Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Grim truth unfolds

The Grim truth unfolds

It would appear that Mr. Saar of the Rubi-Ka Times has got his facts twisted again. In his report he attempts to incite hatred for the Clans by all members of OT-RK with this statement

"It is quite clear to any living individual that an organisation such as the Dust Brigade must need funding to employ their attacks and continued assaults. And it is of no coincidence that this notorious terrorist group is of clan affiliation."

Last time I looked (and died shortly afterwards) DB members are Neutral, not Clan. Now I don’t disagree that the DB must be funded by some "shadowy" organisation, however as far as the Clans are concerned this could just as easily be an OT "Black" department .. perhaps the same one that Mr. Saar receives the scripts for his reports from?
    Promoo - Agent, Clan on Rimor
    Still alive but now dressed in spandex and called Big Gun in CoH
    Keeper Of Tiggy

Happy Tree Friends - The best animation on the web

As an Omni, let me be the first to congratulate you on your insightfulness. You're darn right the DB requires some form of backing, and I find it increasingly difficult to believe the Clans are doing it. It just doesn't feel quite right. There's motive, yes, but these people are probably some of the best-funded terrorists in history. They have access to perma-death weapons, and the Clans don't have those as far as I know. So, who does?

Omni-Tek, certainly, but they're not the only ones likely to. Both the ICC and Sol Banking would have a vested interest in being able to permanently kill Rubi-Ka citizens. While TESTING would likely be impossible off-world, the notion that they could have developed them elsewhere and then brought the blasted things here for testing isn't. Don't go accusing Omni-Tek so directly unless you've got facts, okay. Two "interested parties" involved here could easily be the force behind this menace, and only the ICC is somewhat without motive.

However, Sol Banking really doesn't have any motive to help the Clans out either. That's why the Dust Brigade makes perfect sense as their project and theirs alone.
    Last edited by Lirona; Aug 29th, 2002 at 17:32:11.

If the Dust Brigade is Neutral, so are the Sentinels. The Sentinels may not be as active, but they have similar goals and both preach extreme violence towards Omni-Tek and those that are not opposed to OT directly.

Martov,
    I am not an applicant of The Sentinels, but of The Sentinals ( I guess this is going to be a common problem).

While I can not comment on the thinking of other guilds, The Sentinals are a clan guild of people who help each other and other clanners. The Sentinals believe that the tyranny of Omni-tek corporation is responsive for the problems of Rubi-ka. The Sentinals know that in the end, lasting peace will only comes from a political agreement. Sentinals will support the clans in the struggle, however they hope for peace.

Agitators, no matter what affiliation they are do not help in our hopes of peace on this planet.

I am also open to the fact that the DB may be receiving support from off planet, however I believe that OT should have been able to detect any landings, or so many OT people keep insisting with you superiority in technology over us poor bug bitten, living in hovels Clanners ;P
    Promoo - Agent, Clan on Rimor
    Still alive but now dressed in spandex and called Big Gun in CoH
    Keeper Of Tiggy

Happy Tree Friends - The best animation on the web

Preach?

The Dust Brigade preach anything?

Did anyone go along to the last Dust Brigade rally? Did they have a cake stand?

I think 'preach' is the wrong word to use regarding the Dust Brigade. The Dust Brigade don't preach anything. They just sweep in and cause destruction and chaos. There are some misguided fools who have chosen to 'support' the Dust Brigade, but somehow I'm willing to guess that the real Dust Brigade will treat them the same way they treat everyone else.

The Dust Brigade are a threat to everyone. Which is precisely why Omni-Tek needs to maintain its AF bases in CoT territoriy. The Dust Brigade could strike anyone, anytime. We don't know where they operate from, and we don't know who they are. For all Omni-Tek isn't, they *are* keen on the security and stability of this planet. The Dust Brigade represents one of the biggest threats to everyone at the moment, and as such Omni-Tek needs to maintain a presence to be able to counter their activities.

As to who they are? SolB would make cosiderable sense. Or a group of cultist fanatics whose strings and funding are being provided by an outside source.

The only evidence we've had to go on as to their identity is their presence near the CoT. This is pretty flimsy - 'masked commandos' don't necessarily mean dust brigade. After all, how expensive or difficult to make is a mask?

It may be true that the CoT are indeed rotten. It may also be true that we're seeing a prank by some of the detractors of the CoT - there's certainly enough of them in the Clans these days!

But one thing is for certain: the Dust Brigade aren't preaching anything. They're not trying to form a populist movement behind their idiology. That'd involve stopping and talking to some people or taking some kind of active side.

The Dust Brigade are just anarchic killers. Nothing more.
    Crazynotion - Atrox Bureaucrat, RK1

Formerly posted as Mechanita

You do realize that I am a bureaucrat, and I make a point of making things sound nice, even if they don't make much sense.

'Both have common goals and values' might have worked better.

The Dust Brigade are just anarchic killers. Nothing more.
    I think you're off the mark by a few kilometers here. The Dust Brigade are quite a bit more than anarchic killers. This probably describes the rank-and-file soldiers, but there's an entire support organization that we don't see. They need engineers, to manufacture that very distinctive armor and those weapons, Nanotechnologists to program the soldier's NCUs. People to hack the satelites, run the radios, and everything else involved in coordinating massive military and terrorist action.

Remember, the Dust Brigade can not possibly have access to the "normal distribution" channels. Everything they use in an attack they must make themselves. To do that, they need Notum, and lots of it. And where can you get Notum boys and girls?

The funny thing is, I'm laying odds that the Dust Brigade is funded by our little Omega friend hiding underground. That would then mean they are pretty much directly funded by Omni-Tek credits as you can be reasonably sure that Mr. Drake has a direct tap into O-T's credit pool seeing as he's been guiding the company for who knows how many centuries.

Best parts of that article:

...the Dust Brigade must need funding to employ their attacks and continued assaults. And it is of no coincidence that this notorious terrorist group is of clan affiliation. And who heads this radical group? Why none other than the mask of peace Mr. Henry Radiman, and in the same breath using the Council of Truth as a veil to sway the su****ion from the ICC and Omni-Tek.
    It is nearly impossible for a barbaric group such as the clans, and the CoT to come up with mass funds to employ multiple attacks with seemingly better than clan quality technology without the aid of another party with vast resources...

So first he accuses the CoT of funding the DB, then, in the next breath, states that the CoT couldn't possibly afford it, so SBC must be funding the CoT which in turn funds DB. Riiiiight. Good thinking there, Sherlock.

It should be abundantly clear to anyone that the Dust Brigade spans both sides of the conflict. They are a group which specializes in infiltration and internal destruction as well as outright terrorist attacks. The only missing piece is their agenda.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

The only missing piece is their agenda.
    I'm not certain their "Agenda" is all that important just yet. Right NOW it's time to figure out where they are and what they're doing. I've got a few ideas, based on what they need.

• They need some place well-hidden, but relatively safe, with multiple entrances.
    • They need somewhere that relatively large manufacturing facilities can be hidden, because they don't have any access via the normal supply channels that the regulars in this conflict use.
    • They need a research facility, hidden like the ones above.
    • Finally, they need ready access to large amounts of notum and whatever other resources Rubi-Ka has to offer.

Now, we are 99.9% sure the Dust Brigade is actually stationed on Rubi-Ka, but they're not on the surface, because large facilities to support them would be spotted. Where does that leave?

The Outzone? It's not closely monitored (SBC actually had some operations running out there for a while before OT noticed) and considering their hefty survival gear...I'd say this is their base of operations.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Our friend Roland Drake is underground. He has access to all the credits one would ever want. His agenda is the agenda of those who gave him the 'envelopes' and subsequently enabled him and FarmaTek to make nanotechnology workable. Those who 'guide' him are working towards an 'endgame' that seems to require a final apocalyptic battle between 'good' and 'evil'. A stable Rubi'Ka is not conducive towards Armageddon.

Any more hints that it's the Omegas through Roland Drake (hence Omni-Tek) that are funding the Dust Brigade?

Edit:

OK, I'll bite on my own question. The Dust Brigade's slogan 'Ashes to Ashes' is a direct religious quotation from a time 35 thousand years prior to the current Rubi'Ka timeline. That which comes of the earth must return to the earth (or dust ball that is Rubi'Ka). If you are up on your backstory, It's apparent that humanity has been manipulated by 'higher beings' basically forever. Rubi'Ka = Garden of Eden, etc.

Unless I missed a Christian church somewhere on Rubi'Ka, I find it odd that the DB would choose such an appropriately anachronistic quote from a religion that flourished before the Long Winter.

So David Marlin is floating in his capsule in the asteroid belt off-world. Roland Drake is in his underground complex somewhere planetside.

It appears to me that humanity is and always was nothing more than pawns in a game played by two factions or representatives of a 'higher being'. Ever wonder why Omni-Tek has a strict policy of underscoring the 'fact' that there has never been any signs of alien life ever found? We have to remember that Omni-Tek was founded basically as part of these super beings' desires (yes even higher up on the 'power scale' than the Omegas). I'm sure that anonimity is a key part to their 'game'.

So we have the Dust Brigade who are to play a part. It seems their part is to stir up trouble and set the game afoot. Even if they personally don't know that they are being played .... much like most Omni-Tek employees don't know they are groomed for a role on one side.

The economic and logistic constraints of Rubi'Ka dictate that the amount of credits and technology needed to gear up the Dust Brigade can only come from Omni-Tek or similar organization. That is not to say that Omni-Tek is even aware that credits and technology are being transferred elsewhere. We can be sure that only a select few at the very top of Omni-Tek are aware that there are parties that MUST be listened to when making corporate and other decisions.

How do you think Omni-Tek was led directly to Rubi'Ka from Earth on the other side of the galaxy and why do you think they decided to colonize even before sending out a prospecting crew? Someone was whispering in their ear even then.

Likewise we have inklings of another party working against FarmaTek/Omni-Tek that special sense ('seisense' was it?) that pervaded the 'good' Solitus. How's that for a 'skills vs. equipment' foreshadowing? Solitus with the senses to hunt the Omega. Omega with the tools and machinery to fight back.

So we see humanity dropped back where it all began on the dusty planet ... 'Dust to Dust'. (The Allman Brothers got a good song 'Back where it all began.) We see two factions poised to play out a final move in a game manipulated by beings 'higher' than they. The Dust Brigade, we can be rest assured are simply playing their part as instigators of the 10th frame, the 9th inning, the two minute drill.

Now that's just the game that the 'others' have set up for themselves to watch. How much you wanna bet they have a wager on the outcome?

As for Act II, perhaps it's not Omni-Tek and Roland Drake vs. 'The Clans' and David Marlin. Perhaps (in somewhat tired literary terms) it will end up being all of humanity finally refusing to play the game and rising up against their puppeteers. How many times must humanity rise up and be crushed down again at the whims of these game masters? How many times has it happened in the past and when will it end?
    Last edited by Bionitrous; Aug 31st, 2002 at 20:37:08.

The Outzone? It's not closely monitored (SBC actually had some operations running out there for a while before OT noticed) and considering their hefty survival gear...I'd say this is their base of operations.
    Close, but highly unlikely. This isn't some small-time mining operation, this is going to be an area roughly the size of Omni-Ent's sewers district, possibly much larger. Plus it's putting out broadcasts of some kind. No, good thinking, but ultimately wrong. Still, if my first guess is wrong, this WOULD be my second. Any other takers?

wow...

for once I agree Bitronus....

im drunk nd strupid...but thats been a theory ive held since day one.

They are hard to kill..

they have equipment thats very uber...

they dont show up in numbers...

if ther were sponsored by Omega....it woudl make sense.

if Clan OR omni had acces to this kind of tehnology or power...wouldnt you think they would use it more?

Omni is resitricted by certaing comapny dictates that make it hard to just slaughter everyone...so they woud have a hard time supportin it.

If Clan had tech like this..wed all take over Omni-1

(wont talk about the neuts)

so who else is it?>

Originally posted by Lily Inverse

Close, but highly unlikely. This isn't some small-time mining operation, this is going to be an area roughly the size of Omni-Ent's sewers district, possibly much larger. Plus it's putting out broadcasts of some kind. No, good thinking, but ultimately wrong. Still, if my first guess is wrong, this WOULD be my second. Any other takers?
    Not sure I understand. Are you saying the Outzone isn't big enough to hold the DB operations? The Outzone is all the territory remaining on Rubi-Ka which has yet to be terraformed well enough to sustain life. I would guess that is well over 50% of the planet's surface.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Not sure I understand. Are you saying the Outzone isn't big enough to hold the DB operations?
    No, the Outzone is large enough to hold their operations, but such an operation would be too big to hide for any length of time, particularly given the effort needed to construct it. The trick is "What's already in place that could be converted, and is large enough to hold such facilities?" The answer is so simple I'm suprised it hasn't been thought of yet.

I'm really getting reminded of that old Star Trek episode where these old superbeings who were nothing more than brains enslaved people and had them fight each other to the death while they bet on the outcome.

Either that or 'Trading Places' where the two nads at the top of some company pit Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd at each other's throats.

We know the Omega's started Omni-Tek after they got beat by the Solitus. We know that the Omega's probably could pump up Omni-Tek enough to take out the Clans in a heartbeat.

Seems like this conflict is being 'set up'. The Dust Brigade are there to stir the pot and rile up the bee's nest. Kinda like demented referees in a boxing match.

Originally posted by Lily Inverse

No, the Outzone is large enough to hold their operations, but such an operation would be too big to hide for any length of time, particularly given the effort needed to construct it. The trick is "What's already in place that could be converted, and is large enough to hold such facilities?" The answer is so simple I'm suprised it hasn't been thought of yet.
    Sounds like 4HO?

Sounds like 4HO?
    /me resists urge to scream

No, not at all. They need lots of Notum, right? Think of where and how Omni used to get Notum before being driven from the north.

I didn't realize this was some sort of guessing game....

If you have a theory on where they may be based, go ahead and share it. I personally still believe they are most likely based in the Outzone. I'm sure there are plenty of old facilities and outposts left over from the last two major corporate wars to provide ample hide-outs and staging grounds for a major terrorist movement as well as a good meeting place with their off-world counterparts.
    Last edited by Luxxan; Sep 3rd, 2002 at 21:49:01.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast