Thread: Lost, but when?

Lost, but when?

Gunnar Warshaw, whom his friends all called Commanderbtz, sat on an outcropping of some old ruin in that ancient wreck Adonis City deep in the Shadowlands. He had to do some climbing to get here and the view across the Abyss fitted his mood so there he sat. The wind was fresh here, if you could call any of the air in this strange land, fresh. That word never seemed to fit it, rather no word he knew of was proper for this land.

The shadowlands was not a safe place and Adonis was no different. He idly checked his NCU: all programs running with plenty of time to allow him to brood. Brooding was all he seemed to do these days after comming to Adonis. He remembered when full of new vision had come here to explore, to find a challange, later to serve the cause of strange beings he met here. What had changed so recently? What had fled to void him of his might, the joy that his ever increasing might and power had brough him? His alliances had paid off well. He was equiped with the most superior example of a Perennium Blaster he had ever seen, his armor was a thing of spirit-tech mastery, his skill with his weapons had begun to amaze even him. In battle he was fearless, mighty, sometimes he even felt almost god-like and untouchable shrugging off terrible blows by beasts that are the stuff of nightmares. Commanding squads of men and women into battle, what joy. And the joy that pulling the trigger and watching the redeemed fall, where did that go as well?

"Where did it change, why do I feel so cold within. It was then, yes, when I spoke to that Omega... Erick something."

Gunnar remembered that conversation with discomfort. That arrogant Omega, he should be dead punnished with the rest of his kind. But Erick had told him things, things that confused him, things that angered him, things that poked holes into the path he walked, and things that made him question if he was not in the end, going to end up a creature like the Omegas. Void and empty. Even of the power they supposedly held, they in fact were empty, voided of their power by time itself and the emptyness within. It was then that he woke up to that same growing void, in himself. Erick had seen this and was delighted to witness the discomfort of Gunanar. But somehow that wasnt all of it for he had continued deeper into the Shadowlands, seeking more power, but perhaps that had been to forget.

He was after all a loyal employee of Omni-Tek. He had served them well for many years befor embarking on this quest. Omni-Tek was progress, saftey, and order. So too were the goals of those called the Unredeemed, his close allies here in this strange land. So what now was causing him so much brooding, and worry. He was just not finding joy in it anymore and couldn't figgure out why. He saw a redeemed pass within weapons range. He fingered his blaster, but just couldnt get up the will-power to raise it and fire. He really didnt care about the misguided creature, they already hatted him and had a bounty on his head. He should kill every one of them he saw. Sighing heavily as it moved out of range he layed back and looked at the vortex in the distance.....

"What I need is to see my wife again, mabey spend some time back on good old Rubi-Ka. Mabey kill some clanners just for kicks. Mabey there will be some pleasure in that, or at the very least, there is always pleasure at seeing my wife." He said with a wry grin alighting on his face. Gunnar lept from his high point skidding down the slopping side of the ruin. His ballance, impeciable, advanced sensors and even ancient symbiotic organisms guided his movements keept him smooth and agile like a cat. His feet touching the paved walkway of the old city he took off toward the Statue. It would return him to the garden, the fastest and easiesty path back to Rubi-Ka. He'd be back in good old Rome in no time flat. A flicker of shadow on the right caught his eye. Reacting on reflex alone his gun raised his advanced senses guiding it he spun up the blaster to unleash its fully volley, he had no desire to waste time on such a lowly being. The glimmering outline of a migthy spirit moved out of the shadows seemingly drawn to Gunnar, it didnt get more than a step before its form was torn to glimmering waste by the hail of blaster fire. Without even stoping he reloaded and reached the statue. Such things were annoyances to him. He pulled the chain holding a strange glyphed object out of his pack and held it before the Statue and in an instant he was whisked away to the Garden of Dalja. He smiled, he would be back in Rome soon as he ran eastish toward the Shadow Statue that would take him to Thrak and from there it was a short trip to home and friends he had not seen in quite a while and the woman he loved.
    Last edited by meatybtz; Jan 12th, 2007 at 21:43:38.

Home?

Gunnar steped into the Whompa from Jobe to Romes Green District. His body digitized and sent faster than light across the distance he rematerialized on the other side without missing a step. Still feeling somewhat energized by his decision to come back for a while he stretched and breathed deeply. His energy fled him, the sounds the sights the people, all seemed so grey to him. Rome no longer felt the way he remembered it.

"Is this my home? Have I been so changed that it is lost to me? I see it for the lies it is and while it does not make me feel good it also does not make me feel bad. It feels so flat...", he said aloud though none heard for none cared and were busy about their own buisness. He looked at the nameless omni-pol officer standing guard beside the whompa to Jobe. He looked through the man, he was nothing and had no future, not like Gunnar. That guard was a small thing a static thing, something to be lost in time. Gunnar could kill it and not care.

"What is happenig to me? Is this some sort of side effect of the Chosen Ones resurection machinery?", Gunnar wondered. Indeed the though troubled him for he had died many times in the Shadowlands, his body torn asunder, organs smashed. He knew the pain of death a hundred times but always the power of the Chosen brought him back. The body can be reassembled but can the soul always be restored as well? Does something go away every time or is this truly the price of power. Somewhere some place else something dark laughed soundlessly and unnoticed by Gunnar.

"Time to call the wife..," he flicked on the comm implant with a though and another though selected the channel labeled Bronze. A flashing though was returned 'Channel Unavailable, target not in service area or unreachable'. "Ahh probably off releaving some clanner of valuable merchanidse as always you whily trader you. I remember when we met 'Nothing about a clanner that a shotgun cant fix, and its so profitable.' tyou had said." Gunnar mentaly commanded the comm system to leave a message on the channel to be delievered on target availability "In rome, would love to see you when your done 'conducting buisness' -Gunnar".

Thinking he would like some food and as the place he wanted to eat was over in the Blue District he figgred a bit of flying would feel good. Reaching into his pack he pulled out a small dimensional crushing device. He placed it on the ground and pressed a button on its side. With a swirl of energy and nanobots a sleek sliver "Yalm" appeared. Its door opened with a mental command and he steped in and speed off into the airborn traffic as the suns began to set. As always it was beautiful and it stirred something inside him. So much so that he stoped the yalm in a traffic lane and prompted some angry sounds being issued from other travelers forced to dodge him. He sat there ignoring those small people and their small concerns and enjoyed the beauty. Here was something of worth. Moments of beauty caught in time and codified in a mind. He would live forever and this would be his forever. Somehow that though seemed right, though he knew he couldnt live forever at least as far as he could understand. All those he now served, he would surpass. The Chosen and their small minds could not hold what lay in store for him. This filled him and made him feel strong and good. Yes, he would spend some time here in Rubi-ka then he would return and seek out this destiny of his and then he would deal with all those who looked at him as a servant. He knew how to play the game.