Thread: RUR and the Notum Wars!

RUR and the Notum Wars!

Dear RUR shareholders and members of the public,

Recently one of RUR Clan shareholders has expressed his dismay that an RUR employee was involved in an attack on one of his Clan's notum towers. I respect this investor's feelings on the matter and fully understand his desire to sever all links with RUR at this stage. I do however, for future reference, wish to clarify RUR policy on these matters.

RUR, as a company, is not involved at any level in the Omni-Clan war effort. We are a civilian, publicly listed company. We manufacture consumer goods (robots mostly) and take on ad-hoc engineering projects. Like Miir and Bronto Burgers, we do business with all factions and our shareholders include Omni, Clan and Neutral investors. We do not manufacture weapons, even despite one particular person's relentless requests for a range of small, black, killer leetbots (you know who you are!). We have never operated a notum mine, nor ever will.

That said what must be understood is that each and every RUR employee is an individual, with his or her own private life, personal beliefs and outside-work interests. What an employee does out of office hours is his own affair. It is not RUR's place to question, judge or seek to influence what an individual employee chooses to do in their spare time. We are not an organised religion, we are not the army. We do not tell our people what to think, we require them to take no oaths. A fair days work for a fair day's pay is all we ask of our work force.

If we were to dictate how an employee should behave in his or her private life based on our shareholders' sensibilities, where should we then draw the line? Should we dismiss a worker because they support the wrong zigball team? Watch Leet pron? Listen to the Duran Duran albums? I don't think so, and for as long as I am director of RUR, we will continue to treat our employees private lives as just that: private.

All of which leads me neatly to my second point. RUR is owned by you, the shareholders. If you don't agree with our policies, you have the power to change things. All you need to do is get 51% of shareholders to back you and you can call for a motion of no-confidence. That would force me and my current board of directors to resign and a new director to be appointed.

So if you feel things need to change, buy more RUR shares, speak with the other RUR shareholders and get organised. It is all in your hands.

Dabblez.

Rubi-Ka Universal Robots

/ooc
    If I may, I'd like to add a little ooc note here. There was indeed a NW incident which resulted in someone selling his RUR shares. I am perfectly okay with that, it's exactly how it should be. Anything that makes a player think about their RUR shares and act upon it is a positive. The whole purpose of having RUR shares out there is as an excuse for roleplayers to interact in character, even when it does mean the shareholders are unhappy with us.

There is however one thing that does worry me, though I suspect I might get in a whole lot of trouble by mentioning it. As I was editing the list of RUR shareholders, I was reminded of just how the number of Clan-players who own RUR shares has kept dropping with each year. This in itself would not be a big deal if it did not fit a more general trend.

Going back two years and more, I clearly recall RUR having some very strong ties with Clan roleplaying organisations. We worked with Unity of the Rose on storyline about developing a more "green" type of notum mine and with First Light on story about anti-robot terrorists attacking the Tir School of Engineering. Even in our various 'open to the public' style events, like the Science Symposium, there was a healthy amount of Clan participation.

Things have clearly changed. Where once there was a community, now it feels are if we've drifted apart. These days I cannot imagine three prominent Clan leaders like Lyricia, Cogs and Szentasha turning up to an RUR event as they did to the robo-dude ranch event, simply because it was advertised on The Buzz, without needing a special invite. If it wasn't for Channel42 I probably would not even know any Clan roleplayers at all any more.

So I am kind of wondering, where did it all go wrong? Is it something RUR's has done that has alienated Clan roleplayers ( a couple of our storylines had political overtones, but that seemed the only way to elicit some Clan reaction)? Is there a more wide-spread issue with the Clan roleplaying scene having turned more introspective ( maybe its just me, but there seemed to be curious little Clan presence at the various events during the whole Newland mayoral elections, for instance)?

Has the CoT given Clan players such a strong focus that they don't need the rest community anymore except in a clear cut adversarial role? Or have the changes in the story with the rise of Silverstone and the Sentinels simply chased off the moderate Clan roleplayers leaving only the hard-liners behind?

Maybe this is more of a topic of the Greeen Coat meetings, but as it follows from the in-character bit above, and I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this trend or if I am just imagining things.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

As a shareholder, I recommend that you give this employee a promotion and a big, fat bonus.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Interesting...

(To be honest I never realized your policies regarding other factions as such I have blantently and ignorantly, ignored all of your events chalking them up to the Omni side RP events. Having read that post I will make an effort to participate in said events in the future. Thank you for enlightening at least one RP clan leader who was not around in the noted past when RUR was discussed and involved in such matters.)

( Like Xuan, i too was under the impression that RuR events were omni sided, and tended to give the notices of events a glance, but not pay attention to them. i now stand corrected on this and will endevour to encourage Black Company members to attend events RuR hold in the future. As for myself though, as much as i would like to be more active in RP side of things as Captain of The Black Company, my timezone and work Commitments make it very difficult to attend a lot of events, i will do my best to attend when and if i can)

*Wonders how he could sneak a Black Company member into RuR's factory to plant small explosive devices into robots earmarked for omni and fencesitting customers*

Xenoclast "Steelyglint" Arai

Captain of The Black Company

Since a discussion like this simply can't be in LoA...

((I put on the agenda to have a representative from the CoT to attend your upcoming science symposium. If no one volunteers, i'll go in the interest of the Council but will not be there in any official role))

((You raise some interesting questions though. Some of it should be at the meetings, for sure. The CoT is just the CoT. It does not tell people what they can and cannot do. I think a large part of the problem is that more of the moderates have left for greener pastures. If they are moderate enough to hang out with Omnis, the recent uprising in Clan "pride" may make them think otherwise. I doubt that, though.

Dabblez, RUR has been a lot of fun over the years i've been around and even one of the doctors in Black Company has attended at least one of your events. If she ever invested money in your company, I wouldn't be too pleased to find that out but I can't tell her what she can and can't do with her credits.

I do see the shift in politics though. I have lots of questions to discuss at the next OOC meeting trying to spur more interaction between factions, starting with our CoT and BoD meetings. <3 RUR ))

I also

(( I also was under the impression that R.U.R events were strictly omni based and will start to make notes on them for our org website. Thansk for the info)).

As many clans have begun to divest themselves of their shares of your company. I wonder if that means a few of us will be able to pick up shares in the company more cheap?
    Carogelw 216/18 Soljah!
    Proud General of (AoD) Anarchists of Destruction
    (AoD) spreading the path of destruction for over 3 years

We are recruting!

(( I always try to come to one of your events. Although with Kaylee being a Sentinel and becoming less and less tolerant to Omni-Tek and Neutrals, it's sometimes hard to have a good reason to be at some event that's organised by another side.

And offcourse, a lot of events start too late for me, being European, having strict parents that restrict me from playing late in the evening or at night some time, and a busy real life schedule on top of that..

))
    Kaylee "Sary" Lykin - Fixer
    "Syree" - Shade
    Member of The Mockers

Quote Originally Posted by Sary View Post
    (( I always try to come to one of your events. Although with Kaylee being a Sentinel and becoming less and less tolerant to Omni-Tek and Neutrals, it's sometimes hard to have a good reason to be at some event that's organised by another side.
    ))
    (( RUR and Assembly have a long past... feel free to raise hell!
    I feel like I'm greifing when ever I showed... Kotts is such a rude loudmouth :S))

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    I feel like I'm greifing when ever I showed... Kotts is such a rude loudmouth :S))
    ((Awww, Kotts, we give just as much as we take ^^))
    Offer a flower to your enemy..
    If he refuses it, offer a hand
    If he refuses it, offer a bullet
    If he refuses it, give it to him anyways...

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Isn't it just a relief when you wake up in the morning and find you didnt wet the bed?!

Beyond your perfection,
    beneath you and who you used to be
    awaits who I am.

Excess Radio! Bringing you tunage 25/7!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    (( aww - but we love Kotts and Assembly just for that very reason! They are like rabbied little leets, cute and viscious.

As far as the conflict between Clan/Omni goes, we don't have to all love and agree with each other IC inorder to roleplay together; as long as a basis of reasonable maturity is maintained by all. The conflicting ideas and methods at the extreme ends of each faction is what adds a lot of ****e to Rubi-Ka. ))

(( "They are like rabbied little leets, cute and viscious."
    Hahaha! ))
    Kaylee "Sary" Lykin - Fixer
    "Syree" - Shade
    Member of The Mockers

(( ok first I am not a long time player so perhaps I could give some light why RuR is having 'problems' with the clans, seeing as how I am a clanner.

1. Shares in RuR? What is that about? How can I go about finding that information?
    2. this is in part of my lack of initiative, but i was under the impression that RuR was an omni org. The only time I have run into members of RuR was while in neutral territories and even then it was because they were hosting a party/ DJing for a party. ))

Quote Originally Posted by Copperneedle View Post
    (( ok first I am not a long time player so perhaps I could give some light why RuR is having 'problems' with the clans, seeing as how I am a clanner.

1. Shares in RuR? What is that about? How can I go about finding that information?
    2. this is in part of my lack of initiative, but i was under the impression that RuR was an omni org. The only time I have run into members of RuR was while in neutral territories and even then it was because they were hosting a party/ DJing for a party. ))

/ooc

1. Check out our website http://rubika.no-ip.com/RUR/ for an overview of how RUR shares work. The key thing to bear in mind is that the shares are fixed in number and they can only be bought from other players (the existing shareholders) or at RUR's annual shareholder meeting in July-August.

2. Yes RUR is an Omni org. All I am saying is that there was a time in which that did not seem to matter so much and the roleplaying community did not seem to be quite so segregated by faction. But times change, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I just want to say there was no implied criticism, just a genuine desire to understand how and possibly why things had changed so much.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!