Thread: Blood is Thicker Than Water.

Blood is Thicker Than Water.

Enlightenment, what does it mean?

I have long since been retired from the Enforcer business. I am an old man at 4 years already, and my life is never without constant change. Around the time that I spend closer and closer and further into the shadowlands I go, I cant help but notice little changes in my life. Things that I used to consider habit are now moving to the background. I am not as onery as I used to be. I used to get tipsy on a good night out. Now, it gets expensive to get drunk. I tried really hard one night too, on my birthday when I felt I deserved it. I spent nearly two hundred throusand that night, and thats just ridiculous. Not for a buzz.

I remember exactly when it happened too. I was helping a friend out in a deep area of what the Redeemed call Inferno. It quite literally does live up to its name as well. The very air you breathe is a ashy fume that can sear your skin, unless you wear these nifty boots. I dont understand why they work, but they do keep me cool on the inside of the armour I wear. But.. the part that I came to know as a turning point to me, and I think it changed me somehow....

I remember I was battling it out with this Salamander. I was on my way to discover the secrets that Afirce had written in his books. I was gunna read them, and then give them to Deadlock. I remember I had given the Salamander one good whop in the face to give it the idea that I didnt wanna fight, I just wanted to get my expedition done. And BAM! I never hit anything so hard in my life! Something hit me in the back of my head, and I heard voices. Voices about deeper secrets, and war, and sacrifice... I felt different. I was the best at what I do, back on Rubi-ka. I was the strongest, toughest, and meanest sumbitch you ever met... that is until you run into others who were battlefield veterans. They were on that path called "Enlightment". You take your first steps when youre a young buck, but its a looong step, and the Redeemed tell you that. But, after a certain point you begin to think that Enlightenment aint all its cracked up to be. I found myself questioning the Redeemed alot. Mostly because despite their peace loving nature, they still are gearing for war. Always gearing up for some battle with the Unredeemed.

Hell, I even tried to speak to one of them about it, and try to learn both sides of the argument. But none of them would even talk to me. Not till I spoke to Milliner's little buttsavage. He was the only one who would tell me anything, and he just pointed me to a bigger person in charge. Then when Milliner DID show up, he was furious! I never did get my answers, but I gleaned a little more about why I dont like the Unredeemed so much. Too bad I like to fight people who fight good. I don't think I killed Milliner himself, however. From the tales the Redeemed tell me, Milliner was a big agent for the darkness. I think I faced some sorta dark shadow of him, truthfully.

But, anyway, enough of that tangent... The real thing was.. the voices told me that I had only begun my journey, and it was nearer to completion. I had earned my way into the good graces of the Divine long enough now to be let in on the bigger picture. And thats precisely what happend. Now, I have seen other people on that path. Hell, even my wife has already found herself on it... but truthfully, what does it mean?

Things about me have changed. I no longer seem to be worried about alot more earthly concerns. Not because I am numb to them, oh nooo it couldnt be that easy. No, its more like.. there is something out there, challenging me. I have heard it lies in Pandemonium, the final layer and the very core of the Shadowlands itself. There is something there, waiting for me. Something sinister and dark. Not like people. See; people are a wierd bunch, and not all of them are likeable. However, this is not like that, people can be cruel and selfish... but what out there isnt like that at all... its just... evil. I guess for a lack of a better word for it.

And I am beginning to think that this enlightment itself isn't even a goal, but more or less a pathway to that goal. I am getting more and more powerful by the week. And these other people that I see around Athens, or Tir, or Newland. No, even more powerful than they. I have begun to think about the deeper issues about Rubi-ka as well. Why things are the way the are? I often read news feeds lately, and I want to help people. I was into this before, because I care about specific people and things... but lately I am more concerned with these issues everywhere and with everyone. In this path, I have become passionate about things I didn't have passion before.

For instance, there is a very cruel leader of a rebellious and murderous organization called The Dust Brigade. His name is "General" Kronillis, and heads a band of mask wearing cultists that live in Perpetual Wastelands. A friend of mine sought him out, assumably to ask him questions. He is a soldier boy, and you go to people of highrank in order to learn more of what it is to be military. This General is the bane to Omni-Tek existance. He is not a nice guy, in any sense of the word. But, instead of getting any sorta answers from him, Kronillis attacked him, and as I finally arrived.. he killed my friend just as I stood getting outta my vehicle.

I couldn't stand for this. A Hunter went to him on good faith, and this so called "General" attacked him and slew him with his bare hands.

I had heard rumours of this man, but the rumours pointed out he is one of the toughest sumbitches this planet has ever known. I decided that it was a point of honour to make him respect my organization. We may not be the brightest stars on Rubi-ka, but we fight for our respect. I gathered up a few of my greatest comrades, while my friend was overcoming his ressurection sickness.

I went out to have words with this General. To let him know that what he did was not excusable. Apparently Kronillis left orders with his men to not allow anyone entry, but I decided that in order to get my point across to this lackey, he deserved a busted jaw. Nothing tells the enemy what I mean to say with a little knuckle-down, ya know what I mean?

With my newfound strength I punched him in the face. POW! I think I cracked his mask, and after that I dragged him back to the group so that we could engage in gunboat diplomacy, if you catch my drift. Surely enough, the coward ran. Several of my coworkers engaged him, and my friend Solquick returned just in time to give the lackey a warm goodbye from behind.

I decided that now I was angry. I was angered by one of the TOUGHEST guys on Rubi-ka. Now, when I mean toughest.. there is no one tougher than he. Not to my knowledge anyway. I heard some rumours about there are tougher, but they are beasts, and not people.

I had an issue with Supply Master Eel, and I sorted him out but good. But, Kronillis was feared. And when I mean feared, I mean in a way that started a whole war with Omni-tek that has still lasted until thie very day.

I marched into his little den of pissants, and I demanded he speak to me. He heard the battle outside, and he got up from his postition on the other side of the room.

I got right to the point. "I think you owe my friend an apology, mister"

Kronillis stood up, put down the wierdest looking... I guess you could call a rifle-flamethrower type thing. "Tell Solquick, that I owe him nothing. He came to me with the intent on gaining knowledge, but instead he is no different than the other flea bitten mongrels that sleep with the enemy. I will not rest until The Dust Brigade destroys all the Omni-tek stands for. He has aquaintances, contacts, friends among them. He fights for clan freedom, but he chooses poor allies. They will only use him. All are nothing. All are dust. If he was the kind of soldier I respect, then he would kill them all. Let none live. THAT is a life of a soldier! I look at you and I see that you could never understand. Enforcers are bullyboys who only obey their wallet. You are no better than the trash you speak for...."

I took each and every word as a point of shock to my system. I couldn't believe the sheer lack of diplomacy that Kronillis preached. I listened to each and every word, closely, then I said my own peace.

"Look. I dont give a damn about your crusade. I don't give two ****s whether you win your prize, or burn in hell. But one thing is for certain, this Enforcer fights for his heart. And right now, youre about two inches away from feeling my boot in your a**. So the way I see it, you got about two things you need to do, before I decided to ungrace your meeting place with my presence. You either go out there, and apologize to my friend... or I beat you into a near-coma and drag you outside and force you to." I spit to my left, showing him just what I feel about his hospitality.

General Kronillis laughed. He laughed at me the way parent laugh at children, and want them to be hurt for it. He laughed so hard, he almost choked.

With a wave of his hand, his croneys stepped to the side. He cracked his knuckles and then arched his back like he was about to box me. I pulled out my sword and circled him in the chamber, while his soldiers looked on.

I remember being sent flying out the front door to his chamber. He hit me and knocked out every bit of breath I thought I owned. I have never in my life ever felt a punch so hard that it nearly dislocated my very soul till, that day.

He threw back the doors on his lair, and followed me out into the dustbowl that was the perpetual wastelands. He looked down at me on my back, "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust..."

I then felt a surge pulsing through me, and I was renewed. My team was waiting outside, and I spose the rude egress I had been given was the clue to commence the attack.

The battle was long and epic. Hitting Kronillis was like beating a iron statue with a wooden stick. It hurt my hands, my wrists, and down into my very bones to continue the onslaught that we had given him. I had to stop and catch my breath more than one time, and the battle carried its way out into the desert.

I can't recall every minute detail of that fight, but I will you that before I was done... General Kronillis knew he was going to be beaten. He tried every trick in the book, but my crew is good. DAMN good. I even brought in some outside friends to put the cherry on his pie.

As he lay there, beaten and bruised. I watched his mask sputter with breath. I picked him up, and sat his back to a rock. Solquick leaned in, putting his rifle down at his side. I nodded to my friend.

General Kronillis became a weak chuckle. "Defeating me is nothing. The danger you face when dealing with the great evil that Omni-tek deals with. Its more than anyone could ever know. I will not apologize for the things I have done..." He coughed once more, and he seemed to go limp. Solquick looked over at me, and without much thought he said to me "I thought I could learn something from him. Something that would prepare me for my journey. But seriously, now that I think of it, there is nothing he could tell me. Not when I have my family with me. No. I think I learned that blood is thicker than water."

I looked at him and smiled. I knew what he was saying, and I didn't think of it at first either.. but I couldn't help but know the truth to his words. Blood is indeed, thicker than water.

I thanked the Hunters and our friends. The list of names that made me who I am today is long and strong. Without my family, or my wife, our entire unit.. our 'clan', as it were; There would be no reason to protect my right to live and protect the rights of others who are not strong enough to have their freedom. I will never forget that day I learned this. Once more, I will strive so that I am not the only one who will understand what that means.

That, to me.. is the path of enlightment.

Fin.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Dec 8th, 2006 at 19:20:34.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...