Thread: Affiliations F.A.Q.

Exclamation Affiliations F.A.Q.

Getting a few questions about choosing affiliation that I guess everybody should get the answers on.

Q: Why are only some affiliations described on the main site?
    A: Because we need our writer and editor to get the rest done, and they have a lot of other stuff to do right now. It'll come, and hopefully very soon.

Q: Will being an independent clan put me outside the Story?
    A: First of all, we can't promise you a place in the story no matter what. We would of course like to involve everybody, but we're taking one step at a time, and doing what we can.

Choosing to be independent only means you're not affiliating with any of the background clans / structures. We won't ignore you due to that. You can still be part of player alliances, or you can stay completely independent. No problem.

If we don't get any affiliation from you, we guess you haven't seen the call for an affiliation, or don't care too much.

Q: Is there a deadline for choosing affiliation?
    A: No. We will continue to collect affiliation for as long as we have to. Right now we're just getting started. We will later contact each leader individually if we still haven't gotten their affiliation.

Q: Can we change affiliation later?
    Yes. Clans can switch affiliations at their own whim (more specifically: The leader's whim). Omni-Tek might cause trouble for people changing affiliation; If you're in the future plans of Omni-Pol, but suddenly want to switch to Omni-AF, Sergeyich might not let you go that easily.

Q: Can I lead one of the background clans / departments?
    A: No.

Q: Can a player alliance replace a background clan / structure?
    A: Depends on what you mean with 'replace'. If you want to run the same agenda as e.g. Consolitated Clans, it's just a matter of becoming more influencal than them, and they might lose their impact completely.

If you're looking to replacing the Council of Truth, you need to look at more than that; their contact with Omni-Tek, the Tir accord, etc. Might want to have a chat with Omni-Tek on the matter.

Q: Can we affiliate with player alliances?
    A: Currently we do not have these in our database, but we might very well add them in the future. We do keep an eye on such alliances, so you're not forgotten at all.

For Community & Events this would be more for observation purposes though, as we can't run a player alliance. While somebody here can control Radiman, Silverstone, Sergeyich or Prestion, we can't start logging in players' characters to have an alliance leader issue orders.

Q: Will the affiliation be shown anywhere?
    Not currently. We're looking into ways of doing this, but no plans at the moment. Fear not, we will never let the others know you side with the Dust Brigade, unless it's in an in-character way.

---

Ok, did I miss something? Might add more later. Leaving the thread open so you can add questions.

Please make it so that an orgs affiliation is shown in the People of Rubi-Ka section somewhere. If I have a character that is interested in finding a clan to join that has a specific affiliation, then I would like to know my choices.

Scorus

Q: Can I lead one of the background clans / departments?
    A: No.
    Thanks guys. Now, my lowbie Fixer will actively look to join Omni-InternOps.

Raises the point. When will characters not in a guild be able to join the Story Orgs?

Will 'official' affiliations like CC...

be assigned an official FC leader? There is some 'concern' that if we join an affiliation without an official leader that we will NOT be part of the storyline.

Could you elaborate on this point? Will all official affiliations be assigned official leaders? What happens to those that do not have an official leader?

Another question: what happens if a Clan decides to back the Knights. They just dropped out of the Council of Truth. What happens to all their Merit Boards?

Or do the Clans still kinda hang together even though one might be interested in Terrorism and another in a Peaceful Approach to Utopian Society?

Or will you take the opportunity to add content and have the different affiliations provide different boards or awards (perhaps above 1000) more in line with each organization's personality? Galahad's might offer more defense or even Tradeskills, while Silverstone's might be more suited for combat.

Finally, would a merit board be issued to a member of a Clan that lists itself as a supporter of the Dust Brigade?

Yeah, I happen to have the same questions as Bio.

How do you expect us to make a reasonable choice here?
    You're really not telling us anything of any importance. We need answers to quite a few of these questions before we can sign up with an affiliation.

Originally posted by Bionitrous
    Another question: what happens if a Clan decides to back the Knights. They just dropped out of the Council of Truth. What happens to all their Merit Boards?

Or do the Clans still kinda hang together even though one might be interested in Terrorism and another in a Peaceful Approach to Utopian Society?

Or will you take the opportunity to add content and have the different affiliations provide different boards or awards (perhaps above 1000) more in line with each organization's personality? Galahad's might offer more defense or even Tradeskills, while Silverstone's might be more suited for combat.

Finally, would a merit board be issued to a member of a Clan that lists itself as a supporter of the Dust Brigade?

What good will this bring?

I appreciate the good intentions behind this idea. However, I have absolutely zero hope that this will work. Why?

FC is already failing to run the two main Story groups: Omni-Tek and the Council of Truth. FC can't even field Phillip Ross and Henry Radiman! How is adding more groups going to solve this? Now, at least, we are basically all in the same boat. Everyone is suffering from no leadership. And, still, people complain about the Clans having more storyline attention, or OT guilds getting more ARKs and GMs involved.

What will happen when one Affiliation group actually has a good leader? Everyone with pathetic leaders will complain. I suspect that will be the majority, based on recent FC storyline success.

Why not actually do something with the existing story orgs, rather than adding this?

I suspect the answer lies in the technical problem of large events. FC cannot solve the problem that large events crash the game. Thus, they are trying to spread the story out among smaller groups, with hope that smaller events won't crash the game. However, everyone will flock to the Aflliation groups that have a good story, thus the problem will not go away!

I hope I am wrong. I hope this will work. But, we still don't have enough info upon which to decide an Affiliation. Lets see some of the groups leaders out and about. Lets see some news about them.

Exclamation

Hmmm I think I once saw somewhere on the homepage a small presentation of all the main branches. Complete with the name of the leader of each branch. Of course I can't find it right now...

If anybody can remember the adress of that page plz post it here. It might answer a lot of peoples questions!

/Ghump
    Ghump - a member of Ragnarok

My hovercraft is full of eels

Guess who we are affiliated with. Its really hard, isnt it?
    OMNI-POL all the way! Now i just wonder what benefits that will bring...
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Umm...

Okay, just about any of the affiliation options that my Clan would consider are listed as being with the Council of Truth. What now? Are we going to get some leadership and activity out of these other factions with CoT gone? Is my Clan considered Independent now that CoT is no more? Can we PLEASE get some more info to base our decision on?

I thought this was a fantastic idea when I first heard about it, but after some time now...still no action from any of these factions to suggest they even exist. *sigh*
    The Deacon of Doom
    www.gridstream.org

Scorus, I'll look into having it shown on the site. One issue there is that some don't want to let others know who they affiliate with (e.g. those supporting the Dust Brigade).

Bionitrous, characters might be able to join when we implement this in the game code. For now, it's not an option, as it's simply too much work.

The token board will remain. I doubt we will ever nerf it based on affiliation.

Nelida, we can't promise that any organisation will be assigned an official leader. This registration is being done to have the basics laid down for it, but it's not guaranteed that it will happen.

I am telling you what I can, nothing more, nothing less. If that's not enough for you to make a choice, don't make one.

Braedon, it's still possible to support the Council of Truth. Some have chosen to switch to 'Independent' though.

So, Now What?

I will be very surprised if my Guild choses an affiliation anytime soon. I, for one, would oppose making a choice based on so little information.

So, now what? The Council of Truth has been disbanded. There is nothing to replace it. So, we sit and we wait....wondering what will happen. It's been several weeks since the Affiliations idea was begun. Where is it going? I see no activity.

Plus, I haven't seen a date set for Booster availability. We don't have any idea what kind of game\political challenges that will bring. So, we sit and we wait....wondering what will happen.

What is the point of getting involved in RK roleplaying when we have no idea what is going to happen? Sure, we can roleplay on guild and individual levels. But, there is only uncertainty on a global level. Haven't you noticed that nobody is submitting items to the media? The latest Headline for Omni news is over two weeks old! The latest Headline for Clans if almost two weeks old! We aren't going to play on a global scale without some help. It isn't fun to submit news about issues that don't matter. We have no idea what matters right now!

I'm having fun playing the game, but I am very dissappointed with the opportunity for global roleplaying. We want to play...but these ideas without substance are not going to fly anymore. I know you mean well, Cz, but this is the last time I will respond to a fishing expedition. I have better things to do than think about issues that won't be implemented or will be implemented poorly. Until FC can show that they can run a promising storyline for a few months, I'm just not going to get involved.

Please! Surprise me!

Typothetae
    "The pen is mightier than the sword."

i see a clan affiliation list,
    an omni affiliation list,

wheres the neutral affiliation list ? are ICC peace keepers the only crowd on the planet for neuts to be hip with?

Better question is...what happened to these affiliations?
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.