Thread: Is my mind my own?

Is my mind my own?

Independent Rubikan News – Readers questions

Dear IR news,

It has been noted that on Rubi-Ka there are some who form the abilities to use nano to alter others behaviour. Some can slow the weaker willed to a state of calm while others can make others do as they will.

Those most skilled at this often go into politics where presumably their skills become useful in the diplomatic environment, others become tradesmen. This is a scale all the way down to those who can merely influence leets.

I am worried. How do I know that I am not being influenced by someone else. I recently picked up a man in a bar and went back to his flat. How do I know he was not in my mind? How do I know that it was not my husband who made me do this, or the barman?

Do any other readers have the same worries? Are their any precautions I should be taking?

Yours worriedly

Mrs Trellis
    Stret West Bank

Using one of these nanos is an act of violence. We are fortunate enough on Rubi-Ka to have massive suppresion gas generators that greatly reduce the chance of acts of violence being committed. Of course, if your are mad enough to go outside the protection of the happy gas, we'll you're on your own!

It does raise the question though, if we can chemically suppress violence, couldn't pumping a whole lot mroe suppression gas into the atmosphere bring the final end to this most damnable war? Once again science would have succeeded where politicians have failed us!

Dabblez
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

It's actually an interesting question.

With the number of outside influences out there, is your mind really your own?

Political landscape for example. Zora, refusing our invitation to talk has only led to our own thoughts on what is in store for us. Which, in this case, led to the CoT helping to arm citizens.

If you ask me, it was deliberate.

If Des's mind isn't his own... then Des is dead therefore... I CLAIM HIS STUFF!

AND

I claim rights to the TOP, and the IRK Beer stash.
    GorgeFodder3 - Deceased
    NotumFodder - New and improved with 80% more loyalty to Omni

Till All Are Free?

You aren't getting the TOP! it's not safe in the hands of nutters like you...with that kind of power comes...oh heck, can you imagine the scale of the mess over RK if you we're let loose with the TOP? Its kept safe on Pentors for a reason you know.

As for the booze, leave off. We're stashing that up for IR's Party on Friday 1st December (5th year birthday party, and celebration for Neutrals getting the ability to form there own organisations and companies). For all those of you without a invite...you're now invited to Reets to get down and party

As for Des's mind hmm, eek...scary thought really, partically when he currently has the hotseat on the TOP. Been a few times I am sure I've never been fully in control. But then again think you all know that

Then again...never trust a barman :P
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Tin foil hat. That's whit ye need, a guid tin foil hat.

I've lined the inside o' mah helm wi' foil, it keeps oot the strange rays fae the aliums tae, an' it keeps the heat in a treat.

Ah wid advise ye use nice clean foil though, unless yer goin' fur a hairstyle that looks like the back end o' a leet and need the grease or sommat.
    Willone, Engineer in R.U.R. R&D.
    Where the thinking does the robots

Quote Originally Posted by Willone View Post
    Tin foil hat. That's whit ye need, a guid tin foil hat.

I've lined the inside o' mah helm wi' foil, it keeps oot the strange rays fae the aliums tae, an' it keeps the heat in a treat.

Ah wid advise ye use nice clean foil though, unless yer goin' fur a hairstyle that looks like the back end o' a leet and need the grease or sommat.
    Uhh wha'? why do we have to fear aliums or anything else when we have control of the TOP? *sighs* amateurs and there tin foil hats...anyone would think he was a fixer of summit.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

// Entry By -Destrier

What a tantalizing entry!
    You did send me on a weeklong dig into gridpockets I havent walked in years,
    thank you. I will not bore you with all the although interesting rather long and
    heavy content here. Do spend some credits and time into the research yourselves
    It does pay off.
    Actually history tells us quite a bit.
    (And No, your mind is never your own not that it should be.)

-Ancient History (ICC archives) 22century
    First realizations into this was on old earth when the first Corps like -Mindshare-
    Came into the top 5 corps for ads and Informational marketing. And started
    working not only for other multinational Corps but also for syndicalistical
    "political" organisations. Using other metods then previosly used in this segment.
    This was the first turn when Human synergy became irationally controlled by
    more influential third parties.

(might also be worth mentioning the amount of credits spent on the
    psycological effects of colors and shapes on the human mind for use in
    ads at this time became 10times the amounts used for medical research
    for aids treatment a horrible plauge at this time)

/But again this really was the dark ages when we where nothing but unciviliced Pre-solitus Brutes

-Current History (ICC Archives)
    There are batteries of laws to our advantages unleased in more resent history
    their relative effect may vary and are indeed debatable.
    But we have them, aswell as the more direct effect here at home. "Mindcontrol"
    is indeed forced to retreat may you be in suitably gas consentration
    classificated territory. But this is dominated by Nanoprogramcontrol.
    Indeed as use of nanoprograms is partialy hindered it does hinder the skilled
    puppeteer somewhat, never entierly though.

-Security
    I do say if you wish to have any say in this matter it goes to show that information
    is needed. do some investigation on your own. But if you do have the knowledge
    you seek already or dont feel up to the task acumulating it. Do make friends with your
    local implant surgent. Have full manual control of implant settings. And Im sure
    you´ll atleast feel safe even towards the more crude and slow -BUT- longlasting and final
    methods.

But is your mind really your own?

I think not, nor should it be. Although its all relative, but synergy in our
    understanding is not so mutch influenced by our imidate peers as it is
    by powers that do know better. Hwo are individuals for that matter to claim better
    knowledge then a collective of minds may they be "Council of truth" or our
    esteemed Omni-Tek leaders.
    The individual contra the collective.. a neverending balance.

(( / OOC:
    Yea I know I drift on the verge of oocing into the IC above but hey I took some classes on this subject in college and its way to interesting not to mention "old earth" facts. Mindshare = 2nd largest Ad/info corp(and "almost" only using un-conventional metods) for those interested
    :OOC / ))
    Last edited by Des; Nov 7th, 2006 at 09:09:56.
    -You must be the change you wish to see-
    (Omni-Mining) Iivanov Clark (Iivanov) Gear 200-Soldier
    (Omni-Mining) Tamena (Tamena) Gear 85-Trader
    Omni-Mining | Omni-Mining Propaganda | Omni-Pol
    Atlantean RP gimp since dec 2001