Thread: Tarasque and the Tarabot

Tarasque and the Tarabot

I have had a lot of questions regarding Tarabot and the raffle system. Or, more accurately, every time I log on, I get 2-3 people sending me tells. So hopefully I can answer everything in a single message and stop some of the onslaught.

First, Tarabot has two functions: chat and raffle. These two functions are unrelated with the exception of the access list.

The chat system has the following commands (via tell):

CHAT (user) - if you are in the access list, Tarabot will invite you.
    LEAVE (user) - kicks you out of chat
    INVITE (admin) - force an invite to someone not in access list.
    KICK (admin) - kick someone out of chat
    KICKALL (admin) - kick everyone out of chat
    LOCK (admin) - lock chat so CHAT requests don't work
    UNLOCK (admin) - unlock chat

The raffle system has:

CREATE (admin) - create a playfield
    OPEN (admin) - open a playfield for raffle registration (and this is spammed to chat)
    REGISTER (user) - registers the requesting user for raffles in the playfield
    CLOSE (admin) - close a playfield's registration period (also spammed to chat)
    DEAD (admin) - marks time of death for Tarasque (spammed to chat)
    RAFFLE (admin) - starts a raffle for an item (spammed to chat)
    ENTER (user) - enters the requesting user into a raffle
    ROLL (admin) - selects a potential winner out of those who ENTERed (spammed to chat)
    WINNER (admin) - closes the raffle and sets the winner (spammed to chat)

Access control functions:

ADD (admin) - adds a player to the access list
    REMOVE (admin) - removes a player from the access list
    BAN (admin) - locks a player out of the access list
    WHOIS (admin) - shows the database entry for that user (for admin verification of the ADD/REMOVE/BAN commands)

-----

So now to address the questions/issues:

Can I have administrative access to Tarabot?

You're asking the wrong person. Talk to Javaschick. I add/remove people at her direction.

We want to be able to see what happens behind the scenes on Tarabot.

Nothing happens behind the scenes. Please note in the command list above how "spammed to chat" is popular. Everything the admin does regarding the playfield and raffles is broadcast to all participants.

We don't trust <insert admin here>.

Note that there are no administrative functions for modifying the registration or raffle lists. The admin(s) can't do anything to tamper with the raffle.
    I am the only one who has access to the server and the database and consequently the only person who could tamper with the raffle. To ensure that there is no issue here, I have not and will not register for raffles.

If you have issues with admin behavior, talk to Javaschick.

Can I get a copy of the source?

Sorry, no. Tarabot was only about three hours of work because I used perl modules from my company. The code doesn't leave my server unless at some point later I choose to rewrite those portions.

We need a copy of the source so we can verify the integrity of the raffle.

No, you don't. I could just as easily send you bogus code. The best I can do is provide the model (which I am happy to do) and you either take my word for it or you don't.

The ROLL function does the following (in a mixture of perl and SQL):

$count_entered = SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tarabot_entered WHERE raffle=<raffle id>
    $roll = int(rand($count_entered))
    $winner = SELECT user FROM tarabot_entered WHERE raffle=<raffle id> LIMIT $roll,1

In english: it counts the people who used ENTER, picks a number randomly from that count, then counts down the list of ENTERed people to that number. It's not rocket science.

We'd like to see a point system implemented.

Whatever. This is not my issue. Talk to Javaschick.

We don't like the rules.

Whatever. This is not my issue. Talk to Javaschick.

Why do you keep referring us to Javaschick?

She's the one that's been organizing raids. All I did was develop a tool to provide more reliable chat and an efficient raffle system.

-----

In summary, please stop sending me tells unless you want to discuss something positive. When I'm in the game, I'm trying to play and socialize with my friends, not defend Tarabot or the looting rules at Tarasque.

I appreciate those of you (the majority) that have been enthusiastic about Tarabot. I'm just a little fried right now from people who are trying to dramatize the loot issue, especially when it's something that I've voluntarily given up in order to enhance the experience for other clanners.
    Last edited by aaronb; Aug 23rd, 2002 at 07:54:42.
    Kennan - President, Arcane Legacy
    Asmoran - Retired (Former President, Synergy Factor)

Oh, and yes, I will set up a second copy of tarabot for the omni if they like. And no, I won't compromise the integrity of their bot in that situation. It is an OOC service and the omni are only my enemy in-game.
    Kennan - President, Arcane Legacy
    Asmoran - Retired (Former President, Synergy Factor)

great job on the bot, and tnx alot for the time and effort you have invested in this, tnx to javas and loster also.

As for giving the bot to omnis... hehehe.. i like to see you turn their loot system into code
    Znails

Thanks for your great work Asmodan!

Javaschick don't want any whining or complains either, so don't bother sending those to her.

If you don't trust Tarabot or the raids, don't join, no point in complaining.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Asmi sweetie,

You did a AWESOME job creating the bot and we are all very very thankful. All of you should leave asmi alone...he made the bot FOR all of us NOT to listen to your complaints...the only tells you should send him are to THANK him for all his hard work. I don't see how any of you can question his integrity or his honesty when he doesn't even participate in the raffles for the loot. I remember when we didn't "win" tarasque and the omni's had control of the castle....everyone wanted us to get organized and win back the castle. Well...you got your wish, we have the castle, you all get a equal chance at the loot every time tarasque is killed. There are no reasons for complaints. The rules are simple and fair to everyone that shows up at any given raid. If Asmi makes a bot for the omni's to use I personally think that would be very nice nice of him and again I would hope no complaints to him from that side either. I would teach the admins how to use the bot as well as it is a OOC service and Asmi has already done far enough by creating the bot.

I love you all,
    Javaschick
    member of Apocalypse

Question Jeez....

I'm the ENEMY and I trust Javas and Asmo.

I can't imagine a fairer system.

What is wrong with this picture?
    Last edited by Vergil; Aug 23rd, 2002 at 17:37:30.
    Vergil : OT NT : Dept of Applied Nanotechnology
    Jobe Plaza
    Retired NT Professional
    Proud Owner of RubiKa's Biggest Banjo Collection
    Server First!

Thumbs up Thank you

What you people have done is fantastic. There are not many people who would use their own time to provide i service.

As far as i am concerned things are fine if someone wants to have a bot with other functions, reinforced credabilty etcetc... let them create one. Without a bot there would be total chaos.. i have seen this. I don't care if there are small questions about the bot IT IS AS FAIR AS IT CAN GET !!!!!!!!

Some peole have taken part in the raids for a very long time and never won others have won on first attendance... But no one wins ALL the time.

BICKERING AND WHINING is only motivated by greed, fear and no morals in an a MMORPG (because of the anonamous factor). STOP IT... carry on and omni will get the castle back.

The only thing i am unhappy with is not being able to get into the PF and people asking on tarabot 'is tara up yet?', 'is omni there?' and 'do we have box?' Do as i do log on early get your azz to PF buff up and run for the box. If you are not in the kill team your job is to defend/ help take the box.. EVEN IF IT MEANS DYING in the process (thats how you earn your right to a chance to win loot) Note at lvl 125 (min age) you will be killed if atttacked by a lvl150+ ... thats the way it is.

Well done all and thank you to the brave, the creative and the persistant. A trader who has been going there through lvls (125 -150)

P.s If you dont want to fight and die don't go
    Last edited by brioni; Aug 23rd, 2002 at 10:26:27.

Re: Jeez....

Originally posted by Vergil

You must be a clanner in your heart!

You want freedom, but too scared to change so you hide behind your fancy buildings!

Or Java and Asmodan are just great persons...
    Azzazzimon

Account closed.

I think the Omni loot system is pretty simple. At least, when you boil it down:
    If you're not in TC, Trinity, or MoK, you don't get Tara loot when they make the kill. If you are a member, you can enter the raffle.

Thank you for this wonderfull tool. Its very well done, and I think a fair system. Thank you.
    Nitsobar - lvl 219/13 Doc - Equipment - Perks - History
    MrBruce - lvl 204/6 MA - Equipment - Perks - History
    MsHackalot - lvl 123/9 Twink Fixer - Equipment - Perks - History

Veterans of Synergy Factor

Click to email me

Originally posted by Shub
    I think the Omni loot system is pretty simple. At least, when you boil it down:
    If you're not in TC, Trinity, or MoK, you don't get Tara loot when they make the kill. If you are a member, you can enter the raffle.
    Why don't you organize raids yourself then?
    If all other omnis go together I bet you will have a good amount of people...

Don't blame other people when you don't even try yourself.
    Azzazzimon

Account closed.

nice one!

That is a very handy dandy piece of code you've got there, Asmodan. Bravo!

gj Asmo. I know I've told you this in game already... quite a few times... but i might as well further your rep on the boards...

cuz I know how important that is to you!

Originally posted by Azzazzimon

Why don't you organize raids yourself then?
    If all other omnis go together I bet you will have a good amount of people...

Don't blame other people when you don't even try yourself.
    1. I'm not interested in Tara loot
    2. I'm not even in a guild
    3. If TC/Trinity/MoK can own Tara, it's their right to take loot
    4. I was joking, not bitter. Sorry if you were looking for a

Re: Jeez....

Originally posted by Vergil

Whats wrong with this picture? Nothing. I wish some clanners could trust Javas and Asmoran like you.

Maybe you are a clanner at heart...

Thank you Javas and Asmoran for this wonderful tool and getting the clans organized.
    - Cyrus Cyblade7 Crown
    - General of Redemption

Asmoran,

I sent you a tell in game, would love to sit down and have a chat with you about your bot (and another) that peaks my intrest.

Btw, good work on the bot...
    215 Solitus Soldier RK1
    Advisor Midnight Reveries.

Do politics exist? Yes.
    Who's involved in them? Anyone who wants to be.

If you spend your time worrying about what everyone else is doing in their lives, you'll miss what's happening in yours.