Thread: To be or not to be (neutral) ?

Question To be or not to be (neutral) ?

I have a question for all of you, or any of you. I have more and more people wanting me to help them to become neutral, especially lately. Would some of you be willing to share your reasons why? I am curious, to say the least. Thank you.
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

I tried to become neutral, asked a GM to help me (Even roleplayed with him) why? Cause I dont sympathisize with either OT or clan no more, heh.
    That and personal reasons, I feel like an outcast so why bother. To bad he turned me down, just snapped his fingers and said no. Which sucked for me I guess.

Fence sitting is not for me thanks. But I do appreciate your view and congratulate you on playing AO at the hardest setting.

- Cyrus Cyblade7 Crown
    - General of Redemption

Well, before this gets out of hand. I am not wanting this to get into the "I have seen people made neutral, so why not me?" discussion. I am sure we all will have at least one story where someone got something that someone else in the same situation did not get. I was just interested in opinions... %) We all have ideas and misconceptions about life on the other side too...those are more than welcome.
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

I really can't understand the point in being neutral, imo you only miss alot of the game....PvP, tokens, quests(if some more come)..

Ofcourse you can say you get alot more friends on both sides if you are neutral, but I really doubt you get more good friends.

I see a neutral as someone that don't "dare" to take side cuz they want be able to take part of both sides, but I think they only lose most on it themselves.

So I would say, not to be!
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Originally posted by Azzazzimon
    I really can't understand the point in being neutral, imo you only miss alot of the game....PvP, tokens, quests(if some more come)..

Quests ? Not really. Actually, I'm wearing both Alvin's and Dodga's shoulderpads. Looks funny
    I'm not missing out on PvP either. I get ganked in 25% and 0% zones by level 180+ just like every clanner/omni.

Ofcourse you can say you get alot more friends on both sides if you are neutral, but I really doubt you get more good friends.

Neutrals are the best. You don't need friends on both sides

I see a neutral as someone that don't "dare" to take side cuz they want be able to take part of both sides, but I think they only lose most on it themselves.

Well, like the Ferengi say, stay neutral in a conflict so you can sell to both sides.
    I don't expect to be taking part in both sides of the story. We get our own share, like Mr. Ross saying silly things about us.

So I would say, not to be!

Wimp

If you are tabbed, you are attacked, just remember that :P

Originally posted by illphil
    If you are tabbed, you are attacked, just remember that :P
    That's one more reason to be neutral. Why side with people that are so afraid of getting killed they can't be bothered to check their targets?

As long as Omni-Tek employees and Clanners fight side by side in teams, there's no reason to be either.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Re: To be or not to be (neutral) ?

Originally posted by Cat
    I have a question for all of you, or any of you. I have more and more people wanting me to help them to become neutral, especially lately. Would some of you be willing to share your reasons why? I am curious, to say the least. Thank you.
    Hmm....people actually want to become Neutral?

Actually, it would be good for the game I suppose if more were neutral, but I can't for the life of me see raising a character to have to endure all the agonies a neutral must endure....

Morelian

Arrow

Roleplaying reasons in this game is not good enough to ditch a 1k board imo.
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

/me hugs Cat

Let's get back to the origional topic, shall we? Cat is entirely correct, I have been seeing more and more of the same thing myself lately(possibly due to the fact that we know many of the same people, but still......). There are usually either one of two different scenarios people tell me when we're chatting about how they would like to become Neutral:

1. I used to be Neutral up until <insert level>, but I switched because <insert thing> and it didn't work out/wasn't right for me, and now I can't be Neutral again <sad>

2.I've been <insert faction> since day one, but now I'm just sick of <infighting/griefing/PvP/RP/KSing/whatever> and don't want to be <insert faction> anymore, but I don't want to join <other faction> either <sad>

oh, and I forgot one:

3.I used to be Neutral but I kept getting ganked by <insert faction> so I joined <other faction>, but now I've decided I can't stand them both <sad>

What I believe my dear friend Cat is trying to accomplish is to figure out exactly how this is happening, so it can be prevented. After all, that's just one more unhappy player out there, and who wants that? And no, being a Neutral is NOT to be taken lightly, as there are hardships aplenty awaiting you.....it takes COMMITMENT and RESOLVE to play a Neutral, something I'm very surprised the Factions don't understand. Labeling Neutrals as "lazy" and "fencesitters" couldn't be further from the truth. Sorry, I got off the subject......this is not the place for where my post was heading. If you want further insight into Neutrals, check out the link in my sig. My post is on the first page, and yes, you can quote me(from that post) as long as it is taken entirely in context. And by the way, the scenarios above are not meant in any way to trivialize or be offensive, I'm using them as standardized examples only.
    Last edited by Nealandbob; Aug 30th, 2002 at 15:45:53.
    Nealandbob Headbasher Burninsword-RK1
    Deathfyst Tonofbricks -RK2
    Tonofbricks Nealandbob -RK Test embracing my inner Brat
    Finally back from Iraq
    Enforcers ONLY vote here!
    WoW-Pahani, Skywall/Horde and Barthilas/Horde
    "A good Enforcer dies a lot"-Deng
    "FC didn't create Enforcers, Deng did" -Tza

hmm.......this needs a bump so it's next to Provisioner's poll
    Finally back from Iraq

another bump to keep related threads together
    Finally back from Iraq

Power to the nuetrals

I became clan around level 50 (following Nealandbob's outline btw ) becasue I felt neutrals couldn't stand up for themselves and decided I could help more from the clan side. Then theres my whole storyline but Ill save everyone the spam The thought of becomming a nuetral again hasn't come to me yet, but I think maybe the reason some people want to become nuetral is because
    Nuetrals are starting to stand out more in the storyline, and there are so few nuetrals in comparasin to Omni/Clan, a few people way want to jump back on that boat.
    And Neutrals that changed sides Just probably get homesick.. I know a few ex-nuetrals what wished they had never changed sides for awhile after they switched.
    Then of course, maybe they became Clan/Omni and really didn't like it... heh
    - My 2 creds -
    General of Apocaylpse

--The Council of Atroxes--
    Power to the Atrox!

Talking

wOOt for Umberdude
    Finally back from Iraq