Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gank" Insanity!

"Gank" Insanity!

Ok, now that I have been doing PvP more then anything in this game the language used is getting annoying. Since we are living in a fantasy world I understand these terms, but please must you use "gank" everytime you die or associate it with every aspect of PvP? Let me give you some examples:

"Why did you gank me?"
    "Thanks for ganking me!"
    "I don't feel like getting ganked."
    "You damn ganker!"
    "WTF!, why did you decide to gank me? Are you some ganker cool dude?"
    "You are a noob ganker."
    "I hate gankers!"
    'Gankers should be banned."

Please people, put a sock in it. If you lose a one on one or if you get singled out because you think you are the greatest thing in PvP and decide to expose yourself in a 0% zone don't go harassing your attacker with the "gank" language. Ok so you are dueling and someone jumps you. Big deal! So what you died. Did you lose your stuff? NO! Are you taking a risk when fighting in a 0% zone with no rules? YES! -->You<-- are not the lawmaker of this game. No one has to follow -->your<-- principles. And if you do decide to use the made-up word gank, then at least apply it to -->one<-- specific reason, not every time you die in PvP.
    Last edited by Billy Talent; Aug 24th, 2002 at 19:21:49.

Hehe nice
    Yagyu for life

They just cant face lose to NT
    Two sisters practicing medicine on Rubika and Shadowlands Pomy and Julka.

As a doctor i would prescribe you to use some common sense and a vacation to Real Life"

If i ever start a new character in Eve i will choose a name something like "aieerjjnnvajjnasdio11e3".

Unfortunately, ganking was all I did as Zenoman the last several weeks I played as him. PVP in this game is a joke. If its not people crying about imbalances, its people crying about title farming, ganking, zoning, etc... Every time I ganked, I had someone send me a 10 page protest on morals and why I was going to burn in hell. First off, if you're going to duel, go to Wine and leave the "whine" and cry at home. If people haven't figured out by now that Tir Arena isn't the best place to duel, I'm sorry, they're the dumbest piece of s**t around and shouldn't be playing. What really made me pissed was when an omni would send me "novel" of tells cursing me. Last I heard, call it roleplaying, omni and clan were at war. Any 0% zone omni/clan should be at each other's throats. I never ganked for titles because the truth of the matter is, there were plenty of other bigger fish in the pond that would gobble me up no problem for my title. Many times I ganked or got ganked, thats the way it goes. I ganked for the pure satisfaction of killing someone when I could because being NANOMAGE NT would be enough of an insult to piss them off. Always a joy sending them to my own personal spot, in front of the reclaim.

Tir Arena is chaos
    Little houses in Wine are for duels.
    /me sits back and pulls out some of Messman's infamous popcorn.

pvp isnt a joke; duels is. Running/zoning is. Teampvp however is more skill, strategy and less items. It reaeaeally doesnt matter if someones ac is 3500 or 5000 in a 6 vs 6 teampvp for example. Or heck, even bigger in lets say camelot; 40 vs 40.

"Stay in boxroom!"
    "Dont shoot pets!"
    "AOE team +doc (reflect)!"
    "Tankteam with MA's + CH doc!"
    "Adv with percpetion to spot agents!"

Sounds more like strategy to me? Skill? Try keeping 40 people in a boxroom with incomming / fleeying enemies. Who cares if 1 of those 40 has an uber weapon, it fades in the crowd.

Team pvp is nice in AO, too bad the lag makes it often hard, but when it works its fun.

Oh and back to topic Ganking? Sure do, but I do not think posting it here will help; people who read these forums know (I hope) how it goes in AO

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

Only one problem cmelot cant hold 80 people maximum is 60 so if 40 omni in box room you get to fight only 20 clanners and new rules dont allow to warp...

Go figure out what kind of battle is that... side that feels up dungeon wins...

But its good we get one tarasque and you get one tarasque lets have neutrals to take thrid dungeon....
    Two sisters practicing medicine on Rubika and Shadowlands Pomy and Julka.

As a doctor i would prescribe you to use some common sense and a vacation to Real Life"

If i ever start a new character in Eve i will choose a name something like "aieerjjnnvajjnasdio11e3".

About the only thing I agree with in this post in that yes, people use the term "ganking" far too generally.

You were standing around in a 0% zone and someone attacked you? Not a gank. Your fault if you died.

You're in a political zone and someone 70 levels higher than you kills you? Guess what, also not a gank and your own fault.

You're in an arena dueling someone one on one and a third person attacks you? THAT is a gank.

The difference is that in the first scenarios, you have to expect you're going to get attacked. If you don't wanna be attacked like that, don't loiter around in areas that you can be shot in.

In the third situation, you're attempting to enjoy yourself in a manner in which have arranged between two consenting parties. When some childish little snot ganks you, they're willfully interfering with your enjoyment.

Did someone make anyone the "lawmaker" of AO? Of course not, but that argument is befitting a 6 year old. Even in a game there are generally accepted norms of behavior that should be followed to help ensure everyone's enjoyment.

But hey, do whatever you want. You wanna be a bratty little ganker? Cool, knock yourself out. No kill is more enjoyable for me than killing a ganker.

Originally posted by Highjack
    About the only thing I agree with in this post in that yes, people use the term "ganking" far too generally.

You were standing around in a 0% zone and someone attacked you? Not a gank. Your fault if you died.

You're in a political zone and someone 70 levels higher than you kills you? Guess what, also not a gank and your own fault.

You're in an arena dueling someone one on one and a third person attacks you? THAT is a gank.

The difference is that in the first scenarios, you have to expect you're going to get attacked. If you don't wanna be attacked like that, don't loiter around in areas that you can be shot in.

In the third situation, you're attempting to enjoy yourself in a manner in which have arranged between two consenting parties. When some childish little snot ganks you, they're willfully interfering with your enjoyment.
    Well, the implication is that in the first two situations you aren't attempting to enjoy yourself in a maneer between two consenting parties. Actually, as you point out, hanging around in those types of zones makes you fair game.

It's all ganking, no matter how you slice it.

Awwww, man!

Vegan makes a valid point, I have to admit. Picture this...

Just last night I was with some buds, drinking some cocktails, talking about the same ol' stupid stuff that usually gets discussed over drinks. A movement was afoot to move to another establishment at which we'd continue our hammering. I had about 1/2 a beer left when everyone stood up. Apparently I'd been lagging. What did I say?

"One sec while I __gank__ the rest of this beer."

I kid you not. Needless to say, my friends reaction can be summed up in three short letters -- WTF. They didn't get it and I'm afraid I have accidentally started a trend that I will soon grow to hate. Numerous things got ganked last night.

Vegan is right. THE GANKING HAS TO STOP!!!!!!!!

Bwahaha

So true, Captain's Punk.

My brother and I are both gamers and also happen to be roommates. I don't know how many times I've heard phrases like "Man, you ganked the hot dogs!"

Other phrases that simply should not happen, and do, at our house.

"You pwned that ENTIRE BAG OF CHIPS while I was at work?! I'll get my main!"

"Dude, check out the phat lewt your wife brought home from the store!"

"Sweet, this pizza r0xx0rz."

Uh yeah, anyway.

--Sandy

I may be weird, but.. I remember the first time I met someone I had only known in a game (in this case, Asheron's Call, and we were both PKs).

The guy nicknamed my daughter "Sux0r". I didn't know how "sux0r" was pronounced until that day and I had no idea anyone actually SAID the word.

It sounded kinda like "sucks-sore".

What makes this all even weirder, is I'm a chick. But then gamer chicks are a strange lot anyway.. and I'm no exception.

--Sandy

I always thought it was pronounced like it was spelled...sucks-or.

me too.. just like r0x0r (check your top-right in this page, says 'y00 r0x0r -name-' )

We say 'lol' a lot too but in my country (The Netherlands) lol actually MEANS 'fun', as in a litteral translation so I have it easy. I don't say lmao or rotfl

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

The biggest bad sign though...

...is when someone spells out L-M-A-O in person. Then you know they really are a dork and well worthy of ganking. R-O-T-F-L

Highjack said:

"You're in an arena dueling someone one on one and a third person attacks you? THAT is a gank."

I said:

"And if you do decide to use the made-up word gank, then at least apply it to -->one<-- specific reason, not every time you die in PvP."

Originally posted by Highjack
    *snip*
    you pretty much summed up what i agree with.

however, since you are a fixer in GA... anyone you attack is a gank.

Sandy - try hanging out with hacker/cracker kids.

They're even stranger, and the language is more entertaining.

That said, I still smack them if they use r0x0r or sux0r around me.
    Gunned down the young. Now old, crotchety, and back.

Re: The biggest bad sign though...

Originally posted by Captain's Punk
    ...is when someone spells out L-M-A-O in person. Then you know they really are a dork and well worthy of ganking. R-O-T-F-L
    even worse than that, i was having a conversation with my wife while playing this game, and i stopped talking until i was done zoning, then picked up where i left off. when she started to laugh at me i didn't get it, told her "sec, b-r-b, gonna a-f-k a min."

lol hilarous

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast