

I hit the guard for 2 pts, then died like the little lowbie I am in one shot . It made at least three people laugh! =D
    -Stexer 'n Sterex

I am adored

Support the addition of non-level-restricted dueling

Type KSA -
    Killer 93%
    Socializer 40%
    Achiever 33%
    Explorer 33%

I just want you to know. After reading this thread.

I will kill AS MANY GUARDS AS I CAN. All over the world. Clan, Nuet. Omni. Makes no differance to me.

And in RP sense I can justify it.

Im a homocidal maniac who kills all government officials, in my effort to spread more anarchy into the world!!!!

That should take care of the RP'ers.

P.S.

I do not care what the game says on the box. It is in MY opinion NOT an MMORPG, it is just an MMOG. RP is lame IN MY OPINION. On that note, I am VERY sick and tired of RP'ers trying to FORCE me into RP, or try and make demands of me to justify my actions in the RP sense. PEOPLE. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR RP. Sorry.

Click to email me

funny you should say that Turin seems Fc thinks the same as my booster pack says mmog not mmorpg as the original box did.
    woohoo at last!!!! i've found my MK IV
    "Make all trader drains self only." -aaronb (asmoran)

GENRE
    SCI-FI
    MMORPG

That's what it says on the back my NW box.

However, PCGamer called it a MMOG.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

This game used to have a storyline and such.

Now its just balls.

Lets hope deacon can keep use entertained for the next year
    Last edited by Rioko; Dec 21st, 2002 at 23:41:55.

I was going for a hike and came across a OP with a lone guard standing there. I asked if he had seen anyone around and he replied that he hadn't. We were talking for a bit, about the weather and such. We then got on the subject of politics and he said that he was related to an old earth Senator name Trent Lott......I laughed.

And killed him.

Was that wrong?
    Hemicrusher

My Current Armor Setup Nail Armor Baby!

Stupidity Should Be Painful

LVL 200 Clan Enforcer - General of Lost Chapter

Originally posted by Hemicrusher<br>Lost Chapter
    I was going for a hike and came across a OP with a lone guard standing there. I asked if he had seen anyone around and he replied that he hadn't. We were talking for a bit, about the weather and such. We then got on the subject of politics and he said that he was related to an old earth Senator name Trent Lott......I laughed.

And killed him.

Was that wrong?

You evil bastard.

Click to email me

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345