Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what exactly is Notum anyways?

what exactly is Notum anyways?

((Ok I am either a complete noob posting this or I am just the first person to take a serious RP look at this all important element. Notum a mysterious new element that only exists naturally on Rubi-Ka, it allows nanobots to live outside of the sapien hosts, nanomages cannot live without the presence of notum sources nearby... etc. Anyone ever come across the need to know about Notum itself rather than the effects of the element? Like the elemental knowledge, atomic structure, density, mass, electrical charge, what other elements it bonds with, even its period chart name? could it be Nm, Nt? *No, and N are taken if you are not aware by existing RL elements*))
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

((FC hasn't produced a WHOLE lot of background information about notum. If you talk to the supervisor at the Notum Cannons in Clon****, he says some things. If you read the description of novictum, it says some other things. Basically, the stuff exists in enough forms that it's obviously either a whole complex of related substances or something *really* strange. We go, mostly, for "strange."
    ))

((And, personally I feel that instead of making lots of things up I concentrate on matters we have information about. The problem in making things up in this kind of game is that stuff like that WILL eventually contradict with what other people have made up and that can lead to problems with suspension of disbelief, which in itself can be under considerable strain already...

I for one would really like to see lots more "official" background material, about daily-life at Rubi-Ka, sociology, technology, information about other worlds and corporations... not holding my breath until ten-volume hardback series comes out, though.))

((I am thinking about getting a GM involved or at least trying to get one involved in this; notum as an element I imagine would be similar in theory to carbon as it exists in a multitude of natural forms, various crystal structures and properties such as graphite to diamonds to the organic compounds found in organisms (nanomage perhaps?) etc. I'm just looking for some 'data' for some of my RP needs... also just a side note I'd be curious what others could 'research' about carbonium and preneium (sp? I forget) just something to wonder about.))
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

((This sort of scratches the surface. So far, what we know is that it is a mineral that emits radiation (?) ))

Prophet Without Honor, chapter 17

(( Theres also all the stuff about how it is used in the reclaim process to allow souls to be transfered. And nanobots need it to run. And due to the sheer quantity of it on Rubi-ka, and in the air it allows bots to run outside out bodies as they do.

But really we know nothing, so most of the time we just make stuff up and hope for the best. Or just assume whatever we're wittering on about is "oh yeah, nanomages can't leave RK" and everyone else agrees or agrees not to disagree, or end up using it as something to argue over. Just make something up...its what we do :P *coughs* barrage balloons. ))
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

((
    On Notum
    I'd agree that notum is 'radioative' in a way, check out the descriptions of these items for more info:

Canister of Pure Liquid Notum

Cracked Xan Notum Crystal

Pure Novictum Liquid

It would seem that Notum is some what like water in the sense that its liquid form is more dense (at least energeticaly) than its solid form, though unlike water is does not exist primarily in its liquid for on Rubi-Ka. Though it does in the Shadowlands.

Notum may not be an elemental substance like many of us are used to, it may be a pseudo meta-physical substance like 'ectoplasm' is portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyadach
    And nanobots need it to run.
    Nanobots -do not- need notum to run because nano technology was used by the Omega and before people got to Rubi-Ka, but it was limited to only inside the body or in controled environments. The energy/substance of notum allows nanobots better ability, longetivity, and the ability to work outside the body.

On Carbonum
    I think carbonum is a somewhat porous polymer that is used in fabrication, similar to metaplast

Carbonum Breast Plate

A Curved Sheet of Carbonum Plating

On Perennium
    Perennium would seem to be a substance that was manufactured by either the Xan or the early Redeemed/Unredeemed. The reason that it would seem to make good guns is that by replacing the barrel of the weapon with one that is almost impossible to bust up or destroy you can crank up the energy output

Perennium Double Barrel

Perennium Bolts

A Sheet of Perennium
    Last edited by Berael; Jan 4th, 2007 at 23:20:22.
    Angel "Berael" Wolf - 220/22 Solitus Engineer RP Profile
    Advisor of Wolf Brigade, A Proud Neutral Organization

AOwiki - A chance to show what you know.
    Hunting Grounds Neutral Neck Items Tradeskill Pricing v3.0 Roleplaying Organizations v2.0 (RK1)

"The world will not evolve past its current state of crisis by using the same thinking that created the situation" - Albert Einstein
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Nyadach View Post
    (( Or just assume whatever we're wittering on about is "oh yeah, nanomages can't leave RK" . ))
    (( Fair point, but in the case of nanomages being restricted to Rubi-Ka, that is canonical. From the Timeline:

The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

The way I read it, that means anyone who plays a nanomage should not be able to leave AO to play WoW :-)
    ))
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

((ok so it looks like notum is either a thing like 'physical electricity' that may not be an element like carbon, iron, hydrogen or sulfur. Rather notum is a compound of specifically arranged molecules similar to plastics or pancake syrup.))

This simple question has me in an unpredicted fervor of inquiry. I for one, and perhaps Omni-Mining and R.u.R. alike would as well like to form a think tank council to discuss and research exactly what this all too common substance is that floats in the air we breathe. Perhaps even set aside differences to work together so that history does not write the story of Rubi-Ka as '...a collection of pseudo-scientists playing with radioactive materials akin to children in mud...'.

((I find it strange that more though was not put into this sort of questioning, considering it is a sci-fi game... look at starwars (its a fantasy not a sci-fi *ducks incomming objects and flames*) or startrek... plenty of people taking the story seriously there and its not even roleplay!))
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

((

I wouldn't say that notum is like a plastic or pancake syrup, as that would imply that it is made of elemental matter, which is something that is clearly in question. Notum behaves similarly to elemental matter because of its liquid and solid phases. Its ability to be alloyed and its ductle ability to be drawn out into a wire or thread would also suggest that it has some properties of a metal. It seems to be predomenately depicted as a transluscent blue crystal on RK, and a transluscent silvery-blue liquid in the shadowlands.

It also would seem to have time defying abilities as well, as I presented at the Science Symposium: Harmonic Circlets

Notum could be in the air for many reasons, the two that spring to mind would be that notum dust is lighter than air or gets caught up in humididity. (see Personal Notum Harvester) It could also be that notum is in a gaseous phase.

After reading through the stuff from Prophet Without Honor I think that it could be that the nanobots are making themselves out of notum. While this gives them all the benefits that we see in game, it could also mean that notum has some sort of ability to maintain the programing of nanobots in the general environment. I've always thought it was because notum some how responded to human thought.

))
    Last edited by Berael; Jan 5th, 2007 at 16:08:24.

Hunting Grounds Neutral Neck Items Tradeskill Pricing v3.0 Roleplaying Organizations v2.0 (RK1)

"The world will not evolve past its current state of crisis by using the same thinking that created the situation" - Albert Einstein
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

[ I also know that the members of the NLF would like to get in on this talk of what notum is.. Though so far I am loving the thoughts Berael has thrown in here..]
    ~ Roger "Shadowset" Garanti (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Andrew "Boomtastic" Domtar (Member Clan Assembly)
    ~ Ta "Bloudless" Butcher (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Caviler "Cynotor" (Member of the NLF)
    ~ Chef "Ironox" (Member of the NLF)

Public files on Shadowset
    Ironox and Cooking with Iron!

(("...the members of the NLF would like to get in on this talk..." Well drag one of the spindly creatures over lol, are they all froobs or something? Im glad to see more thoughts on this, it is in theory the whole basis of the game))
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

((I've pictured it as a substance similar to dry ice...it is a solid, but will "evaporate" into the air, so, there is a constant amount around us))
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

as it is both present on Rubi Ka and in the Shadow Lands, as well (if i have interpreted it correctly) throughout time, could there be a link between it all? or that it exists on a interdimensional level if you understand what im getting at. I have to admit though this discussion is deffinately very important, and fundamental to us all, and at times hard for an Atrox brain to cope with.

oh and just found this, may help with this discussion, im not sure.

hope it helpshttp://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=161574
    Last edited by Templar; Jan 7th, 2007 at 00:00:41.

((leets? wth? funny yes... useful not so much))
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

ok that was not what i posted on there!
    i posted about notum crystals! im sure of it!
    changing it now

Don't you have anything better to wonder about ?

((

If you read about a lot of Xan stuff and the Source in the database the picture would seem to be that notum as a substance is related to the unsealing of the Source. It could be that notum can only manifest in this high energy environment or that the advances that came from the unsealing of the source allowed for the synthesis of notum.

There are also a good deal of references to the idea that the Shadowlands and Rubi-ka's plane of existance were once that same place, but something happened (possibly unsealing the source) that caused them to be split.

))

(( I was chatting to my Physics lecturer a while back, about computer games, I told him about the wonders of AO, and how the story revolved around Notum. After describing it's material properties, and how it emits energy. He promptly declared me a blaspheming heretic, and removed me from the lecture hall ^_^

- Kris ))
    GorgeFodder4 / Skeletawe
    Anti-Miner / Miner
    Omni-Mining / NLF Remnant?

(( Hahahaha! Hahaha! >.< ))
    Kaylee "Sary" Lykin - Fixer
    "Syree" - Shade
    Member of The Mockers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast