Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A plea to stop killing guards at gates! And merchant npcs!

Exclamation A plea to stop killing guards at gates! And merchant npcs!

Twice this week I was running from monsters to the guards at 20k only to have them dead when I got there and unable to help me!

Guard killing and npc merchant killing is out of control. What is wrong with you people who do this!

Another instance, this week:
    I was selling loot to an npc at 20k and some fool comes running up and starts beating on the npc with his weapon! I yelled at him "hey I am using this trade window *****!!" and he ran off didnt even say sorry. I could have lost my loot since I was selling out of backpack and did not have equal number of slots in inventory, and if the npc had died I would have lost the overflow that stays in his trade window!

This has happened to the bronto burger npc also in ent and trade. I often go there to sort out my loot and sell, it is great fun for me to do that there, since it is a social gathering place, and some fool comes up and starts shooting the npc!

People! Think before you act! Why the hell do you kill guards/npcs anyway? There is no reward and it is terrible roleplaying! I wish Funcom would make some kind of design change to this.
    • Shenhiroko: Martial Artist: RK1-OmniTek: Entropy Dawn Org
    • Codewitch: Nano Technician: RK1-Clan
    Main Profession: Explorer of Rubi-Ka
    Latest News:My NT is dual wielding Leet dolls until I can find Fazeka Crystal...Phear the Leets!

Guard/FriendlyMOB killing is lame, and suggests that the player is one or all of the following:
    a) a spazzy teen who gets his thrills simply by killing everything that moves (would be better off playing Quake, or Doom).
    b) someone who has the roleplaying ability of a nat, and kills randomly because he is 'bored' of doing missions.
    b.1) person usually blames funcom for his inability to enjoy the game.
    c) someone who wants to show off his 'uber' weapon to all to 'd00ds' watching. And gosh we are always impressed.

I hope that one day Funcom will make it possible for the guards to call in reinforcements, or maybe allow others to defend the guards if they are attacked.

-blix01

Yep the guards outside newland are dead 30% of the time. It's just lame. I consider this griefing, as low levels can't get the protection from the guards when being chased by the local wildlife.

Ok sometimes there are RP reasons, and these are good up to a point. (1% of the time at best)

I just hope the ICC peacekeepers are armed to their teeth, and a lot stronger.

It would certainly be best if all guards could call for backup, or allow players to help them. (and npc traders should be able to call the guards to help)

A lot of people are testing different guns this way I'm sure, just to see which ones does most damage in a "real" situation and since a guard will be same level, evades, armor etc a week or a month later it's a help to evaluate your damage output.

It's really annoying though for other people so going to an unhabited backyard and going berserk on the guard/guide would be preferable to conduct tests.

Vitnirs

Originally posted by L1V1D

I just hope the ICC peacekeepers are armed to their teeth, and a lot stronger.
    not the ones guarding neut places
    postcount++

Originally posted by Blix
    Guard/FriendlyMOB killing is lame, and suggests that the player is one or all of the following:
    a) a spazzy teen who gets his thrills simply by killing everything that moves (would be better off playing Quake, or Doom).
    b) someone who has the roleplaying ability of a nat, and kills randomly because he is 'bored' of doing missions.
    b.1) person usually blames funcom for his inability to enjoy the game.
    c) someone who wants to show off his 'uber' weapon to all to 'd00ds' watching. And gosh we are always impressed.

I hope that one day Funcom will make it possible for the guards to call in reinforcements, or maybe allow others to defend the guards if they are attacked.

-blix01

Your an idiot really man.

I killed plenty of guards in my time.

You know, THEY AINT REAL PEOPLE FOR **** SAKE.

Seriously tho, do you honestly believe people get JOY out of killing guards, phreeky.

I did it to test Armor, AC's...Damage output, with Challenger, Rage flurry.

Where else Can I find a better place to find a mob that spawns fast and are usually all the same level.

I mean SERIOUSLY.

I wanted to see If I could kill a guard by letting it shoot itself to death it worked.

Oh and if you really give a **** about roleplay, dig this.

Ops I did mongo, OPS GUARDS ATTACK ME! Look like Ill have to attack them back, aww too bad.

Y'know I can kill them in a nice lil alpha?
    ¤ Cloudeeeh “Cloudeh MKII” 120 Solitus 1HB Enforcer
    ¤ Cloudeh Dead : 176 Solitus 1HB Enforcer
    ¤ Blizzaga Dead : 96 Solitus Soldier Wannabe
    ¤ Firraga Dead : 64 Opifex “Not a Real Fixer” GA Honey
    ¤ Kjataa Dead : 53 Opifex Morphex Agent Wannabe :]
    I am a Tragic Figure
    Strenghtening, Shroud of night, Waiting weak for Taste of blood, Beneath a halo..Eternal light, I survive, Breathe on.
    Inhuman, Undying, Feast of blood now Pulse through me, Immortal..I'm undying, Eternal..Undead!

[size=0.1]C.L.O.U.D.: Cybernetic Lifeform Optimized for Ultimate Destruction[/size]

Thumbs down

Guard killing is incredibly lame and I am sick of it.

I'd like to see them change it so that players can attack anyone who shoots at a guard. Also guards should "remember" the person who killed them and every guard should attack them on sight for the next 24 hours of played time.

It would be fun if repeat guard killers were kicked out of their faction and not allowed to return or executed for treason (char deleted).
    Last edited by Nothanks; Aug 30th, 2002 at 14:11:46.

I you want to kill Guards...go kill the opposite side's guards...

At lest that way it would make some kind of RP sense
    "We are jolly green giants...walking the planet...with guns"

Stormhat"Warcriminal" Lotto

General of Ragnarok

Master of 80 sec survival

"Valhalla or Reclaim!!"

FFS Cloudeh, there are plenty of guards around to do testing on that aren't in an area where real peoples characters need them for protection, and that's what we're talking about.

If you want to test stuff use the guard at the OT-OP in SWB, the ones at Versailles or some other place where noone normally is.

Killing guards outside NLC, 20k, or any other place where they once in a blue moon saves someones butt is just lazy.

And people that kill merchants (esp. Eddie) and Quest NPCs are a bunch of asshats. All this leads to is ****ing up someone elses game.

Don't get me started on the RP, since more often than not there are both Omni and clanners blasting away side by side to take down the guards outside NLC. Once I even saw an applicant (I don't think he ever made member) of Omni-Pol and a clanner dude side by side. When confronted the Omni dude said it was because "the neutrals were supporting the clans".
    Yeah, and who the **** is that standing next to you, your informer?

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Question

I'm not sure this would work, since we are suppose to be able to invade opposing cities once in awhile, but perhaps they should make these "newbie" guards so incredibly high that it becomes impossible for them to be killed. Pretty much like they did for the newbie guards in EQ.

At the sametime, leaving other "non-newbie" guards at their current levels.

Just an idea that may work, or may not... your thoughts?

Oh, and my opinion about merchant npc's, they should be able to take down anyone in a single shot, and only agro when fired on (so they don't interfer with proper combat). Killing merchants, in my view, is a disruptive act that shouldn't be allowed.
    Tuxx - Grid Freak and Closed System Poison Pill, Black Sheep of SRS and Proprietor of The Neon Zebra
    Domu - Lotus on Water, Member of House SRS
    Neon Zebra: A gathering place for the roleplaying community.

Thumbs down omg u bunch of noobs

Originally posted by Nothanks
    Guard killing is incredibly lame and I am sick of it.

I'd like to see them change it so that players can attack anyone who shoots at a guard. Also guards should "remember" the person who killed them and every guard should attack them on sight for the next 24 hours of played time.

It would be fun if repeat guard killers were kicked out of their faction and not allowed to return or executed for treason (char deleted).

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. You want for someones chr to be deleted if they kill a guard? How about everything you say something stupid in game/on the boards delete your chrs!

I will restate what cloud said, at higher lvls everyone wants to test their armor, weapons, items, etc to see how it will hold for pvm and pvp fights. since the guards are lvl 100+ they are perfect test subjects.

And don't hand me this RP bull crap I've only seen a small hand full of RPers in the past year I've played AO. You making pointless excuses to back up your stupid arguement.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

I admit I do kill guards....In fact I killed the two Newland Guards last night testing a new Beam. Now I do wait till I am the only person around and it was pretty late last night, so I really don't see a problem.

Flame me if you want, but this game only consist of team missions and if FC would add more things to do I probally would not have time to kill guards.

Now I would never kill a guard or NPC that another player was trading with, and if I had just killed a guard and a noobie came running by me with a pack of Rollerats on their tail, I'd save their arse.

BTW...I only kill Neut and Omni NPC's......never Clan.
    Hemicrusher

My Current Armor Setup Nail Armor Baby!

Stupidity Should Be Painful

LVL 200 Clan Enforcer - General of Lost Chapter

1 view

If you attack a guard you should beable to be attacked by anyone as long as you still have aggro. It is that simple.

"char delete" is not an option.

Kill the Bartenders instead

I use the Bartenders for weapons and armor testing because:

1) They are stronger than the guards (deep red at 140)
    2) They cannot chase you so you can test weapons safely (at least longer range ones )
    3) Fast respawn
    4) No one ever uses or needs these guys

Green guards just don't seem to give me reliable information for the mobs we fight in higher levels.

Methinks a thread needs to be started to support killing your local bartender.

I'm sick to death of people killing the guards in Newland and 20K. It's annoying, causes lag, and screws the newbs out of their protection.

Likewise for the jackasses who like to res kill Eddie and the other vendors in Last Ditch. How the heck is someone supposed to trade with these guys while some jerk is spawn killing them?

Honestly, why can't FunCom simply set up a lvl100, lvl 150, and lvl200 Crypthorne or Sylvabane somewhere that gives no exp but acts exactly like a guard.

I bet the jackasses would still be killing the NLC guards in some vain attempt to impress their online virtual girlfriends.

Guess I must be the only moron that went killing Waste Collectors for Alvin's quest because she just didn't want to shoot the Mechdogs aligned on her own side...

/me shrugs
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Maybe there should be training machines in a room in each city. With several rooms each with a different lvl of machine. These would always have the same damage output and armour values.

Maybe these rooms could have a scoreboard of the days top hitters.

This way people could test there equipment more reliably and would cause less fuss. (though I am sure FC would have a problem with that, as people would start quoting numbers that this profs weapon is better than anothers)

I like that idea....kinda like an arcade or firing range to test weapons.....they could call it Newland City...j/k

I really do like the idea of a social gathering place/shooting range/arcade for testing.
    Hemicrusher

My Current Armor Setup Nail Armor Baby!

Stupidity Should Be Painful

LVL 200 Clan Enforcer - General of Lost Chapter

i dont understand why people are getting all upset over killing guards or merchants from the opposite side. i mean if funcom really wanted to , they could just stick on the 1k relfect shield they have for some NPCS which arent meant to be killed, and the same for vendors. if they didnt want you to be able to kill merchants inside stores, then why not make that field 100% suppresion? i can admit when i get tired of the missions or pvpin or just plain boored, i head to omni ent over by the bronto burger and just kill guards for fun. part, is also to piss of the people thier . .. why you ask??? DUH cuz their freakin OMNI SCUM.
    Techno-Wizard

Killing is pretty much stupid as a whole, but in a game setting youshould be at least going after the opposaite sides guards..

There should be repercussions for attacking your own guards.. anyone around should be able to

A) call omni pol and get you arrested i.e Nikcola

B) heal the bloody guard for fricks sake ! Whywe cant heal our own side's guards is beyond me !!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast