Thread: Switching Between Servers

Switching Between Servers

Alright, I was looking through the FAQ the other day when I noticed this Q&A:

Will I be able to move characters between dimensions?
    Yes, we will allow players the opportunity to transfer characters from one dimension to another at a later date. There are no plans to allow players to transfer from the test dimension to either Rubi-1 or Rubi-2 and vice versa.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this FAQ made around the game's release? Wouldn't you consider this to be a later date already? I personally would like to see this implemented sometime.
    Wakka wakka doo doo ya.

Ironos

Uhh yeah, what happened to it?
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Bump - Put me on the list -
    Apprentice Frakk // MA - Rk1 - Stuff - Quote
    Sunye // Doc - Rk1 - Quote
    Rookie Frakk2000 // MA - Rk2
    Freshman Frakked // Soldier - Rk2
    Apprentice Frakk2001 // Doc - Rk2

Frakk2000's guide to twinking -> link <-
    Adventures of Frakkman
    BondeLAN.org
    Overpowered since 15.0 - MA forever!

hehe...meybe they'll give it to AO gamers in the form of another booster pack
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

I dont think its exactly a easy thing to do just like that, besides i'd rather they add more content and fix bugs.

I dont belive its a top issue, but I think they are working on a good way to implement it. The chances are, if people from the economically imbalanced rk1 move to rk2, it'll ruin the economics of rk2 as well.
    "There is a storm coming! Our storm! - Paul Mua'dib"
    ---------------------------------------------
    Randomize argument in scripts!

The magical pony, scene1-5,6

Im glad there are trolls and whiners, gives people something to compare with. Makes the rest of us look better.

"Spam is not just something you do, its a way of life."

OOGA BOOGA.
    ---------------------------------------------

Lightbulb switching servers??

Why not just combine the three servers into one?
    Cyrus "d'Artagnan" Bacarella
    Solitus Fixer for the Omni-Tek Corporation
    President of Draco Legionis
    Draco is Family, Legions Unite!

"The darkness must go down the river of nights dreaming...
    Flow morphia slow, let the sun and light come streaming...
    Into my life."

Question

I thought they did eventually want to have just one server. That was the plan during the games release i thought anyway.
    "My dear boy we are actors. Actors are the opposite of people."

-----First Player, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Iv'e hears some whining about the load on rk1, but the fact is, the servers are supposed to take it, or did they cunningly calculate a drop of players from the start? And, if they would merge the servers, then it would be more social life, and people at rk2 could join in on the storyline, im sure they would like to.
    Apprentice Frakk // MA - Rk1 - Stuff - Quote
    Sunye // Doc - Rk1 - Quote
    Rookie Frakk2000 // MA - Rk2
    Freshman Frakked // Soldier - Rk2
    Apprentice Frakk2001 // Doc - Rk2

Frakk2000's guide to twinking -> link <-
    Adventures of Frakkman
    BondeLAN.org
    Overpowered since 15.0 - MA forever!

Please make an official comment about dim travel

FC

Please make an official comment about dimensional travel, and then help us who have thought that we could do it at some point. also, if it wont be possible, please update the FAQ on the webpage.

Ani.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

I am wondering if the reason there isnt these dimensional portals is because of the character names. You know when you make a character and the name you want is denied, thats because a character on RK1, 2 and 3, already have that name. Thus between all 3 servers there can only be one character with one name.

Now look up some common character names or better yet popular names. You will find in some cases that there is a character with that name on one or more servers sometimes. I believe they didnt want any two people to have the same name between all three servers.

Also if you look at these popular names you will find that alot of the characters are level 1 or 10, and not in use, perhaps the account is not even active, so maybe its time to set in a 3 month deletion of characters where the customer hasnt paid for their account after 3 months. Other games do that, and this one could use it being that names are supposed to be unique.

If ya wanna see what I mean try looking up some of Anne Rice's Vampire names.

Lestat
    Armand
    Akasha
    Marius
    Merrick
    and so on.

Jagdtyger

I moved to RK2 when it came out, they said server lag was an issue and we would be able to move back around feb (of last year). Then they said around christmas. A couple of months after christmas they finally said that there would be no rk1-rk2 travel, that it was possible (one person got moved, started a huge board war) but they would work on moving people (copy) to test.

now there is nothing, no talk about it, nothing.

I like to pvp. RK2 + PvP = stand around doing nothing, fighting one of the same 10 people you always fight if you are lucky.

it sucks.

they wont fix it

they promised me my switch

I went to RK2 TO HELP THEM

now I am "stuck there"

I have a lot of friends on RK2, it is not the people, or the leveling, it is the pvp, that is it.

a portal back and forth would be best of both worlds.

as far as naming thing I suggest when you go to the "other server" you get a "title"

Dnastyone RK2

for example

problem solved.

This is the most dissapointing aspect of my stint with FUncom.

There is a lot of things I like about the game, a few I dont, and then there is the broken promises.

*sigh*

Dnastyone, formerly Trinny on beta's 3 and 4
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

If they took down the whole frigging thing for a few days, and just merged the servers, which if you think about it, would redistribute the load better so server-wise, things could be faster. Load on the clients is another story. There would just be A LOT of challenges, and of course tons of work to be done, and I dont think FC has the human bandwidth to pull this off.

First, duplicate names, how to handle.

Then there's the issue that more people would be in the same area, but if they get crowd control working, and do things to prevent everyone in the whole world from going to the same area, I think it would improve things socially. I am neutral to give you an idea of how strongly I advocate anything that makes it so I can meet and make friends friends with whoever I want. Right now this just means regardless of what application they clicked, if they can successfully merge the servers without making things unplayablly laggy, I'm all for it!

If they were smart, they would make a really great LFG spot that isnt newland city, and intice players to group there instead of NLC. Maybe level limit the mission terms? And already things on RK1 get bad with tower battles and too many people in one spot, they already got a (hack) solution underway.
    Another thing they can do is groupselectors for some outdoor zones if they get too bad, like NLC. Would get annoying.

Re: switching servers??

with two servers in the US and one in germany, that would work fine, dontcha think?

Originally posted by Cyrus "Dartagnan" Bacarella
    Why not just combine the three servers into one?
    Tranceptor - Level 220/30/?? Omni Solitus Godfather - Nemesis of Chaos - /born July 2001, still going strong(ish)
    Twincaliber - Level 220/11 Omni Atrox Vanguard
    Kansho - Level 206+/14 Omni Opifex MA
    Sakayuri - Level 165+ Omni Solitus Crat.
    Unimusha - L132+ Omni Solitus Soldier
    Kryozz - L41+ Omni Nanomage NT
    Twelvegauge - L19+ Omni Solitus Trader
    Kasima - L13+ Omni Solitus Doctor

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.”

Aww. I'm in the US and like playing with people on the other side of the Atlantic. They're nicer than Americans most of the time. :-/

i came to ao from a game that had 5 servers, so it doesn't seem like a problem to me. but, we also had a dungeon server which you could get to from any other server, gave people from different servers a chance to meet up. the dungeon server had a different map of the same size as the main map for the other 5, but a smaller map would be cool too. this would increase the scope of trading, if people could trade/buy/sell items across server boundaries. i suppose this might be what fc has in mind for jobe, i don't know... and i doubt if they'll do it because i suggested it, but it's worth a shot... does rubi-ka have a notum-rich moon? what about being able to revisit the morning star space station... or a clan space station... or an icc space station?

I am all for a server jump.

Altho as for merging the servers... dont know. I got 8 characters on RK1 and 8 on RK2. if they were to merge the servers. would I get to keep all 16 chars? Or would 8 randomly go *poof*?

I woudl prefer if FC did it like someone else said he had experienced in another game. A dungeon where you can meet those on other servers.

Maybe make it so you have to go to a shuttle bay and get into the station again, and from there jump to the RK-1, RK-2, RK-German server. Make it with several different zones.

when you get there. you end up in a meeting room. This room got 4 doors. leading to corridors and each corridor have 4-6 doors on each side, which leads to other zones. Make them look like lounges and maybe even profession symbols on the doors. so you can swing by a lounge where others of your profession hangs out and talk some tactics.

I dunno. Make something to this so we can hang and chat with those others in the same game but on another server.
    General Thoram of the Twin Sun Syndicate

As cool as it would be to do (given they hash out everything fairly, like duplicate names, and allow everyone to have 16 chars), it would take a lot of work, and it wouldnt bring new players in or necessarily make more players stay, so there's not a great "return on investment".
    Still nice to imagine a Rubi-Ka with even more potential friends to meet.. sigh..

FC has bigger problems

While it would be an obvious decision to make an EU dimension and a NA dimension and recommend which one you should join, FC has bigger problems, let them work on those.

I really dont see the issue with dimensional travel. its just a database field. The effects would play themselves out pretty quickly. I dont really feel that there is a distinct character of either of the dimensions, now if FC wanted to impose something, and let us chose which we wanted, that would be different.

Ani.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened