Thread: Is there hope for this game?

Guraka

Is there hope for this game?

I've just come back to try AO out again after leaving for a while.
    The graphics and sound are amazing- so much more sophisticated than any other MMORPG i have seen.

However is it worth playing?
    I've just been through the class forums and hardly anyone seems happy with their class. People talk about how boring it is to have to go through the missions and talk about lack of content at higher levels.

It would seem that there is an amazing amount of class balancing to accomplish let alone the rest of the problems.

Shadowlands is in development...I have the impression that Funcom are a brilliantly creative company but are unwilling or unable or too slow to address the basic gameplay elements of AO.

Is this true? is it worth another shot at AO or will it be another frustrating experience?

Advice from players would be greatly appreciated

Cheers.

Many of my old friends that quit 6 months ago are coming back and having a great time, so I guess it was worth it for them.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

The biggest problem is lack of things to do. The leveling treadmill gets dull after a few months.

Tradeskills are still rudimentary.

There are no production facilities anywhere, no working economy, no upgradable apartments.

After a while I feel like having done it all and find it hard to motivate myself to do it again.

Only thing keeping me in AO at the moment is my guild...they are a great bunch and I dont want to abandon them
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

I've just been through the class forums and hardly anyone seems happy with their class

True balance is achieved when every profession thinks they suck.
    If every profession sucks equally, then they are balanced.

I left the game for 5 months and came back in May. Lots and lots had changed and what hadn't changed I'd forgotten. Went through the whole learning process again.

Bottom line, I'm enjoying it. If you're at all tempted, give it a shot.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Guraka

thanks for the advice

To Miir,

I've just been through the class forums and hardly anyone seems happy with their class

It seems that they suck to different degrees and ppl seem to have genuine concerns with most classes. My point (badly made) was that ppl aren't happy.

thanks for reading and posting all, sounds like its not perfect but there is fun to be had

Originally posted by Miir
    LOL

Very true.

Guraka: I recently returned after having been away for two months and I'm having a great time again. I say, don't pay so much attention to what's broken or not there yet and try to enjoy what *is* there. Like you said, graphics, sound... Very great and best enjoyed in the countryside.

I've been running around the countryside a few times in the past weeks, just for fun. Not missioning, not hunting, just enjoying RK. I ran from Tir to Last Ditch, just for the hell of it and I had a blast. Tonight, I plan to run from Hope to some place far south. If people would just get their heads of their Yalms and out of mission areas, there would be a lot less *****ing and moaning on the forums.

Edit: as of this post, all phear me

Yes, there is hope.

AO is still DAMN fun, and if they can get hunting properly balanced again, most of the problems are fixed.

The booster will hopefully give the high level players some more interesting content.

What I'm really hoping is that AO will provide Funcom with enough cash to make AO2. . .and do it right.

• No fixed weapon types, merely an enormous database of components that combine to make weapons with different stats and strengths. (Nameable by their creators, of course.)
    • Same thing for armor.
    • A Grid that we can hack, containing missions and mobs and quests and interesting opportunities for PvP.
    • Actual combat between the sides, without player participation. (IE, raids and assaults back and forth that players can join in and help on, but they will happen even if we don't.)
    • Mobs set up so they check to see what weapons are most popular with the players, then slowly change armor types over time to defend against it.
    • Same thing with weapons, looking to exploit weaknesses in commonly availiable armor.
    • A world where the players have impact right from the start, with the ability to take and hold territory, vote for Clan leaders, buy Omni stock and vote as local shareholders, build a strong neutral outpost and declare independence, WHATEVER.
    • True static challenges. The Main Omni computer system in the Grid, full of incredibly hard defenses and roving security IC. It's set up so you should *not* be able to take it down. If you do, you get massive reward and equally massive notoriety. Then they upgrade the defenses and set up the challenge again, even harder.
      The Council of Truth building, Omni HQ, all sorts of places and things that are *not* designed to be taken down, but once you figure out how, you get your name plastered up in lights. . .and they make it even harder.

I can dream, no?
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Bump for that dream, Kenlon.

Well, I'm going to continue playing AO for quite a while longer, despite the current problems (class balance is the biggest, for me. But people know about that from tons of other threads).

AO2 for 2006?

Who knows.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!