Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funcom Rocks!

Funcom Rocks!

This is my first ever MMORPG and i love it, i cant wait for the expansion packs, just include a feature to go somewhere to choose a new hair style, now that would rock

This will probably be your second MMORPG

Your Second MMORPG

As a 6 yr vet MMORPG'er , I'd suggest trying this one when its gets released in December , it will blow your mind away.

Yea thx i was planning to switch to that in december, but i wasnt sure because of the expansion pack for AO

Stick around

Stay awhile and see what AO can offer you. You will be pleasantly surprised. Just take the time to try new things (I'm not talking about new games), go new places, and meet new people.
    ArchPriest Katelin 'Lunayu' Saar - Former President of the Guild of Meta-Physics
    Former Council Member of the Council of Truth

House Demonslap
    A little Anger never hurt Nobody...

"It's called an Anger Manifestation not a Love Manifestation!"
    "And how does that make you feel?"

hit

Thing is, SWG looks so good, yet i love the AO game and the community. I've been given 30k once for nothing, it would have usualy taken me weeks and weeks to save up that much
    The thing im worried about is im not the richest of people, and if i go out and buy the booster pack and the expansion pack, which i am, and the company goes bust, that will be my money down the drain. Every1 talks of funcom being in trouble and i'd rather not put all this time and effort into my charate only for it to be deleted if funcom goes bust At least with SWG i'd know it wasnt going anywhere

Regards,
    Cazza

EQ was fun but it was managed horribly and the customer service was the worst I've seen. I guess now that they ditched Brad things are starting to change for the better. Him and that vision thing sucked.

AC was a good game but MS didnt care anything about cheaters and exploiters and that damn zone thing really sucked. A good game but not as good as EQ.

DAoC has great management and good customer service but seriously I've never played a more unfinished game in the universe. I turned down a chance to test their new beta and decided to resub to AO because of all the game I've played I like it the best for more reasons I can mention here.
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

Wink

I guess that means you where not here last year at release of AO then.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

Any1 got any comments on my above post ?
    :: Disco "Strayduck" Duck - Equipment - History ::

No I wasnt here the last year for AO. I dont buy games that are extremely unstable and I always read the boards and here the word on the streets about a game before I buy it.

I waited until I started hearing good things about AO and then tried the seven day trial thing. I liked what I saw and now I am here with all my sucky characters to enjoy the show.

I didnt buy Ultima 9 either. AO turned out to be a pleasent surprise and their customer service has been really nice to me so I'm happy.
    Fear is the Mind Killer.
    You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?

funcom have been through some rocky patches, but they are still planning ahead, so things seem to be ok, at least for the present. And dont put all your faith in big business at the moment, Can you say Enron, not many people thought they where going anywhere either..........

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Originally posted by Cazza
    Thing is, SWG looks so good, yet i love the AO game and the community. I've been given 30k once for nothing, it would have usualy taken me weeks and weeks to save up that much
    The thing im worried about is im not the richest of people, and if i go out and buy the booster pack and the expansion pack, which i am, and the company goes bust, that will be my money down the drain. Every1 talks of funcom being in trouble and i'd rather not put all this time and effort into my charate only for it to be deleted if funcom goes bust At least with SWG i'd know it wasnt going anywhere

Regards,
    Cazza
    Funcom is not in trouble, nor will they be... people screaming that are mad at the game. Seems people get mad and start yelling "AO is dead" or "Funcom will be bankrupt soon"... they say this because they are leaving the game.. and in their mind everyone else is too...

This game will remain... I'm sure people will try SWG and some will move.. some might even come on here ranting about how AO will die or is dead, at the release of SWG... but like most games it will most likely be released with bugs and have a different way of operating and character creation and different way of interaction... some people will try SWG and come back... some people will wait to see the reviews on SWG before they try it... some people thing SWG will be a huge group of 8 year old running around acting like idiots... Lots of people were saying the same thing about AO before it beta'd and evn during it's beta as people are now saying about SWG.

The biggest thing SWG has going for it is familiarity. A lot of people are familiar with the Star Wars movies... to many if it doesn't live up to the movies.. they will leave... when this game was released there were a lot more griefers than there are now... there were a lot more exploiters too... I have read a forums where a lot of people who were banned from AO as exploiters are planning on playing SWG...

What will they do there? THey will exploit of course. They will exploit until the exploit is fixed.. and maybe eventually they will be banned there too... most of the time as happened in many other games they will not be banned before they have already damaged the game or economy.

If your expectations are high, I can guarantee only one thing... you will be disappointed... the biggest difference I have seen between the people who are happy playing this game and the whiners are expectations... if you expect the game to be the greatest ever, you more likely than not will be greatly disappointed

this all being said... I will be playing AO, but I'm sure I will try SWG as well... nothing like being a noob and the feeling of discovery all over again... I will not however be giving up my AO account, because with noobness comes frustration... And with new computer releases of MMORPG's comes bugs.. and those bugs come in swarms.

i love fc as well

great seeing new changes to the pvp.... used to love pvp, going to love it again )(

Regards,
    Cazza
    Ill try.

My view is a little one sided , but ill try give some realistic points to both.

Anarchy Online:
    Good points:

Its a good game full stop.
    Funcom wont go out of business for a good few years yet and hopefully with the expansion coming up next year will revive the storyline and bring AO back on track to be a competative game.

Its uses its Level/Skills based system quite well and everything fits nicely to the *in the future* theme.

There is a community of RPers out there , they usually hang about the clubs and roleplaying forum , im not sure about PvP ive not done a great deal of it.

Bad Points:

Its buggy as hell , to date its the buggiest online game ive played and the bugs it has i consider game stopping bugs , the problem is there are bugs still existant from release which is worrying.
    Also to note , Funcom dont have a Bug hunting department (paid that is) they are all voluteer players appart of the ARK program.

Game design and coding seems to be very messed up , things like huge computer lag on top end machines , it doesnt handle large PvP meetings very well and the servers seem equally unstable , never seen zones drop as often as in AO.

They make alot of promises and then seem to go back on thier word, this has happened on many occasions
    One of the recent worrying things they did was to make item restricted items, this goes against the skills based system that many if not all players prefer.

The storyline was suppose to be a 4 year storyline , it isnt and never will be , Funcom failed drastically on the 4 year storyline promise , months have/did gone by without any word from Funcom in reguards to the storyline.

PvP is unbalanced , Doctors will beat you most of the time on a lvl vrs lvl basis , but in most cases the PvP benefits belong to the lvl 200's.

The biggest problem is , not alot seems to be getting done to resolve all the above problems.

Unfortunatly after about 6 months of playing AO it starts to lose its lust , by this time you have done hundreds of missions , and there seems little else to do.

Star Wars Galaxies:

Good Points:

Skill based system , It has the best system of all , your character is just a blank template , you decide which skills to invest in .. for example you could be a dancing Jedi with hair dressing skills and an affinity to growing plants .. bliss. Complete control which usually leads to balanced classes ,which is one of the most complained about things in MMORPG.

Its HUGE , think of the entire land mass of AO .. times it by 4 (bout the size of Everquest) then times that by 9 planets. Each with its own landscape.

It has the best graphics to date of any MMORPG , however be prepared to pay for that pleasure if you dont have a Gforce card .. forgive me but i cant quite remember what SWG needs but its something thats on the Gforce cards , if you have a TNT2 (which i have)you will have to replace it with a supported card.

Content should be excessive , the company Lucas Arts will be on the ball with this and overlooking anything that gets added stays within the scope of Star Wars and its continuity.

It has the backing of Sony Verant and Lucas Arts which are huge and sucessful companys , with huge amounts of funds to make SWG the best , they say money talks , in this case it cleans your arse for you too. lots of investment will allow the team to be experts , it will have those special little must haves like computer engineering and base structors to ensure that SWG is coded neatly and efficiently.

And about the team .. it consists of UO developers .. UO had the best skill based system in MMORPG to date .. same as SWG , chars had a blank template and you had complete control over your character , the other benefit UO had was the ability to own your own home , along with a complete crafts system to build all the nifty little items to make your home the perfect little nest.

It alos has with it EQ developers , these guys have the expertise of running a huge and highly sucessful 3D game , along with thier excellent faction system and attention to detail , with the UO devs they are going to push MMORPG programming to new levels , its an ideal situation to be in.

Going back to trade skills .. SWG will have more skills based on trade that actual combat skills , this will increase your interest in SWG by at least 2 - 4 years,although with this kind of project i expect that the life span of this particular game will hit arounf the 5 year mark. (UO had about a 3 year life span(before bordom starts nagging at you that is).

Bad Points:

I only have one bad point to put here , but its a big one.

It not been released yet , Barely just started beta , things can change drastically in the next 4 months , solme things might make release, some things might not, when it does get released it could be riddled with bugs it might not, it could fail drastically in many places , Trade skills for example could have serious defects that unbalance the game.

The unknown is what is the thorn in the side of this game but if it does go well , and things do go as expected , SWG will beat ANY game out there hands down!.

The choice is yours , personally I think you will know what your choice is by the time SWG is released.

Ive been playing Online games for about 6 years now , Im voting for SWG as the next big MMORPG,at least for a good few years till someone else with huge funds and expertise comes along and makes another.
    Last edited by Yorkforce; Aug 20th, 2002 at 21:48:36.

"It has the best graphics to date of any MMORPG , however be prepared to pay for that pleasure if you dont have a Gforce card .. forgive me but i cant quite remember what SWG needs but its something thats on the Gforce cards"

TNL?

"It has the best graphics to date of any MMORPG , however be prepared to pay for that pleasure if you dont have a Gforce card .. forgive me but i cant quite remember what SWG needs but its something thats on the Gforce cards"

TNL?
    Yep , Hardware T+L must be supported by your card to play SWG.

Hopefully a nice little program called 3D Analize will get me around this since im on a kyro2

Originally posted by Yorkforce
    Its buggy as hell , to date its the buggiest online game ive played and the bugs it has i consider game stopping bugs , the problem is there are bugs still existant from release which is worrying.
    Also to note , Funcom dont have a Bug hunting department (paid that is) they are all voluteer players appart of the ARK program.
    Just to point out Funcom does have a paid Bug hunting department, as part of the Devs (its where your bug reports go to, to be dublicated so the Devs can fix them.

Hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Originally posted by lilnymph

Just to point out Funcom does have a paid Bug hunting department, as part of the Devs (its where your bug reports go to, to be dublicated so the Devs can fix them.

Hugs

lilnymph
    If the buggy buggreport does work at the time that is.
    Troll Commando, doing the dirty work that need to be done.

?

Heck, I don't even know if Funcom rocks or not. There's so little communication between them and us, that, for I could know ninety percent of the company could just be sitting around drinking beer, watching girlie flicks and making jokes about us while Ragnar and Cosmik work their asses off.

Somebody teach these guys a thing or two (perhaps even three!) about public relations.

Originally posted by lilnymph

Hugs

lilnymph
    They have Bug fixers yes , but they dont have Bug hunters.

Gonna have to read what im saying here lilnymph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast