Thread: Adventurer's Backpack

Question Pioneer Backpack

Wondering why this item is so hot in auctions, when it really has mediocre stats. Anyone shed any light here?

--edited to correct Adventurer to Pioneer
    Last edited by Meddix; Aug 29th, 2002 at 12:36:40.
    Saving lives since, oh, forever it seems..........

If you're referring to the Pioneer Backpack, it is because it doesn't drop anymore. It was a gift to players who started during the grand opening of AO (they could type /claim to get one). A few months ago FC allowed players who started their character before a certain date to be able to get the item again, but that only lasted a week.

Basically, there is nothing too special about the backpack, but it is a very very nice twink item. It's the best back armor a lowbie can wear. The First Aid can keep you alive since most lowbies just wear Omni-Med suits, the +10 FA can allow you to use that stim that requires 93 FA, instead of the one that requires 71 FA. The Run Speed is noticable to a level 1 character, and makes getting around cities that much easier. The 1% XP mod will allow you to out level anyone you team with. Also, the +150 Tutoring will allow you to use a Computer Lit Tutoring Device that can give you +8 CL, without raising tutoring at all. A free +8 CL is nice for getting better belts and NCU on sooner.

After level 50ish, the item loses a lot of it's appeal. I still use mine for trade skills now, as the +150 tutoring, along with tutoring implants, gets me to 1000 tutoring. With that I can use Ql200 Tutoring devices which is an extra +50 to any tradeskill.

If you're not referring to the Pioneer, then I don't know what you're talking about. :]

Ya, I made a boo-boo in my description.
    Thanks for the info. Was just wondering what the fervor was all about. I've had my Pioneer Backpacks for over a year now, in mothballs, so to speak, since I just reactivated my accounts after a year+ absence.
    Saving lives since, oh, forever it seems..........

Its quite useful later on too ....

Missing a single point in int to get that pesky implant in? (common problem for us troxes)
    or missing a point from an ability based on int?

The pack can help... even a lvl 181 soldier
    Legion
    Beartwo

and a whole litter of bearcubs ...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
    "You see me now, a soldier, of a 1000 psychic wars...." -- Blue Oyster Cult