Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what exactly is Notum anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Copperneedle View Post
    (("...the members of the NLF would like to get in on this talk..." Well drag one of the spindly creatures over lol, are they all froobs or something? Im glad to see more thoughts on this, it is in theory the whole basis of the game))
    ((>.<))

We've been on Rubi-ka longer than you have, cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    as it is both present on Rubi Ka and in the Shadow Lands, as well (if i have interpreted it correctly) throughout time, could there be a link between it all? or that it exists on a interdimensional level if you understand what im getting at. I have to admit though this discussion is deffinately very important, and fundamental to us all, and at times hard for an Atrox brain to cope with.

oh and just found this, may help with this discussion, im not sure.

hope it helpshttp://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=161574
    Hmmm, has no one even guessed yet that notum has a significant ability to increase how evolution takes place, and how fast it can happen?

In which case, nanobots are just robots, but in the case of Rubi-ka and all the notum, it allows nanobots to "come together" and communicate on their own to one another, thus creating semi-sentient beings...

((in otherwords, think of notum like that... stuff... from Stargate SG-1 that allowed the replicators to take human forms))

It really dosn't matter what it is, as long as it makes me rich.

[QUOTE="Linkari"]
    Hmmm, has no one even guessed yet that notum has a significant ability to increase how evolution takes place, and how fast it can happen?
    [Quote]

What do you mean by evolution? I have a serious su****ion that you are using the term incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkari
    In which case, nanobots are just robots, but in the case of Rubi-ka and all the notum, it allows nanobots to "come together" and communicate on their own to one another, thus creating semi-sentient beings...
    Can you provide evidence that this phenomena happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeylla
    Not understanding the elements of the buisness you are in is paramount to shooting yourself in the mouth. Knowledge is power. Those who insist upon ignorance ultimately become bumps in the road for the well informed.
    Angel "Berael" Wolf - 220/22 Solitus Engineer RP Profile
    Advisor of Wolf Brigade, A Proud Neutral Organization

AOwiki - A chance to show what you know.
    Hunting Grounds Neutral Neck Items Tradeskill Pricing v3.0 Roleplaying Organizations v2.0 (RK1)

"The world will not evolve past its current state of crisis by using the same thinking that created the situation" - Albert Einstein
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

(( *puts on his cloak of OOC and wizard hat*

Something about Notum allows nanotechnology to work out of the body for 'extended periods of time' It's mentioned in the timeline on the main www.anarchy-online.com site.

Here on is my opinion on the matter.

I'd say it was some sort of super conducting element. One of the drawbacks of nanobots at the moment is the incredible heat going to be produced, and the fact that we can't build a computer that small. But so i'm told, superconductors are what could solve it.

Unfortunately the conservation of energy principle says that energy cannot be created. Merely transferred. So Notum emitting energy would put most respectable physicists in an early grave. What would be more likely is if Notum decayed into something, emitting radiation, (em wave...energy!) But for the applications of AO, running nanobots etc... it would have to emit large quantities. And I really can't get my head around converting alpha beta or gamma into workable energy. Short of a steam turbine ( Nuclear power station ).

The ability to facilitate the transference of 'souls' and to make Nanobots work outside the body makes me lean towards the end of Superconductors.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeylla View Post
    That my friends is the OMNI-TEK motto.

Alternate theory!

Notum and Novictum. We all know that Novictum and Notum are equal and opposites. Matter antimatter? Could Notum perhaps be solid Darkmatter :| Just throwing that one out there also! Though i'm not very good at Darkmatter, it makes up something like 85% of the universe, but we havent' even found a single particle. I know that there are some scientists a mile under the English countryside with a "Dark matter detector". Anyway! The foreman who Tarondal pointed out has some interesting things about the Notum rifts, whereby rocks are apparently hollowed out and Notum pours in. This could be maybe matter and anti matter colliding? That creates radiation... and could release enough energy to alter surrounding rocks, which would start to emit radiation, and by a very big stretch of logic, turn into Notum.

There! My poor attempt at rationalising Notum is out in the open. Now back to my exam revision!

- Kris!

PS: <3 You all! Loving this debate.

*takes off his OOC cloak and wizard hat*
    GorgeFodder4 / Skeletawe
    Anti-Miner / Miner
    Omni-Mining / NLF Remnant?

WOW not Wow! ;D

Hahahah! Skeletawe! Oh, one of those lecturers!

Anyway, BIIIIG biig big bump to this awesome thread! Very insightful...
    Shadow Ops
    Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.
    They'll say we're disturbing the peace, but there is no peace. What really bothers them is that we are disturbing the war.
    Tired of little elves with bows? Fed up with spell-flinging goblins? Bored to death by the solitary world of linear games? Despair not. Freedom is on its way, and its name is Anarchy Online.
    Web: http://www.shadowops-online.org | Twitter: @ShadowOpsOnline | AO: Milestones & History

Quote Originally Posted by skeletawe
    I'd say it was some sort of super conducting element...
    A very good and interesting idea but I would have to disagree on several grounds. First, is that this is around 20K years in the future, so any number of technological or scientific discoveries could have been made that suggest that the laws of physics we know now in the 20th century are childish... as has been happening constantly for as long as physics has been around. Second, super conductors might solve the problem if it hadn't already been solved. The assumption here is that because nanotechnology doesn't boil people's brains alive off Rubi-Ka, it doesn't produce a signifigant amount of heat that would cause it to be dangerous. Third, if notum produced energy through radioactive decay it would mean that there would be half life samples around Rubi-Ka, and that hasn't been reported. Further more, it is not as though people decided that notum was cool in a day and started shipping it off world, so they would have had some time to see if it was under going radioactive decay.

The major problems in your first argument is what we -do not- know about the game. What are nanobots and how do they work? What is the soul and how does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by skeletawe
    We all know that Novictum and Notum are equal and opposites. Matter antimatter? Could Notum perhaps be solid Darkmatter :|
    The Anti-Matter/dark matter hypothesis is also some what flawed. If notum was dark matter then it would make up 85% of the universe, not just one rock in a backwater galaxy. Additionaly, dark matter is a sort of placeholder value that some physicists use to make their calculations work because we can't find where the rest of the hypothetical mass in the universe is. Dark matter is dark because it doesn't reflect light or we can't see it for some reason.

Notum and Novictum seem to have a similar relationship to matter and anti-matter, but it doesn't seem that they explodes when brought into contact with one another, since i've dones hundreds of pocket bosses and i'm still alive to tell the tale.

- Berael
    Angel "Berael" Wolf - 220/22 Solitus Engineer RP Profile
    Advisor of Wolf Brigade, A Proud Neutral Organization

AOwiki - A chance to show what you know.
    Hunting Grounds Neutral Neck Items Tradeskill Pricing v3.0 Roleplaying Organizations v2.0 (RK1)

"The world will not evolve past its current state of crisis by using the same thinking that created the situation" - Albert Einstein
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change." - Charles Darwin

It's what NLF have been stealing.

(( I know what it is.

"No-tum [noh-tuhm]
    –noun, plural -ta
    a dorsal plate or sclerite of the thorax of an insect.

notal, adjective"

And now you know."

no-tums is the anti relief medicine.

since Tums automatically spells relief, this would be something you take when you dont want relief like a 40 ounce malt liquor, yuck.
    R.I.P. AO
    Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post

Hello, I have just arrived onto Rubi-Ka ((just Rpily anyways.)) and I am going to conduct studies on this substance known has, Notum, to find out exactly what is...That is if I get some funding to conduct the research.

actually I had a better thought, my eyes are glowing blue...

OOC speaking, perhaps... FunCom got the idea for Notum from "****e" from the Dune series? kinda seems similar, doesn't it?

I mean, a desert planet in which this "ingredient" I suppose you could call it, only comes from one planet, rubi-ka... and again, it's a DESERT PLANET

Dune! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Linkari View Post
    actually I had a better thought, my eyes are glowing blue...

OOC speaking, perhaps... FunCom got the idea for Notum from "****e" from the Dune series? kinda seems similar, doesn't it?

I mean, a desert planet in which this "ingredient" I suppose you could call it, only comes from one planet, rubi-ka... and again, it's a DESERT PLANET

Dune! lol
    QFT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12