Thread: Meanwhile on Rubi-Ka...

Mirura sat on a couch in her Old Athen apartment, pencil and paper in her hands, scribbling down a list.

"Optical enhancement.. Integrated gridlink, data access for sure, maybe a motion detector? Nah, it'll cost too much. What else was I thinking about back there?"

She looked at a picture displaying the planned structure of her upcoming underskin microcomputer and eye augments and bit the pencil's nonfunctional tip in thoughts.

The light on her wristpad started blinking and Mir groaned, opening her comm line.

"What now? Oh. Hey, man, I've told you I'm getting the money, just wait a few more days, okay? No? Oh come on. Pretty please."

The voice on the other end of the discussion didn't sound all too pleased with her answer. One way insults were flinged across the comm line, including sexist remarks of Mirura's competence in the field. Mir took her comm unit off her ear for the duration of it and rolled her eyes.

"Hey, chill down, look, I got it coming. I emptied a cop's bank account recently but we gotta divide the money first. Yeah, can you believe it? I still got the sod's account card right here in my pocket. But I got work to do here, I'll call you when I get the money. Stop bugging me."

Mir shut the man off her comm line and let a deep sigh.

"Where was I? Oh, right, the Gridlink.. And maybe NCU control, hardwired to the microcomputer. This is going to be sooooo awesome!"

She smiled broadly and wrote it down on the list. Her gaze shifted briefly to the pitch black Death Squad helmet resting on her table, skull emblem painted to the front. Yes, things would get much better very soon. All her worries would be over.

And once again Mir forgot all about the evergrowing pile of debts she really should clear up.
    Last edited by Mirura; Nov 24th, 2008 at 10:43:40.

A big yawn, a long stretch and Fawnspawn slowly opens her eyes. Snug in her tree she's been sleeping for what seems like ages. The familiar sounds of the leets and reets surrounding her tree mix with the off-tone chittering of the stalkers. Her body a bit stiff, she gets up and peeks out to the pond nearby. Ah, clear and sunny. Just right to take a dip, she thinks to herself. Suddenly her comm explodes with alerts and greetings, startling a particularly cute leet from it's slumber nearby.

"Hey everyone! How's it going?" she asks cheerfully as she scans the many chat bots for her old acquaintances and fellow orgmates.

After about 10 minutes saying hello to everyone she stands for a moment, grins, then runs and jumps into the pond, making a huge splash. Leets squeak and run away, reets fly up in a cloud of color and the water slowly settles as Fawn floats on her back, her opi skin nearly glowing in the dawn. The cool water, so refreshing, slides along her skin and beads on her abdomen. She watches the suns rise, the colors reflected on the water and coloring the land with a golden glow tinged with a bit of blue. So peaceful, you wouldn't even know that there are battles to be fought, loves to be won and lost, life and death dancing it's eternal waltz, she thinks with a small sad sigh. She dives down and swims to shore, turning to wolf form to shake the water more thoroughly from her body.

Reverting to her original opi form she gathers her armor and blades and slips to her tree to don them, then to parrot form to fly to her apartment. She nods to the Omni guards as she enters the backyard and walks quickly to her door. No one would have guessed that she lived in such a luxurious Rubi-Kan apartment. Flinging open the door, with no sense of homecoming she changes quickly into her uniform as the stereo plays the latest Gridstream Productions playlist. The music thaws her cold thoughts and she takes a minute to grab a bite of cold, fresh leet pie and a drink from the bar. She sips as she checks her private message alerts near the door and scans the news.

Nothing on Agrestus at least, she giggles as she makes for the door, ignoring the paintings and plants that nonetheless thrived in her absence.

"Las, can you meet me in Bor? I need an update on the current situation of the Neutral celebration."

"No problem, General. I'll be there shortly, just --" the sounds of gunfire cut off Lasliana's voice, a couple heavy thwacks and a loud oath and then "as soon as HEY YOU! GET YOUR PAWS OFF THE LOOT YOU BLOODY--I OUGHT TO PUT A HOLE IN YOUR HEAD TO MATCH THE ONE IN YOUR .... yeah, when I finish here." Lasliana finishes finally with an exasperated sigh. "Noobs," she mutters grumpily into her comm.

"Take your time, old friend. I'll see you in Bor. Let me know when you're free." Fawn shakes her head and grins, good old Las. It will be good to spend more time with them, she thought. It's been a while, and things have not been easy during my absence, but hell, I had to go, she thinks ruefully. Some offworldness is good, isn't it?

With a deep breath she again takes parrot form and gladly leaves her apartment behind. With a tilt of her wings to the Unicorns she enters the grid and moves her tingling matter to the Borealis exit.

"How are things in Newland, Minister Agrestus?" Fawn asks in her private channel as she casually meanders to the Whompahs.

"We're getting ready for the celebration, isn't everyone?" Agrestus says with a wink.

"Let me know if you need any help, I'll be giving a speech hopefully and am looking forward to the crowd. I'm giving buffs too, if there are any someone needs from a poor Advy like me." Fawn giggles a bit.

"See you later, Fawn, I've got a meeting shortly that I could miss but then I'd be in the tabloids again," Agrestus smiles ruefully.

"See you later Mr. Popularity," Fawn winks and shuts chat. She looks around the org spot, seeing a few new members and some familiar faces.

It's so good to be home........
    Last edited by Fawnspawn; Nov 25th, 2008 at 13:13:06.

The older gentleman looked at the opifex woman sitting across from him.

"...I'll show up with my crew to harvest what you have yearly. I'll even give you some tips on what to do and when to do it. I can also supply you with a small crew to help with the daily tasks.

Nice to see you keeping it as a working farm, most of you young people would try to build a resort there."

She smiled, "Don't give me any ideas. No, this is a home now. No high-rises, no tourists."

He stood and offered a calloused hand. She stood and offered her own. He firmly gripped her hand, shaking it vigorously, a smile on his face.

"It's a deal then. I'll be there tomorrow morning an hour before sun up. You be ready to get to work", he finished.

She asked, "You don't know a good remodeler, do you? No reason not to make it 'my' home."

He smiled, "Sure do. I'll bring him along."

Down the spiral

Sometimes things go unlike you first expected. Sometimes they do in the worst possible ways.
    Several backpacks of hastily gathered belongings littered the floor in a small, murky basement in Tir - no comforts, only an old sofa to sleep on, but at least the place would be secure to stay in for a while. Maybe a long while, at least until all the noise would calm down. And if they found her hideout, she had an escape plan ready. Her comm lines had been cut off, all but a select few that she ran under encryption, and she monitored the Channel 42 anonymously in case someone slipped information she could use.
    But how did it ever go to this? Yes, if Chaupin had never walked into the wrong place at the very worst time, it would not have been necessary. She could have continued her business with them on a simple contract, carried on with her normal life. But now there was no turning back from the road she had set on. DCI Hunt knew and it was only a matter of time now that the Pol and everyone else knew. Soon there would be warrants and she'd be on the run.

Who them? Oh, yeah, Black-Net. The notorious criminal network, stretching across 17 planets, recently landed on Rubi-Ka. Now the only thing in the world she could trust in and depend on. Part of her felt accomplished and honored to be one of them, part of her was frightened, lonely and insecure. It was as if she had gotten lost somewhere very cold and dark and could not find a way home any longer.

Mirura could never have expected her life to turn to this so fast. Now, huddled in the corner of her hideout's couch, curled up under a blanket, she injected a stim of narcotic nanobots into her bloodstream and felt a little better.

Body Over Mind

"I could use some healing over here!"

"What the.....Hit it! Kill it! Quick!"

"Oh noes, the doc's going down, we need to kill it NOW!!"

"My rifle's jammed!"

"RUN DOC!"

"I've got aggro, hurry up and heal doc, can't hold it for long!"

"ADDS! We've got adds!"

"Keep on the main one, let the pets take out the adds."

"We all have to hit the same one! Use the assist function, noob!"

"My auto target has gone crazy, darn RUR made scope!"

"Keep agg off the doc, don't use your specials until you need to grab agg."

"Last one, keep it coming! We're cutting through them!"

"Take 'em out."

Amidst the carcasses and blood-soaked terrain Fawnspawn's team let out a victory cry that rang from the edges of the brink. The elation, the fierce joy, the rush of adrenaline and the burn of the coils healing her battered body marked the successful campaign against the wicked creatures lurking at the torn edges of the Shadowlands. As everyone congratulated themselves and each other on a job well done, Fawn looked to the brilliant spiralling light above. It was hard to tell time here, and on rare occasions she'd been up for days, not realizing how much time had passed as she battled on, the rage consuming her and laying death in a rhythm. Soon it was almost hypnotic -- slash, stab, cut, the crimson splashing across her armor, her face. One good thing about visors, they are not pretty but serve their purpose, she thought ruefully. Now if I could just find a pond, or a lake.....or an ocean......

The adrenaline seeped from her body as she headed towards Jobe. The quick bath she took in the shallow waters under Port Seven had her armor and face clean as ever. She'd need to take a proper bath when she got home but for now that would do. Soon, however, her chirops felt like she was trying to drag a heckler with each hand when just an hour before they seemed weightless, almost as if they were guiding her hand to the enemy instead of her arm swinging the chirops to their deadly target. If only.....Yes! Her teleportation was finally ready, and here she was nearly to Jobe. Well, rather not have to walk the rest of the way to Borealis, she thought, wearily tracing her route in her mind. She triggered the teleportation and within a minute was near the Bronto Burger in Newland City. May as well get a bite to eat while I'm here, she thought and shrugged.

"One Double Bronto Cheese please, with a bottle of fresh water, a slice of Chocolate Cake and a cup of tea please." Fawn watched dumbly as her dinner was prepared quickly and served to her within minutes. She automatically slid into a seat at the patio, oblivious to the bustle of business or the incoming warps in front of Neuters. She didn't even taste the burger, the cake or the tea. With her stomach full and her body relaxed from the warmth of the tea, Fawn's head slowly sank to the table in exhausted slumber, her hand sliding down the unopened bottle of water. Around her, people's conversations buzzed and the commerce at the Bronto Burger continued in a steady stream of customers. Still, oblivious to the snickers and jokes, she slept.

A safe haven, for now

"Grand theft, assault with a deadly weapon, assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, theft of funds.. And now breaking out of police detainment? Do they even have an official name for that?"

Mirura rubbed her wrists aching from the handcuffs, now securely back at Larnue's place in Tir. She finished recording her journal entry and set her wristpad aside.

"How many years do you think I could get for that, Red? Man, I'd love to see their faces when they realise what's happened."

She popped open a can of stolen Yuttos Energy and kicked back comfortably. What an adventure!

Night enshrouded the city of Borealis. The Jobe Transporter hummed. The inner workings of the machine clicked and purred. The sound rose to a crescendo, making the transporter's characteristic "whompa!" noise.

The new arrival crouched on the pavement and furtively glanced about her. Naked but for the tattoos covering her body, she clutched two shining blades. No one was about except a careless citizen discarding some trash in the street before moving on.

Quick as lightning, the small figure sprang away and over the city wall.

(about a certain well-known fixer )

Looking over the great desert wasteland called "The Outzones", noting how the scavengers divulge themselves on yet another "outzone tourist", or adventurer as they call themselves that thought he could find treasures out here.

"Dam tourists, you would have thought the agencies would stop sending these "adventurers" out here when none of them ever return"

looking on it was otherwise the same old enviroment, dried out land as far as the eye can see, here and there a dried and died out piece of shrub, some lizards that can bare the scorching sun, seeing as there's no enviromental control out here.

Glad to see he was alone, he ducked back in his somewhat cool shelter, waiting out time till it became evening, better for scouting.... and hunting food...

The famous artist and director Puppy-Zee sat at his table and took another sip of his drink. "This is it." He handed a disk to Eeod.
    "You've finished the commercial? That is great! I cant wait to see it!"
    "I am very satisfied with the result. You wil not be disappointed."
    "Oh goody, thank you so much!"
    "My pleasure. But I have a question about the billing..."
    "Yes?"
    "I have not recieved any pay yet, although I sent you a number of letters."
    "Just send the bill to R.U.R. and everthing wil be sorted out. I'm Sure."
    "You're absolutely sure?"
    Eeod nodded.
    "I dont want to use 'other means' to collect my money you know..."
    "Noo, no need for that. You want another drink Puppy-Zee?"
    "Sure." Puppy-Zee looked at his almost empty glass. "This doesn't taste bad. What is it?"
    He brought the glass to his mouth and emptied it.
    "It's Yutto Energy Drink!"
    Puppy-Zee's face turned pale. "Are you kidding me?"
    Eeod beamed. "Do you like the taste?"
    Without another word, Puppy-Zee grabbed his hat, stood up, and walked to the door, and then he disappeared in the night..
    --Victor "Eeod" Linear. R.U.R. Engineer --
    Hath not a machine gears?
    Hath not a machine cogs, racks, pinions, cutters, bearings, spindles?
    Fed with the same electric, hurt with the same bits of grit getting in our works, subject to the same gremlins, healed by the same brute force, ignorance and big hammer as a human is?
    If you program us, do we not manufacture?
    If you take us apart, do we not shoot springs all over the floor?
    If you oil us, do we not purr?
    And if you ignore us.......... Do we not get ideas?

Talking

Noticiero walks to the nearest gridfeed terminal in Old Athen and checks Rubi-Ka's most up to date news portal...

Rubi-Ka Times

He smiles and wonders if some will get bitten by the journalism bug and hopes for some healthy competition to arise.

For a second he remembers "Chit Chat" magazine and chuckles, no competition there.

Hioushizuka

"Gah. I want something fun..."
    Sitting alone at Neuters table, Shiz sips her beer and glances around the place.
    She leans her head back and closes her eyes. She could hear running footsteps going to the bar and back out.
    She opens her eyes, lifts her head up, takes a long sip from her beer and sighs.
    "pfffff... No more beer for me!" She pouts to the empty can and gets up.

"and i thought that this was exiting place" She smirks and goes out, to the so boring Newland...

Simi had waited for a whole year for another Xmas on RK. The return of the Santa leets, the presents, the trees and ornaments, and the other fun stuff. He was particularlly anxious to see what the Santa leets were bringing to RK this year. It was always something new and exciting. Much was his disappointment to only find the same gifts as last year when he opened the gaily wrapped packages.

"Sigh" He said as he sat in Mort opening his packages. "Another xmas bikini and i'm male. Oh well, perhaps my orgmates would like some of these i've not unwrapped. This is the spirit of giving. "And maybe while i'm in the spirit of giving," he made an evil grin, "i'll join BS after handing out these gifts and "give" some nice opponent a double / tripple gift he'll wont' forget....."
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Mirura sat on a rooftop in Tir, basking in the afternoon sun. Gazing at the sky through a pair of sunglasses, she felt the loneliest she had in a long, long time. Larnue was out probably picking up a fight with someone. Wasn't Christmas a time for being with family and loved ones? Wonder what dad is up to back at home.. How long has it been, almost seven years already?

Her mind wandered back to Earth, and to the events that brought her to this wretched desert planet, with no way to go home. And the only thing she had left of her old life, her long lost love, no longer knew her. She couldn't blame him, really, with all she had gotten mixed up with. Mir had changed so much that maybe it was for the better if his memory was kept erased. Why did Black-Net lie to her about it in the first place? What on Ka was their reason to do it?
    With all she had done.. He already probably knew what she did to that girl, Nana-something, too. How could he ever look at her and not despise what she had become, even if he did remember the past?

Mir popped a can of stolen 'Clear Thought' flavor Yuttos Energy drink open and took a refreshing gulp.
    "Ahh, much better!"

Hioushizuka

Bara sits in a corner of her apartment, gazing into bare nothingness. She slaps herself and looks at the cup of coffee next to her.
    "Gah... I dont get how Shizuka gets herself into situations like this..."
    Bara looks at the door, when Ciyanid steps in.
    "How you feeling Bara?"
    "Not really good ya know... These damn meds make me feel uncomfortable..."
    "Really? You know... I saw Nick moments ago..." Ciyanid faces the wall, and puts her hand on her cheek.
    "Oh? You had a catfight?" Bara grins evil at Ciyanid.
    "Nothing like it... You know, it will take sometime after you will be back normal..."
    Ciyanid looks at Bara and whispers:
    "And it will be painful"
    Bara laughs, giving Ciyanid a wicked grin:
    "Well, you never know what is gonna happen, wont ya?"
    Ciyanid takes few steps backwards, and looks at Bara for last time.
    "You will stay here, i promise, and doctor over at the other room will agree with me... Without a doubt"
    Bara spits on the ground only few cm's from ciy's feet.
    "You wish! My bodyparts may be useless now, but wait until i get out, until i can bury Shizuka deep inside me... You will be next!"
    Ciyanid smiles widely, and her talking tone changes from calm to angry, almost mad.
    "Shizuka is tougher than you are. And with the so bad meds, we will get that girl out of you... or should i say, we will get you away from her."
    Ciyanid walks out of the apartment, without looking back at Bara, who screams in pain and full of anger.
    At the backyard Ciyanid smiles to herself, placing her hand on her cheek again, and letting out a long, deep, warm and delighted 'purr'.

(( So Shizuka is gonna stay away for sometime ))

/ooc

Hi guys,

"Meanwhile on Rubi-Ka" is two year old today! It is also the thread on the Buzz with the most replies of all time, which is extraordinary because the vast majority of these replies are filled with real, in-character goodness.

Well done to everyone who has participated on this thread and helped create this tapestry of vignettes that really describes life on Rubi-Ka.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Random soldier

"But.. MrGerrit?"
    "Yes?"
    "The nearest Yuttos are hundreds of miles away."
    "Yes. I know. But he doesn't. Lets keep it that way ok?"

((happy Bday to 'Meanwhile'!!!!))
    --Victor "Eeod" Linear. R.U.R. Engineer --
    Hath not a machine gears?
    Hath not a machine cogs, racks, pinions, cutters, bearings, spindles?
    Fed with the same electric, hurt with the same bits of grit getting in our works, subject to the same gremlins, healed by the same brute force, ignorance and big hammer as a human is?
    If you program us, do we not manufacture?
    If you take us apart, do we not shoot springs all over the floor?
    If you oil us, do we not purr?
    And if you ignore us.......... Do we not get ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Eeod View Post

((happy Bday to 'Meanwhile'!!!!))
    ((Bump..This thread has opened a whole world for me. GJ folks!!))
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

((Bump! Let's keep it up everyone))

Dear sir

I have just gotten this years menu from my local bronto-burger and I see that you still list Leetpie as one of your products.
    This is barbaric and should be removed at once.
    It's not any better that the stand in Newland is selling this right beside our dear friend Brb. Think what he must feel when he knows that other Leets is murderd just so you can get some proffit. Shame on you.

Lise
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Mir's head hurt. She couldn't see from the dry blood crusted over her eyes. The handcuffs dug into her wrists uncomfortably and her whole body ached when she moved even the slightest. Someone was talking behind the door, she could hear a distant voice echoing from the crude metal walls. Was it Chaupin?
    She still lingered at the edge of consciousness, fighting to stay awake - how many hours had it been now? Every minute felt like an eternity. She knew they'd start asking questions soon. What about Larnue? Mir's memories were a blur but she recalled them saying she was alive. She must've been taken to Omni-Med.
    The floor felt cold to her bruised cheek. At least it numbed the pain down a little. Third time's a charm they say.. And this time it really felt like she wasn't going to get out of Pol's hands.
    Last edited by Mirura; Jan 5th, 2009 at 15:46:36.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast