Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Grim truth unfolds

Well, you can't breathe in the Outzone as it is not terraformed, if that helps your theories out any. Sure would be kinda fun running around in a pressure suit constantly. Doesn't sound good for logistics.

Of course Omni-Tek has enough satellites to pick up any large scale surface base. Hell, Kennedy set up the blockade on Cuba from spy satellite photes in 1962. I hope you agree we can be assured they have no surface facilities. Unless of course Omni-Tek has been instructed to 'ignore' certain anomolties on their surface scans.

This leaves you under the dirt somewhere. Once again, unless the above caveat holds true, they couldn't be in the Outzone undetected. Any underground facility would either emit a ton of thermal energy as compared to the base planet temperature or simply expose itself by the outgassing of O2, CO2, and other by-products of an underground camp.

Rubi'Ka's native atmosphere is not breathable if the narrative of the first two prospecting teams is to be taken at face value.

Underwater could be a very good and unexpected place to hide. The water would act as a nice heat sink and refuse distribution medium. Probably impossible to detect from space.

But, just the fact that we saw Drake tied into Omni-Tek headquarters and were described his underground facility leads me to stand firm in my belief that the Dusters are in something similar provided by the same people who provided for the housing of Omni-Tek's shadow and de'facto CEO.

You're forgetting the fact that the constant electrical storms and "something weird" about Rubi-Ka has kept things like satellites or any other detection mechanisms from ever working effectively. This is why the ICC was unable to detect anything unusual about the planet when Omni-Tek requested lease in the first place, and why OT has never had a working weather control system. The Outzone is no doubt constantly plagued by storms which would effectively shield them from detection both visually and electromagetically. Not to mention the fact that they have half a planet to hide in. I don't think it's much of a stretch at all to think they're out there.

In any case, the alternative is that they're somewhere in the terraformed part of the world, which would arguably be even easier to detect.
    Last edited by Luxxan; Sep 3rd, 2002 at 21:49:55.
    Clan fixer, Fourth Title

Director of Information
    Analog Myth

You're forgetting the fact that the constant electrical storms and "something weird" about Rubi-Ka has kept things like satellites or any other detection mechanisms from ever working effectively.
    While I don't think this would apply to a simple telescoping camera, you're right that they'd be harder to detect out there, but . . .

In any case, the alternative is that they're somewhere in the terraformed part of the world, which would arguably be even easier to detect.
    However, I'm thinking of a place nobody sane would ever really look in. Down. Very very far down. When Omni pulled back from the North, there had to be some notum mines that were abandonded while still holding vast resources of the stuff. What would prevent the Dust Brigade from setting up shop right within easy reach of everything they need, as well as everyone they want to attack. The heavy-duty survival gear, immediate access to resources, and a near-perfect hiding place.

Yes, a natural cavern system in the Outlands would have many of the same benefits of a base set up in an old notum mine, , but anything sufficently remote would cause other problems, such as a lack of Grid access.

Wouldn't that be a nasty surprise when we get the ability to set up our own mines. Notum's flowing in, all nice and easy, then suddenly masked DB commandos come swarming up from the depths like ants.

Regarding lack of Grid access. As we saw in the last chapters of Prophet without Honor, the Omega that is hidden underground had full access to Omni-Tek's newfeeds and presumably all electronic transmissions. Would it not make sense for him to have his own 'backdoor' to Omni-Com's Grid network?

The Duster's only purpose seems to be stirring up the conflict. Seems to make sense they are backed by a third party. While that could very well be one of Omni-Tek's corporate rivals looking for another war to weaken the Company, it seems that the apocalyptic events about to unfold would preclude such a trivial competitor from serious consideration.

That is unless we have more than two parties driving their little human 'proteges'. We've seen 'higher forces' lead the Solitus to defeat the Omega (after being previously enslaved). It is possible that we got a third trouble maker out there who just hasn't laid all 'its' cards on the table yet. Doubtful, but possible.

We see whoever was driving the Omegas (and FarmaTek/Omni-Tek in kind) to be fairly typical 'Lawful Evil' and those with the Seisense who led to David Marlin's birth to be fairly prototypically 'Lawful Good'. Is there a third puppetmaster out there whose modus operandi is simply 'Chaotic Neutral'?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12