Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile on Rubi-Ka...

Oh sturdy old dam
    Time for the tents to vanish
    Water splashing sounds
    --Victor "Eeod" Linear. R.U.R. Engineer --
    Hath not a machine gears?
    Hath not a machine cogs, racks, pinions, cutters, bearings, spindles?
    Fed with the same electric, hurt with the same bits of grit getting in our works, subject to the same gremlins, healed by the same brute force, ignorance and big hammer as a human is?
    If you program us, do we not manufacture?
    If you take us apart, do we not shoot springs all over the floor?
    If you oil us, do we not purr?
    And if you ignore us.......... Do we not get ideas?

note to self:

"next time make sure Mr. Parsil's reclaim pattern stays in the unending loop".
    The Red Brotherhood

Rtonzo

//
    In the early morning a regular day in Newland.

While the sun rises a strange opifex shade in glowing green pants is walking the streets talking to himself. On his arm is a device that could have once been a regular Jobe bracer however its now a somewhat twisted piece of metal with some loose wires. Seemingly wired to transmit Channel42 on some built-in speaker.
    It regularly sends tiny visable electrical sparks to whatever is near most often being the arm or body on whom it's fastened. If it in anyway would bother the person its not visably, for all intention he somewhat looks electricuted as is already.

-Well Frank that was nice don't you think the cat-person sure was nice. "Berael" was it? making you all well and good.
    -yes, yes I know Frank your a nice bomb now, not blowing up now.

//the Shade patting his bracer as he goes talking to it in a somewhat high-pitched voice unsuitable for a grown man.
    -There really should be more of them Lifesavers around ya'know Frank. That "Mostshady" Soldierguy and Berael was so great for fixing you. Now you don't Bite me anymore and that's good.

-Just remember your not supposed to blow up now or explode that's what Berael fixed in you, and dont be sad I´ll let you blow up eventually. Remember Berael said she needed that.
    -Or was it She would have to, maby perhaps possibly.. hmmm. yes, yes, yes, yes. that was it.
    -There really should be more of them Lifesavers around don't you think? Hey wouldn't that be a good job traveling the planet saving lives like they do. Though they where missing capes, yes yes that's the thing they should have capes.
    -And a hotline! Of course, they might have that already.. gotta find it.. Berael to the rescue... Nah, do them superhero Lifesavior types do that? Don't they just fight crime and saves lives anyway?

//The strange man stops as he´s closing in on The queue outside of Brontoburger and proclaims in possibly as loud a voice as he can muster.

-Yutto's Juices!!!
    -A Theme song! I´ll write them a Themesong, ofcourse they should have one.

-But first things first. Im supposed to deliver one brontoburger everyday to the Catperson. Oh i wonder if her superpower is not only saving lives and deactivating bombs like you Frank. maby She´s got the "Roar of the Jungle-lion Punch" or something!!
    -Listen up Bronto Burger manger! Four of your best Burgers and i want them Lifesaver Superhero Giftwrapped!!

//ooc
    (( thanks for the laughs and great improv-Rp, Bereal / Mostshady, Finally Re-Starting that old comic relief Character Rtonzo))
    Last edited by Des; Aug 21st, 2008 at 06:09:38.
    -You must be the change you wish to see-
    (Omni-Mining) Iivanov Clark (Iivanov) Gear 200-Soldier
    (Omni-Mining) Tamena (Tamena) Gear 85-Trader
    Omni-Mining | Omni-Mining Propaganda | Omni-Pol
    Atlantean RP gimp since dec 2001

Eeod entered the Rompa bar.

Things were not going well lately. He was stil waiting for new equipment. Not every item from his old lab has been salvaged, and he yet had to test that new yuttos drink before anyone would throw it on the market. He had read the list of ingredients carefully. What a combination. Heaven knows what could come of that.
    And then there were his missing colleagues. Moeder was next on the toilet cleaning rota, and since she disappeared... well... The Headquarter sort of started to smell.

But a party might change his mood. He heard about this person that got promoted in his organisation.

CGI. Not a name he has heard of before. He walked up to the bar where the lucky fella stood. "Congratulations with your promotion!" Eeod said.
    "What does CGI stand for exactly?"............
    Last edited by Eeod; Aug 23rd, 2008 at 13:57:39.
    Fed with the same electric, hurt with the same bits of grit getting in our works, subject to the same gremlins, healed by the same brute force, ignorance and big hammer as a human is?

Mirura sat in a dimly lit corner of her apartment, in front of a bright screen display, fingers rapidly tapping at the screen while her other hand clutched a pair of headphones against an ear. Eyes stared focusedly at the display, lights flickered over her features, rendering her as pale as a nanomage; a glint of excitement arose in her gaze as her ears caught something in the static. Something like speech.. Bah, she grunted to herself, the Omni-Pol had apparently put more effort into crypting their comlink transmissions as of late and Mir had spent all night hacking away, back aching from the less ergonomic position. Her fingertips danced across the screen as she strained to make at least one single word out of the noise. The coffee she had prepared hours ago sat on the table untouched, undrinkable by now.

She held her breath. One little mistake and all the work could be lost, and at worst she'd be detected breaking through. She could get traced. Her hands trembled and her pulse was rising. She was practically digging the connection out of the depths, clutching for straws to latch onto so she could drag it up.

The static came to a halt, as if it was cut off with a knife. Mirura's heart jumped.

There was faint crackling in her earphones. The darkness of her apartment seemed to close in around her; now there was nothing but her, the screen and the gentle, almost friendly and comforting little noise in the Fixer's ears.

"Is anybody there?"

It was barely recognizable. A female voice, distorted badly enough for her to hardly make anything out of it. Mirura jumped in her seat.

"Hello?" the voice spoke again. This sure wasn't the Omni-Pol comlink she had picked up.

"Please", came one last faint word. The voice faded into static. Mir stared eyes wide open at the screen, hastily saved the recording and ran an analysis over the transmission.

Whoever called for help never got it. The message was 150 years old.

Mir took her headphones off and shut the computer down.
    Last edited by Mirura; Aug 31st, 2008 at 00:29:58.

((bumping this for goodness))

Dabblez had not got a lot of sleep recently. She'd been working hard every night on perfecting her mathematical proof of the existance of "Rimor", Rimor being the name given to a theoratical parallel dimension the other side of the Shadowlands where everything was much the same as our universe, only evil.

It was tricky problem to solve which kept her up till the wee hours of the morning.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

lost recollections

Sitting on Playboyfixer's old spot, Petothebf stares in front of him using his cyborg brain part to summon back all the data he found in Playboyfixer's apartment after he vanished, re-browsing through the research notes, most likely something that ended when his creator vanished, if not died, as well as the plans on the new clan ideas that should be started off soon...

... thinking deeper he remembered the web of puzzles and riddles his creator left him to get to those top-secret plans, puzzles and riddles he suddenly came to think of as soon as he learned of his master's dissapearance.

It should be starting off soon, sooner than expected, and possibly with a greater impact than imaginable.... it's coming... it's happening...

Jen rubbed her eyes.

She had been out on the streets of Jemm looking for her brother all night, together with her father. They had finally found him in a shady bar, high as a kite, with an absurd amount of cred sticks in his pockets and some tart sleeping in his lap.

Rory, younger that her by two years, had balanced on the edge of drug related crime for some time now. It had only been a couple of years since they learnt of his weekend abuse and not even a year since they had the large confrontation in which words were uttered that should never fall between family members.

She hated that it had come to this.

Deckan, her other brother and Rory's twin, had distanced himself from the problems and buried himself in his studies as a way to avoid having to deal with the mess.

Jen's mother, the always happy and stellar-looking Reyne had lost her smile, replaced by a worried frown, as if she was constantly thinking about an unevitable call from the hospital, telling her her son was dead.

Aarman was the rock of the family. Her beloved dad, the man who taught her so much, who protected her fiercely, yet let her go to Rubi-Ka at the tender age of 16, was as much the father of Rory as he was of her and Deckan. If anyone would put things straight and be able to help Rory, it would be him.

'...I should take him with me back to Rubi-Ka. That'd clean him up,' she muttered, then curled up in her bed and quickly fell asleep.

One would think that months spent marooned on a swamp planet would have made Cathern enjoy the hustle and bustle of the various Clan cities she once roamed and patrolled so often. Yes, one would think that. Since her return to Rubi-ka, nothing had been the same. The Clan insurgency was an endless thing. The Council of Truth impotent as ever it seemed. All the fighting and struggles for naught it appeared. What a recluse she had become since her return. A billion credits in her account but no real desire to live in luxury. She had set up a modest dwelling in a cave. It was well appointed with furniture and life's needs and was not at all a dank hole. Cozy it might be called. Cathern talked to herself sometimes now, "Oh...I missed the clan's birthday. Where has the time gone?" It had been over a year since she had been seen in public. Cathern didn't know it but she was going just slightly mad from all the horrors and stress of her life.

Cathern sat in her comfortable chair and patted her lap. Her pet leet looked up, waddled over and squirmed it's way into her lap. Cathern petted the leet a few minutes. Her eyes grew heavy and she drifted into sleep again, something she did more and more of. The leet looked up at it's mistress with big eyes, sniffed the air a bit, then fell asleep too.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Rheena sits at hear consol in her hovercraft hovering around the Rubika atmosphere. News of recents events past quickly pass her view screen. Still awating orders on her return to Rubika.

(been away for long time and contemplating returning to Rk)

((welcome back))
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Greetings from Dreadloch.grid.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this
    completes your order.

You can track the status of this order, and all your orders, on the grid by
    visiting Your Account at Eeod_Dreadloch.grid

There you can:
    * Track your shipment
    * View the status of unshipped items
    * Cancel unshipped items
    * Return items
    * And do much more

The following items have been shipped to you by Dreadloch.grid:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal
    Dreadloch.grid items (Sold by Dreadloch.grid):
    1 Broom Nimbus-29500 cr 270 1 cr 270

Shipped via Rubi-Ka Subway services (estimated arrival date: 28-May-29489).
    Tracking number: 1Zv8848Yayt3379N00B247

Item Subtotal: cr 270
    Shipping & Handling: cr 47

Total: cr 313

Paid by RUR-card: cr 313

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This shipment was sent to:

Victor "Eeod" Linear
    RUR-HQ
    Coast of Peace
    Rubi Ka

via Rubi-Ka Subway services

For your reference, the number you can use to track your package
    is
    1Zv8848Yayt3379N00B247. Visit Dreadloch.grid/wheres-my-stuff to track
    your shipment.
    Please note that tracking information may not be available immediately.

If you've explored the links on the Your Account page but still need
    assistance with your order, you'll find links to grid-mail or call
    Dreadloch.grid Customer Service
    in our Help department at Dreadloch.grid/help/

Please be aware that items in this order may be subject to Interstellar
    Electronic Waste Recycling Act. If any items in this order are subject
    to that Act, the seller of that item has elected to pay any fees due
    on your behalf.
    Please note: This grid-mail was sent from a notification-only address
    that cannot accept incoming grid-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Thank you for shopping with us.

Dreadloch.grid... Arms, Gears and brooms.

--
    No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by OP-anti virus.
    Version: 4.5.544

The Chief Execuitive walked into the office in the organization's city, expecting to see and hear all the typical chatter of a well run outfit, but was quite surprised to that nothing seemed to be going on. There was a signifant derth of people and activity. A quick scan of the communication net indicated that folks were busy here and there but the CE still received no recognition.

"Shesh...not even a welcome" he mused.

"WB" finally came through the com chatter. "Nice to have you back" came in a few minutes later. Seems everyone was rather busy...

"Hmm, you go away for 2 weeks offworld and no one has time for you, there are all kinds of new things to do, and there is some new "raid" interface that takes some learning. Sigh. Maybe i'm getting too old to lead this Organization.....Maybe i'm just getting too old for RK. A nice retirement somewhere with a more pleasant climate with no wandering pumpkins and other hazards about? Hmm we'll see..." thought the leader. "But who to replace me? Bah..enought of that talk. You've got to develop the leadership in the Generals first. Time enough to ponder retirement after that task...."
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

"So, which model did you say you wanted?" The wiry man asked nervously, glancing around as if one of the Omni-Tek guards would suddenly pop up to arrest them both.
    Nicholaus browsed the yard looking impassive, though sharing in the man's trepidation. "I'll take on'na those ol' haulbots o' yers," he said at length, pointing to a sizeable pile containing dozens of old, scrapped Cargo Haulbots.
    "But...those things have been decomissioned for months. There's no guarantee that any of them will even work!" The man's paranoid attitude was replaced momentarily by surprise, but with a sidelong glance over his shoulder, his former demeanor returned.
    "Ah, I've fixed up worse 'n that! Just compress th' thing fer me, and I'll be on m' way."
    "But, wouldn't you..."
    Nicholaus's glare caught the man by surprise, so much that his attempted plea fell short. With a sigh, the man scampered off to the pile, compression chip in hand, and soon returned.
    "'At's a good man. Now, how much were ya' askin' fer th' thing?"
    "Four-hundred and ten credits."
    Nicholaus's hand stopped abruptly, a look of incredulity plastered on his face.
    The small man only shrugged. "The boss is starting to notice the missing inventory. I'm taking a huge risk just dealing with you, and-"
    Nicholaus chuckled and raised his hands in mock surrender. "Okay okay, no need t' get yer shorts in a knot." He drew a small credit chip from his pocket and pressed a sequence of tiny buttons. "Four hunnerd an' fifty credits...fer th' trouble an' all." He handed the man the chip, and pocketed the item he had just bought with it.
    "Nich, you know we're friends, right?" The small man smiled sheepishly. "You've helped me a lot -believe me, you have- but I can't take this kind of risk anymore." By now, the man's resolve had hardened a bit, and Nicholaus could see it. "Truth is, this junkyard belongs to Omni-Tek, and as much as I'd like to keep helping you, I can't keep risking my family's well-being. I mean..."
    The man's jaw clenched tightly. Now it was Nicholaus's turn to breath a sigh. He moved to his friend and put a hand on his shoulder.
    "I ain't tryin' t' get ya' in trouble, and I ain't tryin' t' hurt yer family." Nicholaus managed a weak smile. Reaching into his pocket, he produced another credit chip. "This is fer you and yer family."
    "I can't, I mean-"
    "Just take th' dang thing!" Nicholaus shoved the credit chip into the astonished man's hand and began to walk away, toward his waiting Wraith.
    "And don't worry, I won't be comin' back. Just don't forget that ya' still owe me a beer, 'cuz I ain't gonna!"
    And with that, Nicholaus started up his vehicle and flew off, back toward his home in Old Athen. He chuckled to himself at the thought of his old friend's reaction upon seeing the sizeable amount of money contained within the credit chip, but also knew that it was likely they'd never meet again.
    Oh how he despised this seemingly meaningless war.
    Last edited by Ratsetsunyo; Oct 20th, 2008 at 00:33:39.
    Never take life seriously...nobody gets out alive, anyway.

*Walks into RUR HQ, towards the financial department, looking for a free desk, only to find a big pile of yellow-stickynotes*

Oh dear...

She looked down at the dead Pumpkinhead and reached for its scythe. Shaking her head slowly, she pulled the impaled doll off of the end of it and shuddered.

Later...

"...yeah, it really creeped me out."

"Don't let it get to you, scardey leet."

"Grow up, please. The Pumpkinheads don't bother me, but I have to admit that their insane otherworldly laughter is haunting at night."

"That's what it's supposed to do. Through research, we've found that their nanotechnology, once it has affected you in any way, like their paralysis nanos, stays with you and latches on to seratonin molecules and sort of short circuits the functioning of your own system by sending its own chemical signal. This is interpreted as a high level of seratonin and your brain decreases the output. This makes you anxious because you have a low level of seratonin."

"So what's that in Clan terms?"

*exasperated sigh* "Clan hate scary thing, make not sleep well after fight. Must hurt Omni Tek.

*laughter* "Okay, okay. So is there any way to counteract this feeling?"

"Not that we are aware of. Isolating their nanotechnology is a gigantic feat, since it is more of a combination of factors than a single one. We can only partially explain it at this point, but we are experimenting with some things. Though the tests aren't going well. The seratonin and dopamine effects combined with other...uhm...psychological factors, such as receptiveness and personal history have a lot to do with it."

"Okay, I think I follow you. Childhood memories combined with manipulation of chemicals in our brains give us this lingering fear."

"There is hope for you! Yes. What I have told you so far is not ready for publishing but it is promising. How they manage to force you to dredge up and modify your memories or even haunt you with their laughter is something else. They could exist on some entirely different plane of being, much like the voices we hear while in the shadow lands or it could be coming from the planet itself in some grand yearly prank. That's for the metaphysicists to figure out."

"Thanks Jil."

"The bad news is that it's only going to get worse over the next week."

"Great."

"I got your stuff right here, as promised."

Friday night. Mir parked her hoverbike on the street and walked into the small Borealis alley, where a tall masked person stood in the shade, only luminated by a broken, faintly flickering blue lamp. She opened her courier bag and slipped out a small black package to hand out to the client, receiving a cheque disk in return and slipping it into her pocket. The two nodded at each other and Mirura opened her visor's datalink to mark the job up as done.
    "Pleasure doing business with you."
    She made way past the trash cans and junk to her bike, when someone on the radio channel 42 started yapping about a mugging in the Borealis area. Mir smirked, hopped on her bike and adjusted her helmet, and checked through her client list for her next call. Starting up the bike, she felt someone rush past her in a hurry and glanced up to see two people in pitch black suits - almost identical to hers - dash through the crowd, carrying what.. energy drink boxes?
    Mir shook her head. Those guys had a lot to learn. Just then, she remembered something.. She dug a black calling card out of her wallet, stared down at it for a moment, then looked to the direction the muggers ran in. Her lips pulled into a grin and she flew off with her bike.
    Last edited by Mirura; Nov 24th, 2008 at 10:53:04.

Dabblez switches on the recording device as she paces back and forth in her lab.

“Log entry, November 23rd.

“As robots and AI increase in intelligence and sophistication, inevitably we approach the event horizon beyond which the machine becomes self-aware. The fabled Tin Man will finally get his heart, or perhaps more accurately, a soul.

“We must be prepared for this day. And crucial part of this preparation entails being able to accurately test for it.

“The proposed test involves sitting a robot in front of a monitor and play random clip for any of the “Joey” TV series or any of the 1264 ‘Scary Movie' franchise made back in the 21st century. If at any point the robot should laugh, then it clearly has no soul.

“End recording.”
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

"yes? Am I speaking to omni Pol? .. Good, I want to file a complaint. I know who robbed me. .. yes I'll hold ..."

*ten minutes of elevator music later*

"No such file? But you are investigating the robbery as we speak. How come you don't have a file on it? .. Yes I'll hold.."

*another ten minutes of elevator music*

"My name? Victor Linear... Yes I'll hold.."

* ten minutes of elevator music*

"the name of the robber? Mirura... Yes... No I don't know her last name.. Yes....Ok.. Thank you very much... yes... bye bye! Good luck with the arrest!..... yes... bye... Yes, Im stil here... No, YOU hang up.. ok now.. bye!..."

Eeod hangs the phone on the hook.
    *sigh*

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast