Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.

There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.

This is not a flame directed towards any one person in particular... I post this to inform people as to the correct spelling of the word.

This post is also not intended as an insult towards our non-English speaking community-- the word has probably been spelled wrong in these forums thousands of times, so it's no wonder people believe that's how it's spelled.

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, the word definitely is the adverbial form of the adjective definite, which is defined thus:

Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry: def·i·nite
    Pronunciation: 'de-f&-nit, 'def-n&t
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Latin definitus, past participle of definire
    1 : having distinct or certain limits <set definite standards for pupils to meet>
    2 a : free of all ambiguity, uncertainty, or obscurity <demanded a definite answer> b : UNQUESTIONABLE, DECIDED <the quarterback was a definite hero today>
    3 : typically designating an identified or immediately identifiable person or thing <the definite article the>
    4 a of floral organs : being constant in number, usually less than 20, and occurring in multiples of the petal number <stamens definite> b : CYMOSE <a definite inflorescence>
    synonym see EXPLICIT
    - def·i·nite·ly adverb
    - def·i·nite·ness noun
    the Urban Dictionary isn't very forgiving about the word "definately":

Quote Originally Posted by The Urban Dictionary

1. Idiot-speak for "definitely". One of the most common moronic misspellings found on the internet.
    2. The word many people use to spell 'definitely' until they suddenly realize they've been spelling it the wrong way.
    3. The modern mis-spelling of definitely seen in almost every modern example where a spell checker was not deployed, most commonly in internet chat, probably from its mis-pronunciation by modern youth and/or being confused with unfortunately.
    4. The most common spelling of the word "definitely" in internet forums, comment pages, and chat rooms. If you pay attention, you will find that "definitely" is actually the second or third most common spelling. Alternatives include "definatly", "definetly", or best of all "defiantly".
    5. "definitely," as blogged, emailed, or texted by a complete moron.
    This person also ranted about the spelling of the word "definitely" back in 2002.

Thus endeth the vocabulary lesson for today.

Next week, we learn what "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis " is (yes, it's a word).
    Last edited by Crisalys; Sep 11th, 2008 at 02:58:11.
    Christine "Crisalys" Kochanski 220/30/70 Nanomage Nano-Technician

License Plates: 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 Plate Debate has ended!

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,
    Crisalys has played 482 days 15 hours 48 minutes 36 seconds

What annoys you most at work?

Bugger. Now I have to check all my posts to ensure correct spelling of definitely....erm....ah poo...

How about "Antidisestablishmentarianism" then?

Oh and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is (very loosely) a condition brought about by the inhalation of very fine silica. Or something like that.

B
    Last edited by Bannacis; Dec 27th, 2006 at 06:42:49.
    Never forget a kindness and never forgive an insult. - Sun Tzu

Strength does not lie in numbers, it lies in loyalty.

Mary Anne with the Shaky hand!

I've always wondered where "definately" originated...in my opinion, it doesn't even make phonetic sense.

Who pronounces "definitely", "de-fi-nate-ly" anyways =P
    Chronic Shichiroji Argonaut: 220 / 25 / 55 (Slice and dice)
    Not Shichidoc Fighter: 177 / 18 / 42 (Pew Pew)
    Moon Metallishi Dog: 156 / 13 / ?? (Mini TS)

General of Haven (we are recruiting!), Haven's token Aussie and owner of a ql 310 Fine-Tuned DNA-Locked Blaster Rifle.

Hic sunt dracones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Typical ANZers every subject ends up talking about sheep and criminals

southern people tend to say it definately more often than definitely in my experience.

(me being a southerner)

can't speak for the north.

Can you also give a lesson on the correct usage of the words "they're", "there" and "their" please
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Their: Plural posessive pronoun used as an adjective... "Their house burned to the ground."
    There: that place... "Some kid was playing with matches in there."
    They're: contraction of "they are".... "They're giving that kid a good spanking."

I gave two tutus to Lauren Tewes on Tuesday too.

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,

I like popcorn. It's delicious.

Pie > popcorn
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    Pie > popcorn
    definatly.

oops...
    Chronicles of the AI Nub: The AI Conspiracy

Proud Sequel to Chronicles of the Hecknoobs: The Nerfbat Anthology, which is the proud sequal to Misson Impossible Four, which have probably been the least noteworthy stories on the planet since Paris Hilton's arrest.

And finally, we're proud to announce that there is NO Tom Cruisery in any story.

Quote Originally Posted by crisalys View Post

Next week, we learn what "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis " is (yes, it's a word).
    The more common name for this is "Coal Miner's Disease" or "Black Lung"
    Last edited by Rak; Dec 28th, 2006 at 21:26:37.
    Youtube
    Twitch

AO
    Rakhabit 220/20 Agent FINALLY
    Halfempty 220/16 Engineer/Evade Negator
    Primatene 168/20 Original Doc Twink

TSW
    Myyah "Read" Hawwa
    Shadow Dominion
    Cerberus

Err I'm sure my English teachers told me to pronounce it as definAtely
    Wanck 210/18 Martial Artist General of Ring of Destruction
    Spanck 184/16 Agent Squad Commander of Ring of Fury

Quote Originally Posted by Healyhatman View Post
    Can you also give a lesson on the correct usage of the words "they're", "there" and "their" please
    And bump for this
    Wanck 210/18 Martial Artist General of Ring of Destruction
    Spanck 184/16 Agent Squad Commander of Ring of Fury

Definately. Hm. Yeah, I think I have spelt it like that quite a few times on occasion.

SORRY.

I will definitely keep an eye on this one!
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Do a search on the word 'rediculous' on these forums.
    Nautys
    Founder of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Malice42 - Revelator
    Hey chieft you r0xx0r - Chieft is da man for sure.

or any other word for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Skin View Post
    Do a search on the word 'rediculous' on these forums.
    yeah, that word difinatly comes up alot, and theirs lots of people who think there is something wrong on them theyre forums.

oooops...
    Chronicles of the AI Nub: The AI Conspiracy

Proud Sequel to Chronicles of the Hecknoobs: The Nerfbat Anthology, which is the proud sequal to Misson Impossible Four, which have probably been the least noteworthy stories on the planet since Paris Hilton's arrest.

And finally, we're proud to announce that there is NO Tom Cruisery in any story.

could sum1 bottom line this for me plx? which one is it then..?

The first post is correct.

Those people spelling it "definately" here in this thread are just ragging on me, hehe

Quote Originally Posted by crisalys View Post
    Those people spelling it "definately" here in this thread are just ragging on me, hehe
    Definately...
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

That just leaves us with those who write about countries like Isreal and people like Micheal Moore...
    The Lion Banner sways and falls in the horror-haunted gloom;
    A scarlet Dragon rustles by, borne on winds of doom.
    In heaps the shining horsemen lie, where the thrusting lances break,
    And deep in the haunted mountains, the lost, black gods awake.
    dead hands grope in the shadows, the stars turn pale with fright,
    For this is the Dragon's Hour, the triumph of Fear and Night.

Robert Ervin Howard

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast