Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any options to Broken Shores missions (14.5 fix)

Talking Any options to Broken Shores missions (14.5 fix)

I applaud the outdoor hunting changes in 14.5.

The team mission changes were a fantastic improvement to the game, but doing those indefinitely becomes a little repetitive.

Firstly, is there currently anywhere that you hunt other than Broken Shores missions (if you are over L100).

Secondly, about the new outdoor hunting zones. People will flow to where the rewards are greatest and the risks lowest. I would be interested to see if FC can balance this for outdoor hunting. Certainly everbody will be hunting outdoors when introduced due to the novelty of it. However if this is to sustained there will have to be some incentive (i.e. items not found in team missions, better xp, etc) or it will not remain a viable option.

I really would like to do things other that Team Missions in Broken Shores so I wish you (FC) the best of luck in getting this right - it is a great move.

Debitte
    L 104 Trader
    RK2

Arrow

Agreed, outdoor hunting has to have a perk. Naturally hunting usually means a static spot you kill in thus removing the need to "Get a new spot after the boss has been killed". IMO Team missions are good in getting tokens and varied loot so i'd like the idea that hunting outdoors would offer some diffirent loot of that what can be found in team missions.
    Regards,
    Chromad

Advisor of the First Order

Tukan | Chromad | Mikados

Maybe you can get tokens from mobs like you do in missions

I see it like this: the high level hunting grounds are good, simply because there is hardly any use left for real high end characters to get tokens. Most have the 1k board, and after that there's no new board awaiting them.

So it's only natural that they are given grounds to hunt, harder than the average mission in BS. I see how teams stampede through missions at higher levels. It is nothing more than fast XP gathering for them, or in some cases going for an item. Having them watch their backs for approaching mobs from nowhere makes for a more varied experience. It's good that hunting grounds are more now. Might even get some 150-ish characters back to being active...

The only thing I regret, like so many other players, is the fact that a lot of items are boss loot only. Some people solo a lot, such as me and we too want that stuff without having to fork out huge amounts of cash for them.
    Please create a way to cater solo players to these things as well. I'm gonna delve into it, others have done that earlier, just thought I'd bring it up once more...
    ACCOUNT STATUS
    Cancelled
    This account was cancelled at:
    2004-05-10 06:47:01
    It will remain playable until : 2004-09-20 08:20:45

Time for RL now

Meet Fluffy

I know this isnta fix or anything but you may as well just team up with someone and then get a mission, then you have more stuff to fight, if you dont want to fight it slap a run buff on and run to the boss room, theres normally something to hide behind in the boss room if your fast so you can get yourself together then go kill the boss.

Question

ok, so 14.5 high level outdoor bosses will have to have new decent loot to make it work.. but whats to prevent these from getting just as camped as uniques and all the issues that raises .. back to square one. *sigh*.

At least missions, much as I loath them, have a key and u dont get to the boss room only to find another team already there or a dead and looted boss.

For sure if the drops are worth it and in limited supply this is going to happen.. back to BS then. lol

I can't stand the monotony of missions, but the whole camping thing is even worse..

I hope the best bosses with the best loot are in 25% =]

I was kinda thinking that it would be cool to sync the spawn times of the new bosses and old bosses... for instance, have 2 camps spawn at the same time as Tara, 2 at the same time as Zuwd, etc... On an 18 hour schedule of course to rotate it through timezones... This way it's not the same people getting all the uniques... you'd have to choose which mob you want to camp.. obviously this wouldn't be all that easy to implement, but I'd like to see something like it

Maybe you could have uniques spawn at any random boss site in their zone. And note that some uniques are NOT high level.

Case-in-point: STUMPY! Yes, this is probably the lowest-level unique in the game, perhaps level 27 (Green to a level 30.) He's a Leet. Yes, a unique LEET. He's sometimes wandering around in the Greater Omni Forest. He's got some nice stuff, QL of it's all high 30s. No, this isn't exactly a spawn the masses are gonna try and camp, but he's nasty enough that mission-hunters randomly running across him in their 20s are gonna be soscrewed (he's hostile). But this is the sort of thing I'd like to see.

IMHO the outdoor hunting on test(which I have sampled) is alot like the biledrinker camps currently on live....

They are...kinda sorta ok exp. Not really though. They don't hold a kandle to missions when you factor in the 1 million XP point kicker the 200K from the boss.

The problem is that the stuff is just too dam hard for what it's worth. Sure the exp is nice(differing camps anywhere from 40K to 120K I was at) per mob, but they are just too dam hard. The mobs hit _HARD_ and while they did tone their hitpoints down, they don't die fast enough.

--You need 2 CH docs or a CH and a advent.

Also there are a LOT of them....Aggro gets way out of hand real real fast.

--Burucrat is a neessicaity for area calms.

--NT's might work if they had nullity, but I wouldn't want to take that risk so far from a save.

The stuff hits hard and dosen't die fast, you need aggro managment....so either a MA or a Enforcer. Preferably 2.
    Suppose a soldier would work in one of the slots but they can't really aggro things.

So... 2 docs 2 tanks and 1 'crat.

I suppose you could give the last spot to one of the other 7 professions in the game

Do I make myself clear?

IMHO my personal opinion is that while it can be worth it in the perfect group....It's really not, because things can still go wrong, and it's dangerous as hell out there in these new camps and the exp isn't any better than missions when you take into account boss/reward exp.
    Last edited by Xira; Aug 31st, 2002 at 11:26:57.

Funcom just needs to bite the bullet and bend over and admit that they are going to have to let players level faster than they do currently to get them out of missions.

Which is incidentily also the only way they can keep 25% of their playerbase past level 150ish zafter...ohhh....shadowbane and SWG come out.

They can't just nerf missions, general nerfs that benefit NOONE never go over well(look at 12.6...*SPLAT* they almosty went bankrupty).

They can't make outdoors safer, high level missions are as safe as can be....my goddam doc could solo the boss room if she wanted to.

They are just going to have to pull down their pants and take it where it hurts....

in the leveling rates They are going to have to give players MUCH more exp than they currently get in missions, with a moderatly increased risk of dieing. It's the only acceptable tradeoff.
    Last edited by Xira; Aug 31st, 2002 at 11:31:16.

Originally posted by Tukan
    Agreed, outdoor hunting has to have a perk. Naturally hunting usually means a static spot you kill in thus removing the need to "Get a new spot after the boss has been killed". IMO Team missions are good in getting tokens and varied loot so i'd like the idea that hunting outdoors would offer some diffirent loot of that what can be found in team missions.
    As far as I am concerned, the fact that I won't have to worry about mobs getting stuck on geometry (well, at least not nearly as often) is the only perk I need!

Not to mention the fact that my pale Opi skin could really use a little sunshine...

Regardless, the only thing I am worried about is that people have gotten so accustomed to missions that it will be quite some time before anyone can tear themselves away from the familiar "grid to NLC, shout lfg, join group, grid to home, etc"... I mean, missions may be boring as hell at this point, but they at least are more or less consistent in terms of expected net returns. With outdoor hunting, there is always going to be a certain degree of randomness which is probably both a good and bad thing. With missions you have the promise of not having to compete with other groups, but at the same time you get bored more quickly than you might while outside.

I think outdoor hunting will be awesome *if* Funcom makes the potential rewards irresistable. I mean, how many people would go to Camelot to kill the Tarasque if the dungeon was 100% gas and the mob dropped standard team mission boss loot? It's pretty much the same for any piece of consumer electronics (and especially videogame consoles); if there is a must-have (or many must-haves) associated with the item in question, people will go for it. The question then becomes, is Funcom capable of providing followup content, as opposed to what happened with team missions (release-and-forget).
    Gogo "Atremis" Yubari
    220 MA - RK1
    Tranq

There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

The question then becomes, is Funcom capable of providing followup content, as opposed to what happened with team missions (release-and-forget).
    Except to drop all of their bloody CLASS FIXING equipment onto the new bosses?

No longer playing an Adventurer.

I have a very good idea of where to hunt,,, but I will only tell you if you sell me that LLTS scope that you keep posting, muwahahahah.
    Muerl lvl 164 mp R-2

Exclamation LLTS

Muerl,

I'll tradeskill the LLTS into ring jewellry before you get it! When I get better its yours!

Seriously folks, what would it take...what do you need ..to make outdoor camps work for you.

Let's tell Funcom..they want to hear from us. What will make these camps a success?

Before team missions I remember Lush Fields SW camp and NW camp - those where the places! (at low levels) How do we recreate that? We have to get out of Team Missions. There is still a place for them but we need an alternative. My thoughts are...

Random Token Drops
    Random Unique Loot Drops (not available in Team Missions)
    Sunglasses, Sunglasses, and more new Sunglasses (big picture)
    Higher risk and reward (XP)
    Substantial XP bonus for 25% zones (300%)

Your thoughts....

Debitte
    L108 Trader
    RK2

What would it take?

- Experience per unit time = missions
    - Loot don't really matter (we'll go to missions if we want loot ... like it used to be)
    - No need for the 'Boss Mob' if the experience is good enough.
    - No hunting spots in 25% zones (leave that to the tower pack people)
    - Saver nearby (nobody wants their friend to put their fist through their monitor)
    - Terminals to sell junk in
    - Well known meeting places
    - A way to declare a spot your own to prevent kill stealing (Camp Keys?)
    - Monsters in one area within a contrained level variance.

That's all it'll take.
    Last edited by Bionitrous; Sep 3rd, 2002 at 15:18:48.

Arrow

Originally posted by Lily Inverse
    Case-in-point: STUMPY! Yes, this is probably the lowest-level unique in the game, perhaps level 27 (Green to a level 30.) He's a Leet. Yes, a unique LEET. He's sometimes wandering around in the Greater Omni Forest. He's got some nice stuff, QL of it's all high 30s. No, this isn't exactly a spawn the masses are gonna try and camp, but he's nasty enough that mission-hunters randomly running across him in their 20s are gonna be soscrewed (he's hostile). But this is the sort of thing I'd like to see.
    Nah, Ownz is lower, and albino... hehe.

On topic...

To be honest, they probably need to prevent really large missions being generated so often, and not spawn as many MOBs in them as now. Then, create some new non-boss hunting areas for high levels based on the likes of NW Mine in lush.

Standard MOBs would spawn about 1 a minute, tougher MOBs a bit less often, and nasty aggro MOBs (like the NW Mine lifebleeders) less frequent still. Have some loot that can only be found on outdoor MOBs too.

At the moment, missions are a safer environment than outdoors, but offer better xp in general. So to make outdoors more attractive, you'd need to either increase outdoor xp, or decrease mission xp. I'd probably try and do both, and split the loot tables between missions and outdoors.

Originally posted by Tukan
    hopefully not just different loot, because as soon as people have the new loot, then they will just return to BS missions and it will be impossible to get a team again unless you are doing BS missions.

People flock where the xp is... it's been seen in the entire history of the game, from the days of Medusa's to Ace Camp... when a good levelling spot is discovered people use it... As long as missions give the best xp, then as soon as people have whatever new items that are there, they will return to missions...

What we need is better xp to be in line with the greater risk... I mean a camp full of Greater Anun's would be sickly hard compared to a camp full of vets and aces.
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

Originally posted by Oldscotch
    I see it like this: the high level hunting grounds are good, simply because there is hardly any use left for real high end characters to get tokens. Most have the 1k board, and after that there's no new board awaiting them.

So it's only natural that they are given grounds to hunt, harder than the average mission in BS. I see how teams stampede through missions at higher levels. It is nothing more than fast XP gathering for them, or in some cases going for an item. Having them watch their backs for approaching mobs from nowhere makes for a more varied experience. It's good that hunting grounds are more now. Might even get some 150-ish characters back to being active...

The only thing I regret, like so many other players, is the fact that a lot of items are boss loot only. Some people solo a lot, such as me and we too want that stuff without having to fork out huge amounts of cash for them.
    Please create a way to cater solo players to these things as well. I'm gonna delve into it, others have done that earlier, just thought I'd bring it up once more...

exactly why people will return to BS missions, if the xp-parade outdoors isn't as good as BS... especially since BS missions are 100% safe in a 100% suppression zone... in fact you hardly have to step outside 100% gas to get to and from the mission.

Originally posted by Sumini
    ok, so 14.5 high level outdoor bosses will have to have new decent loot to make it work.. but whats to prevent these from getting just as camped as uniques and all the issues that raises .. back to square one. *sigh*.
    Even if their are new cool items, people will return to BS as soon as they've obtained the items... When you have the items what will you be looking for? (answer:xp) Where is xp the best? (answer:BS missions)

So far on test server, the xp is not as good as BS missions with twice the risk... so it will end up being more of a quick collection of the new items and then people will start returning to the indoors :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast